Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly I'm not sure what those upgrades could be. Desire Driver spoilers: the only sounds left in the Driver, according to KR wiki, are Fantasy and Boost Mk-III. The latter is obviously for Ace so he can have his nine tails, and Fantasy is unlikely to go for both even though it'd fit either. I kind of expect Neon to get nothing.

Going by Revice and Zero One, all three eventually got upgrades so I'd expect the trend to stay the same for the secondary and tertiary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Going by Revice and Zero One, all three eventually got upgrades so I'd expect the trend to stay the same for the secondary and tertiary

Yaiba didn't get one until post-series and it was a recolour of a form she already had with a new helmet, and as much as I love Sakura, her power-up was clearly not scripted and was thrown in at the last second considering how it's a retooled chest from Poppy and Neohi Magia's hair thrown on top of the basic Jeanne suit, it even skips the movie despite how she should have it at that point.

I don't think you can take either as an example. I hope you're right and Neon gets something but I think it's far more likely Fantasy is Keiwa's final form, Boost Mk-III is Ace's and Neon gets nothing above Fever Beat/Beat Boost. She didn't even get a chance to use Command which the other three protagonists did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yaiba didn't get one until post-series and it was a recolour of a form she already had with a new helmet, and as much as I love Sakura, her power-up was clearly not scripted and was thrown in at the last second considering how it's a retooled chest from Poppy and Neohi Magia's hair thrown on top of the basic Jeanne suit, it even skips the movie despite how she should have it at that point.

I don't think you can take either as an example. I hope you're right and Neon gets something but I think it's far more likely Fantasy is Keiwa's final form, Boost Mk-III is Ace's and Neon gets nothing above Fever Beat/Beat Boost. She didn't even get a chance to use Command which the other three protagonists did.

To be fair, Jeanne didn’t get a powerup until almost the end of Revice so there might still be hope

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
so usually at the end of the previous sentai, the next sentai like cameo for 10 secs to beat up a random general or goon as a teaser.
which episode or movie did King-Onger cameo in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

so usually at the end of the previous sentai, the next sentai like cameo for 10 secs to beat up a random general or goon as a teaser.

The end of DonBrothers if I remember right

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Some behind the scenes stuff from Shin Kamen Rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHUN1ATGqSw

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GateOfD posted:

The team itself did not appear, but King-Ohger appears in Episode 45 out of nowhere as Don King-Ohger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The team itself did not appear, but King-Ohger appears in Episode 45 out of nowhere as Don King-Ohger.

The MOTW of that episode was also King-Ohger themed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shin Kamen Rider has appeared on Fandango and depending on your area, some theaters may already be listed for the May 31 date listed in AMC

https://www.fandango.com/shin-kamen-rider-2023-231615/movie-overview

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

Shin Kamen Rider has appeared on Fandango and depending on your area, some theaters may already be listed for the May 31 date listed in AMC

https://www.fandango.com/shin-kamen-rider-2023-231615/movie-overview

Can confirm, you can actually buy tickets to the movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
None in my area :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Most of the theaters that are up right now are indie theaters, the chains will probably go up on an official announcement.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I am enjoying the Z dub.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fivemarks posted:

If King Ohger's pattern for episodes becomes "King Ohgers deal with a Bugnarok problem, then Racles shows up, does some EVIL poo poo, and then everyone but the King Ohgers acts like he's jesus", I'm going to drop this show hard.

Counterpoint: Even if it did that, it still has Rita. :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Most of the theaters that are up right now are indie theaters, the chains will probably go up on an official announcement.

I'm in Philadelphia. A major city with a bunch of indie theaters. There's zero planning on showing it as far as been listed. As far as I could search, there's listings for these states:
California
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Texas
Virginia

Source: https://www.showtimes.com/movie-times/shin-kamen-rider-170045/philadelphia-pa/

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
love that Rita also seems to serve as the comic relief

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GateOfD posted:

love that Rita also seems to serve as the comic relief

At very first glance I thought the yeti was talking. Then I realized it wasn't. :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

cross posting from the CD kaiju thread:

I recently watched Shin Kamen Rider and Zeiram (both '92) after remembering Hakaider and wanting more in that style.

To follow up on this (several months later (because the 92 Shin was bad and it turned me off)) I watched ZO and J.

ZO (93):

This is Terminator 2 in a third of the run time, produced with a percentage of the budget, and with a guy in a suit instead of Arnold. Surprisingly, it rules..?

