Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

You need to be able to do the calculations correctly to identify when something is wrong because of an incorrect input or other problem. If you don’t understand at least the principle and can’t do the rough math mentally, you won’t know why you’re dropping 200m short, and your corrections are short also.

Calculations can be applied at the OP, CP and gun for this reason.
It's no problem, just use a smartphone app. Completely safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this is all because i was studying for that loving TABE test:downs:

https://twitter.com/TutorEva2/status/1554614921173864451?t=qYufXRujLUp_-bS4dgEqEQ&s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Willa Rogers posted:

I made this exact same sandwich this morning for brunch at a cost of approx. $2.00 (I make my own lox).

We have to save all these businesses by eliminating work from home! They were guaranteed success!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It's no problem, just use a smartphone app. Completely safe!

lol RIP those Ukrainians. I still chuckle about that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah they should have gone all the way like the Russians did and had another book that told you how many tubes you needed firing how many rounds for how long to kill so and so number of troops and such and such number of vehicles in so large an area.

They had a chart for how long to plan marching a certain distance. So if you need to march idk 16km (avg rate of march is like 4 kph), you need 15 minutes of planning time first, so schedule 4 hours 15 minutes.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

19 o'clock posted:

it’s obnoxious to me. I heard a radio DJ say basically what I posted (except he seemed to really mean it). the dude was honestly wondering “why do we teach so much when people can just look it up online? my kids can just google what they want to learn they don’t need it in school.”

I’m gonna be biased because I was surrounded by teachers my entire life but I like to think that learning how to think/how to learn are the reasons we go to school. random internet results are no substitute for being able to independently tackle problems with our brains…but also I’m a poor person so what do I really even know

Have you ever been in an actual Public School in the Deep South? Do you know what the School-to-Prision pipeline is or why it's even a thing?

everybody learns DIFFERENTLY, which nobody in the American Educational System gives a poo poo about. This kid can't do Linear/Quadratic Equations/Long Division/Multiplication/Addition/Subtraction in his head or without a calculator and fire the answer out in .05 seconds?... welp we tried:lol: what a loving Arrword time to put him in SpecialEd with all the :airquote:dumb:airquote: kids where he will Definitely Totally not grow up with a chip on his shoulder, actively avoid anything even remotely involving Spatial Reasoning, and with an almost violent hatred for anyone involved with this whole god forsaken and frankly racist, hierarchical Institution!:shepface:

....buuut I'm sure it's just a "me" problem

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Apr 13, 2023

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
You do not go to American Public Schools to learn. You are taught only what the imbeciles working there WANT you to know. Just regurgitate whatever CIA/Confederate Propaganda History Channel crap they tell verbatim so they get their paycheck and gently caress off. Otherwise we wouldn't be having people running around unironically thinking Eli loving Whitney was a black slave

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Apr 13, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

We do grocery shopping for my girlfriend's parents because they have trouble getting to the store. They are ridiculously consistent in what they buy, pretty much always getting the exact same stuff week after week. We started saving their receipts out of curiosity when we noticed prices skyrocketing a couple of years ago and the total bill more than doubled in that time even with us making store-brand substitutions.

It's going to triple from ~2021 by the end of this year, assuming prices keep going up at the same rate they have over the last few months.

edit- her parents make less money now than they did in 2020

I grabbed some Diet A&W tonight for mixers for drinks. It ran me $8.29 (on sale) for a 12-pack.

Like even in the immediate aftermath of covid two years ago, it was $3 or maybe $4 for a 12-pack.

I live in a low COL city.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SKULL.GIF posted:

I grabbed some Diet A&W tonight for mixers for drinks. It ran me $8.29 (on sale) for a 12-pack.

Like even in the immediate aftermath of covid two years ago, it was $3 or maybe $4 for a 12-pack.

lol I remember during early Covid you could get the 20 packs of soda for $5 on special

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I grabbed some Diet A&W tonight for mixers for drinks.

