Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Got a job offer with a biotech's IT dept today that's pretty sweet. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

tehinternet posted:

You might not have gone deep enough then. No offense meant there — FreshService is 100% a robust ticketing system with a whole mess of automation options (phone posting or I’d link you their “workflow automators” documentation). It’s GUI based and allows you to do a shitload of stuff; I generally use it to trigger downstream Power Automate flows but use it for simple stuff like ticket assignments and the like. They have a great API with stellar documentation — I cut my teeth on REST API using their documentation, 15 APIs later and it’s still the best documentation I’ve seen. Smartsheet comes close.

You can create request templates with request specific automation. You can create break/fix ticket templates (incidents). You can create problem tickets so you can group incidents together (we use it for outages primarily). There’s change management/ITIL poo poo there too. Asset management is there as a nice bonus (techs can associate an asset with a ticket which can be useful for troubleshooting), but it’s far from the star feature. You can set KPIs if that’s your thing or customer service surveys if that’s your thing.

I’ll stan for FreshService all day since it’s literally allowed me to automate the majority of the boring poo poo that my team handles (going by tags assigned to those automated tickets, I’m going on 5,000 tickets my team hasn’t had to handle in the past year). They’re constantly adding new poo poo and improving poo poo too.

My only complaint is that their technical support is hit and miss, but that’s common with most of the vendors we deal with.

But yeah man, you do you, if it’s not for you, it’s not for you — I just wanted you to know that it’s a super solid IT ticketing system and probably my favorite program that my team handles.

I appreciate the insight! I'm not gonna be the one making these decisions anyways, I'm just scouting potential options at the request of my boss. He gave me a list of things to look for and set up demos/etc. That definitely sounds up his alley. Thanks

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats and PM me if you can grow me a few organs for a side project, I'd like better eyes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yay

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I used happyfox at an old job, it was “fine”.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats! What does the job entail?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! What does the job entail?

Thanks! It's an entry level support role, so desktop support/help desk stuff for the most part. Pays pretty solid for entry level too, so I'm happy.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Okay you all were right and FreshService kicks rear end. I signed up for a free trial to poke around and it has TICKET SCHEDULING? And parent-child ticket function by default?? I am in love

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Instead of sending us a single reoccurring invite, my vp has been sending individual invite emails to every town hall for the rest of the year all morning and every time my phone dings I get slightly more irritated.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

KillHour posted:

Instead of sending us a single reoccurring invite, my vp has been sending individual invite emails to every town hall for the rest of the year all morning and every time my phone dings I get slightly more irritated.

:lol:

That's amazing I love it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

How about weekly standups with random dates(which might or might not include national holidays or corporate shutdowns) and a 50/50 chance of an appointment rather than a teams meeting?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Congrats and PM me if you can grow me a few organs for a side project, I'd like better eyes

Oh, hi, an opportunity to evangelize LASIK, the single best large expenditure I ever made. I went from 150/20 vision to 20/15 vision in two visits and some mild discomfort for the price of $3500 smackers, the most of which was pre-tax income because I could leverage an FSA for it.

It's great, you should do it. It smells like burning hair when they do the procedure though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same smell as when I got my balls cut.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Warmachine posted:

Oh, hi, an opportunity to evangelize LASIK, the single best large expenditure I ever made. I went from 150/20 vision to 20/15 vision in two visits and some mild discomfort for the price of $3500 smackers, the most of which was pre-tax income because I could leverage an FSA for it.

It's great, you should do it. It smells like burning hair when they do the procedure though.

I couldn't go through with lasik but they poke your eyes

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

johnny park posted:

Okay you all were right and FreshService kicks rear end. I signed up for a free trial to poke around and it has TICKET SCHEDULING? And parent-child ticket function by default?? I am in love

Hell yeah

The only things I’ve been disappointed with have been super nitpicky and what I like far outweighs any issues.

Check out the apps too, there are solid Teams, Slack, AD, Azure AD and a shitload more apps that integrate pretty well.

Don’t forget the workflow automators either, they own and are super easy to use.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wargames posted:

I couldn't go through with lasik but they poke your eyes

They do, which is the reason I never went to contacts--the idea of something touching my eyeballs wigs me right out. The actual rig for the procedure has some serious horror vibes to it.

But I was able to suspend that discomfort on the promise of a one-and-done solution. If I remember there's an option for tranquilizers to be used if you need them. It's absolutely life changing as someone who was wearing glasses for most of his life.

