Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Beltran could've done some real good work if he had material, not sure that's the case with Garret Wang or RDM. You see flashes of, well not brilliance, but something like that from time to time when Chakotay is given something interesting to do. Unity, I think, being the best example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
RDM was pretty good if the script played to his strengths, but some of Wang’s line reads were downright embarrassing.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I think their writing of Harry Kim as perpetually a month out of the Academy and never learning anything didn't play to Wang's strengths. The less he was written that way, the better he did; I thought he was quite good in Timeless, for example.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HD DAD posted:

RDM was pretty good if the script played to his strengths, but some of Wang’s line reads were downright embarrassing.

There's only so many ways to say 'the transporter controls have been locked out!', who can blame him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

They give Paris so many groan worthy one-liners, I hate his quips. The problem is that Kim and Paris essentially serve the same niche as characters, it's another reason they should've dropped Wang. Tom Paris is so boring his own father keeps a photo of an entirely different man from his son on his desk.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

They give Paris so many groan worthy one-liners, I hate his quips. The problem is that Kim and Paris essentially serve the same niche as characters, it's another reason they should've dropped Wang. Tom Paris is so boring his own father keeps a photo of an entirely different man from his son on his desk.

They don't though. Paris is the worldly mentor guy who knows how the "real world" is. Kim is the shiny new ensign who has no life experiences. Paris starts the series out in prison.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Yeah they only seem like the same character because they are equally boring and you are equally uninvested in them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Harry Kim got to stay on the show just because he was hot, he’s a proto 7 of 9

He's like a Delta quadrant 8-9, but an alpha quadrant 7 at best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why a cube, wouldn't a sphere be the most efficient design

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

In terms of what?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They got there eventually

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Real answer I bet is that the death star already cornered the market on giant balls of greeble.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

spheres don't tile correctly. no you want the borg hexagon for best efficiency.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

spheres don't tile correctly. no you want the borg hexagon for best efficiency.

Don't forget the Borg Diamond!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing has improved on the original Borg cube, the loving Descent thing sucked rear end. The sphere is fine but not if it had been the first borg ship we ever saw.

I also don't like how they green them up in Voyager but I guess that's because FC, but the aspect and lighting of film vs tv doesn't translate for me.

Unimatrix zero really tears the heart out of the Borg as a unique and credible threat huh. Shrug off assimilation with a daily dose of Borg Juice, it's no big deal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Don't forget the Borg Diamond!

My favorite ship will always be the Borg H:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite ship will always be the Borg H:

It takes a lot of Preparation to make that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Picard: "It's the Borg Haitch!"

Also I hadn't watch voyager before I saw Picard but they did Icheb dirty huh

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 13, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I think Beltran could've done some real good work if he had material, not sure that's the case with Garret Wang or RDM. You see flashes of, well not brilliance, but something like that from time to time when Chakotay is given something interesting to do. Unity, I think, being the best example.

I think about Scorpion, actually. Because having him actually in conflict with Janeway, even as limited as it was, is interesting. He and Mulgrew actually had decent chemistry, the show just refused to do anything with it, either romantic, or even as simple as letting them disagree.

zoux posted:

Picard: "It's the Borg Haitch!"

Also I hadn't watch voyager before I saw Picard but they did Icheb dirty huh

Apparently the original Icheb is kind of a chud now, so idk, maybe it's for the best?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gaz-L posted:

He and Mulgrew actually had decent chemistry, the show just refused to do anything with it, either romantic, or even as simple as letting them disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eax1l0WvqfA

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you use spheres you can't combine 8 cubes together to make more cube.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
compact into a cube!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
But you could put two together with a borg cylinder and make a borg dong.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
there should be an officially licensed electronic TNG bong shaped like the Enterprise D's warp core and when you pull from it, the core part lights up with pulsating blue LEDs accompanied by the appropriate sound FX from the show. The harder/longer you pull the faster the warp core goes boom boom boom boom until it finally makes the jump to warp speed sound

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
They should make a bong that is the glass accordion that guy plays in “We’ll Always Have Paris” that looks like he’s stroking off a couple bongs.

