Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a supervillain fighting mall cops, winning is only slightly less embarrassing than losing, and the Monarch cares about his reputation either way. After all, at that point he's actively trying to recruit henchmen, and even with the suicidal idiots he normally gets he needs to look like the real deal.

Ironslave posted:

I've wondered if the lack of fear the Monarch shows in Victor Echo November is a result of overconfidence, contempt, or an understanding of Brock himself. I doubt it's from Guild regulations; the Monarch's never been a Guild guy or put interest in learning their codes, it's always been Sheila's thing to know those details.

Someone put it that it can't even be the dozenth time Brock has held a knife to the Monarch's throat. I think it's how Brock spells it out in The Lepidopterists; they explicitly avoid lethal force against proper villains specifically and villains generally return the favour, because neither side wants to spoil the game by escalating unnecessarily. (And said episode also demonstrates that excessive escalation can be met with fighting dirty, like going after weaker relatives) They're not nice about it, henchmen and even civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time are fair game, and actually killing your arch is considered more of a faux pas than a crime; but Brock is actually probably one of the most sporting of the... protagonists. Hell, he's more reluctant to use a gun than Batman.

The Monarch might not know the specific rules well, at least unless he's motivated enough to study up, but he has a natural knack for the spirit of the game. It's why many of the old-timers take a shine to him- and why he's so dangerous when he's NOT playing around. Incidentally, why he and 21 very sensibly freak out at Red Death; villains are a lot less likely to pull their punches when they're doing things unsanctioned. (Though funnily enough we do pretty much see that the Guild's regulations also apply to villain-on-villain conflicts, hence why the Monarch and Sheila take over Phantom Limb's manor through the Edict of Usurpation, which I'm pretty sure is also how Spider-Skull Island became a Venture holding.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

feetnotes posted:

What about "poo poo! Mall cops!"
I just realized that this is the exact same joke as "poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!" despite having loved both jokes for like a decade+ at this point. I am stupid.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I love that Batman exists in the universe. Hanks, I am bat, delivery is so fun.
Getting Kevin Conroy (:rip:) to voice must have been such a fan boy moment for doc n Jackson.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My favorite is when they got him they were like "ok we're gonna have to really push him to be less reserved to get the performance we want" and then he started doing the voiceover and it immediately pivoted to "hoo buddy ok you're gonna have to tone this down"

WONDERBOOOY

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haha.

Oh I am sad now :smith:.

I hope we hear he got his issues sorted in the movie.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haha.

Oh I am sad now :smith:.

I hope we hear he got his issues sorted in the movie.

He was upset the last time we saw him but that was more because he was at a funeral for a long time nemesis but he seemed to be back in the game.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

deong posted:

I love that Batman exists in the universe. Hanks, I am bat, delivery is so fun.
Getting Kevin Conroy (:rip:) to voice must have been such a fan boy moment for doc n Jackson.

god bless that man!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just realized that this is the exact same joke as "poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we're gonna be on the news!" despite having loved both jokes for like a decade+ at this point. I am stupid.
And this is probably because they're brothers.

Might not be how they intended it, but that's how it reads now and I super love it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t know why but “hide, or we’ll be on the news!” kills me every time.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I always kind of figured that one of the unspoken rules of the whole game is that you don’t end up in the normies lives. Mall cops and the news would be like breaking an NDA or something that forfeits some kind of protection or whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TK-42-1 posted:

I always kind of figured that one of the unspoken rules of the whole game is that you don’t end up in the normies lives. Mall cops and the news would be like breaking an NDA or something that forfeits some kind of protection or whatever.

I think you're overthinking it. There's no way some of the supervillains aren't gonna get into the news here and there, and Jonas Venture was certainly a celebrity of sorts, along with his villains.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I think they just don't want to be on the news because they are sane. Who would want to be on the news? Much less for breaking into Chuck Scarsdale's house?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I found it funny when the news reported the flying cocoon that episode they said a UFO and it's like.. well techincally not wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think they just don't want to be on the news because they are sane. Who would want to be on the news? Much less for breaking into Chuck Scarsdale's house?

Like I said, I think it's specifically they don't wanna be on the news for getting in a fight with mall cops or breaking into a news anchor's house. Being a feared and impressive supervillain is one thing, being Florida Man is another. Even with Level 1 Arching, you're encouraged to make as much of a proper show as you can, even if you're even more literally a glorified LARP than usual.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The whole thing is an excuse for rich guys to play dress-up and do whatever they want while becoming famous ala Watchmen. That loses some of its glamour if you're fighting mall cops

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine if there was a Worldstar video of Green Goblin getting KO'd by a nightclub bouncer or getting chased out of a local celebrity's McMansion during a botched robbery and getting caught in the bushes. He'd never live that poo poo down and Spidey would roast his rear end about it for years to come.

That's why you don't tangle with Mall Cops. It's undignified.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

pablo gbscobar posted:

Imagine if there was a Worldstar video of Green Goblin getting KO'd by a nightclub bouncer or getting chased out of a local celebrity's McMansion during a botched robbery and getting caught in the bushes. He'd never live that poo poo down and Spidey would roast his rear end about it for years to come.

