Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“Dude how could you leak that I was the leaker”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

His account was corroborated by a second member who read many of the same classified documents shared by OG, and who also spoke on the condition of anonymity. Both members said they know OG’s real name as well as the state where he lives and works but declined to share that information while the FBI is hunting for the source of the leaks. The investigation is in its early stages, and the Pentagon has set up its own internal review led by a senior official.

Black SUVs approach with malicious intent.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What’s the punishment if he’s active duty?

Good to see it’s a classic narcissist moron instead of a ultra HSLD spy op.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What’s the punishment if he’s active duty?

Good to see it’s a classic narcissist moron instead of a ultra HSLD spy op.

Court Martial followed by a stay in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Don't post classified material! gently caress!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like how the kid basically gave up enough information in the interview for the DoJ to hunt the guy down, but insists he isn't going to give him up.

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 13, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Court Martial followed by a stay in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

A *long* stay. This was one of the largest leaks of classified intel in decades, comparable in scale to Snowden and Wikileaks. And according to the story, as of a couple days ago he was still in the US.

Reality Winner leaked one document to a reporter and was imprisoned for 5 years. This very smart and sophisticated consumer of intel leaked hundreds if not thousands of docs, some of which were rated top secret, to foreign nationals. He may get out for his 65th birthday, if he's good.

psydude posted:

I like how the kid basically gave up enough information in the interview for the DoJ to hunt the guy down, but insists he is going to give him up.

Whatever lawyer advised that kid's parents to let him be videotaped without his voice being altered should be disbarred for terminal stupidity. That kid is also going to jail (with luck, as a minor, depending on how he cooperates) and probably within the next few days/hours. Given all the information that's been disclosed already the DoJ almost certainly has complete IP location data for everyone who's accessed that cozy racist server and the ducks are busily quacking as they arrange themselves in a row.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 13, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The way it's worded in the article, it kinda seems ambiguous whether these kids are actually trying to protect the source. Could just as well be read as that they've already told everything to the FBI, but don't want to out the leaker in public while the FBI are moving in to capture him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Washington Post is certainly not publishing anything not cleared with the FBI. And what they are publishing, they're letting the FBI vet before publication.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

quote:

He’s a smart person. He knew what he was doing when he posted these documents, of course. These weren’t accidental leaks of any kind,” the member said.

lmao

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

quote:

“He’s a smart person. He knew what he was doing when he posted these documents, of course. These weren’t accidental leaks of any kind,” the member said.

Here's the part I want to bold.

"I just want you to know that there are no mitigating circumstances here. Absolutely none. Complete premeditation and flawless execution as planned, at absolutely nobody's request."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kids say the darndest things.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

quote:

The member, as well as the OG follower who corroborated his account, found no fault in their leader’s actions and instead said they blame the teen who posted the documents on the wow_mao server for wrecking their community.

“Maybe we should have had better opsec,”

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

Happy "Digging Trenches in the Red Forrest" day! Is it a year already? Wow.

https://twitter.com/MamedovGyunduz/status/1646424480024018948

Btw, the cruiser Moskva had a very sad collision with some Neptune missiles a year ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

He annotated some of the hand-typed documents, the member said, translating arcane intel-speak for the uninitiated, such as explaining that “NOFORN” meant the information in the document was so sensitive it must not be shared with foreign nationals.
we've cracked the code boys

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Alan Smithee posted:

we've cracked the code boys

quote:

Of the roughly 25 active members who had access to the bear-vs-pig channel, about half were located overseas, the member said. The ones who seemed most interested in the classified material claimed to be from mostly “Eastern Bloc and those post-Soviet countries,” he said.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And lo, the warship did gently caress itself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is there a chance dude is a civilian contractor? How would that change things if he was

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a chance dude is a civilian contractor? How would that change things if he was

regular prison vs Leavenworth

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What do you mean rel Minecraft isn't a thing?

