Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"So what's holding up the Star Destroyers with the planet-killing lasers? Why did you-know-who decree we should bury them under ice rather than, and I'm just spitballing here, use them to reform the Empire?"

Look, if you had battle meditation we'd listen to you but you don't.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish the Mofference had been the entire episode to be honest

Still a much better episode overall than the rest of this season, which just kind of meandered around until it was time for Plot to happen

A whole episode Mofference is just Andor (and it was good)

Love Rat posted:

I went away from TV IV after Andor season one finished, and when I left the consensus seemed to be Andor is so much better than any other SW (I agree) that the other Disney stuff (aside from some of the animated series) is just dumb and embarrassing and pathetic by comparison. And now I've come back and the general consensus seems to be "Mandlorian is dumb as poo poo but fun!" (which I half-agree with). The serious-fun pendulum flew off the fixed point. Quality's out, pulp comic book goofiness is in.

Anyways, nice contrast. What a difference a few months make lol. Mandalorian is kind of awful, but its occasional awesomeness kind of makes up for it.

Mostly because the first few episodes were dumb as poo poo and not fun, but this one was dumb as poo poo but fun. It's a recentcy bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arc Hammer posted:

Fun way out! Fun way out!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Was that cold open mofference 10 minutes long? Jesus Christ. Not even George would dwell that long on a single expositionary scene. And then it got even worse with the nighttime bonfire pep talk. Extremely slow episode.

IG-12 came along at just the right time though. When the scouting team was traversing the rocky underground cliff sides after landing on the planet, I thought to myself yeah it would be pretty old if grogu was still tagging along in his floating stroller.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I'm not trying to say "The Empire did nothing wrong" but they don't really do much 'fascist' stuff either beyond some vague resemblance of the uniforms, of which the most iconic, the Stormtrooper, looks nothing like anything actual Nazis would wear. The rest of it is just generic bad guy kids stuff like gnashing their teeth and stealing the scenes they share with typically bland good guys. Disney seems to be muddying the waters anyway by making the New Republic into a spooky police state that uses slave labor, police entrapment, and brain-melting tech machines to torture suspects without a trial.

This is true, the brand is changing and since Grogu is probably now one of the more famous "Star Wars" brand characters, it's obviously shifting to a style that's seen as more "kid-appropriate" or whatever these days. The "original" Empire had Peter Cushing blowing up an entire planet, with quite a few people on it too, just to make a point about torturing Leia. That's some pretty bad stuff, and arguably Cushing is evocative of the kind of visual and emotional impact a Nazi officer would. The Empire we see in today's media doesn't really hit those notes, intentionally, and I'm as tired of eternally repeating Nazi poo poo as the next person, so it's probably for the best.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao it was like 5 minutes and it was the best part of an otherwise good episode.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
What’s the beef people have with the Obiwan series? There were definitely a couple of dumb things - surviving lightsaber wounds chief among them - but nothing as bad as the prequels. McGregor was great. The fights were fun. Is it because Leia isn’t supposed to know Obi?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Insanely poorly made and bad story telling. Only saving grace was some good performances and some nice moments (though one ripped right off the TV shows)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mweber posted:

What’s the beef people have with the Obiwan series? There were definitely a couple of dumb things - surviving lightsaber wounds chief among them - but nothing as bad as the prequels. McGregor was great. The fights were fun. Is it because Leia isn’t supposed to know Obi?

:goonsay:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really liked Kumail as a fake Jedi. That was fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Insanely poorly made and bad story telling.

This. Also poorly conceived on a fundamental level, with the entire Leia storyline and Obi-Wan and Anakin meeting being terrible ideas. Not to mention looks cheap as hell. Also, the inquisitors are one of the lamest things in all of Star Wars.

While you may not think the prequels are good, I think it's difficult to argue that they're not dense, complex, thoughtful films. Obi-Wan is just substance-less, empty-headed candy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 13, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

About the only good thing from Obi-Wan was the truck ride conversation. The rest is utter garbage. The lightsaber fights looked like poo poo. The planet battle with all the Stormtroopers was garbage. Egg head looked dumb and this "second stomach" is a joke. The third-sister played by Moses Ingram was a joke and she was stuck with this garbage script and directing. There's so much more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

swickles posted:

Yeah this was good. And the meat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mweber posted:

I mean I guess a couple of dumb things could be correct, if one of those dumb things was everything about the show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Unfortunately, he's hard to see as anyone other than himself. He's one of those actors that never seems like a character if that makes any sense.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Sash! posted:

Unfortunately, he's hard to see as anyone other than himself. He's one of those actors that never seems like a character if that makes any sense.

