Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

That would actually own.

Between 3 tribes and 60 minutes I feel like I don’t know anyone at all, especially the women. Carolyn is the only one I can name. Why is that Jeff.

It certainly didn't help that the first four people who were voted out were all women.

e:

oh my god how can you not find any time at all for Lauren in three straight episodes :psyduck:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Three tribes, eight castaways each. Only one tribe wins immunity for the first four episodes, all 90 mins. Back to 39 days. Like 80% fewer advantages. Show saved

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

IcePhoenix posted:

It certainly didn't help that the first four people who were voted out were all women.

e:

oh my god how can you not find any time at all for Lauren in three straight episodes :psyduck:

drat I gotta get Kane and Frankie off my team stat

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Does that mean Real Love Boat isn't coming back??😱😱😱?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Studio posted:

Does that mean Real Love Boat isn't coming back??😱😱😱?

It's going to be uncensored, and exclusively available on Paramount Plus Plus.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/Ryan__Kaiser/st...ter-tweets-2023

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This season feels the most like they had an idea of what they wanted in their minds when they were scripting twists and such.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

She can fix me.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Before the merge I don't think I even knew Heidi was playing this season. My wife and I looked at each other like "who the heck is that?"

Also 90 minute episodes are fine as long as they post them to Paramount+ before they finish airing. We always have to watch the finale the next night because it doesn't show up on the app until ~30 minutes after the broadcast finishes.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Yeah I just pretend it airs Thursday and ignore this thread Wednesday

Tho I do spoil myself looking at the fantasy league sometimes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Part of why I got sucked into Survivor was because the spectacle of live viewing and posting and reacting. Their idiotic streaming decisions with paramount and CBSallaccess just killed that off forever it seems. Often for me anyway is I wait for Thursday, then a bunch of other stuff comes out or it's Thursday so busy and push it back and back until I do a cursory watch before next new episode since I already know who loses and what everyone likes or disliked about the ep anyway.

Longer eps might be cool, depends on what they use the time for. I think it doesn't bear repeating what old fans are wanting from it, just a matter of if Jeff ever has those ideas himself to get enthusiastic about, need someone to trick him into watching the old seasons and wanting to try and do all that again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Survivor does seem to have lost that live viewing aspect. I used to excitedly watch it and then watch RHAP after. Now it’s just a show I get to when I get to and don’t think much about before or after. 🤷‍♂️

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I also enjoyed liveposting but I don't have a reliable way to watch live since I cut cable after youtubetv stopped carrying RSNs but still raised prices, and also I watch AEW on wednesday nights anyway, so Survivor is just a "watch Thursday mornings while I work" thing for me too. Sometimes if it's super busy I don't get to it until the weekend though.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Funny enough I have pretty much watching Survivor on demand the day of or day after for like ~25 seasons, but this season I started watching live because I got some friends into the show and it's just easier/more fun to talk about it with our live reactions than trying to discuss it a day or two later.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Survivor does seem to have lost that live viewing aspect. I used to excitedly watch it and then watch RHAP after. Now it’s just a show I get to when I get to and don’t think much about before or after. 🤷‍♂️

The bit of the live aspect I miss most is when the show would instruct us to use #SurvivorBreakdown.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

paramount+ doesnt let me watch the east coast feed :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Paramount+ literally wouldn't let me upgrade my plan to the version that includes live TV. Truly incompetent company. I can understand the lovely streaming website stuff. Most folks are on TVs and if folks are complaining about the website then you probably already have their money, so gently caress em. Sucks, but what doesn't.

It's just bizarre they won't actually fix their website to let you upgrade your plan to actually give them more money. Even got on chat support and whoever they outsource to couldn't help get to upgrade page either, so I gave up.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I watch the West Coast airing live along with a few other friends on discord now

but it's with my parents still having cable for some reason

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

I also enjoyed liveposting but I don't have a reliable way to watch live since I cut cable after youtubetv stopped carrying RSNs but still raised prices, and also I watch AEW on wednesday nights anyway, so Survivor is just a "watch Thursday mornings while I work" thing for me too. Sometimes if it's super busy I don't get to it until the weekend though.
Historically I've often watched live for free over the air with whatever lovely little $15 antenna i have, it's HD. it's good for catching some big sports events too

If you're not east coast though of course your "live" is different. not sure I'll watch live again this season until the finale though

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Historically I've often watched live for free over the air with whatever lovely little $15 antenna i have, it's HD. it's good for catching some big sports events too

If you're not east coast though of course your "live" is different. not sure I'll watch live again this season until the finale though

Unfortunately I live in a large steel framed apartment building surrounded by other large steel framed apartment buildings, so most channels are blocked even on the strongest digital antennas. I can get this channel that only plays reruns of Xena Warrior Princess and Star Trek Voyager, but I can't get CBS or ABC.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Get back to me when these can record live tv because it doesn't solve the problem of "there is something else I would rather watch live that airs at the same time"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Watching live TV is such a waste of time. The reason nobody comments anymore isn't just a problem with Survivor, far less people are actually watching TV shows as they air. Don't need to see 18 minutes of commercials if you stream it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're trying to weasel ads into streaming as much as they can. Besides who is watching the commercials that is when you post

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

doubly immune....

e: jeff please let them play survivor

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Really questionable play there on Frannie’s part. Really surprised she wouldn’t throw once she secured immunity, then both she and Matt would have been safe. Maybe she felt that was a clean way to cut him, because their target was never going to get any smaller?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You can't even give me an enjoyable Green Matt exit? This is the worst loving season

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

god enough with the fuckin twists and advantages already jeff

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

god enough with the fuckin twists and advantages already jeff

Seriously, this is awful beyond anything we have seen yet for advantage silliness. Just give them all a random number generator and let's see what happens, why not

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Okay but who else thinks Heidi totally misplayed that advantage?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't think it really matters. The advantage is stupid as gently caress. I think it's time to fire Jeff Probst. He is actively ruining the show. He gets high on his own poo poo, and he doesn't even know what makes the show good anymore.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Way too much going on. I dont know who thought the michelle yi twist was a good one to bring back but it was not a good one.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Unless, she wanted Matt out absolutely misplayed.