Given our profession of staring at glowing screens constantly, taking care of your eyes and improving them is well worth it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My eyesight is reasonably poor but I am used to wearing glasses at this point and have grown to like not being able to see things clearly when I am trying to get to sleep. I'd have the lasers shot into my eyes before I'd spend monthly on contact lenses though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Service Now is pretty good as a platform imo but I've found that it can really chug at times, especially if you integrate something like 3CLogic. It also doesn't hand attachments from a parent record down to the child that the case is primarily opened for which some might see as a feature but I find it unnecessary.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Warmachine posted:

They do, which is the reason I never went to contacts--the idea of something touching my eyeballs wigs me right out. The actual rig for the procedure has some serious horror vibes to it.

But I was able to suspend that discomfort on the promise of a one-and-done solution. If I remember there's an option for tranquilizers to be used if you need them. It's absolutely life changing as someone who was wearing glasses for most of his life.

Given our profession of staring at glowing screens constantly, taking care of your eyes and improving them is well worth it.

they did the pressure tester poke the eye thing and HARD NOPE! I don't mind glasses, but can't do contacts or eye pokes, plus i have reallllllly good night vision and lasik has the possibility of reducing that, and also nope.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I was onboard for lasik til I heard what it does to night vision, no thanks

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've thought about it a few times but a) my eyes are pretty bad and I know there's a limit and II) at this point my glasses may as well be a part of me. Pretty cool to be a cyborg, and a heck of lot cheaper than the lasers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I've thought about it a few times but a) my eyes are pretty bad and I know there's a limit and II) at this point my glasses may as well be a part of me. Pretty cool to be a cyborg, and a heck of lot cheaper than the lasers.

Are you really a cyborg if there aren't lasers involved? I think not. :colbert:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

KillHour posted:

Are you really a cyborg if there aren't lasers involved? I think not. :colbert:

LASIK curious should read this (and discuss it with an optometrist): https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...-draft-guidance

Personally I’ve seen it cause many issues, and it does little to correct farsightedness, so it’s not likely to help you computer better. Reading glasses on the other hand will.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Warmachine posted:

I had one artificial lens due to cataract in my 40s, went in to have the other eye hit with LASIK so I could lose glasses entirely a few years later and ended up with another artificial lens, because that eye was showing the start of cataracts, too. I did get LASIK on the original lens replacement though, because they made that one match my "good" eye so my glasses would be roughly the same on both side. Don't know why I couldn't have just had a zero prescription lens on that side...

At any rate, would recommend corrective vision surgery, LASIK is fine. Advantage with mine is that my eyesight *shouldn't* ever change and need a touch up, because the artificial lenses are already fixed focus. Changing vision from age is due to the lenses hardening and becoming less able to "autofocus." I'm already there. I wore glasses for 30 years. I wish I had the money to have done it a lot sooner. No regerts.

Warmachine posted:

This is correct. My late farther-in-law got some goood drugsTM to calm him down long enough to get the LASIK done, and was very happy he'd had it done.

tehinternet posted:

I was onboard for lasik til I heard what it does to night vision, no thanks

I had kinda poo poo night vision to start with, and going from 80/160 or something like that to near perfect was worth the trade off if it were a problem. Just wear anti-glare glasses if you need to while driving.

tokin opposition posted:

See, I get to be a cyborg with the cataract-replacement lenses. Best of both!

edit: my brain was able to handle having one lens for close up and one lens for distance, so I normally don't need reading glasses. Usually only for small and/or poor contrast text, sometimes in poor lighting. Just normal off-the-shelf 1.5x glasses. Or really close-up stuff, like model building.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 13, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My mum just had her cataracts done (thank you social medicine) and she's pretty much 20/20 vision now, just needs a pair of reading glasses for close up stuff since the replacement lens can't shift focus. All the night time glare has gone, everything doesn't look dark any more. She didn't notice the issues at first because they were so gradual but then the decline started to pick up pace.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I still have sun light issues but I got sunglasses for that. 100% would recommend lasik

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Diqnol posted:

Service Now is pretty good as a platform imo but I've found that it can really chug at times, especially if you integrate something like 3CLogic. It also doesn't hand attachments from a parent record down to the child that the case is primarily opened for which some might see as a feature but I find it unnecessary.

It chugs because your admin/devs are most likely running too many business rules and such in the background. I've never seen too many ServiceNow team spend time on performance tuning.

