Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't want to come off as "clearly you're doing it wrong:smug:", but are you sure the joints are completely pushed together?

It's not limbs coming off, it's limbs coming apart. I've got clear nail polish for loose joints. Isuppose I could just glue the thing together, but that just seems wrong when I've got a good whinge going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mllaneza posted:

It's not limbs coming off, it's limbs coming apart. I've got clear nail polish for loose joints. Isuppose I could just glue the thing together, but that just seems wrong when I've got a good whinge going.

I think this is telling, because yeah, "I know how I can fix this but I shouldn't have to" is a very distinct form of whinging compared to "I don't know how to fix this and I shouldn't have to."

See also: "I shouldn't need industrial quantities of milliput to fix the fitment issues with this overpriced Games Workshop model, but gently caress Games Workshop."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is getting into resin kits just sink or swim? I want to do some more building then get into the conversion kits for some suits I like but it seems you just gotta jump in and hope for the best. I know there's more safety issues to be worried about and some parts may have minor faults to be sanded/filled due to the casting but they're not really that different right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pierson posted:

Is getting into resin kits just sink or swim? I want to do some more building then get into the conversion kits for some suits I like but it seems you just gotta jump in and hope for the best. I know there's more safety issues to be worried about and some parts may have minor faults to be sanded/filled due to the casting but they're not really that different right?

You gotta wash them, there's a decent chance you'll have to bend some pieces back into shape, and you have to inspect all the parts for mold slippage and unfixable bubbles, in which case you'll have to get in touch with the producer and get replacements. And wear a mask while you sand. Beyond that, yeah just jump in and it's not too different.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Having a good complain is one of my few joys left in life.
I took my RG Build Strike off its stand because my HG Raphael just ain't gonna stand up on its own. Aaand, yeah, of all my RGs, this is the one most likely to be destined for the Spare Parts Bin. If it ever falls off my shelf, that's it, end of life. Can't re-pose the fucker even a little bit without it shedding pieces like crazy. Though I have, let's see, 5 other RGs and don't have that problem with them.

Wish my local store would get some more god drat action bases in so I wouldn't have to keep swapping 'em between kits every time I get the hankering to pose a different one creatively.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Having a good complain is one of my few joys left in life.
I took my RG Build Strike off its stand because my HG Raphael just ain't gonna stand up on its own. Aaand, yeah, of all my RGs, this is the one most likely to be destined for the Spare Parts Bin. If it ever falls off my shelf, that's it, end of life. Can't re-pose the fucker even a little bit without it shedding pieces like crazy. Though I have, let's see, 5 other RGs and don't have that problem with them.

Wish my local store would get some more god drat action bases in so I wouldn't have to keep swapping 'em between kits every time I get the hankering to pose a different one creatively.

I'm thinking I might want to just mass order some action bases to have them handy. But I also want to do diorama bases and those might help minimize the need to use a bunch of Bandai bases.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I'm thinking I might want to just mass order some action bases to have them handy. But I also want to do diorama bases and those might help minimize the need to use a bunch of Bandai bases.

There's a cool Bandai base than holds three kits at once... but unfortunately it's only available from the Gundam base or as a contest prize.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

Action Base 5's are what you want.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Good Smile also sells their stands at 3 for twenty dollars if you can find them online, they have 3mm pegs as one of the options which fits most gunpla. You can't stack them together like Action Bases though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Good Smile also sells their stands at 3 for twenty dollars if you can find them online, they have 3mm pegs as one of the options which fits most gunpla. You can't stack them together like Action Bases though.

Nothing a bit of glue can't fix.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Nothing a bit of glue can't fix.

All kits are combiners if you have glue.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

All kits are combiners if you have glue.

And all kits are scratch builds if you add enough milliput and greebles.

Gunpla freedom blah blah.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Another chance at the Neo Zeong coming up tomorrow

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

RGs just feel incredibly cheap and inferior quality to HGs.

I haven't done the Hi Nu or Nu yet, but out of the two RGs that I built so far (Sazabi and Eva Unit 08), I can't get behind this sentiment at all.

The Sazabi was a bitch to build but it's probably one of the most detailed and sturdy kits I have; the Unit 08 was not a bitch to build but it has held its pose without problem for the past year, both without action bases

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I like the underlying design a lot, don't get me wrong. But, uh..

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

parabolic posted:

Hey, Gunpla is freedom.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

MechaX posted:

I haven't done the Hi Nu or Nu yet, but out of the two RGs that I built so far (Sazabi and Eva Unit 08), I can't get behind this sentiment at all.

The Sazabi was a bitch to build but it's probably one of the most detailed and sturdy kits I have; the Unit 08 was not a bitch to build but it has held its pose without problem for the past year, both without action bases

This has also been my experience, my Sazabi is excellent and the Evas seem to use some sort of witchcraft to pose and balance like they do on those tiny feet.

I've also done the Exia and Wing Zero EW, which aren't the showstoppers the Eva and Sazabi are, but they're each quite good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The nu rg is a good kit except for the funnels

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I've had a few experiences with RGs being a little slippy and loose, but only on really old kits like the Zaku II and RX-78. The Nu and Hi-Nu were gorgeous builds for me and have never seemed like hand grenades. The RG line as a whole has treated me really well.

