Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Noosphere posted:

What if someone wants to go from DC to NY ?

There's other options.

The Silver Meteor departs DC at 7:07. There's a 7:00 Acela and a 7:10 NER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Fair. I had expected far worse from the US train system.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Silver Star and Silver Meteor (and Palmetto, which used to be called the Silver Palm) are intended for Tampa/Miami to New York long distance service, so they want to shield long distance customers from getting seats bought out by people using it as commuter service on the NEC instead of using MARC, SEPTA, or NJT. The discharge flags are fit into the rush hours. The Silver Meteor runs north during morning rush hour and the Silver Star during the evening rush hour. But, they only have them for the northbound runs. Going south, anyone that's using them for commuting doesn't have the potential to eat up seats that you need for people boarding south of the NEC. You also see it at the south end where they run during rush hour, overlapping with Brightline.

The Palmetto doesn't get those flags. It doesn't get to DC until closer to 8PM and the only discharge only stops are in northern New Jersey late at night, which implies to me that they're more there for schedule purposes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Interesting article on how hosed up American railroads have become due to the emphasis on short term profits
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/02/business/norfolk-southern-railroad-safety.html

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know if there a model railroading thread that'd be better suited to this, but I just a model I've been hunting g for for a while, and I must post.

I've been really fascinated by geared steam engines lately, especially since playing Railroads online. I just there'd something very cool about the look of them, they way they work, all the moving parts, etc...

The Climax engines are especially cool to me, and I've been looking for this model for a while.

I've been trying to back into modeling, and especially here in the PNW, I though it'd fun to try and do a narrow gauge logging style railroad.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That's incredible!

I have a small G gauge collection, but it's not set up, just stored at my parents' house. One day in the far future if I ever save up to buy a house I plan to make a layout.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't know if there a model railroading thread that'd be better suited to this, but I just a model I've been hunting g for for a while, and I must post.

I've been really fascinated by geared steam engines lately, especially since playing Railroads online. I just there'd something very cool about the look of them, they way they work, all the moving parts, etc...

The Climax engines are especially cool to me, and I've been looking for this model for a while.

I've been trying to back into modeling, and especially here in the PNW, I though it'd fun to try and do a narrow gauge logging style railroad.

This is awesome! My dad runs a shay on his garden layout.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

That’s a nice looking locomotive. I’m not aware of a better model railroading thread, so please, post away. Are you thinking to build indoors or outdoors?

I’m lucky enough to have a huge basement under a sprawling ranch house, and my wife has graciously ceded about 1200 SQFT (110 m2) for me to build a model railroad. I’m doing the Chicago and Northwestern in HO, from Chicago to Geneva. So far all I’ve got done is the lower-level staging yard. Hell, maybe I’ll post pics of my progress if people want.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I keep thinking about doing a N scale layout in my basement.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Full Collapse posted:

I keep thinking about doing a N scale layout in my basement.

Do it! Post about it, too!

Got a particular era, railroad, region in mind?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kathmandu posted:

That’s a nice looking locomotive. I’m not aware of a better model railroading thread, so please, post away. Are you thinking to build indoors or outdoors?

I’m lucky enough to have a huge basement under a sprawling ranch house, and my wife has graciously ceded about 1200 SQFT (110 m2) for me to build a model railroad. I’m doing the Chicago and Northwestern in HO, from Chicago to Geneva. So far all I’ve got done is the lower-level staging yard. Hell, maybe I’ll post pics of my progress if people want.

This will be my first foray into outdoor railroading. I've got a bunch of HO stuff I've used and need to re-set up once the basement is suitable for such use, buy the focus on that one has always been a bit more modern stuff. Lots of diesel, and electric stuff.

This one though I'd like focus exclusively on steam, preferably late 1800s to early 1900s era stuff, and narrow gauge if possible. And I figure if I'm going to make something outdoors, I'd like to have some fun with it. I'd like to include a pond and area for a bridge, and lots of live plants. One of the local nurseries here has these really nice outdoor bonsai pine trees that'd be awesome for a little logging camp area.

