Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arzaac posted:

So I'm finally back from dungeon 3 to report: Kromer was kinda fine, actually? For all I've seen people complaining about her passive, I found it was really easy to gather 3 A Sign which completely negates it. She was still a heavy hitter and I might've been in trouble if I was under level 25, but it was otherwise smooth sailing.

Guess I check out the Railway now? I imagine I'm woefully underprepared for it, but I can give it a shot at least.

iirc A Sign used to only slightly buff Sinclair, the negating passive effect was recent. Also not to be the "IT WAS HARDER IN MARCH GUY" but the Sanity change probably also makes it easier to clash her skills. Still hard if you don't have a fully developed team as you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Arzaac posted:

So I'm finally back from dungeon 3 to report: Kromer was kinda fine, actually? For all I've seen people complaining about her passive, I found it was really easy to gather 3 A Sign which completely negates it. She was still a heavy hitter and I might've been in trouble if I was under level 25, but it was otherwise smooth sailing.

Guess I check out the Railway now? I imagine I'm woefully underprepared for it, but I can give it a shot at least.
Don't forget you can grab a unit off support. R Heathcliff and W Don (with Telepole) are your top priorities if you lack one or both.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah, that does make a lot of sense actually. Not being able to disable that mid-dungeon probably meant a ton of people walked in with a team with incidental bleed and were just completely unable to even harm her.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Don't forget you can grab a unit off support. R Heathcliff and W Don (with Telepole) are your top priorities if you lack one or both.

I constantly forget about this, in fact! I don't think I've grabbed a support even once!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Yeah A Sign was just a Sinclair buff at that point, not a license to ignore a major mechanic of the fight. It's a pretty major change and I feel like an unneeded nerf - see the Railway, where sans passive she's honestly a break fight.

IMO even if I understand why they changed it it's a bit disappointing - building a team that could both get through the dungeon and survive the fight against her when a large percentage of the good blunt IDs are N Corp or Liu and thus a active handicap in that fight seemed to be strongly encouraging you to set up and use all 12 sinners, which is what I was hoping the game would do more often going forward. The Railway's a bit more promising in that regard, even if in practice abusing a few specific characters ends up the "ideal" strategy.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GilliamYaeger posted:

I've got both of those, but I'm missing Seven Outis, Kurokumo Ryoshu and N Corp. Meursault, any of which could be difference-makers in RR. If someone wants to loan one to W897509195, that'd be swell.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh. I just noticed something.

So, Kromer's second form looks like a scaled up Lust Peccatulum, right?

Sinclair writes the entry for that one in the logs, and he notes that even though he "can't hear that noise" (implied to be Kromer's whistle), it reminds him of someone who stared at him in a similarly deranged way.

I wonder if some of the other Peccatulum will be used as the basis for big monsters in other chapters. The Gloom one is written by Meursault, the Wrath by Heathcliff, Gluttony by Outis, but both Pride and Sloth are written by Yi Sang.

I wonder which of the two Gubo will turn into.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Nick Buntline posted:

Yeah A Sign was just a Sinclair buff at that point, not a license to ignore a major mechanic of the fight. It's a pretty major change and I feel like an unneeded nerf - see the Railway, where sans passive she's honestly a break fight.

IMO even if I understand why they changed it it's a bit disappointing - building a team that could both get through the dungeon and survive the fight against her when a large percentage of the good blunt IDs are N Corp or Liu and thus a active handicap in that fight seemed to be strongly encouraging you to set up and use all 12 sinners, which is what I was hoping the game would do more often going forward. The Railway's a bit more promising in that regard, even if in practice abusing a few specific characters ends up the "ideal" strategy.

Hilariously Release Kromer was easier than pre A Sign buff Kromer because her passive didn't work so you could take the Kurokumo gang and murder her with 0 worries or maneuvers. And levelling was technically easier because MD gave a shitton of EXP.

i'm tempted to retry 3-22 now that I have a proper team levelled up, let's see if I can get all the gifts and do poo poo like skipping the slithering inquisitor fight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yunno, I anticipated going directly to Liu S. 1 for Tiph's realization, but I did not realize Myo had the power she had to sway this vote.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

iirc A Sign used to only slightly buff Sinclair, the negating passive effect was recent. Also not to be the "IT WAS HARDER IN MARCH GUY" but the Sanity change probably also makes it easier to clash her skills. Still hard if you don't have a fully developed team as you said.

