Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

If we traveled back in time 30 years or so Bijan's at least hovering around the discussion for first overall I think.

I still don't think he's going top 10 these days (although it wouldn't stun me). But yeah he's not dropping past 20, someone's grabbing him. He's too good.

Remember that year 3 RBs went in the top 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ki-Jana Carter was literally the death knell of the concept of a runningback going 1st overall, since him the highest an RB has gone is 2nd and the only two who went that high were Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush which is lmao

a neat cape posted:

that was the Ronnie Brown year and the other two RBs drafted in the top 5 after him were Cedric Benson and Cadillac Williams

the other two players drafted in the top 5 that year were Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards.

2005 was a hell of a year

Alaois fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fournette went top 4 like 5 years ago. McCaffrey went 8th in the same draft. Both went ahead of Mahomes and Watson.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I still remember being pissed off when we took Tomlinson top 5 because I really wanted Vick

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It is correct to not draft RBs with high picks. Between the fungibility of rbs, the opportunity cost, and positional value, a team would get better average utility from investing that pick somewhere else.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Even when you do get a great running back with a first round pick it doesn't tend to work out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

Even when you do get a great running back with a first round pick it doesn't tend to work out.

When you pick a great player that means it works out lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It is correct to not draft RBs with high picks. Between the fungibility of rbs, the opportunity cost, and positional value, a team would get better average utility from investing that pick somewhere else.

Which is the dumb draft equivalent of saying there's a hold on every play.

RBs aren't fungible. How do you replace someone who can get to the edge in under two seconds with someone who is a worse athlete? How do you find a pass catching and pass blocking RB late?

Opportunity cost is easily figured out when you're working with money but these are human beings. There's nothing to say that the guy you took instead of the RB is going to have the same career on your team.

Positional value is still there. 15 RBs last year brought thousand yard seasons with a bunch of TDs to their teams. Every position is valuable and, more importantly, every high end athlete is valuable.

Where does it say a team will get better average utility from investing the pick elsewhere? Do you have anything to prove that a DE getting 8 sacks his rookie year is better than a RB getting 950 yards his rookie year? Did we suddenly figure out WAR for football?

Ignoring everything, do you want to give the ball to a guy who runs slower and cuts slower than a guy who is better? Do you really want to hang your team's run game on the Shonne Greenes of the world? Just throwing away a whole year hoping that your 5th round RB isn't a plodder.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The point is that the skill floor and ceiling between folks that are drafted to play RB is not very far apart, or at the worst achievable by a committee if you need multiple skill sets. The skill gap between other positions is far greater which makes the individual more important.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I would like Bijan on the Chargers very badly

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

a neat cape posted:

I will never forget it because my dumbass team was one of them when Thomas Jones was still on the loving roster.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

2 top 5 pick RBs from the same school

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the school of hard knocks who's ready to rock

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Over the last ten years, the following running backs were drafted in the first round

Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon
Ezekiel Elliott
Leonard Fournette
Christian McCaffrey
Saquon Barkley
Rashaad Penny
Sony Michel
Josh Jacobs
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Najee Harris
Travis Etienne

The guys who went top ten are Gurley, Barkley, Zeke, CMC, and 4net. I don't think the rest were in the same tier are those guys as prospects. I think Bijan is. I think the only team that really regrets taking a running back in the top ten is Jacksonville. If you tell me there's an 80% chance I'm getting a top three NFL running back with my first rounder, I'm taking it. Give me Bijan.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Gurley made it four seasons in LA before falling off and was gone after year five
Saquon's had three good years and two bad/injury years and it's looking iffy if he stays in NY past year six
Zeke made it seven years in Dallas but was average at best after year four (and became known as an overpaid/overused/overrated guy as soon as he hit his second contract)
McCaffrey had 3.33 healthy years in Carolina before leaving and he's arguably the biggest success story of any team drafting a RB in the top 10 over the past decade (in part because they at least got some picks back for him)

