Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

clunky brown shoes / white trainers, generously sized over-washed jeans or dark chinos, "neatly" patterned shirts are popular with zoomers yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The magenta-est blazer you can find

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seinfeld was 90s urban DINK wear. The 80s yuppies who hadn't gone to the 'burbs yet.

Source: was adopted by yuppies who tried very hard to keep that dress style up into the late 90s despite moving to the 'burbs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wasn't Seinfeld's character more of a SINK?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BrainDance posted:

The Seinfeld look I think that most people would remember that would stick out is probably the puffy shirt. Though, that's one of those situations where one minor character trait becomes iconic even though it only makes up a very small part of the character (literally just the episode "The Puffy Shirt.")

nah, like all of his button up shirts were huge and billowing tucked in to heinous jeans. plus the curly mullet or whatever the hell that is

God he's annoying

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

credburn posted:

How old is he there?

It's weird seeing these people as a kid, then becoming their age, then growing past it

Early 40s at best, I still got some time before I become that.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

GoutPatrol posted:

Early 40s at best, I still got some time before I become that.

Maybe you do. Some of us are having one of those existential confrontations with our own mortality here.

:(

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

nah, like all of his button up shirts were huge and billowing tucked in to heinous jeans. plus the curly mullet or whatever the hell that is

God he's annoying

lol that even the show itself found time to make fun of the way the cast used to dress

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Seinfeld ages out of being watchable (for me) the minute you learn he was dating a teenager for part of the run.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not just a teenager—a person enrolled in high school.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not just someone enrolled in high school, someone he knew through friends since she was even younger

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The laugh track is a bigger travesty

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp8tCqwushM

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Elaine was my first celebrity crush. Well her and Lion-O.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

well why not posted:

Seinfeld ages out of being watchable (for me) the minute you learn he was dating a teenager for part of the run.

:thunk:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The show still owns. George is all of us.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Jerry might be a pedo creep and Kramer a racist grump but the actual sitcom holds up incredibly well for the time, both in terms of its humor and its politics. It definitely suffers from 90s foreigner stereotypes but they're never the joke. The fat jokes about Newman are by far the most egregious thing, but they also literally get their comeuppance in the end directly due to their fatphobia.

No one will ever make a four camera sitcom that good ever again. Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are loving legends.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Literally every time I watch Seinfeld I spend most of it in awe at Julia Louis-Dreyfus and her comic range and expressiveness.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MokBa posted:

Jerry might be a pedo creep and Kramer a racist grump but the actual sitcom holds up incredibly well for the time, both in terms of its humor and its politics. It definitely suffers from 90s foreigner stereotypes but they're never the joke. The fat jokes about Newman are by far the most egregious thing, but they also literally get their comeuppance in the end directly due to their fatphobia.

Well unless your Puerto Rican, then it's open season.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brawnfire posted:

Literally every time I watch Seinfeld I spend most of it in awe at Julia Louis-Dreyfus and her comic range and expressiveness.

Honestly she's the most underrated of the main cast members.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Push El Burrito posted:

I'd read that fanfic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"What's the deal with Mum-Ra?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Elain-O.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

been reading about Lawrence Tierney's time on set for Seinfeld as Elaine's dad, The Simpsons as the Try-and-Save security guy, and Reservoir Dogs as the boss. I would say that guy didn't age well, but turns out he was a batshit crazy abusive drunk for his entire career.

He tried to steal a knife from Jerry's apartment set, got mad when the audience laughed at his lines, and Larry David would threaten the cast and crew to bring him back for another episode because everyone was terrified of him. He got into a fistfight with Tarantino, hated Michael Madsen for no reason, and bullied Chris Penn into accepting lawn furniture he didn't need while stealing random poo poo off of restaurant tables. The Simpsons writers were so afraid of him they would hide under their desks when he was around, and the driver who took him in refused to take him back home. Basically his grumpy old crazy guy roles were not an act.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:effort:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
God drat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

If I had seen this as a child I would have wept because I would know I was too old for him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

hawowanlawow posted:

been reading about Lawrence Tierney's time on set for Seinfeld as Elaine's dad, The Simpsons as the Try-and-Save security guy, and Reservoir Dogs as the boss. I would say that guy didn't age well, but turns out he was a batshit crazy abusive drunk for his entire career.

He tried to steal a knife from Jerry's apartment set, got mad when the audience laughed at his lines, and Larry David would threaten the cast and crew to bring him back for another episode because everyone was terrified of him. He got into a fistfight with Tarantino, hated Michael Madsen for no reason, and bullied Chris Penn into accepting lawn furniture he didn't need while stealing random poo poo off of restaurant tables. The Simpsons writers were so afraid of him they would hide under their desks when he was around, and the driver who took him in refused to take him back home. Basically his grumpy old crazy guy roles were not an act.

This guy was just an rear end in a top hat from the get go. Pretty much a 40's version of Tom Sizemore.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Push El Burrito posted:

I feel like when the show was out I thought Elaine was cute, but not terribly remarkable. Rewatching it now though and she looks absolutely amazing. It also seems like that's a consensus among people nowadays when it wasn't in the 90s. Is that just confirmation bias or have styles changed to better suit her, or does it just have something to do with watching it at a formative age?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

Also on The Simpsons he really didn't understand the phone call joke and they had to trick him to do it the way they wanted.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ClothHat posted:

I feel like when the show was out I thought Elaine was cute, but not terribly remarkable. Rewatching it now though and she looks absolutely amazing. It also seems like that's a consensus among people nowadays when it wasn't in the 90s. Is that just confirmation bias or have styles changed to better suit her, or does it just have something to do with watching it at a formative age?

I think it's just a thing with characters who were written to be kind of annoying but were played by actors who were clearly very attractive people. See also Fran Drescher in The Nanny

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ClothHat posted:

Younger Me didn't think much of her either, but rewatching clips recently have made me realize that Younger Me was an idiot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ClothHat posted:

JLD is still hot and Elaine’s outfits are not flattering. I think a lot of people watched Veep and were like “wait a second…did she always look this good?”

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
She's a billionaire, too, isn't she?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

She's a billionaire, too, isn't she?

Idk if it's that much but she was born rich.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muscles like this! posted:

Also on The Simpsons he really didn't understand the phone call joke and they had to trick him to do it the way they wanted.

Yeah, he straight up refused to say the lines because the joke (it sounds from Bart's end like he's having a conversation with Marge but he's just leaving a voicemail) didn't make sense to him. They ended up just writing the other half of what that conversation would have been and told him they changed it. I'm not sure how they got him to say "they weren't home."

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

How old is he there?

It's weird seeing these people as a kid, then becoming their age, then growing past it

We were watching this old, if the time video about Douglas Adams and I was staggered when I looked up his age at the time this was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2vDmgiEaM

He was 33! Is it me or does he like at least 10 years older than that....why did everyone from the eighties look so much older?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1643986134320685056?s=20

lots to chew on here, but what's especially funny about this is that girl boss peach isn't remotely a new thing. she was a playable character in smb2, had her own title with super princess peach, and repeatedly saved the mario bros. in every single one of the 90s cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

He looks different. Like a new man.

Maybe he had a long knight