Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im about to say a bunch of words that are likely to inflame the thread BUT

Kieran Culkin (one of the stars of Succession) was recently asked about the NES and Videogames on his recent Hot Ones interview and proceeds to wax poetic about Castlevania and Castlevania 2, and other games. I'm sure they play it up through the editing but it seems like he really leans into answering that question and is a big gaming fan. Fun section of the interview if anyone is so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bows1 posted:

Im about to say a bunch of words that are likely to inflame the thread BUT

Kieran Culkin (one of the stars of Succession) was recently asked about the NES and Videogames on his recent Hot Ones interview and proceeds to wax poetic about Castlevania and Castlevania 2, and other games. I'm sure they play it up through the editing but it seems like he really leans into answering that question and is a big gaming fan. Fun section of the interview if anyone is so inclined.

ok but is he a real gamer?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who can finish Simons Quest counts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any time a celebrity proclaims themselves to be "a gamer" I'm immediately skeptical, like have you even seen so much as a single Vex rune drop? Begone from my sight, commoner.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/MwKMmVoKhko

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I call myself VideoGames and you could stack from here to the moon the amount of classic video games I have not played.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Roman Roy is totally a gamer though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A few notes on the PS+ titles leaving.

The "Resident Evil" game that's leaving is indeed the HD Remaster of the first game. The other games in the series, including the PS1 version of Resident Evil Director's Cut, are staying put for now.

That said, I think the fact that Resident Evil VII got added to PS+ Extra screwed it up as part of the PS+ game catalog for PS5, and I don't think it lets you claim it correctly for that anymore.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Aipsh posted:

Love forgetting that PS Premium was on auto renew and having all that money taken out of my account just before christmas and CERNY is throwing games in the digital bonfire.

I keep forgetting to turn auto renew off.

It hosed me over in January, and when I went over to my friend's to catch up and play a couple rounds of zombies, he got a pop up that his account was renewing the next day. He doesn't touch his ps4 much these days so he wouldn't have realized he was about to lose 60 bucks at a point when he couldnt afford to

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oof

32 games leaving ps+ extra/premium catalog on may 16. i sure hope this is gearing up for some sweet rear end announcement during Keigh3 or whatever, because in addition the 'ps+ collection' that came with PS5 expires on may 9th

What the heck are they doing at Sony? I didn't think it was controversial to say that XBox is kicking their rear end with the subscription service, so I woulda thought they'd at least be hanging on to all the titles they've already got.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phenotype posted:

What the heck are they doing at Sony? I didn't think it was controversial to say that XBox is kicking their rear end with the subscription service, so I woulda thought they'd at least be hanging on to all the titles they've already got.

PS5 is still outselling Xbox to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if Xbox has made any meaningful advances in market share in terms of percentage of console units sold.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Phenotype posted:

They have no control over whether third party publishers continue to allow their games on the subscription, so that part is unavoidable (and affects Game Pass just as much). That said, Spider-Man is leaving and that's a first-party game, so I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PS+ Premium still manages to be the most laughable deal in gaming by a large degree, like it’s embarrassing

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Volte posted:

They have no control over whether third party publishers continue to allow their games on the subscription, so that part is unavoidable (and affects Game Pass just as much). That said, Spider-Man is leaving and that's a first-party game, so I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

I mean... they have money, don't they? Wave some cash around and I bet these publishers would change their minds.

And yeah, they're removing first-party titles too? What for??

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this console’s hardware is good but everything else about it is so embarrassing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phenotype posted:

I mean... they have money, don't they? Wave some cash around and I bet these publishers would change their minds.

And yeah, they're removing first-party titles too? What for??

They have money but they don't have Microsoft money, and are quite risk-averse when it comes to investing in ways without guaranteed returns.

As for first party titles, it's still not "free" and there's still money that needs to change hands in a way that makes it an expense, especially for something like Spider-Man where there's also licensing. Sony's a notoriously weird company when it comes to its different divisions, and even famously sued themselves at one point (Sony Music Group didn't like Sony Electronics making MP3 players).

EDIT To be clear, I think all of this is loving stupid and bullshit and Sony should be giving all its games for free like Microsoft does, but I understand there are market realities that prevent this.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 13, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

PS5 is still outselling Xbox to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if Xbox has made any meaningful advances in market share in terms of percentage of console units sold.