I've got a few trains and cars, and a pretty good length of track, switches, etc... that once it gets nice enough to consistently be outside here I'll get to work on.
The Climax was one engine I'd really been wanting though, and was super happy to score that. I'd like to try to find a 2-6-0 Mogul of similar quality, but G scale stuff be expensive yo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

kathmandu posted:

Do it! Post about it, too!

Got a particular era, railroad, region in mind?

1980s US since I already have stuff from a kid that fills that era. Plus steam, because yes.

No particular region, but mountains stand to be involved since they’re good breakup scenery between biospheres.

I’m just messing with CAD software on a 4’x8’ layout at the moment, so who knows when I’ll start buying stuff.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I wish I had a basement for a model railroad. I'm super jelly of y'all that do.

I finally landed a bid to work a train that runs in daylight hours, and one of the off days is the same day of the week that a local model railroad club has meetings. I'm thinking about joining them.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Model Railroads are more than welcome in the scale modeling thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
There is that or ya'll more than welcome to talk about model trains here too

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It’s one of my dreams to have a garden or outdoor model rr one day so definitely digging that content

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
God I've got no room in my basement so my HO bachmann garbage is in storage as well. I did know some one who had an N scale setup in a large hard shell suitcase though. It's super tempting to go that route, if I didn't already invest in HO because it's the most common in America and I was thinking of parts availability at the time.

Edit: what are the best virtual rail road sims these days? I stumbled into some Derail Valley vids and man if that doesn't look tempting too.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Turbinosamente posted:

God I've got no room in my basement so my HO bachmann garbage is in storage as well. I did know some one who had an N scale setup in a large hard shell suitcase though. It's super tempting to go that route, if I didn't already invest in HO because it's the most common in America and I was thinking of parts availability at the time.

Edit: what are the best virtual rail road sims these days? I stumbled into some Derail Valley vids and man if that doesn't look tempting too.

IMHO run8 is the best for american railroads, but it is pretty hardcore. It is a huge train sandbox, with really good physics, that allows for multiplayer, dispatching etc. There is nothing currently that comes close, that said the it is really rough in some places and not the prettiest sim out there.

Derail Valley is pretty good too, I just find the world boring and the operations are a bit simple. The VR support is fantastic though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SwimNurd posted:

IMHO run8 is the best for american railroads, but it is pretty hardcore. It is a huge train sandbox, with really good physics, that allows for multiplayer, dispatching etc. There is nothing currently that comes close, that said the it is really rough in some places and not the prettiest sim out there.

Derail Valley is pretty good too, I just find the world boring and the operations are a bit simple. The VR support is fantastic though.

Sim Rail is multiplayer with a dispatch mode and has good reviews and is on steam. I haven't played it yet but it looks good.

Railroads Online is janky and terrible. You start on a map that has a 0-4-0 and no rail. You need to lay all your own track and the method for it actually works now. It is possible to make 10% grades and 30ft curves but the included switches are HUGE for narrow gauge. It's built to be multiplayer so unlike Derail Valley if you have friends to play with there will be other trains running around. But the physics can be funky, there is a speed cap on most of the engines, and only the host has any kind of render distance which makes long-train operations less fun. The steam simulation is so bad you can run full throttle/full regulator 100% of the time as long as you keep the fire stoked. But I can't stop playing it. Recommended if on sale. Great game if what you want from model railroading is to build a stupid (or nice) rail alignment and run trains around it while drinking. I've only played by myself, but I can see how the game would be a ton of fun with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EANHim2OFI&t=67s