It's not that a first round RB can't be an impact player, it's that even if you hit a home run, the position has such a short shelf life that it's still unlikely to pay off the same way it would if you hit on a prospect at any other position. It's arguably worth it if you've got very few holes on your roster and are in position to contend right away, but that tends to not be the case for teams picking in the top 10.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Gurley made it four seasons in LA before falling off and was gone after year five
Saquon's had three good years and two bad/injury years and it's looking iffy if he stays in NY past year six
Zeke made it seven years in Dallas but was average at best after year four (and became known as an overpaid/overused/overrated guy as soon as he hit his second contract)
McCaffrey had 3.33 healthy years in Carolina before leaving and he's arguably the biggest success story of any team drafting a RB in the top 10 over the past decade (in part because they at least got some picks back for him)

It's not that a first round RB can't be an impact player, it's that even if you hit a home run, the position has such a short shelf life that it's still unlikely to pay off the same way it would if you hit on a prospect at any other position. It's arguably worth it if you've got very few holes on your roster and are in position to contend right away, but that tends to not be the case for teams picking in the top 10.

I definitely agree with the latter part of your post. If the Bills took Bijan it would be a smart pick because they simply don't get enough production from the position. At times they seem to be on the cusp, but they really lack a plan B if Allen 2 Diggs doesn't click. I also think they should send their second for hopkins if that's the price because they'd immediately fix their offensive woes that pop up from time to time. I didn't mind the move when the Chiefs drafted CEH, even if that didn't really work out.

I also like going high in the second if you get a good building block in the first like the Jets did with Breece.

I think running backs can have pretty much immediate impact and turn either a terrible offense into an average one or a good one into an elite one, and if you hit you can pick up the 5th year option, slap 'em with the tag, and let them walk at 27 or 28 after riding them into the dirt for 5 or 6 years.

I know Travis Etienne hasn't exactly blown the league away, but he had 1500 scrimmage yards last year. I'd rather him than like... Isiah Simmons.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think there's more point in selecting RBs high when you're a contender looking to add a final piece. Bijan to the Bills would make a lot of sense.

Whereas Saquon is a great player, but by the time the giants got good, they're in this place where they have to pay him too much or lose him. Jags might end up in the same place with Etienne.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Jets offense doesn’t move the ball without Breece Hall last year and he’s a large reason they were 5-2 or whatever they were when he went down. They were crucified by the analytics guys for taking him over like a safety when they had so many holes.

I maintain having good players is good though.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I think you shouldn't take an RB with a pick in the first half of the first round. Past that, go wild.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’d rather the panthers had drafted Mahomes instead of cmc if we’re being honest.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I suppose I assumed Calijah Kancey would be in the running for the Hawks but apparently he is short and has short arms which is not great for D Line

Getting curious about Keeanu Benton though

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yes thank you god

Zimbo don’t stop

https://twitter.com/joshnorris/status/1646504631629934592?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

tarbrush posted:

I think there's more point in selecting RBs high when you're a contender looking to add a final piece. Bijan to the Bills would make a lot of sense.

By the same token, if he falls to 10, he would make a ton of sense for the Eagles - as great as the offense was last year, adding a stud pass-catching back could take them into Greatest Show on Turf territory and give them a chance to win a shootout with anyone in the league. I don't think it'll happen, but I think it's an example of a case where a team would be perfectly justified in taking a RB in the top 10.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Darnell Washington would make a ton of sense in Seattle too. Maybe they'd finally be able to run a screen successfully. Just one, at least.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1646512058970828802

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will never care about anything Adam Schefter has to say.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's so weird. Two weeks ago the consensus was that the Panthers would take Stroud. I wonder how the Texans feel about him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

:lol: team doing their due diligence is a waste of time is a hilariously bad take

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Regarding the chat about s2 upthread….

https://twitter.com/johnhcrumpler/status/1646518633781432323?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This is like me almost having got a perfect SAT score, but I was part of a Duke program since 6th grade where I took it twice a year and they tracked my progress.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I wouldn't penalize him for being prepared and putting in prior work. Just shows how much more ready and polished he is, imo.