This isn't an attempt to invalidate anybody's lived experience, but I love RG's and hope that anybody who wants a 1/144 scale Gundam with high detail and lots of gimmicks will give them a chance, or another chance if one didn't go perfectly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

parabolic posted:

I want to give it teeth. Just a big old BTAS Joker grin.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I was recently disappointed by the RG GaoGaiGar. It's got some really great engineering (the way the small legs lock into the big ones is :discourse: ) and some of the most piss-poor "it's in your hands now, friction and unicorn farts" engineering (the face plate, the way the helmet attaches to the head, the hands in general, the upper arms split apart ever so slightly whenever you apply any force to them). It's not very well balanced because of the giant lump of plastic backpack. The less said about the goldmarg hand and hammer (which look :krad: admittedly) the better; it's literally at the point where it's too heavy to support itself and needs an action base to support it no matter what; the base kit would need screwed or ratcheted joints to support it's weight. It's a very ambitious kit but it falls short of the mark in ways that could have been easily fixed (the hands, the helmet). Typical of a true transformer and not a partsformer, I guess.

In comparison, the RG God Gundam is literally loving bottled WITCHCRAFT in the poo poo you can pull with it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That description is kinda making RG GaoGaiGar even more appealing to me. I've had my eye on it for a minute. I might add it to my shelf when budget allows. Maybe I'll do RG God after I finish my Messer. I was thinking of doing my MG Delta Plus next, since I have a custom paint scheme in mind for it.

Decisions are are hard.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, it's a great looking kit, and fun as hell to make (and pull apart, and put back together) but it could have been so much more :sigh:

I'm thinking of cracking my Eclipse Gundam MG or maybe the RG Gold Frame Amatsu Hina or an EVA.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I'm really glad you said that actually because i love RGs and i love GaoGaiGar and I straight up abandoned it by the time I got to stealth gao. the vents to cover where the hands hide in jet mode just straight up do not fit and it was the last straw in a build full of annoying connections

not to add more fuel to the "RGs are bad" fire though, RGs are my favorite and I loved the hi-nu

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The bullshit I can pull off with the RG God in terms of posing without a base is pretty wild (although you probably need to leave the rainbow halo off for easier balancing).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Robot combiners seem like a hit or miss thing for kits in general. I have the Dynazenon Moderoid and that's great, even with a torso that's kind of one solid piece (true to the show though), while the Raijin-Oh Moderoid had one part to its combination that made it a nightmare.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2619353001003

Rose is going up for another round of pre-orders tonight

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Also the PG Phenex, which I think I'll try to nab because it looks sick as hell and I want a PG in my collection.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2619353001003

Rose is going up for another round of pre-orders tonight

Hopefully I can snag one this time and hopefully more silly G Gundam designs are on the way

Would love to see some of them given the modern treatment

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin_Brett posted:

Super Robot combiners seem like a hit or miss thing for kits in general. I have the Dynazenon Moderoid and that's great, even with a torso that's kind of one solid piece (true to the show though), while the Raijin-Oh Moderoid had one part to its combination that made it a nightmare.

I swear there has to be multiple teams working on pumping out the Moderoids, because there's some that have some real near-Bandai quality engineering and design, while others are real simple and cheap early-00's-Bandai design work in their assembly and colour separation.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear there has to be multiple teams working on pumping out the Moderoids, because there's some that have some real near-Bandai quality engineering and design, while others are real simple and cheap early-00's-Bandai design work in their assembly and colour separation.

Moderoid Full Power Gridman's color separation is so atrocious it turned me off even wanting to build it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

What should i build next? I have the following left:

Nu gundam ver ka
Full armor gundam ver ka
MG gm sniper 2
Hg origin zaku 2
Hg Gundam Ez8

I might go back and paint the hg hyaku shiki as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't built the GM Sniper 2 but the HG Origin Zaku and the HG Ez8 are both very fun builds.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Nu's also fun, but also gets really repetitive if you leave all six fin funnels till the end so spread those around the build.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That seems about right, the info pages for them list the sculptor and it's usually different people for each.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is pretty cool to hear:

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1646533115027009536?t=2sgW-LFKSxayQ1AQSzasKA&s=19

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's a great suit and a great HG. I hosed up my own a bit so I'll probably end up buying a second to do it properly.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Pierson posted:

It's a great suit and a great HG. I hosed up my own a bit so I'll probably end up buying a second to do it properly.

the Permet Score 6 (blue lines) is one of the kits going back up on p-bandai tonight at 9pm EST if you're interested in a variation

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I do wonder what the best-selling gunpla of all time are. If you counted all variations/remakes it'd be the RX-78-2 sure but as a single model I wonder if they ever released that info. Probably like the HG Strike or something I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

I do wonder what the best-selling gunpla of all time are. If you counted all variations/remakes it'd be the RX-78-2 sure but as a single model I wonder if they ever released that info. Probably like the HG Strike or something I would imagine.

Given the massive surge in gunplay sales in the last few years, I think the EG grandpa and the MG Barbatos are probably up there.