Derail Valley is good. Great with mods. The map is varied with lots of different stations and industries that are set up so you don't always seem to run unit trains. Train cars are persistent enough that you can get jobs to assemble a train, then get a job to run that train out of another station, then get a job to disassemble the train. Starting out is hard because the base diesel is a switching unit and there are some very steep hills. Petroleum cars will explode if damaged. Environmental damage is a game mechanic. Note that you will only ever be the only train on the entire map, so the game does feel lifeless. I love this game, but right now it needs modding. Here is the nexus mods page: https://www.nexusmods.com/derailvalley?tab=popular+%28all+time%29 just grab anything with Zeibach's name on it and the skin tool and car spawner. Highly Recommended, but the upcoming Simulator update is going to change the game a lot but will include a price increase as well. Also highly recommended for Gomez Adams play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CnNv2xdTXQ
IF what you want to model is yard operations this is a great option. Line operations are good too.

Trainz is probably the most overt "build a train layout and run it like a model railroad" game out there. I haven't bought any version since 2008 but they all have the same problem of being heavily user-content driven but using a subscription model of varying amounts for downloading that content. I don't like it for that reason (at least it's on Steam now even if they refuse to use the workshop)
Probably the best layout builder out there though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFkfNKqj4CM&t=36s

Run8 can only be bought off their own website. I ain't got time for that (because I need to get the back loop done in Railroads Online)

Train Simulator Classic/Train Sim World are both entirely fine. They have a gently caress load of routes and trains available, but it all kinda sucks, somehow. TSW adds playway style "Click on the fuel cap. Move the fuel pump to the filler. Press the mouse button to fuel" it's not that compelling.

Anyways just get Choo Choo Charles.

edit:
poo poo forgot about Diesel Railcar Simulator run '60s British commuter rail. It's not pretty but it runs great, has great assist modes, is mod-able (with workshop support), and is actually a ton of fun. There is a good variety of scenarios to run as well, from Through trains (stop at 0 stations) to slow stopping services. The scenario selection screen also shows the estimated time for a run so if you only have 20 minutes to play you can get an appropriate scenario. Brake simulation is good on this one. Also any train on the schedule is able to be run.
Recommended, especially if what you're looking for is to learn a particular route/train and finessing line speed and braking distances or comparing one run to the next.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUdhG9AHdw

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 14, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've spent just over two years refinishing my basement to build my layout. It is a pretty slow go when you're one person working almost entirely alone and also working on a Masters at the same time. I hope to finally be done by the end of the month and can start working on the layout. HO scale, contemporary, Pittsburgh area. The thing is being built around three things: a large river crossing, a rolling mill because I have an endless hunger for coil cars, and handling a full-up Superliner Capitol Limited (the pre-pandemic version when it still ran two P42s, baggage, three sleepers, diner, lounge, three coaches) plus enough cushion for a private car on the end. If I had the pockets for it, I'd probably have gone all in on a NEC layout, but that much passenger equipment is expensive.

From 2008 to 2014, I had a small switching layout that I dismantled when it wouldn't fit into the apartment I had to move to. The one I'd been living it got demolished, which was an interesting experience. Since 2016, I've been running with a modular club and have a couple modules. On one hand, I can run whatever I want, which is great and gave me an excuse to run steam and lots of long gone road names. On the other hand, I can run whatever I want, which enables me to have an excuse to buy whatever I want. It also does not help that my wife frequently encourages things like "hey look, this one says FAMOUS BACON on it, so you should get it" and I'm there holding a pre-war reefer for some packing house thinking "hrm."

I'm surprised to find that I have virtually no pictures that I've taken. They're all in storage right now, or I'd set them up to take some pictures.

Not a very good angle of my little village. The unballasted track is one of the module joints. There's six houses, all depicting actual houses in Pittsburgh.

The module to the left, where the grade crossing is, has this house on it. A stock Walthers farmhouse kit, but my wife wanted a house with a wraparound porch, porch swing, and metal roof. The porch swing is on chains, so it swings freely.

My third module is a river crossing, but I don't seem to have any pictures of it.

