Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Here's one :greencube: The issue I was having with Outer Wilds where the "launching" icon wouldn't leave the screen and I could hear the game music but couldn't actually do anything, it turns out, was not specific to Outer Wilds. It happened on every game. I did a hard reset (hold down the power button until the Deck turns off) and that solved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

loquacius posted:

worked great, was the first big game I played on Deck. No issues whatsoever

Thanks

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RandolphCarter posted:

How’s death stranding on the deck? It’s part of humble’s choice along with rollerdrome and $12 bucks for those two is a great deal.

Fantastic. I'm about .25 to .33 through and I've had a couple crashes and slowdowns but overall it's just great. Such a great deck game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

Here's one :greencube: The issue I was having with Outer Wilds where the "launching" icon wouldn't leave the screen and I could hear the game music but couldn't actually do anything, it turns out, was not specific to Outer Wilds. It happened on every game. I did a hard reset (hold down the power button until the Deck turns off) and that solved it.

This has happened to me too, with the same fix

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That happened to me in Outer Wilds but I think it was because I accidentally canceled out of the DLC informational message (instead of confirming it) because I was trying to make the on-screen keyboard go away after it prompted me for a profile.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

i

is marcussa, gutcruncher, gozi in here? i think one of you volunteered to copypaste my op in your reply, could i take you up on that offer please? makes more room for me to add

Yeah just let me know what you need me to put in there and I’ll edit my post.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I don't know if this is a greencube, but I thought it was interesting that Blizz Launcher had a real messed up resolution and you couldn't see all the buttons. The fix was to go into desktop mode, load it, make it full screen there, then go back to gaming mode.

Seems a good thing to keep in mind if something is wonky in game mode.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah just let me know what you need me to put in there and I’ll edit my post.

i'll regret this later but just copy paste the entire thing in sic if it fits

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Athanatos posted:

I don't know if this is a greencube, but I thought it was interesting that Blizz Launcher had a real messed up resolution and you couldn't see all the buttons. The fix was to go into desktop mode, load it, make it full screen there, then go back to gaming mode.

Seems a good thing to keep in mind if something is wonky in game mode.

:greencube:

a related minor technical note is that if your mouse won't move to the bottom/right 30% of the screen, it's because the app attempted to open at a resolution higher than the deck's. so err on the side of lower resolutions in launchers when compromising if something acts weird with the monitor's odd ratio etc. if you have to bump it from lower to higher it will work fine. (In the case of slay the spire, which is better than vampire survivors and metal gear solid, the fix is to delete a file called displayconfig.info.)

Kheldarn posted:

Right click Slay the Spire in your Steam Library. Check Properties. Under the "General" tab, there's "Launch Options". Make sure it's set to "Ask when starting game" or "Play with Mods". If it's set to "Play Slay the Spire" it will auto run the game normally.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 15, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

Ok I’ll have to do it on a computer tomorrow morning because the app isn’t so friendly for that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hades is, and I’m not being cute, god tier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t like it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn’t like it.

I liked it okay, but not enough to replay it over and over again on increasing heat levels

That's right,i quit after defeating Hades like,twice

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I liked it okay, but not enough to replay it over and over again on increasing heat levels

That's right,i quit after defeating Hades like,twice

I gave the game a little more time than that, but yeah, it was just okay.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

Go to edit the OP, copy+paste the text with bbcode formatting to a pastebin. PM MarcusSA the link (or Discord, or here, w/e).

MarcusSA can then edit their post and copy+paste that in.

Afterwards I can do the same for you and the beginner's guide. But now I want to update it again with Decky Loader and maternity pillows.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 13, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serephina posted:

That old nugget of "If proton doesn't launch, it's a permissions issue" has another anecdotal support, if anyone else runs into it.

In my job as an extremely mediocre programmer, I find that confusing problems are often due to one of two things:

- Permissions issues
- Paths not being set (or correctly set)

After many years I finally have a decent enough grasp of this stuff that I usually quickly identify the source of problems like this. I imagine this is less of an issue for actual good programmers, but even after all this time this stuff never became entirely intuitive to me and is frequently a huge pain in the rear end. I'm envious of people who actually enjoy this stuff.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I gave the game a little more time than that, but yeah, it was just okay.

Listen,it took me a lot of tries to kill Hades twice.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn’t like it.

Hades was the final realisation for me that I just don't like roguelikes and should stop trying to force myself to enjoy them.

Following on from Elden Ring proving the same for me last year about open world games.

I couldn't even give you a critique of Hades or Elden Ring. I totally get why they're celebrated and I don't really dislike anything about them, other than that they're structured along a framework I'm absolutely sick of and never want to play ever again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bumhead posted:

Hades was the final realisation for me that I just don't like roguelikes and should stop trying to force myself to enjoy them.

Following on from Elden Ring proving the same for me last year about open world games.

