Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oh man, that's too bad, I bought some of his 6mm infantry for Battletech and was planning on getting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is the Khurasan dude sculpting stuff or does he freelance all his stuff?

Waaaaaaay back in the day when s/f 15s were the hot new thing (goddamn, this was like 10-12 years ago now that I think about how long ago some of those projects were) it seemed like he was always complaining about how upcoming releases were delayed because X sculpt hadn't been finished by the sculptor yet.

I think it’s a mix, as far as I can tell. At the least, I don’t see credits on his page apart from the Tom Meier stuff, which if you’re gonna credit anyone, you’ve gotta credit. I know a few freelancers that have expressed a general dislike of working with him. I think he’s got some sculptors he works with regularly, but tracking down sculptor credits is tricky without looking at an ancient blog.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

:tipshat:

Yeah, a lot of his complaining was (IIRC) on Facebook and gently caress trolling through that for fun to glean sculptor names out of.

I also vaguely remember him posting on TMP, which sounds like real FUN to dig through.

John Bear Ross also comes to mind as having done work for him in the past, but that isn't surprising.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

:tipshat:

Yeah, a lot of his complaining was (IIRC) on Facebook and gently caress trolling through that for fun to glean sculptor names out of.

I also vaguely remember him posting on TMP, which sounds like real FUN to dig through.

John Bear Ross also comes to mind as having done work for him in the past, but that isn't surprising.

Yeah, it’s definitely one of those word of mouth things. I don’t want to bias anyone - as far as I can tell, he pays sculptors on time and can wrangle decent stuff together, and will ship metal if you pay for it - but looking to copy ranges that he couldn’t buy is definitely kinda scummy behavior.

As far as other 15mm sci-fi, Darby from Darkest Star does some cool stuff.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

That's not actually true, though? Unless you're literally Paizo (or one of the small number of companies making high 6 figures on products using WotC IP), you could just keep publishing all your works old and new under the revised license.

Not to dive too deep into a mostly-closed conversation, but why was the idea of "high six figures" seemingly viewed as an enormous amount of money, particularly for businesses that employ, conceivably, multiple tens of people? The small bar I work at isn't particularly successful and we make over half a million dollars in sales, but we employ six or seven people over the course of a year including the owner/operator. I worked in tabletop games over a decade ago, so I know there's basically no money there to be made (see: now work in a bar), but I'm just stunned the market is so small.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Sega 32X posted:

Not to dive too deep into a mostly-closed conversation, but why was the idea of "high six figures" seemingly viewed as an enormous amount of money, particularly for businesses that employ, conceivably, multiple tens of people? The small bar I work at isn't particularly successful and we make over half a million dollars in sales, but we employ six or seven people over the course of a year including the owner/operator. I worked in tabletop games over a decade ago, so I know there's basically no money there to be made (see: now work in a bar), but I'm just stunned the market is so small.

There just aren't that many companies of that size who are making OGL stuff. I think most companies that size make their own stuff and don't use WotC's IP.

I think WotC was trying to punch Paizo in the nose without saying their name specifically.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jimbozig posted:

I think WotC was trying to punch Paizo in the nose without saying their name specifically.

If this is true, then the mad crush of people buying into Pathfinder is doubly hilarious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

AJA posted:

Really don't want to disrupt the current Wyrmwood discussion, because it is absolutely more important to TG as an Industry (and TG as a whole). But I really don't know where else to put this;

Just saying, I don't know what to do about this, and I think I'd maybe like to get off this ride, thank you

It never ceases to amaze me how much Greenwood's leaned into turning himself into Elminster.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how much Greenwood's leaned into turning himself into Elminster.

to be fair I think Greenwood was Elminister before Elminster was Elminster

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

admanb posted:

to be fair I think Greenwood was Elminister before Elminster was Elminster

Elminister isn’t Greenwood’s self insert character?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

Elminister isn’t Greenwood’s self insert character?

Greenwood is Elminster’s self insert.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

funkymonks posted:

Greenwood is Elminster’s self insert.