Loving father/evil scientist Dr. Mochizuki is researching the creation of a perfect life form, unbounded by morality or whatever else. (A decent enough hobby.) After deciding against pointless creating evil monsters, he's imprisoned by the nearly finished but then discarded Doras. Doras plots to kidnap his son as leverage to coerce the doctor into completing it. Trapped within a Giger-techno-flesh prison, the doctor issues a telepathic plea to an earlier experiment of his that had escaped -- the mostly human Kamen Rider ZO -- to protect his son.

The film's suit game is on point, and most of the action is quite good, including a few commendable fights between the suit actor and a stop motion creature. There is goop and there is vinyl and it's all pleasantly gross.

It's also kind of lowkey horny for the male body in a manner I wasn't quite expecting. There's more than a little shirtless male bondage, and ZO bonding with the son of the man who experimented on him kinda sorta has some "awkwardly introducing yourself as dad's gay partner" vibes, even if that's not quite what's going on.

Less positively, there's some cruft. We spend a lot of time being introduced to the son's family and friends, including his eccentric inventor uncle and some teenage karateka, but while they take up some screentime they pretty much don't matter. This isn't necessarily a problem, but its weird we get that instead of any insight into the Dr. Mochizuki's changing motivations. If Shin ('92) was 45 minutes of film painfully stretched twice this time, then ZO is a 26 episode series cropped to the bare essentials.

In this case, that made for a tremendously better film. Kamen Rider ZO is a very enjoyable way to kill 50 minutes, even if it isn't quite the fully package. (That would be '95s Hakaider.)

J (94) is a very different beast:

Where ZO was set in a contemporary Japanese city, J is set in the isolated wilderness of the mountains as its encroached upon by modern development. It's all spiritual and very Ferngully.

The Fog, migratory aliens who last visited the planet 66 million years ago when they ravenously wiped out the dinosaurs, have returned. They're about to hatch a new brood which will wipe out human life, however before they do so they must first sacrifice a human. To that purpose they find two people camping in the mountains, Kana and Kouji. They kidnap Kana, while Kouji gets tossed over a cliff.

Kouji is saved by spirits of the Earth, who grant him the J Power with which he can transform into Kamen Rider J. He goes off to stop the Fog and save Kana, accompanied by awful puppet grasshopper, Barry.

J travels from unspoiled wilderness into more developed and polluted terrain, fighting each enemy minion in turn, as he journeys to Dracula's castle the Fog Mother. There are some fantastic suits, decent choreography, and the goop is here. It all culminates with Dracula's castle the Fog Mother transforming into a giant monster, whereupon J turns giant himself, leaps into space, and does a diving kick from the stratosphere. It's not quite a chaos dunk, but then what is?

Less pleasantly, the film's treatment of Kana is weird. For the first half I presumed she was Kouji's younger sister, but then its revealed that she's just some wandering child he happened to meet while camping? And who has since joined him to live at his camp? And while the film doesn't makes this explicit, her sacrifice to the Fog is presented more than a little sexually. I think she's also meant to represent Mother Earth?

It's not great!

Even beyond all that, I didn't think it quite measured up to ZO. It's probably the best produced of the three '90s films (and the best paced) but the setting is so removed and the villains are so disconnected that it's hard to care about the conflict. It's all immaterial.

(For comparison, ZO had Dr. Mochizuki build an evil science base in a processing plant in the middle of a open-pit mine, and had Doras built itself a robot body out of metal detritus in a junkyard. In J, the movie about the despoiling of nature, but it all amounts to some images of wilderness and vague sexual danger against a preteen.)

Still a better watch than Shin '92. Like, considerably so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fandango is showing a Fathom poster for Shin Kamen Rider, so it's all but confirmed. Still not available for sale everywhere, but we're likely to get the official announcement next week and the May 31 date is like 90% true.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Schwarzwald posted:

To follow up on this (several months later (because the 92 Shin was bad and it turned me off)) I watched ZO and J.

ZO and J were a product of Shinichiro Shirakura and Keita Amemiya deciding to not continue the Shin Kamen Rider project after the prologue for a variety of reasons (Surprisingly sales wasn't one of them - it apparently did well for a direct-to-video production) and leaving a bunch of budget and production plans in the hands of Amemiya. That's also why they're both visual treats with very distinct aesthetics you only really see in Amemiya's 90s fantasy stuff. If you haven't, I highly recommend watching Mechanical Violator Hakaider and Zeiram for more of that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Be honest: Would you be surprised if Racles sided with the Bugnarok at some point in this show?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei posted:

Be honest: Would you be surprised if Racles sided with the Bugnarok at some point in this show?