Even when you win, you lose

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When is this dang movie going to be out already??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’ll be out when it releases

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hearing this whole post in Red Mantle's voice thanks to "because they are sane"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The metalocalypse movie is probably coming out before August since the new album and concert are coming out around then. Maybe Venture will be after that sometime but I don’t think it’d be before

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Two heads are better than one!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

hatty posted:

The metalocalypse movie is probably coming out before August since the new album and concert are coming out around then. Maybe Venture will be after that sometime but I don’t think it’d be before

Ooh!

Oooooooohhh

Me likely Metalocalypse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pablo gbscobar posted:

lmao

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
For sure the movie won’t release until after May once they launch the merged version of Discovery+ and HBO Max (it’s just called Max). I imagine it’s part of that slate of content they’re going to use to drive subscriber growth for the rest of the year after the relaunch.

Also switched between this and another thread too quickly and I read this as an in universe Venture Bros arching gone wrong:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1646...agenumber%3D748

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 13, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The initial release is physical and paid digital. Plantasm was released in November and wasn't on HBO Max until Feb, 3 months later.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
movie, full collection, i am going to spend so much money on venture bros merch. i should check to see if the ps4 still works, haven't turned it on in forever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also switched between this and another thread too quickly and I read this as an in universe Venture Bros arching gone wrong:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1646...agenumber%3D748

Was he squished by a giant penny?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The marathon stream on the AS app just played Bright Lights, Dean City. I had forgotten about Lyndon Bee's great line of "you will not seek nor will I accept your escape"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

^^^nice username

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pft. Sounds made-up to me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Pft. Sounds made-up to me.

It's French.

To this day, I use Nick Soapdish every now and then. And, if I say something to someone and they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears, I'll hastily add, "It's French."

I've also tossed out a "It sounds more... made-up to me..." from time to time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I knew someone would pick up on it :shobon:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Phenotype posted:

I think you're overthinking it. There's no way some of the supervillains aren't gonna get into the news here and there, and Jonas Venture was certainly a celebrity of sorts, along with his villains.

Yeah, I thinks less about secrecy and more that there are two sets of laws in play, one for regular crime and one for super crime. Monarch went to prison when Phantom Limb framed him for murdering some cops. Thats a regular crime since the cops weren't in the super hero business, so the guild cant protect him. But he suffered no legal ramifications for trying and failing to rob a bank since a super hero was the one to stop him.

Rusty didn't want be on the news because the context would be "Famous child adventurer and super scientist Rusty Venture caught breaking into local news anchor's mansion."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture, former child star and brother to trillionaire industrialist Jonas Venture Jr, was arraigned today on home invasion charges. Mr. Venture allegedly entered the home of local television personality Chuck Scarsdale, on the belief that the news anchor had kidnapped his son, Henry A. Venture, earlier in the week. Mr. Scarsdale denies these allegations. Unnamed sources purport that Henry Venture also denies that he was kidnapped, claiming he had been in the company of supposed "superhero" Captain Sunshine.

Also arraigned were disgraced gameshow host Peter White and longtime companion William "Billy QuizBoy" Whalen on charges of aggravated assault on a member of Mr. Scarsdale's household staff. Misters White and Whalen allegedly assaulted the employee during entry into the home. The two are best known for their involvement with and disappearance following a late 1980s quiz show scandal, which occurred when Mr. Whalen was a minor. Mr. Whalen later re-emerged and had a role in the State University Applied Physics Lab Explosion that killed faculty member Dr. Hamilton G. Fantomas. No charges were filed in that event.

Three others were taken into custody: Malcolm Fitzcarraldo, Sheila Fitzcarraldo, and Gary Fisher. The three have not been formally charged nor has an explanation been offered as to why the three were in the home or taken into custody.

Equally puzzling is the connection to Mr. Scarsdale's outburst during a live newscast an hour before the arrests were made.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sash! posted:

Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture, former child star and brother to trillionaire industrialist Jonas Venture Jr, was arraigned today on home invasion charges. Mr. Venture allegedly entered the home of local television personality Chuck Scarsdale, on the belief that the news anchor had kidnapped his son, Henry A. Venture, earlier in the week. Mr. Scarsdale denies these allegations. Unnamed sources purport that Henry Venture also denies that he was kidnapped, claiming he had been in the company of supposed "superhero" Captain Sunshine.

Also arraigned were disgraced gameshow host Peter White and longtime companion William "Billy QuizBoy" Whalen on charges of aggravated assault on a member of Mr. Scarsdale's household staff. Misters White and Whalen allegedly assaulted the employee during entry into the home. The two are best known for their involvement with and disappearance following a late 1980s quiz show scandal, which occurred when Mr. Whalen was a minor. Mr. Whalen later re-emerged and had a role in the State University Applied Physics Lab Explosion that killed faculty member Dr. Hamilton G. Fantomas. No charges were filed in that event.

Three others were taken into custody: Malcolm Fitzcarraldo, Sheila Fitzcarraldo, and Gary Fisher. The three have not been formally charged nor has an explanation been offered as to why the three were in the home or taken into custody.

Equally puzzling is the connection to Mr. Scarsdale's outburst during a live newscast an hour before the arrests were made.

:golfclap:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The crash of Chopper5 was quietly swept under the rug.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The promo for Chopper 5 was perfection and so was the reveal that the pilot just naturally talks that way.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
There's some level of obfuscation going on between the public and costumed super-shenanigans--one of the complaints at the renewing of the Treaty of Tolerance was the leaking of photos of costumed mayhem to the tabloids--but it's never been elaborated on how much, to what degree, and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sash! posted:

Greatly enjoying this.