He has a very distinctive voice and manner of speaking and he doesn't really change it up in his roles. Kingo sounds the same as Haja. I did like him as the huckster fake Jedi. There are a lot of fun concepts in Obi-Wan that the material just fails to service adequately.

Pick any of these 3:

-Obi-wan must travel off worlds and meets a scammer, but they end up having an adventure together and the scammer becomes a true ally of the force & the fleeing force sensitives
-Obi-wan teams up with a double agent Imperial officer to delay the Empire's force sensitive purge, helping to establish an escape network for fleeing force sensitives
-Obi-wan is asked by Bail Organa to help Leia in a time of crisis, and he has to balance protecting Anakin's daughter while not revealing too much of his identity

and then build 6 episodes around it and have a satisfying conclusion. Throw in your stuff on the margins like the bounty hunters or inquisitors or whatever, but the Obi-Wan show despite being such a limited run is both bloated and hollow. You have all 3 storylines above plus an inquisitor scheming to try and take down vader, obi-wan and vader reuniting, plus a menacing luke storyline, plus whatever was going on with ice cube jr.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 13, 2023

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Moff Gideon talking to the shadow council, he mentioned that the scientist has been lost and he seemed sincere about it. But it was his right-hand-girl that melted the scientist brain. Made me wonder if she did that entrapment on her own and didn't tell Moff. Or maybe walking past the cloning gear was the way of saying the scientist isn't needed anymore. I actually thought that the troopers on this episode are robots like the end of last season, them being clones would be interesting.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really enjoyed the new Mando ep. I think I just really enjoy when Star Wars fully embraces the overall weirdness of the different worlds and technology. Between the Moff-erence and the land ship thing, I was totally on board with whatever came after.

Although I cannot help but think that a lot of this season wasn't originally intended to be the plot structure for that canceled Rangers of the New Republic show. From the way he's positioned throughout the seven episodes already, I get the feeling Grogu wasn't actually intended to feature heavily this season. If you removed him entirely from this season, it wouldn't change the trajectory of anything because re-taking Mandalore and Din and Bo's redemption and learning to understand one another's views has been the bigger emphasis of the season.

Either way, I'm glad the show seems somewhat settled on what the story is going to be moving forward, so the show's pacing gets back to the way it was.

Although, 100% chance next week's episode is going to be a cameo-athon like we've never seen before to tee up the Ashoka series.

Also my guess, at the "Spies" title: This show has always done the obvious thing with its endings, which hasn't been a bad thing. But the more I try and tell myself that the Armorer isn't the other spy, the more I realize that this show hasn't tried too hard to misdirect. Something has been off with her all season, but I suspect they'll take the most obvious route once again. But I also think those guys on the weird sailing ship are probably also spies since they magically showed up at the right moment, took the heroes to precisely the spot they needed to be, and Armorer took a handful of that crew up to the fleet, I presume to cause trouble. It's also convenient that the interference in between Mandalore's surface makes contact with the ships above impossible. Whatever she says happened down there is all they'll have to go off of until Axe gets there.

Also, I can't wait for Grogu to go bananas in a killing frenzy with his murder droid mech.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

There are a ton of actors like that though. Many of them are really good at what they do, and some branch out into other things. Like Rob Lowe is always going to be charming and boyish, Jason Mantzoukas will always play the chaotic evil, and Ryan Reynolds will never not sarcasm his way through a movie. Still, they do it all really well and when the character fits in the script, it works well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

PlesantDilemma posted:

Moff Gideon talking to the shadow council, he mentioned that the scientist has been lost and he seemed sincere about it. But it was his right-hand-girl that melted the scientist brain. Made me wonder if she did that entrapment on her own and didn't tell Moff. Or maybe walking past the cloning gear was the way of saying the scientist isn't needed anymore. I actually thought that the troopers on this episode are robots like the end of last season, them being clones would be interesting.