I feel it's either that or he actually joins the heroes, but I can't imagine he'll remain a third party forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, I'm on team Racles Final Boss

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn’t it all but confirmed that he’s the upcoming silver rival ranger at this point (it’s literally a recolor of his brother’s suit after all and the end of the last episode revealed Racles had his own Zord now)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 14, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Trogglodyte posted:

ZO and J were a product of Shinichiro Shirakura and Keita Amemiya deciding to not continue the Shin Kamen Rider project after the prologue for a variety of reasons (Surprisingly sales wasn't one of them - it apparently did well for a direct-to-video production) and leaving a bunch of budget and production plans in the hands of Amemiya. That's also why they're both visual treats with very distinct aesthetics you only really see in Amemiya's 90s fantasy stuff. If you haven't, I highly recommend watching Mechanical Violator Hakaider and Zeiram for more of that.

I have! Hakaider is probably my favorite of the 90s Kamen Rider features (if you count it as one of those) and Zeiram is easily the best tokusatsu movie about Mario and Luigi helping Samus and Adam capture Mother Brain.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, I'm on team Racles Final Boss

Bugnarok collectively form the sixth ranger.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Fandango is showing a Fathom poster for Shin Kamen Rider, so it's all but confirmed. Still not available for sale everywhere, but we're likely to get the official announcement next week and the May 31 date is like 90% true.

It's mostly a problem since I'm ~an hour away from any theater that does event screenings, but dang does it suck when these land in the middle of the week. Think I skipped Shin Ultraman because of that (and because I had other means to see it, but)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Motto posted:

It's mostly a problem since I'm ~an hour away from any theater that does event screenings, but dang does it suck when these land in the middle of the week. Think I skipped Shin Ultraman because of that (and because I had other means to see it, but)

Ah poo poo, I didn't even think about it, but that sure is a Wednesday. Guess I'll have to figure that out, oh well.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."

Waffleman_ posted:

If anything, the dropped character is Keiwa being terminally unemployed

Keiwa took a gap year before entering the university, so despite being 22 he is still a junior student. He does not need to be that hurry for employment.
People are also guessing something may have happened during his gap year now that everyone except him has some special background.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
EDIT: Nevermind

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

For those of you who were keeping your eyes on Shin Ultraman theater stuff stateside: what's the likelyhood of Shin Kamen Rider being picked up by Cinemark? The nearest AMC theater currently listed for me is like a half hour away. How long should I be waiting before pulling the trigger on tickets, here?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I watched Ultraman at a Cinemark. I don't think you can even actually buy the AMC tickets yet. We'll probably get an official announcement sometime next week or so and then the full theater lists will be released.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Melody_Lia_A/status/1646507776452218882

Looks like episodes 6-8 of Kingoh will also be a miniarc of sorts, judging by the script

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
Geats ep. 31:
I joked about it last week that when Sara was put in danger we should be worried about Keiwa's safety instead. I was proven right.

Turned out the whole DGP "granting your wish" bussiness is a zero-sum game. This also explains why the retired players' desires would get eliminated and why ordinary people won't return when every rider is eliminated.
If they still plan to redeem Michinaga, they must try even harder now after this episode. Heaven and Hell game was organized with his consent, and he mocked and then kicked out someone wishing others' happiness. I don't think some cheap redemption arc is going to make up for what he has been doing.
Daichi is making some nice faces in this episode. I come to like him a little more.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 16, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eldsluft posted:

Geats ep. 31:
I joked about it last week that when Sara was put in danger we should be worried about Keiwa's safety instead. I was proven right.

Turned out the whole DGP "granting your wish" bussiness is a zero-sum game. This also explains why the retired players' desires would get eliminated and why ordinary people won't return when every rider is eliminated.
If they still plan to redeem Michinaga, they must try even harder now after this episode. Heaven and Hell game was organized with his consent, and he mocked and then kicked out someone wishing others' happiness. I don't think some cheap redemption arc is going to make up for what he has been doing.
Daichi is making some nice faces in this episode. I come to like him a little more.

Michinaga is Baron. He is going full scorched earth to eliminate the unjust system, no matter what unjust actions he has to take.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xelkelvos posted:

Michinaga is Baron. He is going full scorched earth to eliminate the unjust system, no matter what unjust actions he has to take.

Micchy is Baron and Nadge-Sparrow is Micchy

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel kind of like Baron's motivation was "When I'm on top, I'll do away with the things I dislike" whereas Buffa's is more along the lines of "I'll do away with everything, and that way none of the stuff I hate will be a problem"

Like he's condemning the very concept of wanting things at this point, he's basically the Kamen Rider version of

Which also makes me think we're headed for some kind of Madoka ending, or y'know, I guess technically a Ryuki ending (Utena ending?)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is sunk-cost villainy a thing? It feels like that's a lot of what's powering him at this point, since it's hard to imagine anyone looking at Beroba and thinking they're a good guy for working with her.