Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
That was a weird loving episode, especially the first half.

Plot movement:
-another 8ish games have passed?
-Zava is out, like totally out?
-Jamie is primed to step up?
-Ted is done with his bullshit?
-Nate has a chance to turn?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Scott Forstall posted:

That was a weird loving episode, especially the first half.

Plot movement:
-another 8ish games have passed?
-Zava is out, like totally out?
-Jamie is primed to step up?
-Ted is done with his bullshit?
-Nate has a chance to turn?

There are 38 EPL matches per team. You can't show them all in one season of TV.

It seems like this is the turning point (or classic climax story arc). Things were going well but everything has now fallen apart.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I enjoyed finally seeing some payoff with Nate and the waitress, too.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

pokeyman posted:

It's not important but the characterization of Keeley as clueless about any business ever keeps distracting me.

I was distracted by the hot ladies making out :grin:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Them not being able to win since West Ham is a little too much but it is a sitcom at heart I guess.
Shandy SUUUUUUUUUCKS but her being fired was hilarious.
Roy’s bully advice is very good.

I can’t believe they’re continuing with the psychic poo poo. Nightmarish. Honestly Rebecca’s arc is starting to feel pretty sexist. It’s all about how she’s sad because she doesn’t have a man and kids? What year is this?

Henry being the bully was wildly obvious.
They might be going back to this waitress well a bit too often but it ended nicely.
Cute girls do a kiss!!!!!!!!
The Zava thing felt a bit abrupt and weird but he was an abrupt and weird dude so sure.
Good ending speech, maybe a little too cute even for this show but I enjoyed it.

Overall kind of a middling episode!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
ok maybe not. This people are real excited to watch their team play man city after 8 straight losses

i like trent's rainbow mug though

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 12, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Not winning 8 times is not quite the same as 8 straight losses.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

It does align nicely for Jamie's heroic redemption arc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not winning 8 times is not quite the same as 8 straight losses.

ah I thought it was losses. either way 8 games without a win from near the top of the table is a hell of a hit to the fans

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It will be satisfying when Nate returns to richmond and saves them from relegation on the final game of the season, imo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ilmucche posted:

ah I thought it was losses. either way 8 games without a win from near the top of the table is a hell of a hit to the fans

Yeah, I guess that fall is necessary for them to have a serious danger of falling down in rank again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I guess that fall is necessary for them to have a serious danger of falling down in rank again.

I don't think they are going to rehash the relegation storyline tbh, that would be a narrative step backwards and a real bummer for the series to end on*

*(it seems like Apple is probably going to throw buckets of money at everyone to keep the show going, but at least Sudekis has been consistent that they are still intending to tell the original 3 season story arc as conceived so "fight their way out of relegation and then narrowly avoid it again" seems pretty anticlimactic)

Escobarbarian posted:

Them not being able to win since West Ham is a little too much but it is a sitcom at heart I guess.

Yeah, I get what they were going for narratively overall but this bit of it felt super contrived. Instead of a slow road to success with bumps along the way, the Zava conceit throws a wrinkle in that while simultaneously allowing them to rocket to success and provide a shortcut for them to be a legitimate contender with West Ham in their very first match against Nate. The way that all was handled and the second half gently caress-up was well written, the problem is after that I guess the idea is that the rest of the team is so badly shaken that despite having the talent and presumably the coaching and a transcendent super star player, they somehow still have an 8 game stale streak with no real attempt at course correction?

It would have felt more natural if the gently caress-up at West Ham is what triggered Zava leaving and those combined blows caused the team spiral. Or alternatively if they leaned more into the idea that relying entirely on Zava to the point of completely changing their gameplay is what hamstrung the rest of the team. As it stands, while narratively this is supposed to be the turning point, logically a team that lost its best player after 8 straight non-wins would be in such a dysfunctional state that it would be hard to imagine them completely turning around the season just on a nice speech (and like, were the speeches for the previous 8 games insufficient? I guess those didn't matter since they happened offscreen lol)

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the green matchbook and shite in nine-ing armor seem like such obvious misdirections and I have a theory on both but not sure how the writers will bring it together.

the green matchbook is a soccer playbook? They transitioned from Rebecca holding the Ola's matchbook to Nate holding a green playbook page in this episode.

the shite in nine-ing armor is Jamie, who wears number 9.

Could be wrong on both counts, but still, I wonder how it all comes together. Granted, Santa exists in the Ted Lasso universe, but I'd rather them not also pin Rebecca's major S3 plotline on a psychic.

e: ensemble cast and all, but I'm also wondering if they can possibly give satisfying resolution to all the threads.

Like, did Zava and Shandy just die on their way back to their home planets? Do they resurface for some reason? Do they need any 'redemption' or extra depth?

e2: the ADR on Ted's speech at the end bothered my video production brain a bit, but I also love the part at the end about 'the sign is just a sign'

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gently caress Rebecca’s “I need a baaaaaby” storyline. she doesn’t even have an emergency contact, and her egotistical need to pop out a homunculus rather than adopting a child is gross.

that said, good on her for dumping that guy at the beginning of the episode. split-scarf wearing dork, those should be reserved for one-off friendliest only.

is this the first time we’ve heard Ted curse?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah he’s cursed a few times before including “win the whole fuckin thing” at the end of s1

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Shandy's stupid arc was worth it for the scene where she gets fired.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Based on pre-existing formatt / characters from NBC SPORTS" lmao what the gently caress. Did it always say that?