The saving grace for Microsoft is that Gamepass is on more than just Xbox so even if Xbox is not outselling PS5s they are still doing great numbers on PC gamepass. I am still not totally sure about the gamepass model, it only makes sense because it is Microsoft and they have fu money.

The confusing thing is Sony half rear end trying to compete with them on the subscription front maybe it's for the shareholders? Also I feel like we know there are some new sony teams just made for GaaS games and I am worried about those. Imo Microsoft won't remove CoD from Playstation so they have nothing to worry about from that merger in that front, they just need to keep making good single player games on their end and keep their exclusives with their Japanese partners. That's what most of their userbase want anyway.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Oxxidation posted:

this console’s hardware is good but everything else about it is so embarrassing

It's been out for years and there's still no Corn Love theme. what are they even doing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the cycle.

PS2 dominated so they got cocky and poo poo the bed with PS3 at launch and had to scramble to make good. They learned their lesson and didn’t botch the PS4 launch, went on to dominate again so they got cocky and are now in another “poo poo the bed” phase.

PS6 is therefore likely to absolutely whip rear end and come with all kinds of good stuff. In like 8 years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder how much Microsoft would be eating Sony’s lunch right now if they were even halfway competent/hadn’t hedged their bets on the fuckin Series S

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At least for the time being Sony's not "making GBS threads the bed" in a way that actually impacts their bottom line or cedes significant ground to Xbox. They lost a little bit to Game Pass and the to-be-confirmed Activision Blizzard buyout, but these aren't things that Sony's in a position to "properly" compete on (they didn't have 69 billion dollars to spend), but I don't think they even lost that much (a very large number of console purchasers don't really know about Game Pass or anything like that). Sony's still selling basically every PS5 console they manufacture, and if anything their inability to keep up with demand was a bigger issue (a decent number of people bought an Xbox because they started becoming available earlier and they were tired of waiting for PS5s to be more available).

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s the cycle.

PS2 dominated so they got cocky and poo poo the bed with PS3 at launch and had to scramble to make good. They learned their lesson and didn’t botch the PS4 launch, went on to dominate again so they got cocky and are now in another “poo poo the bed” phase.

PS6 is therefore likely to absolutely whip rear end and come with all kinds of good stuff. In like 8 years.

It’s totally this. I know it’s nonsensical but it feels pretty insane by how predictable it’s been.

I still remember E3–rest in piss—for last gen when MS did their presser first and touted so much stupid poo poo nobody cared about… kinect and on and on and how interconnected the bone was and it landed like a wet fart. The next day Sony popped out and were all like, “This thing plays games, also have a bunch of trailers” and that’s all it took to make everyone happy. I guarantee they had a very different presser planned beforehand, and all it took was watching MS flail for them to last minute pow-wow that poo poo.

And now here we are again with the situation reversed.

FWIW this is not a statement on quality of console or anything of the like just more about strategy and perception. Hell it’s not even really about sales. That is to say I think sales matter, but there’s a weird kind of public arrogance and set of inscrutable behaviors that come from the leader of prior generation hardware.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 13, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I kinda want a Series S, but really only to play Gears 2 and 3 again. It would not be a good decision to buy one because there's no goddamn way I'd ever play any current gen games on that vs. on my PS5 or PC.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Unrelatedly, I'm gonna make an argument for using the cheapest below-spec drive you can find in the PS5's internal M.2 slot. I've looked at a couple of write-ups and YouTube videos, and afaict, no-one has found even one instance where there was any meaningful difference between the slowest and fastest drives in terms of actually playing games. As long as it's PCIe 4x4 (necessary for the PS5 to even let you use it), it's fine.

I could've gotten a 2TB Kingston NV2 and a heatshield for less than what I paid for a 1TB WD SN850X, and it looks like the only downsides would've been slower transfer speeds when transferring a game from the internal storage to the SSD (which I never do), and hypothetically maybe having to move a game to internal storage if ever one comes along where being below the recommended read speed actually matters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It’s the cycle.

The Play Station 5 is not "making GBS threads the bed" except in ways that certain hardcore game people who dislike cinematic open world AAA games like me care about.