I'm still learning to weather equipment. This is my favorite one though.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Those are all rad as hell, but I must give you a friendly "oh gently caress off!" for making me think about my employer (G&W) on my weekend. I'm jealous of you as well. Might see if I can get a shelf layout incorporated to my house.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Allow me to go deep into the gently caress off area with something that personally delighted me.

My two G&W locomotives are Buffalo & Pittsburgh, one of which is #458. I grew up in Butler, PA, where the B&P's shops are. My wife is from Vidalia, GA, where the G&W operates the Georgia Central. A couple of years ago, we were down there visiting her family and what should be sitting in the little yard in downtown Vidalia?

(You can't really take very good pictures when you're sitting at a red light and leaning over another person)

They loaned some B&P power to the GC that summer. BPRR 458 is my only non-Amtrak model locomotive I've ever actually seen.

I managed to find another couple pictures:

The UP passenger train belongs to another guy in the club. Full length California Zephyr. Takes forever to go by.

The houses before I installed them on the module.

The red houses were inspired by these three houses: https://goo.gl/maps/VGKRrDCURk9fom719
The other three were inspired by these three houses: https://goo.gl/maps/Lt8LxYe88R3eLxXm7
There's a little church around the corner from those last three, which is why I included a church.

A few little touches I included are things like a Pittsburgh Steelers flag on one of the houses, a realtor sign from a Western Pennsylvania realtor, and the church is named for the patron saint of coal miners.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I used to have a fairly large n scale layout in my basement, but I found that temperature variations really affected the tracks to the point where I just couldn’t run anything in the winter without poo poo derailing all over the place. I still might do another layout, but it’ll be a small switching layout I can control via jmri or something.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well I didn't realize there were so many model railroading here.

I might as well show off the rest of my current collection.

I mostly just got stuff on display here, the rest of my HO stuff is at my parents house in another state, but I'd eventually like to get another HO Layout going.

Here's some more G scale stuff sitting until I can get my full layout completed

And yes, I bought the little Porter engine entirely because of RailRoads Online.

And the rest of my stuff:

The big 4-6-0 I really don't like that much compared to the other stuff. It's part of the Big Haulers line and is really more of a toy, and has significantly poorer build quality and materials than the rest of the stuff.

Still though, it looks nice from a distance at least.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Since the floor space is such a problem with model railroads, has anyone done a track on the walls around a room?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Check out dansrailroad2011 for tips on weathering cars

Nsmodeler24 for engine mods and weathering

Both on youtube

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There was an auction at a concrete yard here last year, and they had a whole quonset with a huge train set-up. They had some locomotives that went for over $1k, i couldn't believe it.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscmo/catalogue-id-bscmo10125/search-filter?categoryCode=RCE

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

There was an auction at a concrete yard here last year, and they had a whole quonset with a huge train set-up. They had some locomotives that went for over $1k, i couldn't believe it.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscmo/catalogue-id-bscmo10125/search-filter?categoryCode=RCE

I can believe it, especially if it's one of the higher end models. A lot of the big stuff, or the really high end stuff gets insanily e pensive real fast.

Hell, that Climax I posted earlier normally goes for like $600-$800, and I guess I managed to find someone on Ebay who didn't know what they had.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I can believe it, especially if it's one of the higher end models. A lot of the big stuff, or the really high end stuff gets insanily e pensive real fast.

Hell, that Climax I posted earlier normally goes for like $600-$800, and I guess I managed to find someone on Ebay who didn't know what they had.

Apparently that bottom one, which is actually butane/steam powered, had a $4,300 MSRP. what even is money

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh Yeah, live steam models easily get into 4K+ territory.

I thought at one point that'd be something that be fun to have, but bounced off that idea once I started seeing engines going for like 5K.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

And that's the small live steam.

