Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Monty Python ending where the big final battle is stopped by Janeway, who just arrests everybody, including walking off set and arresting Terry Matalas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's gonna turn off the fleetwide wifi

Okay, now this would be funny

O'Brien saves the Galaxy Again

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mokinokaro posted:

The Changelings thing makes a lot more sense when you read Matalas' admission they were originally supposed to be the Conspiracy bugs until he realized they murder their hosts.

This would also be such a minor retcon compared to...everything else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's gonna turn off the fleetwide wifi

"Oh fer... who left the password as plain text? Jaysus!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

A real crime not to have Worf beam over to the Defiant and bring it along on Terry Matalas' Wild Ride.

Can’t give Worf a command of his own even though he’s a Captain (apparently a former Enterprise captain at that!) because people only remember him standing behind Picard and blowing poo poo up

I mean ffs they had Geordi take the conn instead of an engineering station. The man is literally back to season 1 status.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

BiggestBatman posted:

Fully arresting this nosedive would take a miracle, but each episode makes it more and more insane they've not gotten colm meaney to show up.

Spoiler: He does in the final episode. After averting the crisis, we learn he's among the fleet and asks to come aboard the Enterprise to say hi to everyone. He transports in, and as he walks up to shake Picard's hand, Vidac- who inexplicably survived- shapshifts from behind him and fires a Varon-T disruptor (also inexplicably acquired) at Picard which hits Miles instead. The rest of the crew gun her down in a volley of phaser fire. And then Riker makes a quip about her being dead and everyone laughs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can’t give Worf a command of his own even though he’s a Captain (apparently a former Enterprise captain at that!) because people only remember him standing behind Picard and blowing poo poo up

I mean ffs they had Geordi take the conn instead of an engineering station. The man is literally back to season 1 status.

Look, the budget didn't extend to an engineering set for the Titan, let alone the 1701-D

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

holefoods posted:

This would also be such a minor retcon compared to...everything else.

It really is utterly missing the forest for the trees

It's hilarious that the Bugs were above any ret-con. Lmao why

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really, really wanted them to put Troi at the helm again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

Look, the budget didn't extend to an engineering set for the Titan, let alone the 1701-D

Yeah they had to build two bars for two different ships instead I guess

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gaz-L posted:

They have a station right at the back for engineering!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Just greenscreen Geordi into a jpeg of the the Enterprise-D warp core. It's basically what they did for the freaky uncanny valley bridge set, I'm sure of it. I doubt anything but the chairs on that bridge was actually real, you'll never convince me otherwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Look someone needs to drive the ship and nobody remembers Ensign Gates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Worf's line about preferring the E would've been better if he finished it off with 'and also I had a chair'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Look someone needs to drive the ship and nobody remembers Ensign Gates.

Shaw (not dead): "Commodore LaForge, um, sir, you shouldn't be at the helm, you belong in your engine room, sir. I'll take the conn"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Computer, early 21st century concrete cinder block and rebar," I say as I shove my head into the replicator alcove and prepare myself for the sweet release of oblivion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Shaw (not dead): "Commodore LaForge, um, sir, you shouldn't be at the helm, you belong in your engine room, sir. I'll take the conn"

Also Riker was supposedly the best pilot on the enterprise. But he's gotta stay in the XO chair because maximum nostalgia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn that was loving awful so let me get this straight The Borg are using the changeling splinter group in order to take over all the young people of Star Trek

Hahahahaha what the actual gently caress.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I haven't watched the new season, but the hate posting in this thread is super entertaining!

PIC Season 1 was pretty rough. It was bearable watching it episode by episode, but by the end it left a really bad impression. New characters were pretty weak, and the non-sense plot that was stretched over the whole season despite it being a 3 episode arc at best.

For PIC S2, I only got about 20 minutes into the first episode. There was the mystery box ship-battle opener, and then a bunch of boring conversations between Jean Luc and some elven house slave. I assumed that the opening scene wouldn't be resolved until the final episode, so I skipped the rest of the season immediately and went to the finale. I was proven right and zero plot and character development was lost as a result of my fast-forward.