I think the idea is that the scientist was SUPPOSED to go help Hux Sr but Gideon both got a lot of benefit out of him already + took him off the board for a rival. Hes making a play.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

PlesantDilemma posted:

I actually thought that the troopers on this episode are robots like the end of last season, them being clones would be interesting.
I still am holding out for a reveal that the Dark Troopers we saw last season were more than droids and that they contained Clone Wars clone brains, an intermediate step until whatever breakthrough Pershing came up with to create new clones.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Doronin posted:

Also my guess, at the "Spies" title: This show has always done the obvious thing with its endings, which hasn't been a bad thing. But the more I try and tell myself that the Armorer isn't the other spy, the more I realize that this show hasn't tried too hard to misdirect. Something has been off with her all season, but I suspect they'll take the most obvious route once again. But I also think those guys on the weird sailing ship are probably also spies since they magically showed up at the right moment, took the heroes to precisely the spot they needed to be, and Armorer took a handful of that crew up to the fleet, I presume to cause trouble. It's also convenient that the interference in between Mandalore's surface makes contact with the ships above impossible. Whatever she says happened down there is all they'll have to go off of until Axe gets there.

I saw that theory mentioned somewhere and thought, nah, no way...but maybe? She does do an awful great job of getting all of the Mandalorians together into one spot, sent right into a trap and conveniently bounces just in time to avoid the trap. She tells Din he can't go to Mandalore, it's not habitable and turns out not only is it habitable, but a huge enemy presence is there she might not want discovered. She's all about that Beskar and turns out, Moff is getting really good with it too.

Just lots of little things that are starting to add up. People think she might be Rook Kast working from the inside.

The other spy could also be what's his face that runs off to alert the other Mandalorians, because I have no idea how he is suppose to do that without a ship. He's not jetpacking into space, but he isn't at the fight to get killed either. But those 3 other Mandalorians could also definitely be working for Moff, because they not only never noticed anyone coming to or leaving the planet in all these years, but they also lead them right into the trap too.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ShowTime posted:

I saw that theory mentioned somewhere and thought, nah, no way...but maybe? She does do an awful great job of getting all of the Mandalorians together into one spot, sent right into a trap and conveniently bounces just in time to avoid the trap. She tells Din he can't go to Mandalore, it's not habitable and turns out not only is it habitable, but a huge enemy presence is there she might not want discovered. She's all about that Beskar and turns out, Moff is getting really good with it too.

Just lots of little things that are starting to add up. People think she might be Rook Kast working from the inside.

The other spy could also be what's his face that runs off to alert the other Mandalorians, because I have no idea how he is suppose to do that without a ship. He's not jetpacking into space, but he isn't at the fight to get killed either. But those 3 other Mandalorians could also definitely be working for Moff, because they not only never noticed anyone coming to or leaving the planet in all these years, but they also lead them right into the trap too.

That almost makes too much sense not to be the case in terms of [spoiler]Rook Cast working from the inside and just posing as "The Armorer" for so many years. Gideon expresses incredibly in-depth knowledge of Mandalorian tribes and customs that the suggestion of the covert working with the others seems to come as a genuine surprise. It wouldn't be a reach at all to think he's been stringing them along to keep them as divided as possible with plants in the various camps. I mean, that's such a galaxy brained Palpatine-esque tactic. It's not remotely unrealistic to think some Mandos just went along to get along and are loyal to him as he set up his base in secret. I mean, there was already a pretty healthy contingent of Imperial Mandos from prior shows.[/spoiler'

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The tension during the scene when the armorer is returning to the fleet probably isn't accidental, along with all the other things brought up that makes her go against her supposed convictions.

Doronin posted:

Although, 100% chance next week's episode is going to be a cameo-athon like we've never seen before to tee up the Ashoka series.

Yeah they kind of have to, and it will be appropriately dumb. But I am hyped for Rebels S5 live-action, so I'll definitely just be a mark for it all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I liked that the stormtroopers looked like a halfway design between OT and the First Order. It was a good aesthetic for these between years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sash! posted:

I really liked him in Silicon Valley, he was perfect for that show, but other than that I haven't cared about anything else he has done. He really isn't a good actor unless he is doing parody/satire.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ShowTime posted:

Just lots of little things that are starting to add up.
You make some great points.

Another is the idea of everyone masking all the time. No other Mandalorian group we've ever seen does that all of the time publically. That would be a great way to hide your real identity.

That said, I don't want it to be true.

Every time there's been an opportunity to show this sect as a bunch of nuts, they pull it out showing that they're on the level, culminating with the last scene of this past episode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mweber posted:

Lots of people poo poo on it and there have been goons who have replied with legit reasons, but I found Obi-Wan Kenobi entertaining. There were elements of the show which were legit awesome and the panels at Star Wars Celebration 2023 looking back at the series with the cast as well as the design panel by Doug Chang made me appreciate the work put into it much more.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If nothing else it proved Hayden Christensen can actually act because the prequels definitely didn’t show it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Love when all the design work and effort on display is completely obfuscated by godawful cinematography and shaky camera work.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jehde posted:

The tension during the scene when the armorer is returning to the fleet probably isn't accidental, along with all the other things brought up that makes her go against her supposed convictions.