Taking a majority vote and voting for Yam Yam or Matt forces Matt and Yam Yam to vote for each other and the 2 other members of the majority control the vote. So the only reason to do that would be to imply Matt has friends and cause them to oust Matt to reduce their numbers.

Presumably, they didn’t want to have the majority vote against themselves because the extra vote could tie it, but then even if you don’t get control of the revote you still flush the extra vote.

If you were fine with either Matt or Yam Yam going; I think best play is not to play it, don’t potentially burn any bridges.

garthoneeye fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 13, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's definitely an advantage with no real upside for the person playing it. With the 3 Ratu members and Lauren's extra vote, Heidi's advantage really didn't have much power, so all it would serve is a way to upset someone.

Really stupid season so far with constantly loving with the voting, the core mechanic to the game.

garthoneeye posted:

If you were fine with either Matt or Yam Yam going; I think best play is not to play it, don’t potentially burn any bridges.

Curious if that was actually an option. The actual note said the advantage must be played when Jeff says it's time to vote...

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 13, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

She was sunk no matter what.

If she gets Ratu to vote out Yam, then she pisses off Carolyn and Carson. If it fails, she pisses all three of them off.

If she puts the vote on Lauren or Jaime and it works to get one of them out, then she pisses off Brandon and whichever of Lauren/Jaime is left. If it fails, she pisses all three of them off.

If she lets Matt go, she pisses off Frannie.

Between that and the 'oooh beware' advantages and the 'it's an idol!... or is it?', sounds like there's no point in trying to hunt for things anymore.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

They try so hard to have the post-merge not be a Pagonging and the only way they can think to do that is to gently caress with the votes, since you can't stop easy and safe Pagongings without doing so. The players will prefer safe moves if they have the ability to guide their own game, that's why Josh got booted despite their best attempts to hem and haw and misdirect us about that.

Go back and watch when Jeff tells them it's gonna be two teams with two tribals, someone (Danny or Matt?) is audibly upset and they try to spin it like he's blown away and could not possibly have seen this coming.

Except they all see it coming every time because they've all watched 41 & 42; so much so that Matt does his take on Ricard's Papaya Memes because he knows walking into tribal he's turbofucked.

The New Era is boring and stale as hell and everyone is just preemptively auditioning for what's probably going to be a New-Era-Returnee season sooner rather than later.

Presumably you get paid more just to show up when you're a returning recruit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I will say that S42 is a good season in spite of New Era twists. Hourglass and Do or Die were bad but in spite of that the cast was great, editing was even and there was good gameplay.

The rest of the new era seasons though, they can't even edit them to make up for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will say I’m also really bored of endurance challenges.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I think I realized I'm hate watching Survivor now. These dual twists might actually be worse than the hourglass merge too, at least that one gave agency to all the people it lied to.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

100%

and if fran wanted to keep matt safe she should have thrown the immunity challenge to brandon once she clinched it on her side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Teek posted:

Really questionable play there on Frannie’s part. Really surprised she wouldn’t throw once she secured immunity, then both she and Matt would have been safe. Maybe she felt that was a clean way to cut him, because their target was never going to get any smaller?
Yeah she screwed up big time. You'd think given that they're basically in love that, once she was immune, he would be her very first thought and not the safety of, like, Carson and Heidi or whoever was on her side of the arbitrary split. I guess just the drive to win the challenge outweighed everything, but you gotta be smarter than that.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's definitely an advantage with no real upside for the person playing it. With the 3 Ratu members and Lauren's extra vote, Heidi's advantage really didn't have much power, so all it would serve is a way to upset someone.

Really stupid season so far with constantly loving with the voting, the core mechanic to the game.
I'm curious if they had stolen Brandon's vote and put it on Lauren or Jaime, whether that would have pushed Matt and Yam Yam to then vote together. It at least would've made TC live right? Guess we'll never know though.

Put Brandon's vote on Jaime and maybe Lauren doesn't play her extra vote and lets Jaime go 3-2, put it on Lauren and Lauren def plays her extra vote to tie it 3-3, but she loses her 2 votes in the revote, right? So in a revote it would be 2-1.

Heidi and crew were sitting there with no TC and this was the only thing they had to figure out all day. Not sure how they came up with what they did. Scared of upsetting Brandon and Lauren? But stealing Lauren's vote upsets them anyway right? I am assuming the controlled vote carries into a revote.

mp5 posted:

They try so hard to have the post-merge not be a Pagonging and the only way they can think to do that is to gently caress with the votes, since you can't stop easy and safe Pagongings without doing so. The players will prefer safe moves if they have the ability to guide their own game, that's why Josh got booted despite their best attempts to hem and haw and misdirect us about that.
Players don't even pagong anymore really! When is the last really bad one?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 13, 2023