Escobarbarian posted:

Henry being the bully was wildly obvious.

Yeah didn't they just do this in ... I want to say, Cobra Kai?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Data Graham posted:

"Based on pre-existing formatt / characters from NBC SPORTS" lmao what the gently caress. Did it always say that?

Yeah didn't they just do this in ... I want to say, Cobra Kai?

Yeah. The best show on TV is based on a decade old dumb commercial on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot about that. Lol

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Guy A. Person posted:

*(it seems like Apple is probably going to throw buckets of money at everyone to keep the show going, but at least Sudekis has been consistent that they are still intending to tell the original 3 season story arc as conceived so "fight their way out of relegation and then narrowly avoid it again" seems pretty anticlimactic)

Oh really? I was under the impression it was the final season this whole time

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think Ted Lasso is the one show where I’m actively rooting against its central conceit. That man needs to get back to his son.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the escape goat posted:

gently caress Rebecca’s “I need a baaaaaby” storyline. she doesn’t even have an emergency contact, and her egotistical need to pop out a homunculus rather than adopting a child is gross.

that said, good on her for dumping that guy at the beginning of the episode. split-scarf wearing dork, those should be reserved for one-off friendliest only.

is this the first time we’ve heard Ted curse?

It's payoff from stuff from the first season isn't it? She mentions she spent most of her marriage to Rupert trying to convince him to start a family but he always refused. It's not just a random 'a psychic said something now I have baby fever!' thing.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Zero One posted:

Yeah. The best show on TV is based on a decade old dumb commercial on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8

that’s my Spurs alright, always with the excellent coaching decisions :kimchi:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's payoff from stuff from the first season isn't it? She mentions she spent most of her marriage to Rupert trying to convince him to start a family but he always refused. It's not just a random 'a psychic said something now I have baby fever!' thing.

she’s wanted a kid the whole time I think? and the whole time I’ve been baffled about the insistence on having one vs adopting.
the part where she has a problem even coming up with who her emergency contact would be was pretty fuckin’ dark!

I can’t recall, did Zava say where his avocado farm is? my immediate thought upon hearing that was he’d be doing so in England and I cackled out loud. for some reason I’m now hoping the team gets an avocado gift basket from him for a completely random celebration.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

the escape goat posted:

she’s wanted a kid the whole time I think? and the whole time I’ve been baffled about the insistence on having one vs adopting.

She has implied she always wanted to have children as part of her marriage with Rupert.

Notably though this wasn't an issue for her within the show until Rupert used it as another weapon to hurt her - not wanting to have a child with Rebecca but happy to have one with Bex pretty much immediately after meeting her. This is made much worse by the visit to Tish who implies she'll have children, which she initially takes as the standard psychic bullshit - but then has the matchbook and shite in nining armour predictions confirmed which I suspect freaks her out about having children, Therefore she feels the need to go to a doctor and have it validated "am I still able to have children or not - as I assume she's butting-up to or has gone through the Menopause. Possibly to prove to herself that Tish's predictions are bullshit - "See I can't have children any more so your prediction is poo poo!". But when she gets the results it's clearly confirmation she can't or it would be very hard and that makes her feel very sad in that moment as final confirmation of what Rupert took away from her.

I think she hasn't considered (yet) adoption or just the idea of having someone else's kids in her life, and I suspect that's the real meaning behind the prediction.

quote:

the part where she has a problem even coming up with who her emergency contact would be was pretty fuckin’ dark!

I dunno think that resonates with someone who cut off their old relationships while in a toxic marriage. It might well be that she'd actually put Sassy, or even Ted. However I don't think we're meant to interpret that as that she can't think of anyone more that she'd prefer that to be someone she was in a relationship with rather than best friend / Mother / Work Friend etc.

Kafila fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 13, 2023

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

the escape goat posted:

I can’t recall, did Zava say where his avocado farm is? my immediate thought upon hearing that was he’d be doing so in England and I cackled out loud. for some reason I’m now hoping the team gets an avocado gift basket from him for a completely random celebration.

Zavacados

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The next time there is a scene at Sam's restaurant, they will be prominently in the menu. Also, Nate's falafel place will also stock them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was weird that despite everything being self-consciously UK centric, the writers keep putting American vocabulary in the British people's mouths, like "line out the door" and "afraid of elevators"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I posted last week about how much I've enjoyed Nate's trajectory, and it's because it mirrors so much of what happened to me in my 20s; I got some minor success in my field and the praise went straight to my head, leading me to associate with some incredibly toxic people which compelled me to act in ways that were counter to my innate nature. When that whole shitshow inevitably went south, I had to build myself back up by succeeding whilst being myself, which allowed me to form a much more productive network.

