Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Actually it's... Well I'm not seeing any converter that also provides what day in the décade it is

Then there's figuring out the kickoff time in decimal time...

I can't remember if that was a feature of the French calendar or the Soviet, where it was exceedingly difficult to convert dates backwards to figure out if it was really Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Soviets did this thing where you had a 5 day work week with one day of rest in it that was randomly assigned (with no regard to if your spouse or anyone else you cared about got the same day or not) and there were 5 holidays for everyone in the calendar; there were no common rest days other than the holidays. They later made it a 6 day work week with one common day of rest for all workers because, among other things, they never had a chance to do maintenance on machines in factories if they were in continuous use (which was the point of the original schedule)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Calendar reform is one of those things that seems like a good idea, but somehow can only result in a worse calendar.

My personal least favorite is the Symmetry454 because it fixes Easter on my birthday and holiday birthdays are the worst.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

Calendar reform is one of those things that seems like a good idea, but somehow can only result in a worse calendar.

My personal least favorite is the Symmetry454 because it fixes Easter on my birthday and holiday birthdays are the worst.

Easter isn’t a holiday, I don’t get a day off work and I also have to go to church which is worse than work.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

This one I’m fascinated by because I want to believe Kirby is smart, but starting Jake Fromm and the initial year or so of Stetson makes me think he just fundamentally doesn’t like quarterbacks more adventurous than like AJ McCarron. I know there are supposedly a bunch of big arm elite prospects in that QB room, but none of them have seized the job? Really?

I actually think Kirby had turned the corner when it CJ es to QB play. We tried it the Kirby way until 2019. Fromm was fine and we almost got it done with him but really it was allowing James Coley to be a disaster that finally made him realize you can’t just suffocate teams in defense and not put up points. The whole 2020 offseason was wild. He brought in Monken and kelts his hands totally off the offense other than to score points to prove a point. Jamie Newman came in, apparently immediately realized he was going to have to work his rear end off and not just be handed the keys, and declared for the draft a few weeks before the season started. JT was never healthy. So it landed eventually on Stet.

We have Beck, Vandagriff, and Stockton in the room now. Beck is the prototypical pocket passer: 6’3” or so and a huge arm. He actually started spring and summer as QB1 last season because Stetson had a bad natty hangover. I think if he was more consistent could have stayed QB1 because Kirby’s golden rule is effort and consistency over everything, even being a former starter. The other two are more mobile but there are questions about their skills because they come from lower classification football. Apparently this week Vandagriff was QB1 because he lit it up in the scrimmage. Stockton is apparreally struggling with reading defenses and making checks.

Its the first true open QB battle we have had since Kirby got here.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Easter isn’t a holiday, I don’t get a day off work and I also have to go to church which is worse than work.

Maybe don't go to church and you'll feel better about the "holiday"

This has worked for me my entire life

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Spacemonkey57 posted:

One of the great joys of being Jewish and born in the mid-August to early October period is that sometimes your birthday falls on Yom Kippur, which is like that except you can't eat or drink from sundown to sundown.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The fact that the US didn't secularize Easter like we did Christmas is so sad. I'm places like the UK and aus you get 1 if not 2 days off and just have a chill family weekend. It's pretty great and we need more holidays in the US.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

lol at being a grown rear end adult and feeling like you have to go to church. Go if you want to go but if it makes you feel bad, don’t.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My mother treats Easter like the biggest holiday and I never know when it is.

She’s very disappointed in my lack of faith—even though she hasn’t set foot in a church in my entire life and I was never raised in church. :iiam:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

My mother treats Easter like the biggest holiday and I never know when it is.

She’s very disappointed in my lack of faith—even though she hasn’t set foot in a church in my entire life and I was never raised in church. :iiam:

I'm a recovered Catholic and my wife works in a church because it s steady pay for a musician so Easter looms large in our house only because we have a kid and hiding eggs is fun and also there is just so much poo poo that goes on in the denomination she works for that its just supremely busy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/itsbterrell/status/1646155417301417984

Oh boy I bet this will go over great with the locals.