Root beer mixed drinks? Wtf?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Have you considered not being poor

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Injuryprone posted:

maybe its some regional wisocnsin midwest monstrosity

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I invented a simple drink called the Kel, orange soda and vodka. Haven't had a kel in like 10 years lol it's fantastic btw

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"bring some alcohol!"
"i don't drink, i don't know what to bring"
"no problem, just bring some soda for mixing instead"

i assume

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
We have a co op that we use to homeschool our kids. Most of us are horrified by what keeps coming out of the highschools and don't want our kids to end up grievously underprepared.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Injuryprone posted:

Rum/Jack + Coke turns into (Alcohol) + (Soda) when you are drunk. It's definitely not uncommon

The worst is mountain dew and tequila

the best is most kinds of faygo and vodka

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1646341517622009859

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

We have a co op that we use to homeschool our kids and don't want our kids to end up grievously underprepared.

sounds legit

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I use 16 oz or .5 liter six-packs of ginger ale as mixers because ginger ale goes with pretty much anything

luckily I can always buy a brand of it that's BOGO at any given time

Even so it's still like $8 lol

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

skaboomizzy posted:

I use 16 oz or .5 liter six-packs of ginger ale as mixers because ginger ale goes with pretty much anything
Gin Gins are really good in the summer

Injuryprone posted:

Not usually my preference but it does pair well with herbal spirits like Jägermeister. I made a Jäger root beer float once and it was a pretty good desert.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

We have a co op that we use to homeschool our kids. Most of us are horrified by what keeps coming out of the highschools and don't want our kids to end up grievously underprepared.

Just put em in Montessori Schools

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Injuryprone posted:

Sarsaparilla mixes really well with bourbon, hth

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just putting this right next to the child labor laws stuff
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1646270677882916864?t=u1hWGDjJ2Oq_jzfbMqLcqg&s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao, juul reached a massive settlement among a handful of states, and this was part of the agreement:

quote:

Embattled electronic-cigarette maker Juul Labs Inc. will pay $462 million to six states and the District of Columbia, marking the largest settlement the company has reached so far for its role in the youth vaping surge, state attorneys general said Wednesday.

The agreement with California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York and Washington, D.C., marks the latest in a string of recent legal settlements Juul has reached across the country with cities and states.

Like some other settlements reached by Juul, this latest agreement includes various restrictions on the marketing, sale and distribution of the company’s vaping products. For example, it is barred from any direct or indirect marketing that targets youths, which includes anyone under age 35. Juul is also required to limit the amount of purchases customers can make in retail stores and online.

(How Do You Do, Fellow Youths)

States are pretending that they're going to use the funds for prevention but everyone knows from the cig settlement & the liar-mortgage settlement poo poo usually gets thrown into general revenue:

quote:

“Juul lit a nationwide public health crisis by putting addictive products in the hands of minors and convincing them that it’s harmless,” New York Atty. Gen. Letitia James said in a statement. “Today they are paying the price for the harm they caused.”

James said the $112.7 million due to New York will pay for underage smoking abatement programs across the state.

California will use its payout to help fund research, education and enforcement efforts to “abate and prevent the harms of e-cigarettes and nicotine addiction,” Bonta said in a statement.

“By using advertising and marketing strategies to lure young people to its products, Juul put the health and safety of its vulnerable targets and the California public at risk,” Bonta said. “Today’s settlement holds Juul accountable for its actions and puts a stop to its harmful business practices.”

District of Columbia Atty. Gen. Brian Schwalb said in a statement that Juul “knew how addictive and dangerous its products were and actively tried to cover up that medical truth.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-12/juul-labs-agrees-pay-462-million-vaping-settlement-6-states

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Looking forward to how they're going to market to the 36+ demo without luring children who are in their early 30s.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

FREE JUUL WITH PURCHASE OF TWO OR MORE BOTTLES OF METAMUCIL

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Injuryprone posted:

Tastier than you'd expect.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Willa Rogers posted:

Looking forward to how they're going to market to the 36+ demo without luring children who are in their early 30s.

the entire advertising business is based on weasel-logic so all they have to do is make a token effort to comply and generally copy whatever other tobacco/alcohol companies do.

like instead of paying to put ads in agegroup-based magazines for teens/children they can go for publications based on interest like 'music' or 'sports' or 'cars' and there won't be any complaints so long as the primary target audience is mostly assumed to be adults

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I'm supposed to care about children becoming trans or something

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Injuryprone posted:

Molson makes one

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

x-posting from Pop Culture thread because I was reminded that AI was going to become a major thing in the military any day now since 1990 and lol the holes in neoliberalism are really telling imo:

"Fourth, the military profession will be strongly influenced by the development of new defense technologies, particularly digitalization and artificial intelligence (AI). One of the key questions is whether in the mid-term AI will replace human decision making in defense organizations. The answer is likely no, but AI will definitely be valuable in enhancing the human capacity to process huge amount of data and to increase immensely human effectiveness in decision making. To win future wars, defense organizations will have to leverage specialized skills in digital automation and AI. In addition, it is important that commanders have experts with a data science background, as well as people with on-the-ground expertise—i.e., people who understand use-cases and objectives."