I'm a little mad that i ended up beating her when she was at her hardest

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A Sign nerfing her passive is a change from a very recent patch, and then a few patches before that the passive was bugged to not work at all, so only a subsection of Kromer squads actually had to fight her at full power

e:fb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh walking into her fight with not the right sinners and having to completely back out of the dungeon and redo the whole thing including the endless gauntlet on the last floor suuuuuuucked

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Junpei posted:

Yunno, I anticipated going directly to Liu S. 1 for Tiph's realization, but I did not realize Myo had the power she had to sway this vote.

As my favorite character, all I can say is “that’s Myo, being needlessly awesome again.”

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I hope we end up hopping over to Liu for a bit to unlock the higher Realizations before R Corp 2. I wanna see Gebura wipe the last wave in one move with the Horizontal + GOODBYE combo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TeeQueue posted:

As my favorite character, all I can say is “that’s Myo, being needlessly awesome again.”

You baited the hook with Red Mist coolness though?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The problem I’m having with 3-22 is that while I have three signs I went with mariachi Sinclair who just... I dunno if I’m missing something but he seems to be quite bad.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
He is indeed bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mariachi Sinclair isn't the best at clashing but if you can get unopposed attacks does work. I like him, he carried me through a lot and I used him perfectly fine against Kromer. He's a really good target for the Gripping, thanks to the way that the sign protection works and that he can have some low stagger values in case you fail some of the clashing when he's gripped.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mariachi Sinclair has a really good support passive! That's about it though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mariachi Sinclair has a really good support passive! That's about it though.

His attacks are funny, he shaka da maraca with every move.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I assumed for way too long that when uptied he’d be a quick dodgy guy to make up for the low coin values. Then I actually looked at his speed :wtc:

I had to interrupt my Kromer battle so I don’t actually know just how effective he’ll be, but it’s at least encouraging to see that someone else did it with him.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pigbuster posted:

I assumed for way too long that when uptied he’d be a quick dodgy guy to make up for the low coin values. Then I actually looked at his speed :wtc:

I had to interrupt my Kromer battle so I don’t actually know just how effective he’ll be, but it’s at least encouraging to see that someone else did it with him.
He's supposed to be a tank, hence the low speed - normal enemies prioritize targeting the slowest unit. I don't think that Abno fights do that though, which means he's kinda just poo poo because he can't redirect.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
First three stages of Railway done in 25 turns thanks to following this guide. But I'm not sure I can clear the fourth stage in the time limit. I didn't leave enough E.G.O. resources from the last ones, I don't have enough people to supplement the bleed team, and I didn't bring enough blunt damage to beat their weaknesses the normal way. Should I start over?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Solitair posted:

First three stages of Railway done in 25 turns thanks to following this guide. But I'm not sure I can clear the fourth stage in the time limit. I didn't leave enough E.G.O. resources from the last ones, I don't have enough people to supplement the bleed team, and I didn't bring enough blunt damage to beat their weaknesses the normal way. Should I start over?

Potentially, but I'd consider just retrying the frog first - the guide overestimates the turns needed for it IMO, it's pretty easy to burst down if you just soak a few of the hits and focus in on one of the eyes, especially since you've got R Heath and W Don and can do all of their shenanigans relatively easily. Even if you do go over their "maximum" by a turn or two on some stages you can make it up elsewhere by being more aggressive with resets/soaking (or doing some of the extremely weird solo/duo stage tactics).

Managed to cut my own run down from 138 to this almost entirely by swapping in R Heath and Kurokumo Hong Lu and just being willing to reset if the starting draw was really bad (technically could have done lower but I sandbagged the last battle a little bit to get a nicer number for the banner).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nick Buntline posted:

Eh, A Sign needed some kind of buff just because half of Sinclair's IDs right now are blunt-exclusive, and it feels really bad to spend the entire dungeon building up this super cool thing for him only to find out he's useless because you picked the wrong ID and you can't swap to another without redoing the entire dungeon.