I really hope it’s not because the way the show is written and directed, villains or otherwise duplicitous people are outright shown in no uncertain terms to be up to no good, and in 3 seasons they rarely play the Armorer as anything other than a steadfast and inflexible rules abiding person that supports our protagonists.

I don’t think they’ve laid enough groundwork for this in this season, and the show has trained me to not expect subtlety in the performances or directing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Invalid Validation posted:

If nothing else it proved Hayden Christensen can actually act because the prequels definitely didn’t show it.

You've obviously never seen Jumper, a movie where literally every co-star is a better actor than he is.

Or Awake, where he spends the majority of his time comatose and paralyzed on an operating table inwardly screaming in pain. Again, another movie where he's paired up with a ton of people who've proven they can act.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I saw elsewhere someone suggest that the episode title has a double meaning and refers to the scouting party themselves as a reference to The Twelve Spies, a group of Israelites sent by Moses to investigate their people’s future homeland.

I do not know enough about Jewish religion/culture to know if this is a valid idea.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The RK theory makes a horrible amount of sense but I really hope it doesn’t pan out. There was something oddly endearing about their handful of scenes with Grogu over the course of the show, plus you gotta love those beatdowns.

On a different note, it’s interesting how Grogu seems to enjoy chilling out with Bo and, given the whole Lady Kryze, princess of Mandalore and wielder of the Darksabre thing, how she’s been equally cool with it, patiently explaining things to him etc, instead of shoving him aside to focus on piloting and poo poo. Whatever her past gently caress ups, Bo seems to be a much better person now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
If there's a reason for lingering on the Armorer as she's flying back, I hope it's that she figures out Gideon is doing something to cause the magnetic interference and prepares the fleet for his attack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cheesus posted:

If there's a reason for lingering on the Armorer as she's flying back, I hope it's that she figures out Gideon is doing something to cause the magnetic interference and prepares the fleet for his attack.

Gonna open a window and smash a tie interceptor with her hammer

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The only thing that I've got to hold onto the Armorer being good is that Gideon wasn't aware the two groups of Mandalorians were working together when she was the one who suggested that to Bo Katan. If they were working closely together he'd be aware of that before any spies were able to find out and report it to him.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Sash! posted:

He’s looked a lot like the guy on the Big League Chew pack since he started working for Disney.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

mweber posted:

If you can ignore the terrible acting, poorly written characters (that aren't Obi Wan), choreography, plot, action, dialogue and most of all the wasted potential of Obi Wan and Anakin reuniting again considering that was the main draw of the show (a terrible flashback, absolutely zero weight to Obi Wan seeing Anakin alive again and the ensuing quarry fight was god awful, the final fight was only semi decent for the one scene where Anakin's mask is broken) yea it's fine. I know that's a very goony response but I just fail to see how anyone thought any of those elements were good really.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Jehde posted:

Yeah they kind of have to, and it will be appropriately dumb. But I am hyped for Rebels S5 live-action, so I'll definitely just be a mark for it all.

I was thinking about that earlier today. We had what, 11 combined seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels? I think. Anyway, for sequels to those series, we have one animated show (Bad Batch) and now at least three live-action series to continue what Rebels was doing (Mando, BoBF, Ashoka) and potentially more. This is not a complaint by any stretch, because I actually love it. Has any show ever had a direct sequel series in a different medium like that?

Then again, Clone Wars was a direct bridge between AotC and RotS prequel movies, so I'm not sure why this only suddenly popped into my head today.

AndyElusive posted:

Lots of people poo poo on it and there have been goons who have replied with legit reasons, but I found Obi-Wan Kenobi entertaining. There were elements of the show which were legit awesome and the panels at Star Wars Celebration 2023 looking back at the series with the cast as well as the design panel by Doug Chang made me appreciate the work put into it much more.

That's where I am with that show, too. When it was good, it was pretty awesome. I absolutely loved the finale showdown between Vader and Kenobi and thought Kenobi's overall arc of rediscovering his connection with the Force was pretty decent. Yeah, the show had issues, especially with tone and pacing, but it wasn't the pile of poo poo a lot of viewers purported it to be. I actually enjoyed it a little more than BoBF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if it's been pointed out, but in the Ahsoka trailer... no, behind that... there is an E-wing.

Does this imply that World Devastators may be canon, or on the horizon?

Only registered members can see post attachments!