Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cop sanity beyond sane/insane only works in games with multiple cops imo because you can really easily fail my rule #1 of setup: is the player going to have fun with their role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Opopanax posted:

Sane Cop is basically neutral, they check someone and get their alignment (except for godfather and Miller), but there also:
Insane cops which get opposite alignments
Paranoid cops whl always get scum results
And Naive cops who always get town results. I feel like I've only seen sane cops for years

That's because cop sanity has never been a good mechanic in the history of mafia.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 11, 2023

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Sane Cop is basically neutral, they check someone and get their alignment (except for godfather and Miller), but there also:
Insane cops which get opposite alignments
Paranoid cops whl always get scum results
And Naive cops who always get town results. I feel like I've only seen sane cops for years

I assume these are all contingent on the player not knowing they are insane/paranoid/naive?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MockingQuantum posted:

I assume these are all contingent on the player not knowing they are insane/paranoid/naive?

That is correct yes. In some games their sanity won't even show when they flip.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've played in-person games before where we had a "hot seer" and "cold seer," the names didn't mean anything in and of themselves, but you knew going in that one seer would be getting correct info and the other got the opposite, so basically sane/insane.

it was fun in games that were large enough to support it because you knew, as one of the seers, that you could have bad info. If the first two nights you investigate and get back scum, are you lucky or insane? It gave you enough information to potentially make a huge mistake, which I always find to be an interesting bind as a player

Obviously a few nights in you would likely know which one you were anyway, in which case you suddenly have a whole lot of concrete info, especially if both seers are in the game, and you can get weird sort of "one guard only lies" type logic chains that make the game too solvable, but in my experience one of the seers usually dies or fucks up before then, lol

It also only really works if it's clear in the setup that there are two seers and ones insane, though smart scum can do fun stuff with that info too

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

MockingQuantum posted:

I've played in-person games before where we had a "hot seer" and "cold seer," the names didn't mean anything in and of themselves, but you knew going in that one seer would be getting correct info and the other got the opposite, so basically sane/insane.

it was fun in games that were large enough to support it because you knew, as one of the seers, that you could have bad info. If the first two nights you investigate and get back scum, are you lucky or insane? It gave you enough information to potentially make a huge mistake, which I always find to be an interesting bind as a player

Obviously a few nights in you would likely know which one you were anyway, in which case you suddenly have a whole lot of concrete info, especially if both seers are in the game, and you can get weird sort of "one guard only lies" type logic chains that make the game too solvable, but in my experience one of the seers usually dies or fucks up before then, lol

It also only really works if it's clear in the setup that there are two seers and ones insane, though smart scum can do fun stuff with that info too

Honestly sort of love this idea.

I think open setups are underutilised. I really like gnosia games for that reason. Makes it more possible to sit down and puzzle it out without trying to mindread the game runner.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Brutal cops, insane cops, paranoid cops, death millers, reverse death millers... Oh and add in cults.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It's actually been a big adjustment for me playing games here because I'm mostly used to playing games of Werewolf that are entirely open setup, but with no flips on death. It's a very different game in some ways, and I could see it being a difficult or frustrating change since it drastically alters the strategy involved if you know how many scum are in the game, but no idea how many are left.

that said, it makes for some very funny and bold plays, like scum just straight up gambling that the seer is dead and claiming the role to vote out the person they suspect is the doctor or whatever.

It also allows for some roles that receive different kinds of info, like what we called the "mystic," which was a sort of assistant seer who didn't investigate but was told every night how many scum (or how many players appeared to be scum) were still in the game at the start of the night

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
remember my great draft idea i had, someone should run that

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Oh yeah add janitors to that thing I posted.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I once ran a game where the cop was explicitly told they were sane, and then every scum member had a godfather (returns-town) ability.

I ran another game once where the cop was insane but the backup cop was sane.

And another where the cop was a brutal cop (kills all SCUM results) and also paranoid (only gets SCUM results)

Good times.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

EccoRaven posted:

I once ran a game where the cop was explicitly told they were sane, and then every scum member had a godfather (returns-town) ability.

And another where the cop was a brutal cop (kills all SCUM results) and also paranoid (only gets SCUM results)

Good times.

You also ran a cult cop in a game with no cult!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

My favorite cop was a scum cop whose entire role PM read:

ALIGNMENT: Scum
ROLE: Cop
DESCRIPTION: You know that there are no roles in this game that can determine alignment.