From what I've seen here, there's no reason to watch any of PIC S3. Not unless I'm seeking nostalgia - in which case, it's probably smarter just to rewatch the 90s series.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nine-gear crow posted:

I doubt anything but the chairs on that bridge was actually real, you'll never convince me otherwise.

:hai:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarkLich posted:

From what I've seen here, there's no reason to watch any of PIC S3. Not unless I'm seeking nostalgia - in which case, it's probably smarter just to rewatch the 90s series.

Season 3's pretty good until they leave the nebula at the end of episode 4. Just watch the first four eps and it makes for a rather decent open-ended TNG 2-parter that runs weirdly long in the tooth and has a lot of things that just aren't resolved, but hey that was TNG for you. Anything after that is pointless.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

Also Riker was supposedly the best pilot on the enterprise. But he's gotta stay in the XO chair because maximum nostalgia.

Again it really feels like the writers generally have a cliffnotes version of TNG/DS9 and are just going off that

Dominion War: Starfleet released a virus

"Okay viruses tend to kill a lot of people so we assume a load of them died, they'd be mad about that right?" level of stuff

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

hahahahaha

for reasons, the borg changes can only happen if you're under 25

This felt like the result of political discourse frequently mentioning that lately, among Democrats for raising the minimum age of gun ownership, and among Republicans as an excuse to peck away at more trans rights by preventing kids from transitioning on parents' Affordable Care Act health plans -- and given that this is Matalas, you know... The "frontal cortex isn't fully developed until 25" or whatever fact is true, but its mentions in discourse are worrying to me because it seems like they want to extend the age at which one is considered a minor. Some of the people mentioning it in politics would probably have been against lowering the voting age from 21 to 18. So not only do you have something grazing on pro-abridgement of human rights in this episode of Star Trek, here it also doesn't make any sense. They just used it because they needed most of the main cast not to be assimilated.

I don't think the TNG crew in action would've stopped for 15 minutes to admire the ship exterior and then bridge set while all of Starfleet, possibly all of Federation, is partially assimilated.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 13, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They evolved to assimilate less of the population.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TV IV › Modern Star Trek Megathread: Picard's Strange New Zoomer Woke Mind Virus

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

happyhippy posted:

They evolved to assimilate less of the population.

:lol:

Holy poo poo

The Borg became LESS effective over time.

If they wanted this Big Final Borg Battle, why didn't they just use the plot of Star Trek Destiny? Those books were fairly popular if I remember.

Or not do the Borg at all, again?

Lmao that the Changelings infiltrated Starfleet just to modify every transporter in the fleet. gently caress me that's stupid. Also, wouldn't the odds be that most starfleet offices/ enlisted would be older than 25? This would work on what, Cadets? Ensigns?

To say nothing of how species that aren't human (of which Starfleet is made up of at least 135 of those Terry, you massive loving hack.)

Once again HUMANS ARE THE STARFLEET idiocy

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 13, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What's really weird is that Robert Beltran SHOULD have loved this!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

What's really weird is that Robert Beltran SHOULD have loved this!!

Unfortunately, Terry, in his infinite wisdom decided to sell him on the "You're a Nazi stooge and a ceremonial blithering simp to your wife who runs everything and then you die" season instead of the "So the twist is young people are evil and they want to kill anyone over 30 with their woke mind virus" season. Again though, he made the right call going with Prodigy. He only had to record lines for like an hour and probably got paid the same amount as Mulgrew did for it.

That's my one ardent hope about this season, I hope everyone had fun making it and that they all got paid well for it because otherwise, oof

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm willing to give the laughing in the face of death stuff a bit of a pass because they had a 20+ year career of dealing with insanely high stakes life or death situations on a regular basis. Picard and Data have both died twice! Just because the stuff in TNG wasn't presented as darkly doesn't mean that there weren't dozens of situations in which the Enterprise and all the people on it including the children and other civilians nearly exploded. And how many crew members died while the action kept moving on and the main crew was barely affected? In universe we have to assume that the bridge crew didn't think of them as redshirts; they had names, the bridge crew was probably fond of them, particularly the ones stationed on the bridge. I think it's mostly the modern presentation which throws things off. The quips being less in character, more like stuff the actors would say than the characters, that sort of thing. The lack of need to adhere to FCC standards for broadcast (I mean all the gore probably would have been fine on American network tv, they just wouldn't have gotten their 3 fucks (to date).