Tracks.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of the early conceits of the Forgotten Realms novels was that Ed was friends with Elminster, who had a portal to Ed's house and would stop by and chat about the goings on of the Magical Realm and give Ed story ideas. I don't remember if that's still acknowledged or not. I'll leave that to our wizened FR loremasters to advise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Elminster's Self Insert (BoEF)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
oh no I'm out of beer, that darn elminster must have stopped by and drunk it all

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if that's what prompted Eliminster's time as a sexy lady.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

90s Cringe Rock posted:

oh no I'm out of beer, that darn elminster must have stopped by and drunk it all

now what will I drink while I watch my lesbian neighbors have sex on their wooden dock

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

One of the early conceits of the Forgotten Realms novels was that Ed was friends with Elminster, who had a portal to Ed's house and would stop by and chat about the goings on of the Magical Realm and give Ed story ideas. I don't remember if that's still acknowledged or not. I'll leave that to our wizened FR loremasters to advise.

El: "Let me tell you who I boned THIS time!"
Ed: *feverishly taking notes*

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"honey, I can explain, I didn't sleep with your sister, Elminster did!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

In the minipainting/warhammer side of things, the third moderately well known painter/modeler from GW hobby videos has bailed on Games Workshop due to them pushing a draconian policy of you not being allowed to show your face during their painting videos because they are deathly afraid of you going indie and talking about games and models not published by Games Workshop.

Her name is Louise Sugden and she's done a ton of poo poo for GW over the years, enjoys heavy metal, and used to post her models on 4chan under the name "Savage Orc Guy". Go give her a follow! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3wBZtfaNs

She's an extremely pro follow on Twitter and Instagram as well.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Magnetic North posted:

If this is true, then the mad crush of people buying into Pathfinder is doubly hilarious.

It is! It's another example of Paizo just crushing WotC at PR. You love to see it (even if you don't love PF).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Paizo was certainly on their mind with that first attempt at the OGL revocation and revisions. I don't think they were expecting to be able to collect royalties off them though. It was probably something like what happened: hoping Paizo would feel intimidated enough that they'd sever from the OGL and maybe even work to develop a more distinct product identity. (Not actually sure if that's possible, but in a lawyer-logic hypothetical.)

The initial notes said something like "if you're one of the few businesses that make this much..." which indicates they must have some internal estimate and tracking process for groups profiting from D&D and the OGL. Some of it most likely from DMs Guild figures, some might be eyeballing major kickstarters. The revisions read to me like they were trying to prevent the birth of a second Paizo out of the edition shift, by compelling all the established companies orbiting them to adopt the new ruleset and cease publishing under the old OGL. Then secondly to establish a revenue stream through royalties because I'm sure all the execs rotating in on D&D saw the climate of lesser companies "leeching" off D&D and WotC not seeing a red cent from that and it galled them. Then they over-estimated how co-dependent those companies were and it blew up in their faces.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

now what will I drink while I watch my lesbian neighbors have sex on their wooden dock
Tears, milady!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuns with Guns posted:

My two absolutely ridiculous notions when it comes to D&D settings that I will 100% honour if they ever come up at my table are are:
1) travel to Greyhawk is possible by taking Elminster's portal to Ed's Kitchen (or the one in Wyoming), then schlepping across North America to Holywood to take Mordenkainen's portal to the movie theatre under Castle Greyhawk.
2) Time travel in the Forgotten Realms requires you to change editions. If you go back you have to regress your character through 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st editions (but if you go back too far you end up in 2nd again). If you go forward in time you must first invent rules for Sixth Edition.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did that make it to the novels? I remember that from a series of Dragon Magazine articles, that eventually evolved into Greenwood, Elminster, Mordenkaiden and Raistlin chatting about weird artifacts...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Raistlin?

*Pushes nerd glasses back up nose*

Wasn't it actually his apprentice Dalamar

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

Raistlin?

*Pushes nerd glasses back up nose*

Wasn't it actually his apprentice Dalamar

Yes…

The Wizards Three or something equally annoying. Would show up once or twice a year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Did that make it to the novels? I remember that from a series of Dragon Magazine articles, that eventually evolved into Greenwood, Elminster, Mordenkaiden and Raistlin chatting about weird artifacts...

A little bit. It was mostly framing to have a biased narrator (or two) for sourcebooks that were normally written from an omniscient perspective, so it wasn't nearly as necessary. It got phased out in most publications in 3e, and was gone in 4e nearly completely. The only exceptions were columns Ed writes by himself.