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451124155699200

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451129578930179

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451136046551040

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451142174334977

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451148063141888

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451153935257600

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451159006101511

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1646451163728838663

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

After shuttering the Thug Shaker Central server, OG moved the community to another server to communicate with his online family.

this is a gold fringed server, they can't touch us

quote:

In his final message to his companions, OG admonished them to “keep low and delete any information that could possibly relate to him,” the member said. That included any copies of the classified documents OG had shared.
SHREDDING MY MONITOR FOR YOU OG

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 13, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
OG SON OF UG.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

OG SON OF UG.

Ug might’ve been a dumb camp counselor, but none of his kids grew up to be that kind of moron :colbert:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Okay, but what's the actual advantage of energy weapons over bullets, when it comes to shooting down drones? Does it actually need to be lasers (unproven on the battlefield) or would something that goes "bang" also do the job, but be more reliable?

Not running out of ammunition that costs an order of magnitude more than what you're shooting at.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Here's the part I want to bold.

"I just want you to know that there are no mitigating circumstances here. Absolutely none. Complete premeditation and flawless execution as planned, at absolutely nobody's request."

It’s a fringe orthodox Christian group who got kicked off other discord servers for their virulent racism and described by Bellingcat as Neo-Nazi adjacent.

So, pretty typical for the far right extremist movement.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

mllaneza posted:

The Washington Post is certainly not publishing anything not cleared with the FBI. And what they are publishing, they're letting the FBI vet before publication.

That's kinda the opposite of how journalists operate (especially at places like the Washington Post). There's no way they're voluntarily telling the FBI who their anonymous sources are.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Reminder that the journalist that literally gave enough information away to a government official in an interview for them to identify Reality Winner has never faced actual professional or public consequences, and still works as a natsec reporter while people blame Glenn Greenwald for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Reminder that the journalist that literally gave enough information away to a government official in an interview for them to identify Reality Winner has never faced actual professional or public consequences, and still works as a natsec reporter while people blame Glenn Greenwald for it.

Glenn Greenwald deserves to be ostracized anyways.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Glenn Greenwald deserves to be ostracized anyways.

I'm a charter member of gently caress Glenn Greenwald, but it's loving mind-boggling that the dude I'm specifically not naming to make a point is not a Cautionary Tale chapter in J-school

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

GD_American posted:

When you’re a founder and the flagship reporter the brand is built on, like Glenn was, you own the fuckups of the organization you built, even if they’re not in your direct reporting structure. Cheney didn’t stack detainees in an Iraqi prison but sure as poo poo it’s on him.

It is an organizational failure to brand yourself as a investigative reporting leader without the training and support to not fall for the most basic tradecraft measures. “Automatically watermark classified documents” was stale enough for Tom Clancy to have it be Jack Ryan’s analyst career, over thirty years ago.

gently caress them both.

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1646492249134342146

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GD_American posted:

I'm a charter member of gently caress Glenn Greenwald, but it's loving mind-boggling that the dude I'm specifically not naming to make a point is not a Cautionary Tale chapter in J-school

Why isn't anyone naming and shaming the other guy then?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

That's the combat engineer approved way of dealing with urban warfare.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"no im not a chomo. I did this for the children though"

*whole yard starts laughing*

"stop it guys, anyone know where I can log on? Please stop laughing"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why isn't anyone naming and shaming the other guy then?

The worst reason of all- nobody cares

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Espionage is punishable by death according to the UCMJ. I think they might have a hard time proving that this chucklefuck was working specifically for a foreign nation but I'm not a JAG so who knows.

The article said he worked on base right? Doesn't mean he is/was active duty. A LOT of civilian contractors running about.

I served (on a submarine) with a guy who married John Walker's daughter. That dude really did a number on our Submarine Fleet and he ended up dying in Leavenworth. Walker, not the dude I served with. He almost lost his clearance but all of that is a whole other story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didn’t know that dude had a daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Alan Smithee posted:

I didn’t know that dude had a daughter

He had two. My buddy got introduced to her by another guy on our boat that was dating the sister.