Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Aerox posted:

God I’m going to get baited into going eater again

The atlas passives are on the side of the atlas tree I'm running. Also I can more reliably do the eater deathless than the exarch (gently caress fireballs). Otherwise I'd do exarch every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

poison scales well with # of casts/attacks because its stack potential scales with how fast you can sling hits. so people drop the amount of damage their average hits do in favor of hitting more often because speed is a more multiplier for those builds.

For most poison builds, you can think them as a hit build with delayed damage so it needs to ramp up, dot scaling, and duration scaling. Rate vs. size of hits works the same as a hit build.

The reason hits are small is because it scales off dot multi, duration, poison damage, etc. instead of off things that scale the hits.

Aerox posted:

I heard some early concerns about Cascade and it’s DPS against bosses - did that end up being anything? It’s what’s kept me from swapping since my T16 clear is great but single target on pinnacles/beefed rares/stacked essence monsters is what keeps getting me killed.

I haven't heard of any cases where VC hasn't been what people hoped for. It doesn't work well with Tornado Shot, because that uses secondary projectiles which don't return, but otherwise it's a ~2x multiplier for most attack projectile builds and sometimes more for the ones that can shotgun like LA, KB, and MS.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I haven't heard of any cases where VC hasn't been what people hoped for. It doesn't work well with Tornado Shot, because that uses secondary projectiles which don't return, but otherwise it's a ~2x multiplier for most attack projectile builds and sometimes more for the ones that can shotgun like LA, KB, and MS.

Hell yeah, I’m swapping tonight then. Thanks!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The atlas passives are on the side of the atlas tree I'm running. Also I can more reliably do the eater deathless than the exarch (gently caress fireballs). Otherwise I'd do exarch every time.

Thanks to the new gates I have equal access because I’m running Expedition & Ritual so swapping to Eater only costs me like 1-2 more points than Exarch.

I’m doing it. gently caress the fireball game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah I love the gate right by the eater/exarch nodes, let's me go expedition but also beyond or exarch or etc, such a huge improvement

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Aerox posted:

Thanks to the new gates I have equal access because I’m running Expedition & Ritual so swapping to Eater only costs me like 1-2 more points than Exarch.

I’m doing it. gently caress the fireball game.

Im doing expedition and abyss. New abyss has been lame in that its still 95% troves but I've gotten some good abyss jewels. T1 max roll minion poison, minions chaos damage, and life financed my whole build.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am taking day off. No progress, not even a 20 minute trade check. I'm quicksilver flask zoom zooming straight to bed.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Speed is a more multiplier for every build. Two poisons each dealing 100 damage has the same total damage and DPS as one poison stack dealing 200 damage. If both these builds go from 1 aps to 2 aps, they get the same percent increase in total damage dealt. If the first goes from 2aps to 3aps and the second goes from 1aps to 1.5aps they still have the same DPS. Assassin used to give additional poison damage for each poison on the enemy, giving a scaling vector that allowed attack speed to scale non-linearly. That is no longer the case and, with caveats like larger hits apply larger ailments and faster aps feels better notwithstanding, attack speed scales hit and poison builds equally.
yes, correct. you are talking about dps. i am talking about dps and average hit. if you are a poison build, you are going to slot in gems that will reduce your average hit, but either increase attack/cast speed, number of hits (totems) or outright reduces hit damage in exchange for more damage over time.

this distinction is important for something like freeze, which cares about large hits to inflict freeze and poison whose best support gems reduce your average hit.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

FZeroRacer posted:

yes, correct. you are talking about dps. i am talking about dps and average hit. if you are a poison build, you are going to slot in gems that will reduce your average hit, but either increase attack/cast speed, number of hits (totems) or outright reduces hit damage in exchange for more damage over time.

this distinction is important for something like freeze, which cares about large hits to inflict freeze and poison whose best support gems reduce your average hit.

Just gonna quote your literal words here because this is some strong goalpost moving and I never disagreed with the point you make here and which Tom Clancy Is Dead made better and more succinctly earlier.

FZeroRacer posted:

poison scales well with # of casts/attacks because its stack potential scales with how fast you can sling hits. so people drop the amount of damage their average hits do in favor of hitting more often because speed is a more multiplier for those builds.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if you can tell that rares have mods, much less which ones, then your damage is an order of magnitude too low

Yeah corrupting fever requires more gear I guess. Just irritated getting slowed down and chased by a super fast mob

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/12jlcgb/rank_2_jug_rip_on_ruthless_ssf_hc/

Amazing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Also, did they fix the body armor node yet?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Cocaine Rhoas are no joke

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Got to the endgame on a RF Jugg, but I just followed a guide. I honestly have no real feeling on what to do next. I am struggling with tier 5/6 maps, but it’s unclear how to upgrade my character. I tried to understand Pohx’s gear guide but it seems like my current gear is pretty close to what is recommended anyway, I think. I’m probably wrong though but it’s hard to tell why.

Also trading seems insane I have no idea

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Never had access to Mjölnir before, are there any up to date builds that aren't incredibly useless to try in ssf? If not, I'll just gin up something even more stupid that dies in yellow maps.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Tenacious J posted:

Got to the endgame on a RF Jugg, but I just followed a guide. I honestly have no real feeling on what to do next. I am struggling with tier 5/6 maps, but it’s unclear how to upgrade my character. I tried to understand Pohx’s gear guide but it seems like my current gear is pretty close to what is recommended anyway, I think. I’m probably wrong though but it’s hard to tell why.