.......Texas?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I went to my mom's church for Easter. The two pastors were running bits up there and the one doing the sermon shouted the whole thing. It was exhausting.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm a recovered Catholic and my wife works in a church because it s steady pay for a musician so Easter looms large in our house only because we have a kid and hiding eggs is fun and also there is just so much poo poo that goes on in the denomination she works for that its just supremely busy.

We definitely participate in the secular aspects of the holiday, but like I literally never think about Easter at all and my mom is always asking if we have bigger Easter plans. Like months in advance.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

We definitely participate in the secular aspects of the holiday, but like I literally never think about Easter at all and my mom is always asking if we have bigger Easter plans. Like months in advance.

I treat all the Christian holidays like the seasonal pagan holidays that they really are.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My "fondest" church memories A) are a bunch of people shouting for Barabas to be released during the I guess it was a Passion play even though it was just olds standing at mics and reading and B) Having marching band competitions on saturday so I didn't go to mass with my parents and "went to Sunday Mass" on my own... Which meant I just went to Barnes & Noble or Half-Price Books for an hour and bought a new book or two.

I think some of them were religion related. I know one was about the Knights Templar, that has to count.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

lol at being a grown rear end adult and feeling like you have to go to church. Go if you want to go but if it makes you feel bad, don’t.

It’s the path of least resistance, I do it twice a year for an hour to make other people happy but it’s my god given right as an American to whine about it.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It’s the path of least resistance, I do it twice a year for an hour to make other people happy but it’s my god given right as an American to whine about it.

The best/funniest bitter Easter sermons are those where the preacher just talks about 'Easter people' to shame everyone who only shows up on that day. I attended more than one of these when I was forced to go as a child.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I treat all the Christian holidays like the seasonal pagan holidays that they really are.

Easter is explicitly tied to Passover, which by definition cannot be a pagan holiday. Almost all of the Christian calendar rotates around that day, so there's no pagan analog for any of them.

Christmas is the only one that you can construct an argument for, but the Roman calendar doesn't agree with it. The solstice was December 23, which makes that an unlikely candidate. Sol Invictus wasn't established on December 25 until at least 30 years after Christmas was already being celebrated on that date.

Personally, I'm a fan of the December date being fixed where it was because it was nine months after the Annunciation. That date was set because of an even older Jewish tradition that great men die on the day of their conception. Which ultimately links everything back to 14 Nisan and Passover.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Since when is easter explicitly tied to Passover? Next year they’re going to be three weeks apart.

And Saturnalia was held around the same time as Christmas and started way before it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Since when is easter explicitly tied to Passover? Next year they’re going to be three weeks apart.

And Saturnalia was held around the same time as Christmas and started way before it.

It’s tied to Passover in the sense that Jesus came to Jerusalem because of and during Passover.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's not exactly on Passover (The Council of Nicea apparently wanted the calculation of the date to not be tied to the Jewish Calendar), but it's tied closely to Passover because that's when Jesus was supposed to have been arrested and executed.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

The best/funniest bitter Easter sermons are those where the preacher just talks about 'Easter people' to shame everyone who only shows up on that day. I attended more than one of these when I was forced to go as a child.

The people who did Christmas and Easter only were known as "Cheasters" in my church

because we were very clever you see

I actually do not at all regret going to church in my youth but my parents were always on top of finding a good one that had good youth programs so I got lucky

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This a new one as far as offseason derails, but I'm here for it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/itsbterrell/status/1646155417301417984

Oh boy I bet this will go over great with the locals.

Cocks v Dames in Paris.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

College Footbal 2022 Season Aftermath: The Council of NCAA

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

It’s tied to Passover in the sense that Jesus came to Jerusalem because of and during Passover.

Sigh, I’ve been owned by Jesus. Dabo would be proud.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sigh, I’ve been owned by Jesus. Dabo would be proud.

Jesus does not own. He saves.

Cthulu Carl posted:

College Footbal 2022 Season Aftermath: The Council of NCAA

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Jesus does not own. He saves.

We’ll then he should be a goalie not playing football.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

My "fondest" church memories A) are a bunch of people shouting for Barabas to be released during the I guess it was a Passion play even though it was just olds standing at mics and reading and B) Having marching band competitions on saturday so I didn't go to mass with my parents and "went to Sunday Mass" on my own... Which meant I just went to Barnes & Noble or Half-Price Books for an hour and bought a new book or two.