I personally would have made A Sign let Sinclair ignore resists just so he's always useful against Kromer.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Thankfully, Sinclair's base identity is both Slash based and also excellent; even if you pull his blunt identities you uh, probably don't actually want to use them. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

otoh walking into her fight with not the right sinners and having to completely back out of the dungeon and redo the whole thing including the endless gauntlet on the last floor suuuuuuucked

You go in with a full party of 12. I used the Ncorp bleed-o-rama pals for the dungeon proper and then made a kromer squad with a bunch of LCB sinners (including LCB sinclair) and two 00s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You go in with a full party of 12. I used the Ncorp bleed-o-rama pals for the dungeon proper and then made a kromer squad with a bunch of LCB sinners (including LCB sinclair) and two 00s.
the only charactes i had in my Full Party of 12 that werent blunt, bleed, or burn were sinclair, yi sang, faust, don, and ryoshu, all base. ryoshu's ego still burns and don and yi sang had a hard time ego'ing.

im not saying that the game should spell it out or w/e just that itd be nice if, say, you could at least change your team and restart from the last floor.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Burn works fine. The passive only triggers if she still has burn at the start of her next turn, so as long as you don't use effects that increase burn count to last longer than 1 turn (just Liu Meursalt skill3, and now the new Liu Hong Lu) you're safe.
Bleed is also theoretically usable as long as you make sure to clash with something faster than the boss's slowest skill, since if she flips more coins after getting hit she'll use up the bleed stacks. But that gets kinda hairy when stagger gets involved.

But yeah having to redo the dungeon to rejigger your team after the surprise pop is lame I agree.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 12, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
After what date you won't be able to earn the embellished banner again? I am wavering between putting in the effort to get the sub-120 clear and not bothering with it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Lt. Lizard posted:

After what date you won't be able to earn the embellished banner again? I am wavering between putting in the effort to get the sub-120 clear and not bothering with it.

Next week after weekly reset, so you still have a full week to get the fancy banner.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Great, thanks!

Refraction Railway was actually fun when I took my time and just did 2-3 nodes a day, so if I don't have to rush, I'll probably re-run it at similar pace for the fancy banner.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
omg does the game feel way worse to play with the discard bug fixed.

It already sucked having like 3 turns potentially of your guys just doing nothing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's almost like the game is balanced around you not being able to use your best skill every other turn and abusing the mechanics using a bug was giving you out-of-scale power.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
the game is balanced?! where!?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Interesting post I found regarding Sonya and Rodion:

https://www.tumblr.com/fefeman/711247737123979264/imo-sonya-is-projecting-his-own-doubts-on

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Re: skill discard, I saw an interesting suggestion where they could add it back in the game but it costs like 10-15 sanity to use, which would both offset the high power of reworked sanity and add an element of risk while still keeping the high pace of discard gameplay.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's almost like the game is balanced around you not being able to use your best skill every other turn and abusing the mechanics using a bug was giving you out-of-scale power.

I think I said this before but idk, it just feels like sus design.

I'm not a game designer or even good at most games, but imo I feel like ruina's design with cheap cards was better. It's totally fine if some IDs have bad first skills to balance out the other ones being strong, but miss me with like shi heathcliff's first skill. In a very few situations you might want to use it for ego resources or passives or saving for a big burst of damage later (if he did damage I mean lol) but like 90% of the time it just feels bad to use. Compare it to G Greg's first skill does more damage than his second one if it clashes. That's cool! That's good! There's a bit of thought on if you use his second to squeeze in some extra damage on someone, or have him clash a different enemy because he'll do more damage overall or whatever.

They can still be the worst skill in most ID's list, but there's already so much RNG that I think that most IDs, in most scenarios, shouldn't feel like they wasted a turn when they get two of them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Genuinely part of the problem is that a lot of Identities are designed around eventually doing 1-3 skills per turn, not 1 per turn.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Genuinely part of the problem is that a lot of Identities are designed around eventually doing 1-3 skills per turn, not 1 per turn.

Yeah, that's the thing. If the endgame content (Railway) wasn't Abnormality, or it was Abnormality with more skill slots available, it'd be fine.

But here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IMHO a lot of release identities were clearly designed for a different game than the one we got. I hope they will eventually do a balance pass on them.