I'm sure I had a rolecop or two in that game as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Miller/godfather with a town rolecop is great fun

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

What games are recruiting right now?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

wins32767 posted:

What games are recruiting right now?

Pinball Mafia 3 is now taking signups!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029135

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

That's because cop sanity has never been a good mechanic in the history of mafia.

Cops in general are a bad mechanic

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
all cops are bastarinos

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel has ended in a ===Skaa Rebel (Scum team) clean sweep victory===

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Only 4 more needed for this btw!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Small note: the Mafia New Games thread got pinned to the top of the TG subforum, so it's now more visible. Would be good to remember to list games there too, might attract new people now that it's not sunken in the depths of the forum...

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Mordiceius posted:

Mistborn: Chaos in Luthadel has ended in a ===Skaa Rebel (Scum team) clean sweep victory===

Hell yeah, viva la revolucion! I mean, this happens roughly every hundred years and never lasts, but, you know, I'm sure they feel proud of themselves.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
when you think about it, vigs also find out a player’s alignment

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

birdstrike posted:

when you think about it, vigs also find out a player’s alignment

Bullet cop

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"I was confirming them as town"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I know the Cop That Also Kills Who They Investigate role as Brutal Cop, usually it's "if you investigate someone and they are town you will kill them", as a drawback instead of being basically a Vig that confirms alignment at night.

I don't think I've ever seen it on SA. I've seen Insane Cop a very small number of times, and Paranoid (All NOT TOWN results) and Naive (all TOWN results) only in dethy-adjacent setups.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cops are boring and bad.

Every variation on a cop makes a boring and bad role even worse.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

gently caress it, the hyperfixation set in, we're rolling.

The Last Nights of Camelot, a newbie/returning-player friendly setup for 16 players.

The Last Nights of Camelot has ended with a Town Victory.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ya'll are so jaded about cops. Cops are cool and fun and good. Cop variations (if a normal part of the meta) are cool and fun and good. Good cop play requires good judgement in target selection, good casing skills and drawing a little heat while still keeping your credibility. It's probably got the highest skill ceiling of any town role (maybe watcher is on par).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Flavor cops and rolecops are the most fun

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wins32767 posted:

Ya'll are so jaded about cops. Cops are cool and fun and good.
MODS?!?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

EccoRaven posted:

Good times.

You also ran a game where the scum had no NK. There was an SK, and when he died the game crawllllllllllllled.

It was the single most unfun game of mafia I've ever played. And I've played games that basically existed only as a vehicle for me to get into screaming matches with merk.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Pander posted:

And I've played games that basically existed only as a vehicle for me to get into screaming matches with merk.

Huh me too.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

EccoRaven posted:

Good times.

I still remember that game where you put me, as a newbie, into a masonry. I was a miller, with the godfather and the cop.

So rude.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

Good times.

My first game was one of yours, clearly marked "newbie friendly." I was scum.

Near the end of the game, the game merged with a different game you were running at the same time, one I hadn't read because I wasn't in it.

Thread A, the scum were near victory. Thread B had just finished off their last scum. So the new town of Thread A-and-B realized they should just pick off members of Thread A in order of suspiciousness.

It did not feel "newbie friendly."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pander posted:

You also ran a game where the scum had no NK. There was an SK, and when he died the game crawllllllllllllled.

There was another Ecco game where town were the killers and it was great.

Pigs in Space II when?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

spacing in vienna posted:

My first game was one of yours, clearly marked "newbie friendly." I was scum.

Near the end of the game, the game merged with a different game you were running at the same time, one I hadn't read because I wasn't in it.

Thread A, the scum were near victory. Thread B had just finished off their last scum. So the new town of Thread A-and-B realized they should just pick off members of Thread A in order of suspiciousness.

It did not feel "newbie friendly."

I remember reading one of those. I cringed hard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Meanwhile I remember the time I, as a VT, accidentally slept through my own execution after lurking early on

And felt so bad about my own lackluster performance that I don’t think I’ve joined an eccogame since out of guilt (and also not playing mafia much for a few years, lmao)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dead players have an optional final vote to use once after death.
Dead players can still post.
Flips are hidden.
Everyone always has a power, however bit part.

It would be interesting to have a 'blood on the Clocktower' style forum mafia game by having those variant rules hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vengeful roles, where they get to vig someone if they die, are pretty funny