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'd settle for Chakotay's little pocket-sized hallucination machine. (I hope my animal guide would be self-aware that it's just Jamake Highwater cultural appropriation bullshit, and has accepted that and moved on.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So when I was a kid, my best Christmas, the one I remember most, was the Christmas of 1995, where my divorced parents had an amazing joint Christmas morning together and everything was perfect. I was a kid fan of Star Trek, and one of my best presents that year, the one I still have to this day, was a hardcover copy of the Star Trek encyclopedia.

And I read that thing to bits, learning about everything Star Trek that I could, reading the synopses of episodes I'd never seen, and loving every little detail. And the one episode that really stuck out to kid me as something I desperately wanted to see was "Genesis," as everyone had really cool makeup and the idea - with the crew of the Enterprise devolving into animals - was just such a cool story I thought.

28 years later, I just saw "Genesis" for the first time ever.

And it was everything I'd ever hoped it would be. Amazing makeup, fun weird character moments as people devolve, and a dark and tense plotline as devolved Worf chases Picard through the Enterprise at the climax. I goddamn love this franchise.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

And I thought I had a long wait to see the one ds9 episode I slept through in high school that I didn't catch until college.

It was the ezri sniper one.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

So when I was a kid, my best Christmas, the one I remember most, was the Christmas of 1995, where my divorced parents had an amazing joint Christmas morning together and everything was perfect. I was a kid fan of Star Trek, and one of my best presents that year, the one I still have to this day, was a hardcover copy of the Star Trek encyclopedia.

And I read that thing to bits, learning about everything Star Trek that I could, reading the synopses of episodes I'd never seen, and loving every little detail. And the one episode that really stuck out to kid me as something I desperately wanted to see was "Genesis," as everyone had really cool makeup and the idea - with the crew of the Enterprise devolving into animals - was just such a cool story I thought.

And it was everything I'd ever hoped it would be. Amazing makeup, fun weird character moments as people devolve, and a dark and tense plotline as devolved Worf chases Picard through the Enterprise at the climax. I goddamn love this franchise.

I love how they never show you Worf as a proto-Klingon in full view so you never really get a good look at him, making that one of the more menacing aliens in Star Trek imo.

I had two editions of the encyclopedia as a kid but nither were hardcovers. I did the same thing as a kid though when I got my first one, just pouring over all the little details -and I always loved the italicized blurbs about stuff from a production standpoint. I think my favourite entry was probably the one on the Picard Maneuver with the adorable little CG Stargazer being used to depict each stage in the sequence.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

I really enjoyed that one. And it was one that Gates McFadden directed. IMDB doesn't list her as director credit on TNG for some reason so I don't know if that was the only one she did or what.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently the original Icheb is kind of a chud now, so idk, maybe it's for the best?

He was on Twitter mocking Anthony Rapp for being abused by Kevin Spacey. So, yeah, he was never going to be invited back to the show.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Icheb was a terrible character anyway, like I know Voyager is popular but I can't imagine the level of Voyager-specific fandom necessary to give much of a drat about him or his fate

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong Thread

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gonz posted:

Edit: Wrong Thread

this is spacebat country

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaz-L posted:

He started following me on Twitter, so I thought "huh, weird, but I'll follow him back, why not?" All he did was hawk NFTs, so I quickly unfollowed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol icheb guy is lame

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Remember when Tores and Tom told Harry Kim they'd found a wormhole that could take them back to the Alpha Quadrant and he got his hopes up and then they shouted "You dope! wise up"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trixie Hardcore posted:

They should make a bong that is the glass accordion that guy plays in “We’ll Always Have Paris” that looks like he’s stroking off a couple bongs.

Clear cymbals - THE FUTURE!!

Some synth drum company needs to make this a reality.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Clear cymbals - THE FUTURE!!

Some synth drum company needs to make this a reality.

They already exist.

They're stupidly expensive and they suck, but they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

If you use spheres you can't combine 8 cubes together to make more cube.

Ah, a tactical cube. For attacking and assimilating stuff.