Imo any of those things would not be deal breakers in their own, oh well, times change etc. But throwing all of it into a blender has resulted in a poo poo smoothie and God knows why any of us are bothering to choke it down.

25 is such a dumb number and I guess they wanted the slightest veneer of plausibility with the who "not fully developed thing" but something like 40 would have made a lot more sense for how much of Starfleet was apparently assimilated.

e: and why the gently caress are there so many callbacks to the TOS movies when this is ostensibly a nostalgia fest for TNG? I guess maybe it's the result of TNG having the TMP theme and the audio motif resulting, but then there's also the TOS sound effects on the bridge and Picard's TOS looking starfleet insignia, plus the whole Neo-Consitution thing.

Anyway standing by my prediction that the Ent-G will be a Neo-Galaxy class because Matalas is clearly a loving hack without an original idea in his entire brain.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 13, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the only good scene this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLD_X-0eVY

but also

same

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Let me write a Short Treks where Worf gets really loving drunk and forgets where he parked the Enterprise-E.

Dude, Where's My Sovereign?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Look, the budget didn't extend to

to me it looks like part of the Picard problem is that they don’t know how to write the show they actually have budget for; the production team wants prestige tv / tng film-level adventure but they end up having to wheel spin for 5 episodes every season or show only the same three sets repeatedly without much in the way of redress to do it. They would have been much better served doing “Picard solves mysteries with his dog” take out of the gate as many others have said, but I guess it’s hard to have that be your flagship show every other year from a marketing standpoint?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Literally the best moment in the season.

Also literally the kids are gonna take over and kill all the olds!

Its still the best season of the series, its trash but it can be entertaining trash.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm just going to assume that Worf's "That wasn't my fault" thing was him warping the Enterprise-E to Gamma Serpentis and getting loving owned by the Living Construct.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nine-gear crow posted:

That's my one ardent hope about this season, I hope everyone had fun making it and that they all got paid well for it because otherwise, oof

I hope everyone was underpaid and making it felt sad and wrong.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm willing to give the laughing in the face of death stuff a bit of a pass because they had a 20+ year career of dealing with insanely high stakes life or death situations on a regular basis. Picard and Data have both died twice! Just because the stuff in TNG wasn't presented as darkly doesn't mean that there weren't dozens of situations in which the Enterprise and all the people on it including the children and other civilians nearly exploded. And how many crew members died while the action kept moving on and the main crew was barely affected?

In Q Who, Picard lost his poo poo and yelled at the Borg when they carved out a piece of the Enterprise that had 13(18?) crewmen in it.

There was an episode where a crewman died on an away mission and Worf had to break the news to her son.

In Schisms, Riker goes out of his way to save a red shirt whose name is mentioned like once in the entire series.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crusader posted:

to me it looks like part of the Picard problem is that they don’t know how to write the show they actually have budget for; the production team wants prestige tv / tng film-level adventure but they end up having to wheel spin for 5 episodes every season or show only the same three sets repeatedly without much in the way of redress to do it. They would have been much better served doing “Picard solves mysteries with his dog” take out of the gate as many others have said, but I guess it’s hard to have that be your flagship show every other year from a marketing standpoint?

I feel all of Picard has multiple mandates:

1) Give the TNG crew a better send off the Nemsisis.
2) But also, set us up for the future.
3) BUT ALSO, be a mystery box.
4) ALSO ALSO, you need to make sure people know you are connect to TOS and the other shows because we think that's what the nerds expect.
5) Say something but not too much, can't make people mad.

It's a show that still so focused on the past that its having a hard time moving to the present.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's appropriate that the final episode is called The Last Generation because I think it's going to be the last time I ever want to see any of these characters on screen ever again (for probably a month and then I'll get over it, but still :lol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Still time for a Dyson sphere reveal