"Military applications developed with artificial intelligence (AI) will undeniably mark the end of an epoch. AI is a priority defense issue for all military powers of the twenty-first century. The U.S. and China are currently at the forefront of the new digitalized arms race. The French MoA believes that AI will be crucial for tomorrow’s military operations. A new dedicated agency has a budget of 100 million euros to handle all AI projects and ventures until 2025, and more than 200 experts will be recruited. Human-machine interface (HMI) technology has been used in different industries, like electronics, entertainment, military, and medicine, and helps in integrating humans into complex technological systems. The interface consists of hardware and software that allow user inputs to be translated as signals for machines that, in turn, provide the required result to the user."

"The use of electronic control systems, HMI, and AI has initiated profound changes in military practice. It has redefined operational tactics, widened the scope of activities, and also effected the way forces are trained, managed, and assigned to missions. The subject of technology assisted wars and remote control systems has led to the discussion of whether a physical military presence in the field will still be required as technology evolves :rolleyes: . If soldiers are no longer deployed in the field and if most of the work is performed from home in a safe working environment, what will become of military values? :rolleyes: How is military professionalism going to evolve in the context of increasing technological assistance? In the armed forces, terms such as discipline, obedience, commitment, unity, and comradery have long been considered the essence of military professionalism. With technological progress and new actors setting foot in the military sector, new ethical and moral questions arise. Countries like the U.S., Canada, and the UK regularly resort to private military service providers, but France remains reluctant to use the services of contractors. When discussing the matter in an economics of defense class in the French Air Force Academy, a majority of cadets felt that private military contractors might be less committed and more motivated by high wages. They questioned the military values of private agents they perceived as mercenaries." :france:

Get ready for a stringer of bangers:

"In the past, many scientific and technological innovations originated in research and development (R&D) within the military or the defense industry. But the main players in AI R&D are private Silicon Valley firms, a reality that has two major ramifications for armed forces and security agencies in Western countries. First, the most advanced AI is often the intellectual property (IP) of multinational technology giants, such as Google and Amazon. As a result, these systems cannot be bought like industrial age technology—like jet fighters or submarines—but must be licensed at a high cost and under strict conditions. Militaries are unlikely to get access to the source codes, for example, because the IPs are commercial secrets. Thus, militaries will have to rely on AI systems without knowing how they fully operate or their limitations and vulnerabilities. Second, there is a significant difference—and some evidence of animosity—between the cultures of Silicon Valley and the armed forces that has already limited the willingness of the former to work with the latter, especially in providing access to leading AI products."

We created the stupidest goddamn system lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, juul reached a massive settlement among a handful of states, and this was part of the agreement:

(How Do You Do, Fellow Youths)

States are pretending that they're going to use the funds for prevention but everyone knows from the cig settlement & the liar-mortgage settlement poo poo usually gets thrown into general revenue:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-12/juul-labs-agrees-pay-462-million-vaping-settlement-6-states
lol i love my large 35 year old children. honestly a lot of the moral panic ads people cited as wow they're marketing to teens! was a super big stretch. unless you count any social media marketing as targetting teenagers, but then maybe there shouldn't be any advertisement and data collection on social media if the assumption is the userbase is teenagers, including banning all influencers, but i guess capital doesn't want to open that can of worms.

losing mango juul pods killed 50% of their sales anyways

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Apr 13, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

redneck nazgul posted:

FREE JUUL WITH PURCHASE OF TWO OR MORE BOTTLES OF METAMUCIL

lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

At this rate how long before the selling of child brides (openly) in new USA?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DancingShade posted:

At this rate how long before the selling of child brides (openly) in new USA?

well wait for liberals to abolish age of consent first. it takes time to recharge their political capital y'know

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Willa Rogers posted:

given that half a bil to a tobacco company amortized over what, ten years of operation?, is a cost of doing business fine they'll change as little as they can get away with without risking a federal judge getting pissy about contempt

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Harik posted:

the first hilariously stupid reason? we needed a bunch of people to crunch numbers in WW2 to hand-math the elevation & powder load for artillery and write it down in gigantic books so they could look it up in the field. so a lot of the dumbshit you learn in math revolves around being able to do ballistic calculations. It was obsolete before that directive even got started due to mechanical computers handling all that.

the second hilariously stupid reason is because "just google it" isn't easy to test and Bush/Obama were adamant that every part of childhood education be smashed into neat categories that could be judged (so you can take money from the public school system and give it to cronies)

This post is catnip for FF

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What if the primary measure of the economy became the ratio of wages to groceries+rent. What if the government tried to make that number go up. I don't give a gently caress about inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this article is extremely optimistic