The attachments issue is often fixed by either having a business rule to copy attachments form parent to child record or adding a related list on child record listing all attachments from all related tickets.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

tehinternet posted:

You might not have gone deep enough then. No offense meant there — FreshService is 100% a robust ticketing system with a whole mess of automation options (phone posting or I’d link you their “workflow automators” documentation). It’s GUI based and allows you to do a shitload of stuff; I generally use it to trigger downstream Power Automate flows but use it for simple stuff like ticket assignments and the like. They have a great API with stellar documentation — I cut my teeth on REST API using their documentation, 15 APIs later and it’s still the best documentation I’ve seen. Smartsheet comes close.

You can create request templates with request specific automation. You can create break/fix ticket templates (incidents). You can create problem tickets so you can group incidents together (we use it for outages primarily). There’s change management/ITIL poo poo there too. Asset management is there as a nice bonus (techs can associate an asset with a ticket which can be useful for troubleshooting), but it’s far from the star feature. You can set KPIs if that’s your thing or customer service surveys if that’s your thing.

I’ll stan for FreshService all day since it’s literally allowed me to automate the majority of the boring poo poo that my team handles (going by tags assigned to those automated tickets, I’m going on 5,000 tickets my team hasn’t had to handle in the past year). They’re constantly adding new poo poo and improving poo poo too.

My only complaint is that their technical support is hit and miss, but that’s common with most of the vendors we deal with.

But yeah man, you do you, if it’s not for you, it’s not for you — I just wanted you to know that it’s a super solid IT ticketing system and probably my favorite program that my team handles.

If your at this level with FreshService, you should get into ServiceNow.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

"You must now come in 2 days a week."

Reformatting my resume was a bit of a pita

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

oh rly posted:

If your at this level with FreshService, you should get into ServiceNow.

I’m here for it, ITSM tickles that OCD everything must be just so itch. I’ll look into it — why do you recommend ServiceNow?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

KillHour posted:

I'll never understand people who never stop and think "Maybe there's a better/easier way...". Like even if it's a task I have no background in, I'll look up info/ask to make sure I don't gently caress things up *too* bad.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

tehinternet posted:

I’m here for it, ITSM tickles that OCD everything must be just so itch. I’ll look into it — why do you recommend ServiceNow?

I started off running an ITSM team and then moved to managing ServiceNow at multiple companies. I got 8 years on the platform currently sitting at Director level owning the platform. We have a team of 9 managing it.

ServiceNow is the big dog in the industry and can do almost anything as long as you got the right investment as in a Product team and Engineering team to support it. It fails at many companies because there is one admin or leadership has their head up their rear end, which is why many goons complain about it. It provides great job security when you're good at it. ServiceNow jobs pay well too.

At my current company, we got all of Tech using it for ITSM, but have also integrated 8 different business unit groups who use it for their own work. We got about 800 fulfillers working tickets supporting about 8,000 users nationally. We're integrated with many applications and have a lot of automation running both in Tech and business operations groups.

I'd be glad to talk more in PMs or outside this thread if you want to hear more.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

KillHour posted:

You know that's his assistant, not him right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

oh rly posted:

At my current company, we got all of Tech using it for ITSM, but have also integrated 8 different business unit groups who use it for their own work. We got about 800 fulfillers working tickets supporting about 8,000 users nationally. We're integrated with many applications and have a lot of automation running both in Tech and business operations groups.

I am indescribably jealous of this ratio. I love my job but that is several orders of magnitude better than our ratio.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/sysadafterdark/status/1646600387451813888?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Handsome Ralph posted:

I work for one of those, it's a pretty rad gig. Being able to occasionally reflect on the fact that we make medicines is a great motivator.

As for SNOW, if you've got good Product and Engineering teams it will end up being a source of truth for your whole organization. We've got HR and Facilities using it. We've done the hard work of mapping out our service portfolio and building the relationships between services and CIs so we can do things like schedule maintenance on a NAS, and all the service owners of VMs that live on it get emails automatically. We also have business and technical contacts for everything we do. It's great, if you put in the work we did.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’ve been at this new job for 5 months now. The previous senior sys admin left two months before I started and from I gather the guy was extremely not pro active and was so worried about something breaking nothing was ever patched or upgraded. poo poo is definitely breaking now but it’s being fixed and patched. What a cluster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lasik is awesome. I have to use eyedrops out, but I live in a super loving dry place now so it was probably needed anyways. No night vision, halos, etc. My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

Better than the places that I've been at where they store user's password / service account passwords in AD custom attributes / descriptions.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

And Albert Einstein stood up and clapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

guppy posted:

I am indescribably jealous of this ratio. I love my job but that is several orders of magnitude better than our ratio.

Yeah how is that ratio even sustainable? More than 10% support staff?
We're a small IT footprint construction company, but I'm stretched pretty thin with 4 helpdesk and an engineer for 1k users.