Link your character

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love my righteous fire juggernaut :)

I made it to act 4!

Act 3 was really fun once I figured out how to get past the hoop in the sewers. Act 3 finale boss fight was much tougher than act 2 and slightly tougher than act 1. Love my ghost library friend who sells all the gems!!!

Act 4 was also delightfully fun. Seemed relatively short with some fun fights and aesthetics. Final boss fight and leading up to it was a nice weird change of pace.

Beat the bosses no problem with RF marauder but when I was walking up the peak to get to act 5 I was exploded by a pack of blues almost instantly.

It’s so weird how different enemies do wildly different amounts of effective damage against this marauder.

I’ve got tons of hp and life regen but sometimes I just pop and I think wowzers must be rough for other classes.

This is fun for a first serious play through :)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

Link your character/pob and people can write up an essay about your next steps. The cool thing about RF is it scales off so many different things that there should be multiple things you can work on.

I find that newer players tend to discount a lot of item mods and how they work in tandem with the build. You undoubtedly are missing a damage mod here, a damage mod there, maybe your gear isn't on armor bases etc. So it might look similar to the guide you're following without being similar at all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Keru posted:

Never had access to Mjölnir before, are there any up to date builds that aren't incredibly useless to try in ssf? If not, I'll just gin up something even more stupid that dies in yellow maps.

Mjolnir manabond hiero is a sick build

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

interrodactyl posted:

Mjolnir manabond hiero is a sick build

Doesn't that require a bunch of other uniques to function, like Indigon?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I haven't played it but the person who got featured on build of the week last league started the build from the day he got mjolner. There are definitely other uniques you'd want to try to farm for, and some that are somewhat out of reach for ssf, but it definitely seems adaptable to ssf once you have the mjolner. I reckon you'll be doing some work to make it work but looking at their first few days/weeks on poe.ninja will probably be really useful.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I heard a rumor that you can tell what the first node is going to be based on what monsters show up when channeling a crucible. Can anyone confirm?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I heard a rumor that you can tell what the first node is going to be based on what monsters show up when channeling a crucible. Can anyone confirm?

This was true at launch but is no longer.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

I haven't played it but the person who got featured on build of the week last league started the build from the day he got mjolner. There are definitely other uniques you'd want to try to farm for, and some that are somewhat out of reach for ssf, but it definitely seems adaptable to ssf once you have the mjolner. I reckon you'll be doing some work to make it work but looking at their first few days/weeks on poe.ninja will probably be really useful.

I'll check it out more indepth, then, the pob I found was in full 'I spent untold divines on this to hit billions of damage' mode, so I wrote it off as a POB Warrior 'build'.

Keru fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 13, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

If you feel burned out by the massive bloat of mechanics in PoE sometimes I strongly suggest Ruthless

I know ruthless is a laughing stock for most but its honestly the most fun I've had in poe for leagues

No need to worry about efficiently doing all your league mechanics / crafting

You just cruise maps and pick up all rares, then freak out when you get a decent item or find an alc orb

The economy is small, which is fun tbh, everything is worth at least something

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah I just got to maps, and it's very slow paced, I'm not even sure what to do for my atlas tree. I decided I wanted to level a regular trade character as well and as soon as I hit the first crafting recipe I remembered about having to unlock all that bullshit and how I don't have to worry about any of that in ruthless.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Honestly if you are burnt out on poe, skip like 2 leagues like I did.

I'm just having fun with the base game despite the league being poo poo and skipping it since everything is so fresh.

AN being gone, having fun with the Atlas tree since I barely interacted with it when it got introduced as I quit that league in white maps and trying out a new build.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Crucible now has a % indicator and scales smoother, a week late as usual. :rolleyes:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Instead of playing ruthless you can also just turn the mechanics off on the Atlas tree or ignore them. There is no rule saying you have to do everything you encounter, nor do you have to do things the most efficient way possible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man the power creep is insane. I'm playing and all the uniques I remember being good are unused nowadays.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

After playing 1000 hours of this game, there is a tiny voice inside my head whispering "...nobody's made a spider build this league... Kay is gone forever... maybe you can do it. Maybe you can make the new spider build."

How do I make the voice go away? Not accepting "make the spider build" as an answer.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Make the spider build :colbert:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DaveKap posted:

After playing 1000 hours of this game, there is a tiny voice inside my head whispering "...nobody's made a spider build this league... Kay is gone forever... maybe you can do it. Maybe you can make the new spider build."

How do I make the voice go away? Not accepting "make the spider build" as an answer.

Why would you make a new spider build? Doesn't CasualDan have that covered?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bring Kay back

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gotta make minions good again then

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Gotta make minions good again then

:thunk:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mikojan posted:

No need to worry about efficiently doing all your league mechanics / crafting

why would i be worrying about that. is there a poe auditor thats going to shoot me in the face for not playing efficiently?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

Make a build with Spark Spider MTX and pretend they're minions, that's what I did a few leagues ago.

edit: Apparently because there's -10% Skill Duration Crucible weapons, you can now hit -99% skill duration and cap the server out at 30 Saqawal Twister procs a second, and you can use Spark Spider MTX on those as well! Imagine this but with Spark Spiders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBgO6QP-xKU

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 13, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stux posted:

why would i be worrying about that. is there a poe auditor thats going to shoot me in the face for not playing efficiently?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Quote from inefficient Exile: "what are you gonna do, audit me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you include the time you spend working at your job and interfacing with spouse and kids in the efficiency ratios ?

My guess is yes