I couldn't even give you a critique of Hades or Elden Ring. I totally get why they're celebrated and I don't really dislike anything about them, other than that they're structured along a framework I'm absolutely sick of and never want to play ever again.

The thing is, I actually really enjoy roguelikes, but I couldn't get into Hades at all. Now, if you also don't like games like Dead Cells or Skul the Hero Slayer (or more traditional roguelikes ala Nethack or TOEM, etc., etc.), then yeah the genre probably isn't for you. Hades just isn't a very good barometer.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Suddenly can’t sign in to my SteamDeck.

It starts up at the Sign in page. Once I add my account and password it asks me to approve it on my phone, then it just goes back to the Sign in screen.

Been 15 minutes of this and I’m ready to give up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bumhead posted:

I’m in the same boat. I get why people love hades, and I get why it’s best in its class. I just kind of find that class boring, I guess.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m in the same boat. I get why people love hades, and I get why it’s best in its class. I just kind of find that class boring, I guess.

For me, the things that were good about Hades were the parts that aren't really tied to it being a roguelike. The art, music, writing, and so on. The actual mechanics, the part where Hades actually is a roguelike, felt serviceable at best, which is why it struggled to hook me so much, and why I only really played through it enough to roll credits, maybe a few extra wins past that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I don't enjoy top-down action games, so I wound up playing through (and loving) Bastion + Hades for everything else. They're just incredibly well-made experiences with amazing art. Transistor is actually my favorite Supergiant project because it has all the good stuff and can be played more like a turn-based game.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

On the topic of electromagnetic joysticks last page, is that a worth while upgrade? I'm not new to electronic device repair and soldering but I am lazy and wonder if it is worth the trouble?

The first results on Google led me to https://www.gulikit.com/ which mention that the Deck uses one of two versions of the sticks and they don't make the newer model replacement yet. I haven't boot my new Deck up yet to see which version it has but this might be a moot point until they come out with the new version replacement.

The soldering pad there for the capacitive tip is a very generous size and would be quite easy for anyone to solder that wire to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am so exhausted with souls games. It's no longer a hack and slash, it's a thinking hack and slash, if I wanted to think I'd play an srpg :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elden ring ftw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What a bold, courageous stance. I wish more people would come out and say it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m just glad that these genres have such hard edges so they’re easy to avoid!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

King of Solomon posted:

The thing is, I actually really enjoy roguelikes, but I couldn't get into Hades at all. Now, if you also don't like games like Dead Cells or Skul the Hero Slayer (or more traditional roguelikes ala Nethack or TOEM, etc., etc.), then yeah the genre probably isn't for you. Hades just isn't a very good barometer.

Dead Cells is actually towards the top end of my appreciation for roguelikes.

By which I mean I played it for roughly 6 hours, thought "I guess this is OK..?" then never played or thought about it again.

It's a popular genre that has a lot of talented folks working within it, so it's a genre I keep butting my head against - particularly when something as well liked (and as you say, otherwise so well built) as Hades comes along, from a team as obviously talented as Supergiant.

I actually find it quite liberating to get these occasional reminders that it's OK to stay in your lane from time to time. To get something as accomplished as Hades and to be able to hold your hands up and say "nah, I'm good".

As I say, Elden Ring was a similarly liberating experience for me. I've spent years feeling done with open world games but continuing to play all the big ones and not get why I wasn't into them. If Miyazaki can't get me to like an open world game in 2023, then I'm OK with sitting the genre aside for good. I'd rather play Sekiro than Elden Ring and that's a game that's actively hostile to Souls players like me and how I interact with those games.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I pushed myself to finish Elden Ring and all it did was confirm that yes, I really don’t enjoy Soulsbournes at all, and now I never have to buy another one to check if this time will be the time it clicks and it’ll be the best game I ever played like people keep insisting will happen.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bumhead posted:

Dead Cells is actually towards the top end of my appreciation for roguelikes.

By which I mean I played it for roughly 6 hours, thought "I guess this is OK..?" then never played or thought about it again.

It's a popular genre that has a lot of talented folks working within it, so it's a genre I keep butting my head against - particularly when something as well liked (and as you say, otherwise so well built) as Hades comes along, from a team as obviously talented as Supergiant.

I actually find it quite liberating to get these occasional reminders that it's OK to stay in your lane from time to time. To get something as accomplished as Hades and to be able to hold your hands up and say "nah, I'm good".

As I say, Elden Ring was a similarly liberating experience for me. I've spent years feeling done with open world games but continuing to play all the big ones and not get why I wasn't into them. If Miyazaki can't get me to like an open world game in 2023, then I'm OK with sitting the genre aside for good. I'd rather play Sekiro than Elden Ring and that's a game that's actively hostile to Souls players like me and how I interact with those games.

Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from, and basically agree with everything you're saying here. I actually have a lot of issues with Elden Ring too, and most of them center specifically around the part where it's an open world game.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Shadow Complex Remastered is amazing and plays so well years later. I remember when I bought it using Xbox Live Arcade points that you had to buy in blocks to use on their store.

Wanted to buy it as soon as I got my Deck but it wasn't showing as available. Bought a Steam key from Kinguin I think, and was pleased that it ran so well.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Don't worry about not digging Elden Ring. There are dozens of us!

I really, really wanted to love it as I was extremely into DS1-3 + Sekiro but I just hated nearly all of dungeons and disliked the majority of the boss fights as well as the sheer size of it all.

I can imagine people who had never played a souls game going bananas for this but after the nearly perfectly tuned Sekiro, I just found ER merely good, not great.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

frytechnician posted:

Don't worry about not digging Elden Ring. There are dozens of us!

I really, really wanted to love it as I was extremely into DS1-3 + Sekiro but I just hated nearly all of dungeons and disliked the majority of the boss fights as well as the sheer size of it all.

I can imagine people who had never played a souls game going bananas for this but after the nearly perfectly tuned Sekiro, I just found ER merely good, not great.

Good thing that Sekiro is a deeply flawed game. Everything to do with Ninja tools, and any consumable sucked rear end. Especially divine confetti

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wrong

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What's the maternity pillow that's suggested for the deck? Is it this?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Good thing that Sekiro is a deeply flawed game. Everything to do with Ninja tools, and any consumable sucked rear end. Especially divine confetti

While I agree that the ninja tools using a consumable resource sucked rear end, I felt that everything else was really tight in Sekiro. I ultimately didn't enjoy the systems, but they were undeniably really well designed (again, aside from the consumable resource).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

23 Skidoo posted:

Shadow Complex Remastered is amazing and plays so well years later. I remember when I bought it using Xbox Live Arcade points that you had to buy in blocks to use on their store.

Wanted to buy it as soon as I got my Deck but it wasn't showing as available. Bought a Steam key from Kinguin I think, and was pleased that it ran so well.
Amusing. It was also among one of the first games I wanted to buy since I got my Deck last summer since it wasn't ever ported to the Switch. It was always available, but Epic stopped putting it on sale on Steam because of course they did. Then they started delisting stuff and worried that they might pull that bullshit here I finally bought it for the full $15 at the end of March. I just couldn't come to buy it from a keysite, but they were still like $8 for a Steam key so not that much of a savings.

Did they actually delist it since?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did they actually delist it since?

There was no price on it, but it's still showing up in searches. The only reason I bought the key is that I couldn't seem to buy it via Steam *shrugs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wow you all weren’t kidding about Dredge. What an excellent game! I thought the fishing minigame would get old but then I went to Gale Cliffs and they're all different and that's great.

My Deckmate “universal mount bundle” arrived! I gambled on the sticky part being low-profile enough to attach to this arm I want to use.

This may be a green cube :greencube: thing, OP, since it kind of pertains to accessibility.

I have a couple of spinal injuries that cause me issues. The last few months my neck has been pretty unmanageable. So I have this tablet floor stand from Amazon. This lets me do my job (teaching remotely) and recreation (watching Star Trek with my partner) while laying flat on my back without moving my neck. I love it.

I also bought the SD because sitting upright to play games is not tenable and in my loving around with map games with various remote play options,* I've decided that it's not quite good enough yet, let alone if I'm at my parents' or something. I love reclining with the SD on a pillow on my chest, which is also how my partner plays games in bed with it. However, on bad days this doesn't cut it and I need to just lay flat.

So why not just hook the SD up to the floor stand?

Enter the Deckmate mounts:

Perfect, except I still need this to work with my ipad.

drat. It's like, maybe 1-2mm too thick.

I thought about putting the other side of the mount on a magnetic ipad case but my partner doesn't trust it (and it would be just our luck for an ipad to fall on my face, chip a tooth and then I get covid at the loving dentist) so I bought another arm. So now there'll be an SD arm and iPad arm.

The arms just drop into the floor stand so it's easy to switch them out, and the 1/2" piece on the bottom is standard so it also works with all sorts of desk clamps, like this.

*These streaming options all seem to be optimized for shooty and slashy games. Witcher 3 is fantastic in Steam Remote Play and Parsec but map games like CK3 or Humankind have all kinds of gross artifacts and issues with resolution changes and so on. The best for map games seems to be the productivity-focused clients like Jump Desktop, Microsoft RDP, TeamViewer, etc but they still struggle. The deck with a little KB and mouse or just the trackpads works great, comparatively.

Anyway this process has involved a lot of fruitless searching (the Deckmate rec was key, so thanks!) but I think this solution will work and I'll update when the new arm comes and I hope this helps anyone else with back problems or even just people flirting with the edges of comfortable gaming.