Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

why are jaren jackson jr, ivaca zubac, kevon looney, anthony davis, deandre ayton, rudy gobert, and domantas sabonis all not "real" centers. What is the quality that none of them have but joel embiid and al horford do

e: im going to assume steven adams isn't a real center because he's injured and real centers aren't injured

I was referring to the 1-8 series not the west as a whole

anyway in your list the following are centers: AD, JJJ, Ayton , gobert

of that list only jjjj and AD are any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

euphronius thinks that al horford is the best player on the celtics

most valuable player

“best “ is kind of strange

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shear Modulus posted:

euphronius thinks that al horford is the best player on the celtics

sas's advanced stats guy thinks timelord is not only the best player on the celtics, but possibly the best player in the nba. a bunch of other posters on sa think derrick white is the best player on the celtics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

white is good. he’s got enough height.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

white is good. he’s got enough height.

would you rather have white or james hardon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like can you imagine if the sixers had white instead of maxey??

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

isn’t Denver playing OKcC

they’re playing the winner of Minnesota/OKC. this is called the “play in tournament.”

so if Minnesota wins, the centers they will probably play are: Gobert, Ayton, JJJ (and Adams if he’s back)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

would you rather have white or james hardon

lol I’d take him over maxey

harden’s pnr skills are too valuable with embiid to trade atm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

they’re playing the winner of Minnesota/OKC. this is called the “play in tournament.”

so if Minnesota wins, the centers they will probably play are: Gobert, Ayton, JJJ (and Adams if he’s back)

well there is no way Denver beats Phoenix . so it will end there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kingcobweb posted:

woah i didnt realize the twolves were so stacked on centers

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

well there is no way Denver beats Phoenix . so it will end there

I’ll be there in person to try my best DeRozan Daughter scream when KD is at the line

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I can’t pay attention to games starting after 9:30 so I was not 100% sure what the west playin situation was I’m sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I’ll be there in person to try my best DeRozan Daughter scream when KD is at the line

you will have plenty of opportunity in the two games in Denver

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

I can’t pay attention to games starting after 9:30 so I was not 100% sure what the west playin situation was I’m sorry

mr president it’s an honor

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fart simpson posted:

sas's advanced stats guy thinks timelord is not only the best player on the celtics, but possibly the best player in the nba. a bunch of other posters on sa think derrick white is the best player on the celtics

I don't think he's the best player in the league, but there's a solid argument that he's so drat good at defense that he's top 20 in the league in terms of helping his team win games. Basically, it's the reverse of the Dame argument that he's so good on one half that it makes up for the lack of scoring output.

Basically, there's a lot of guys who score 20-25 a game and don't play defense who would generally be considered better players but who do less to help their team win night after night.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

according to that one advanced stat called WP, timelord is the #2 best player in the nba

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

fart simpson posted:

“sas‘s advanced stats” what on earth are you talking about

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
WP was made by a total crank. no one takes it seriously

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kingcobweb posted:

“sas‘s advanced stats” what on earth are you talking about

that one guy in sports argument stadium who always talks about advanced stats. he was arguing with me like 2 days ago because i said timelord isnt the best player in the nba

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

before we start using "best" can we agree what "valuable" means lol dear god

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you first. what does it mean

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

before we start using "best" can we agree what "valuable" means lol dear god

oh poo poo someone was trying to talk about something other than MVP. call the stasi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i agree, the only interesting discussions about basketball are about whos the mvp

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

individualism is so strong that nobody even cares about teams anymore, its just about which player is the best

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

i agree, the only interesting discussions about basketball are about whos the mvp

well I won that argument so I guess we need to move on.

Ill go with the best argument but I'll have to take some walks to get some takes.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
anyway with advanced stats nothing in them is some stone argument that “this says x player is The Best” any more than true shooting or usage percentage or block percentage says that some player is The Best. you have to actually understand what the stats are measuring, otherwise it’s just some number with no meaning. stats that include defensive metrics, especially, need to be viewed skeptically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

By viewed skeptically I hope you mean "not view them at all"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah i know and the context you need to view advanced stats in is this: “do i want to pretend im winning a useless argument about sports? then hunt for an advanced stat that confirms what i wanted to say and/or allows me to do a hot take”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

By viewed skeptically I hope you mean "not view them at all"

honestly yeah until there’s better versions of them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Remember when it came out that the defensive advanced stats Jokic fans were using included assists.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The MVP is the player whose team would lose the most games if they were taken off their team and a replacement level player in for their minutes. Timelord is top 20 easily in that definition, maybe top 10.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

Remember when it came out that the defensive advanced stats Jokic fans were using included assists.

how’s your walk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is 100% not the defintion of MVP.

However I could see how you could make an argument about it being a measure of value. Unfortunately it is based on too much make believe to be a valuable construct imho.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 13, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

how’s your walk

I have a head cold today so maybe tomorrow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Azathoth posted:

The MVP is the player whose team would lose the most games if they were taken off their team and a replacement level player in for their minutes. Timelord is top 20 easily in that definition, maybe top 10.

top 20 is what, every team that makes the playoffs has one of those guys?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
In the year 1999, watching games and looking at stats is illegal. Only one man is brave enough to stand up to the corrupt society and campaign for a player to win MVP. Coming this summer: The Podcast Man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

THank you. It is nice to be recognized.

I know Embiid wont mention my name at the press conference, but it would be nice.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

didnt readd any of the last couple of posts

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fart simpson posted:

top 20 is what, every team that makes the playoffs has one of those guys?

Not necessarily, some teams have two or three, some have none, and a few top 20 guys don't make the playoffs. I don't like him, but I also can't argue that Jimmy Butler is easily top 20 and arguably top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Azathoth posted:

Not necessarily, some teams have two or three, some have none, and a few top 20 guys don't make the playoffs. I don't like him, but I also can't argue that Jimmy Butler is easily top 20 and arguably top 10.

if they didn’t even make the playoffs they dont sound like one of the top 20 contributors to winning games, idk