The only time Microsoft appeared to have an "upper hand" was the 7th generation, a generation where they finished 3rd place in, because they had a significant price advantage and a launch window advantage. The PS3 actually outsold the 360 and IIRC at no point was it actually trailing the 360 in sales adjusted for the time from launch.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 13, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

I kinda want a Series S, but really only to play Gears 2 and 3 again. It would not be a good decision to buy one because there's no goddamn way I'd ever play any current gen games on that vs. on my PS5 or PC.

You can put it in dev mode and shove emulators on it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
While, if I actually had an Xbox, would probably be singing the praises of GamePass it is basically terrible for the industry as a whole and will slowly erode the quality of games. So lets go back to panic sales and free multiplayer I say

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can put it in dev mode and shove emulators on it

I could also do that on my PC or Steam Deck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It does not seem like Sony is making GBS threads the bed atm. The hardware owns. The games own. The subscription service is ehh...??? Pay for it or don't. Personally I do, whether I get my monies worth from it or not I'm not sure, but I have been playing a lot of games offered on the service lately. Helps that my renewal is in November so I get hooked up on the black Friday deal and shopto always has discounted psn cards so it's really not a whole lot extra money for premium imo imho jimho jimbo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The other weird wrinkle to all of this is that Xbox users who are all in on Game Pass have this weird psychology going on where they'll refuse to purchase most games now, with the expectation they'll show up on Game Pass some day. Exceptions are rare and for things like Call of Duty, and everyone's half-expecting the next entry in the franchise to be a day one Game Pass game. So now there's the weird effect where people are just more likely to buy your game at launch for $60 or $70 on PlayStation vs on Xbox, and depending on how things go I could see it becoming a weird sort of self-fulfilling prophecy where devs stop making Xbox versions of games because they don't "sell" there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

I could also do that on my PC or Steam Deck

well yeah but it's nice to have a bunch of stuff on one box

i wish that thing had more in the way of subscription video support because it'd be a nice "STB+" for people who think the nVidia Shield isn't gamer enough for a Chromecast replacement

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Funny how time have changed when people are now comparing which console has the best subscription service instead of which one has better games you buy from a store.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah “poo poo the bed” is absolutely a relative term but you can’t deny their subscription service is lol and reeks of the kind of hubris that comes from ‘people are buying all the consoles we can put out anyway so gently caress it’

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new PS Plus tiers aren’t great but is it possible we only feel that way because Game Pass is so good? Like if that didn’t exist I think it would be touted as pretty good. New AAA games day one is just fuckin hard to beat y’know, but that was Microsoft doing a wild swing and not something you would have expected from anyone

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

WaltherFeng posted:

Funny how time have changed when people are now comparing which console has the best subscription service instead of which one has better games you buy from a store.

Just you wait till Redfall!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FireWorksWell posted:

Just you wait till Redfall!!

30fps at launch lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a reason many are saying “Redfail”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah “poo poo the bed” is absolutely a relative term but you can’t deny their subscription service is lol and reeks of the kind of hubris that comes from ‘people are buying all the consoles we can put out anyway so gently caress it’

Definitely, but I think Sony might be banking on the fact that a subscription service for video games isn't really a selling point, at least not one that's worth the financial investment to maintain especially since it's likely that Microsoft's doing clever accounting to obfuscate what Sony might not be able to reasonably say isn't a loss internally.

This is also, of course, something that can change in terms of popular opinion over the years. If Sony starts believing Xbox is eating their lunch (in the "people are buying Xboxes instead of PlayStations now and are console sales are dying" sense) they'll probably arrange to take a loss on boosting the PS++ and +++ catalog.

I think the other weird angle is that Sony's entry-level free titles are often pretty solid entries and where they're investing their attention. By contrast, the two free games a month you get with basic Xbox Gold are almost all straight-up dogshit you've never heard of, with the heavier titles being focused on Game Pass.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

30fps at launch lol

I don’t care about this. The real insane choice they made is that only the host gets story progression in co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CottonWolf posted:

I don’t care about this. The real insane choice they made is that only the host gets story progression in co-op.

Nioh games had the perfect coop. Why is this so hard.