I loved Nate at the Greek restaurant; he's learning that the kind of people he always wanted to associate with due to being blinded by their power and influence are not actually the kind of people he wants to associate with given the chance, and that he simply doesn't have it in him to be the kind of person who will be fully accepted into their circle. He's become fully confident in his abilities as a manager, which is well-deserved, but now he's learning that he will get respect, friendship and admiration by being unashamedly himself rather than being what he believes people want him to be. Jade having a platonic dinner with him felt completely natural and a logical step in his journey.

I also loved Ted coaching his way out of a panic attack, the seeds being set for Jamie leading the team out of a crisis and Keeley actually following through with firing Shandy without hesitation.

As someone in a voluntarily childfree marriage, I had a similar reaction to others to Rebecca's storyline - can she not just be a boss bitch who is awesome if flawed, without worrying about her bio clock like some sitcom character - but I greatly appreciated Kafila's explanation that this is aftereffects of her toxic marriage.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Data Graham posted:

I thought it was weird that despite everything being self-consciously UK centric, the writers keep putting American vocabulary in the British people's mouths, like "line out the door" and "afraid of elevators"

Those aren't uncommon phrases here, British English is a mutt language and we get a lot of US TV.

We also tend to use Americanisms when talking to Americans because we don't want to openly confuse the poor dears.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the UK league have the same rules as American leagues when it comes to retirement? Basically retiring for a month and then coming back allows you sign a brand new contract with another team?

Figure they wouldn't have a bit about the team getting so insulted they play sloppy this early on the season without a chance to get them so insulted that they play incredibly next time they play West Ham.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

This episode (and S3 in general) seems to be getting a ton of backlash on the subreddit. I know I shouldn't really care what Redditors think but it still felt worth noting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a fine show but most of the storylines aren't really working for me. The Nathan one is the only one that really feels congruous and compelling, all the Shandy stuff and the horrible psychic stuff and Zava and Ted's relationship stuff is just, not really doing it for me. I still enjoy watching it, though.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Shandy was entirely grating to me and I'm glad that arc seems done.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Something has felt off to me about this season but I can't really figure out what it is, maybe because of how quickly they've just been jumping into/out of stories? I don't know how to explain it but my first thought after some scenes in episode 1 were as if they were written by a fan who's favorite show ended a couple years ago and they decided to bring everyone back in new roles. I'm certainly enjoying the season and have been looking forward to every new episode, though.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Wee Bairns posted:

Shandy was entirely grating to me and I'm glad that arc seems done.

hard agree but that tantrum was top-notch and we got a cute lil’ buddy in the conference room :kimchi:
(I can’t smell through the TV and in a pleasant change of pace my herding dog didn’t launch himself at the screen upon seeing livestock so it was even better)

:vince:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There's a few issues for me:

Most of the characters basically don't exist anymore in terms of having meaningful stories or characters. We used to get bits of Roy, Beard, Leslie, some of the players, etc. but all that has been thrown out in favor of stories focused on just Ted, Rebecca, Keeley, and Nate. Even the small bone they threw in about Colin basically went nowhere (yet?). I guess Jamie might have a bigger part in the future? Maybe?

Of these 4 "main" characters, 3 of their storylines are just kind of mediocre. No one cares about Rebecca's baby mama problems, Keeley is doing business largely tangential to the team and doesn't even show up to games anymore apparently, and Ted's continual rehashing of the same issues about his anxiety and losing his family feel a bit played out when there are other issues he also has to deal with that haven't been done already.

The Zava stuff was fun but seemed to really go nowhere since his appearance on the team didn't really change anything for anyone besides Jamie. One would have expected the dynamics of the team itself to go through a big change but no one really seemed all that affected.

Did Ted feel he didn't have a voice as a coach due to Zava's domineering attitude? No, he seemed fine since they kept winning and we didn't really see anything about him while they were losing since the show just skipped past that and focused on his anxiety about his family instead.
Did Beard + Roy run into issues making the team work due to Zava, such as figuring out lineups, strategies, and tactics? No, they just give him the ball and he does all the work.
Did Rebecca + Keeley + Leslie run into issues managing a wildcard force of nature who does and says controversial things? Nope! Shandy! Jack! Babies!
Did Colin getting benched affect him in ways that caused him to do... something? Anything? No, we get several minutes of focus on him which is about him being gay which has nothing to do with Zava!

The show seems like it's veered off from being about the actual team itself and focusing instead on the major characters when the show used to be way more of an ensemble cast of people involved in a soccer team. Remember when Rebecca and Keeley used to actually talk to the players on the team?

koolkal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 13, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that's a good point. This is an exaggeration but it kinda feels like the guys on the team have all devolved into a wisecracking peanut gallery who all just occasionally pop up to give us a one-liner and then disappear.

Trying to remember what Simpsons episode it was where all the bit characters just paraded by the window to deliver their catchphrases: "Excellent!" "Ha-ha!" "Okily dokily!" etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Keeley/jack stuff hits real weird for me. Keeley and Roy seemed like they didn't really want to call it quits, and fair play for moving on but it's gone to the strange place of hooking up with the person who's financed the company. Not a fan of the weird power dynamics there.