For the SAT comparison, kids do actually prepare on practice tests for years, too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:smugjones: He can throw a tight spiral after a flawless 5-step drop? Big deal, he's been practicing that since 6th grade.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I will never care about anything Adam Schefter has to say.

I would really love it if all goons collectively unfollowed Dov Kleiman

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

:smugjones: He can throw a tight spiral after a flawless 5-step drop? Big deal, he's been practicing that since 6th grade.

Throwing a football seems more relevant to playing QB than taking a test but maybe I’m overthinking things here.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think the point is the guys who haven't had access are naturally going to look worse by comparison, so it isn't necessarily a fair benchmark. There's also the very important fact that there is no real evidence this test is predictive in any way.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The only standardized test I need is watching the high standard that CJ holds himself to

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Athletic had a writeup on the S2 test: https://theathletic.com/4226466/2023/02/24/nfl-quarterbacks-s2-cognition-test/

Some excerpts:

quote:

The exam lasts 40 to 45 minutes. It’s performed on a specially designed gaming laptop and response pad that can record reactions in two milliseconds. To put that in perspective, an eye blink lasts 100 to 150 milliseconds.

In one section of the exam, a series of diamonds flash on the screen for 16 milliseconds each. Every diamond is missing a point, and the test taker must determine — using left, right, up or down keys — which part is missing.

In another, the test seeks to find out how many objects an athlete can keep track of at the same time. In another, there are 22 figures on the screen and the athlete must locate a specific one as quickly as possible. The object might be a red triangle embedded in other shapes that are also red.

“We’re talking about things they have to perceive on the screen within 16/1,000th of a second, which is essentially subliminal and which scientific literature says you shouldn’t be able to process,” Ally said. “And I’ll be honest with you, we’re seeing pro baseball players see something way faster than 16 milliseconds, which has never been reported in literature, all the way to some athletes who may take 150 milliseconds. So our eyes may see the same thing. But for some, it takes longer to process than others.”

quote:

He couldn’t give out Purdy’s exact score because it’s privileged information but said it was in the “mid 90s.” That’s about where Brees, the former Saints quarterback famous for lightning-fast decision-making, scored and where two of the top passers in the league now, the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes and the Bills’ Josh Allen, also landed. The Bengals’ Joe Burrow took the test while at LSU and agreed to allow S2 to disclose the information.

Of course he did — he scored in the 97th percentile.

“We consider anything above the 80th percentile to be elite,” Ally said.

quote:

The company recently looked at 27 starting quarterbacks. (Some of the older veterans like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers had entered the league before S2 began testing in 2015 and there are no scores for them; Brees took the test while already playing in the NFL.) Of that group, 13 had a career passer rating above 90. The average S2 score of those players was the 91st percentile. Those with passer ratings below 90 had much lower test results.

“Those 14 guys, the average score was in the low 60s,” Ally said.

Top-tier quarterbacks have the highest average scores, followed closely by safeties. That makes sense considering safeties are known as the “quarterback of the defense” and must keep an eye on multiple moving opponents.

“The average human being can keep track of about three and a half objects at a time,” Alley said. “The average safety in the NFL, it’s closer to six.”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh so that's why nobody has said what Stroud scored. I'm still waiting to hear for sure that he scored low if we're going to be passing that info on

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i scored well on that flash game where you click as soon as it says. 2002 kicked rear end

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

kiimo posted:

I would really love it if all goons collectively unfollowed Dov Kleiman

Yeah, hasn't this guy been outed multiple times now as either an aggregator or clickbaiter? Why are we still posting the account's tweets like they're gospel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Standardized tests using passer rating to determine QB goodness percentiles. Throw it in the trash.