Reveilled posted:

My two absolutely ridiculous notions when it comes to D&D settings that I will 100% honour if they ever come up at my table are are:
1) travel to Greyhawk is possible by taking Elminster's portal to Ed's Kitchen (or the one in Wyoming), then schlepping across North America to Holywood to take Mordenkainen's portal to the movie theatre under Castle Greyhawk.
2) Time travel in the Forgotten Realms requires you to change editions. If you go back you have to regress your character through 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st editions (but if you go back too far you end up in 2nd again). If you go forward in time you must first invent rules for Sixth Edition.

Nah, you end up in 4th again: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dawnbringer_(novel)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

A little bit. It was mostly framing to have a biased narrator (or two) for sourcebooks that were normally written from an omniscient perspective, so it wasn't nearly as necessary. It got phased out in most publications in 3e, and was gone in 4e nearly completely. The only exceptions were columns Ed writes by himself.

Nah, you end up in 4th again: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dawnbringer_(novel)
Obviously the future is fourward

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

On another chapter of "People try to use 5E as a Square Peg on a Round Hole" I present: HISTORICAL AMERICAN REVOLUTION IN 5E

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flagbearergames/the-american-crisis-a-nations-and-cannons-adventure-for-dnd-5e

Roll 1d10 damage for being shot with a cannonball at Bunker Hill!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Plutonis posted:

Roll 1d10 damage for being shot with a cannonball at Bunker Hill!

I believe the cannon was on Breeds hill.

I learnt that from an old war game rule book.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Look that's the only US revolutionary war battle I heard of okay

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

Paizo was certainly on their mind with that first attempt at the OGL revocation and revisions. I don't think they were expecting to be able to collect royalties off them though. It was probably something like what happened: hoping Paizo would feel intimidated enough that they'd sever from the OGL and maybe even work to develop a more distinct product identity. (Not actually sure if that's possible, but in a lawyer-logic hypothetical.)

The initial notes said something like "if you're one of the few businesses that make this much..." which indicates they must have some internal estimate and tracking process for groups profiting from D&D and the OGL. Some of it most likely from DMs Guild figures, some might be eyeballing major kickstarters. The revisions read to me like they were trying to prevent the birth of a second Paizo out of the edition shift, by compelling all the established companies orbiting them to adopt the new ruleset and cease publishing under the old OGL. Then secondly to establish a revenue stream through royalties because I'm sure all the execs rotating in on D&D saw the climate of lesser companies "leeching" off D&D and WotC not seeing a red cent from that and it galled them. Then they over-estimated how co-dependent those companies were and it blew up in their faces.

I'm 99% sure they looked at Critical Role's take and based it on the idea that all these other TTRPG people riding their coattails were raking it in like that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm 99% sure they looked at Critical Role's take and based it on the idea that all these other TTRPG people riding their coattails were raking it in like that.
Especially funny given that 5e is effectively riding on CR et al's coattails

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

and that as a campaign setting CR is homebrewed to gently caress, to the point where d&d have had to bring Mercer et al in to write things like the Wildemount book and content for DND Beyond because so many people were asking for rules for Blood Hunters etc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Comstar posted:

I believe the cannon was on Breeds hill.

I learnt that from an old war game rule book.

The battle occurred on Breed's Hill, although poor map skills led to its being called the battle of Bunker Hill.

Also the cannonballs would have likely been fired from ships for that one.

But to keep this relevant: 5e is a truffle system for horse and musket play.

Honestly I'm not sure what you would even do in an AWI RPG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

and that as a campaign setting CR is homebrewed to gently caress, to the point where d&d have had to bring Mercer et al in to write things like the Wildemount book and content for DND Beyond because so many people were asking for rules for Blood Hunters etc.

And then they took a look at Blood Hunters and went "Oh no, I need to houserule the heck out of this."

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Lamuella posted:

As I understand it, their game was originally a pathfinder game, and they moved to D&D because it was more marketable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My understanding is that it went like this:

4e one shot for Liam O'Brien's birthday
Pathfinder home game from 2012-2015
Felicia Day asks them to stream for Geek & Sundry
Switch to 5e as rules are considered more "streamlined" for broadcast play.
Streaming from 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Saxophone posted:

As I understand it, their game was originally a pathfinder game, and they moved to D&D because it was more marketable.

They've said that they switched because the combat rules were more streamlined with fewer floating modifiers to bog things down.