I think some of them were religion related. I know one was about the Knights Templar, that has to count.

I’m not sure Dan Brown counts

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Saturnalia began a week earlier and ended before December 25. Date proximity doesn't carry much weight when compared with the rest of interaction between the Annunciation, Christmas, and Easter dates. I mean, the New Year was fixed a week later to honor Janus, who had no connection to Saturn (in terms of cult observations).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's not exactly on Passover (The Council of Nicea apparently wanted the calculation of the date to not be tied to the Jewish Calendar), but it's tied closely to Passover because that's when Jesus was supposed to have been arrested and executed.

Which I've always thought was an odd choice given that the Last Supper is a seder. Decoupling the mechanism the date is calculated doesn't change the theological underpinnings and the symbolism in the actual text.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

Dude we are all old as hell at this point. Next offseason it’ll be what hemorrhoid cream works best

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m not sure Dan Brown counts

Nah it was an actual non-fiction book on their history. I think there might have been a chapter about the conspiracy theories that concluded with "This is stupid and there's no actual evidence"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Truth.

Sash! posted:

Easter is explicitly tied to Passover, which by definition cannot be a pagan holiday. Almost all of the Christian calendar rotates around that day, so there's no pagan analog for any of them.

Christmas is the only one that you can construct an argument for, but the Roman calendar doesn't agree with it. The solstice was December 23, which makes that an unlikely candidate. Sol Invictus wasn't established on December 25 until at least 30 years after Christmas was already being celebrated on that date.

Personally, I'm a fan of the December date being fixed where it was because it was nine months after the Annunciation. That date was set because of an even older Jewish tradition that great men die on the day of their conception. Which ultimately links everything back to 14 Nisan and Passover.

It's not that the Christian holidays were specifically tied to pagan holidays, it's that they were tied to dates near nexuses of pagan holidays and largely took symbols from paganism. Winter Solstice celebrations from different cultures all occur between the 21st and 23rd of December. The trees, yule log stuff like that.

Easter the one Christian holiday that has its own date of significance, coinciding with Passover. Buuuuut, a lot of the traditions are stolen straight from paganism. The easter bunny? Symbol of fertility hiding chicken eggs, a sign of the spring as any chicken eggs set under a broody around the spring equinox would be hatching during "easter season"

Fascinating that Christanity can really be boiled down to 2 holidays: Christmas and Easter, and their associated surrounding holidays (eg Good Friday). Judaism has, what? 3 big ones and about 3-4 small ones that are commonly celebrated?

Hanukkah is not one of the big ones, btw. That exists for much the same reason as Christmas: Jewish kids wanted a winter holiday because the other religions had big holidays around that season.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

Easter the one Christian holiday that has its own date of significance, coinciding with Passover. Buuuuut, a lot of the traditions are stolen straight from paganism. The easter bunny? Symbol of fertility hiding chicken eggs, a sign of the spring as any chicken eggs set under a broody around the spring equinox would be hatching during "easter season"

Not to mention the English name for the holiday, "Easter," is derived from the Germanic goddess of spring.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Dude we are all old as hell at this point. Next offseason it’ll be what hemorrhoid cream works best

lmao if you’re using otc cream and not made to order suppositories from your local pharmacy. You imbecile, you absolute buffoon

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Warbird posted:

lmao if you’re using otc cream and not made to order suppositories from your local pharmacy. You imbecile, you absolute buffoon

This is one of the things I enjoy about getting older. Twenty years ago I’d have been embarrassed to ask where the suppositories are. I’m getting closer every day to the most evolved being on earth: naked old guy strutting around the locker room.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh no bud, it’s not asking where they are. I’m going up to the counter and saying “yo, break out the molds and pour me out some fresh please and thank you”. Much more intimate.

But really though, adding a couple of tsp of benefiber to my morning coffee has fixed that problem right up. That’s half the recommended amount too. Would super recommend that vs the tang stuff in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I encourage everyone to see a gastro early and get banding when possible. New techs make it an inpatient procedure, and that's much better than the surgery if it gets too bad for banding.