There's a club near me that does ridable-scale large steam (I think like a 6 or 8 inch gauge on the tracks?) and I really wanted to do that as a kid. Then I grew up and learned how much it cost.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/CPKCrail/status/1592934634257633281?s=20

I thought this was cool

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Since the floor space is such a problem with model railroads, has anyone done a track on the walls around a room?

Yup, you can find normal ones and also lego trains that run around the room. Typically of HO or larger scale as they run around right above the door trim and are thus above most people's line of sight.

However, if floor space is an issue, you can also do as the previous poster had done and make a module. Hell, you could take a large layout you like and chop it up into modules to make it easier to work and store. While HO is the normal US scale, N and Z are becoming popular as well thanks to the layout you can make while taking up a small amount of space. One of the more common modules if you want interaction is a simple switching setup. This is where you have a mainline and 3 or 4 branching shunts. With the idea being a game using a standard d6 dice to manifest either where 6 cars on the mainline need to go and in what order to the branches. Or you are breaking the cars in the shunts to stage for pick up. Again, rolling a dice to identify which cars and in what order.

The layout decoration can be however you want it to be for this module. Be it something simple like some staged cars on a siding or more complicated like some open platforms and some workers with bags on their shoulders with a set of box cars. Or you can go full modern era and remove the bag men and add a building to the end with truck docks that you can set some 53' trailers to to suggest a warehousing/distributing facility.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Can’t believe this is how I heard about the CP-KCS merger going through :stare:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"All of the name options were dumb so we picked the worst," said some CPKC exec, probably.

I wonder if they'll ever have a unified paint scheme or if they'll be like BNSF that had cascade green power stenciled BNSF for a longer time than there was a Burlington Northern in the first place.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BNSF liveries are mostly uniform around me, but I've seen Norfolk Southern power heading BNSF trains and I'm getting concerned.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

kathmandu posted:

Can’t believe this is how I heard about the CP-KCS merger going through :stare:

I'm on the other side of the Atlantic so didn't even know it was in the offing.

A couple of days ago I looked up the CPR wikipedia page (I wanted to confirm that they used to run high-speed high-security high-priority trains to transport silk in the past - which they did) and the entire page was in the past tense. I was thinking "what the hell, when did Canadian Pacific cease to be a thing?" and then noticed that it said it had merged with KCS a few hours before I looked up the page.

It was like a weird real-time Mandela Effect.

And yes, it's a really low-effort name and doesn't even have the same sort of ring to that Burlington Northern & Santa Fe does.

I'm hoping for a tri-national version of the CPR roundel with a beaver, a bison and a golden eagle and interlocked maple leaf, cottonwood leaf and cactus.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

BNSF liveries are mostly uniform around me, but I've seen Norfolk Southern power heading BNSF trains and I'm getting concerned.

If you're serious, it's actually nothing to be concerned about. Power sharing is a thing that all of these Class 1 railroads do. Sometimes it's cheaper and more efficient to build a train on the BNSF in California and run it all the way to New York without having to stop to change out the locomotives once the train gets to, say, the first CSX railroad yard it passes. Just keep fueling the motors and keep rolling! The railroads all keep track of these power swaps and then bill each other for the time it was on another railroad.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

BalloonFish posted:

I wanted to confirm that they used to run high-speed high-security high-priority trains to transport silk in the past - which they did

What time period was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

What time period was this?

As per wiki:

Wikipedia posted:

Between the 1890s and 1933, the CPR transported raw silk from Vancouver, where it had been shipped from the Orient, to silk mills in New York and New Jersey. A silk train could carry several million dollars' worth of silk, so they had their own armed guards. To avoid train robberies and so minimize insurance costs, they travelled quickly and stopped only to change locomotives and crews, which was often done in under five minutes. The silk trains had superior rights over all other trains; even passenger trains (including the Royal Train of 1939) would be put in sidings to make the silk trains' trip faster. At the end of World War II, the invention of nylon made silk less valuable, so the silk trains died out.