Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
5 guys buns are gross and their condiments suck. they also have terrible fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it's amazing scientists haven't figured out how to grow some poo poo that comes out of one specific field in france literally anywhere else.

by tonnage like 90% of it is chinese

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nrook posted:

I’ve had a tough time finding a really good burger in nyc, honestly, though I haven’t tried very hard either. I live right near Emily but afaik their burger, while well-regarded, uses a mayo-based sauce which is not something I’m really interested in

i guess it kinda depends on how you define "really good" but oh god there are so many. pubs and stuff are usually a good bet, but some of the smaller local chains are real good too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

lol i always thought this too but any time i bring it up i get shouted down

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bob dobbs is dead posted:

by tonnage like 90% of it is chinese

i got the place wrong it's northern italy, but white truffles only grow in a few places

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

nrook posted:

I’ve had a tough time finding a really good burger in nyc, honestly, though I haven’t tried very hard either. I live right near Emily but afaik their burger, while well-regarded, uses a mayo-based sauce which is not something I’m really interested in

depends on what you want, and you can always order without sauce or butter

best burgers ive had are at steakhouses, with keen's ($26 with fries) or wolfgangs (chain but still good, also like $26 w fries) being my favorites

i'm p sure keens uses butter or mayo to up the flavor profile

i also like white castle and pauls da burger joint, which is obstensibly just a really large white castle burger (and awesome)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you live by emily in clinton hill? i used to live around there (still do, kinda). putnams was under renovation when i moved further away for it to be convenient but i remember it being real good

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ted's montana grill has really good bison burgers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

huh there's 7 like "real" wolfgangs and the other ones ive seen traveling are just franchises and not quite the same, that's good to know

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it's amazing scientists haven't figured out how to grow some poo poo that comes out of one specific field in france literally anywhere else.

the other rub with truffles is they are not that good unless youre eating them right after you harvest them. truffle is fail

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

swr

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqgOioxI1I this came on while letting youtube self recommend food videos, was real good about the details

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ngl, five guys on bleeker was always my go-to for burgers in the city. grab a burger downstairs and a beer at the bar upstairs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the Whopper Bar is pretty good. pretty cheap for downtown manhattan

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nrook posted:

that burger joint place I linked on 56th was legit good when I went

not-comedy comedy option get the lamb burger from xi'an famous foods

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

there is also a club of people (some of whom are acquaintances) who basically go to every burger spot, order like a hamburger or cheeseburger and rank em and put em on a map, only the top rankers stay on the map (assuming they also stay in business)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1mSaZo6Rk6yZkYId7uHjxBS2Oiys&shorturl=1&ll=40.77586776509706%2C-73.93064600000001&z=12

useful

edit: oooh donovans pub is also a good one that's in woodside though

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 12, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
good tips, ty posters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

post hole digger posted:

im here in yospos to barge into threads where i only vaguely know what people are talking about, if that, and start making annoying, unoriginal observations, not to read threads.

uh I thought that was what we were all doing?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

git apologist posted:

‘sold out in 3 days’ did they just make up like 100 of them and put them on the shelf or something

microwave fresh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

nrook posted:

red hook tavern

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there's a place in ottawa i've had the luxury of dining at a couple of times called atelier. it's one of the best restaurants in the country. super creative chef, does a lot of innovative and modern tasting menus.

we did the nye menu one year which was insane and at one course the chef (the unfortunately named marc lepine) came out and just sort of made it rain black truffle onto everyone's plates with a fancy hand grater

thats my truffle story thank you for coming to my ted talk

also was well past buzzed that night even though i ordered the half portion alcohol pairing because the sommelier was a cool dude who just decided to keep filling 'er all the way up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

also was well past buzzed that night even though i ordered the half portion alcohol pairing because the sommelier was a cool dude who just decided to keep filling 'er all the way up

Ottawa has enough Quebec influence that that probably was the half portion

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

speaking of bougie food, i still want to try fresh wasabi. some day.

it’s more mild and grittier in texture

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am officially an old dad because i refuse to pay what it costs to eat at a restaurant these days (it's ridiculous!!) and constantly bring up how much cheaper everything used to be

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

i am officially an old dad because i refuse to pay what it costs to eat at a restaurant these days (it's ridiculous!!) and constantly bring up how much cheaper everything used to be

while simultaneously having a lot more money than u did back then?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

when back then was 2020 the answer is generally going to be “no”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

spending less money on expensive restaurants tends to result in having more money, yes

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

polyester concept posted:

i mean cost of goods is up, rent is definitely up, and ive personally helped at least a dozen people get the gently caress out of hospitality into other roles because it Fuckin Sucks to work as a server/bartender to begin with. i still go out to eat a lot. my friends still serving still have bills to pay and its important to support local joints.

like yeah save your money, but somebodys gotta spend money at the fun bars and restaurants or theyll all disappear

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Casual Encountess posted:

like yeah save your money, but somebodys gotta spend money at the fun bars and restaurants or theyll all disappear

sure, young extroverted people will do that so i don't have to

i'll just stay home and eat a fiscally responsible meal then play videogames

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

sure, young extroverted people will do that so i don't have to

i'll just stay home and eat a fiscally responsible meal then play videogames

i like being the creepy older solo dude tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EhXRX-ti0

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

spending less money on expensive restaurants tends to result in having more money, yes

burning from both ends of the candle

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

eating out and dining in both got expensive, you can’t win

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

eating out and dining in both got expensive, you can’t win

the only winning move might be not to pay elon several years worth of income for his lovely cars

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

no

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

that's what u always say, u rascal :3:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome