Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For all the fear conservatives and many liberals have about random violent crime it sure seems like nearly every murder victim knew the person who murdered them. What percentage of murders are by/of strangers? It has to be getting to a point where being killed in mass shootings isn’t much less common than being killed in a mugging or home invasion, right?

This page only ascribes about 1500 murders to “strangers” in 2021 but over 8k are classified as “unknown” so I guess it’s a little uncertain what the exact figure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think it's contradictory to say regarding the antisemite Lous Farrakhan, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them" and also that the white/conservative media especially way overstates his influence in order to have a easy punching bag and direct attention away from far more prevalent forms of racism

This was the point I was trying to make put way better.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mellow Seas posted:

For all the fear conservatives and many liberals have about random violent crime it sure seems like nearly every murder victim knew the person who murdered them. What percentage of murders are by/of strangers? It has to be getting to a point where being killed in mass shootings isn’t much less common than being killed in a mugging or home invasion, right?

This page only ascribes about 1500 murders to “strangers” in 2021 but over 8k are classified as “unknown” so I guess it’s a little uncertain what the exact figure is.

The FBI says they don't have relationship data for about half of all murders (47% are "unknown") because it isn't normally a checkbox in the reporting that people keep records of. But, they say that only about 11% of murders take place by total strangers.

Some other sources say between 15% and 25%.

Being a "wife or romantic partner" to the murderer is the #1 far and away most likely murder scenario.

According to the FBI, if you aren't in a relationship with/living with a man and aren't involved in the illegal drug trade or living in an area where the illegal drug trade has significant activity, then you will basically never be murdered in America.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The FBI says they don't have relationship data for about half of all murders (47% are "unknown") because it isn't normally a checkbox in the reporting that people keep records of. But, they say that only about 11% of murders take place by total strangers.

Some other sources say between 15% and 25%.

Being a "wife or romantic partner" to the murderer is the #1 far and away most likely murder scenario.

According to the FBI, if you aren't in a relationship with/living with a man and aren't involved in the illegal drug trade or living in an area where the illegal drug trade has significant activity, then you will basically never be murdered in America.

"Living or in a relationship with a man" is such a massive group, even then it's close to zero. ( Though I am now deeply curious about the amount of wlw murdering their partners. )

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 5th circuit partially upheld the ruling by the crazy Texas judge last night 2-1. They are ordering a mail ban of the drug and saying that doctors cannot use it after 7 weeks

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1646476977744801792?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

How does this interact with the "don't change anything" order, which didn't come from the 5th circuit?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twincityhacker posted:

"Living or in a relationship with a man" is such a massive group, even then it's close to zero. ( Though I am now deeply curious about the amount of wlw murdering their partners. )

Yeah, any random individual is not very likely to be murdered at all in America.

But, among the group that does constitute murder victims, a majority of them were killed by a man they knew.

Twincityhacker posted:

( Though I am now deeply curious about the amount of wlw murdering their partners. )

There's a study from the Bureau of Justice Statistics in 2021 that does include "girlfriend/wife" as one of the factors for women murdered by an intimate partner, but it doesn't break down the data in more detail.

There was at least one in 2021, but they don't really break it down beyond the fact that at least one was counted.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/female-murder-victims-and-victim-offender-relationship-2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

How does this interact with the "don't change anything" order, which didn't come from the 5th circuit?

The other ruling said the FDA can't pull the drug from the market.

The appeals court threw out the decision from the Judge in the 5th circuit saying the FDA had to pull it from the market immediately. But, said that the new rules the Biden administration put into place (you can be mailed the drug without visiting a doctor or pharmacy in-person and expanding the approval for usage timeframe from 7 weeks to 10 weeks) have to be paused while they case goes through court.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Rush Limbaugh talked about Louis Farrakhan all the time. I even remember some of the lyrics to the parody of "The Candyman" the show made about him.

The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
FTC has sent a notice to around 680 companies in the OTC drug and supplement sectors putting them on notice for unsupported health claims. This is not the same as a formal accusation, but it's laying the groundwork so that if FTC follows up with a formal proceeding against any one of the companies, there's no question of that the company is deliberately violating the law.

This is potentially huge, as it signals enforcement of a standard that companies selling, in particular, dietary supplements, actually have to have evidence to substantiate the euphemistic "supports memory" type structure-function claims they make on their products...and FTC basically requires high-quality scientific studies. FTC also posted the list of companies.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is some language that I hadn’t heard before from the lawsuit to cancel approval of mifepristone:

NYT posted:

In their lawsuit, the abortion opponents claim that mifepristone is unsafe, causing “cramping, heavy bleeding and severe pain,” and that the F.D.A. has ignored safety risks and never adequately evaluated the scientific evidence.

Can’t believe this pill that essentially gives you a period, on purpose, causes cramps, bleeding and severe pain! :monocle:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The other ruling said the FDA can't pull the drug from the market.

The appeals court threw out the decision from the Judge in the 5th circuit saying the FDA had to pull it from the market immediately. But, said that the new rules the Biden administration put into place (you can be mailed the drug without visiting a doctor or pharmacy in-person and expanding the approval for usage timeframe from 7 weeks to 10 weeks) have to be paused while they case goes through court.

That's not quite right. The other ruling barred the FDA from "altering the status quo and rights as it relates to the availability of Mifepristone". The 5th Circuit's changes may not be a full ban, but they still alter the status quo and therefore conflict with that order.

As for how the two orders interact, I think that's up to SCOTUS. The 5th Circuit's ruling doesn't go into effect until Saturday, and the case has already been emergency appealed to SCOTUS, which will probably put a longer stay on one of those orders.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Mellow Seas posted:

This is some language that I hadn’t heard before from the lawsuit to cancel approval of mifepristone:

Can’t believe this pill that essentially gives you a period, on purpose, causes cramps, bleeding and severe pain! :monocle:

Man, wait until they hear about the potential side effects of forced pregnancy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

FTC has sent a notice to around 680 companies in the OTC drug and supplement sectors putting them on notice for unsupported health claims. This is not the same as a formal accusation, but it's laying the groundwork so that if FTC follows up with a formal proceeding against any one of the companies, there's no question of that the company is deliberately violating the law.

This is potentially huge, as it signals enforcement of a standard that companies selling, in particular, dietary supplements, actually have to have evidence to substantiate the euphemistic "supports memory" type structure-function claims they make on their products...and FTC basically requires high-quality scientific studies. FTC also posted the list of companies.

I'm surprised by some of the names on here. There's a ton of "Natural Wellness" companies of course, but big names like Bayer, Astra-Zeneca, and BASF are all on there, which you would think they would already be under a lot of scrutiny.

The one that jumped out at me is IMCD, which means nothing to most people but they're a chemical distributor I have worked with in the past that I don't think really do their own active marketing outside of what the sales people take from the original manufacturers and give out to people. So it sounds like they might be pushing distributors to verify claims as well as penalizing their original suppliers.

E. Coke and Pepsi are on there too which I'll bet is because of all the marketing around sport drinks.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not quite right. The other ruling barred the FDA from "altering the status quo and rights as it relates to the availability of Mifepristone". The 5th Circuit's changes may not be a full ban, but they still alter the status quo and therefore conflict with that order.

No. Rice only ruled on not allowing any changes in access in just the states that sued. It does not conflict with the 5th district order as of yet. That is why the FDA has not appealed or really engaged with Judge Rice's order, but has already appealed Judge Kacsmaryk's ruling.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Discendo Vox posted:

I hadn't seen this yet, but this is excellent news, thank you.

Edit:

CuddleCryptid posted:

E. Coke and Pepsi are on there too which I'll bet is because of all the marketing around sport drinks.

They also could be on there because they have long marketed their flavored Diet/artificially-sweetened beverages as being 0 calorie, up to and including the nutritional label, but in reality, depending on the flavoring used, it actually does have some calories, including at times enough to go over the limits set for what constitutes "zero calorie".

Ironically you can see Coke starting to self-correct on this a little bit, with their Freestyle machines.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 13, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The big drug and food companies are probably on the list because they own dietary supplement companies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SourKraut posted:

I hadn't seen this yet, but this is excellent news, thank you.

Edit:

They also could be on there because they have long marketed their flavored Diet/artificially-sweetened beverages as being 0 calorie, up to and including the nutritional label, but in reality, depending on the flavoring used, it actually does have some calories, including at times enough to go over the limits set for what constitutes "zero calorie".

Ironically you can see Coke starting to self-correct on this a little bit, with their Freestyle machines.

throwing the bolded on the pile of "probably reasonable agency rules that sound silly when described in a vacuum"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

throwing the bolded on the pile of "probably reasonable agency rules that sound silly when described in a vacuum"

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Yeah it would be pretty silly for them to go "you have 5.0001 Calories instead of 4.9999 Calories" but let that start to slip and suddenly something that is 50 calories has none.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the threshold is 5 kcal, and it's both measurement inconsistency, actual production inconsistency, physical possibility, and "it's 4.999 calories, it doesn't matter". I think the only context where it gets exploited is tictacs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I believe the current rule is if a serving is less than 5 calories, then you can say it is a 0 calorie item.

I sadly had to learn this a few years ago when my beloved Diet Snapple said 0 calories on the glass jar, but 5 calories on the plastic jug version and I wanted to check if they changed the ingredients.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mitch might be on the way out after his fall.

Rick Scott's fishing line tripwire near the stairs finally paid off.

John Barrasso, John Cornyn, John Thune, and Rick Scott are all said to be reaching out to people for support in a leadership vote (although that doesn't necessarily mean they are running to be minority leader. If anyone from current leadership becomes speaker, then it will also open up leadership spots).

There is a nearly 100% chance that John will be the next Senate Minority Leader.

https://twitter.com/bdomenech/status/1646546322382569474

quote:

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell has been out of the public eye for weeks, following a serious fall that hospitalized him. Now multiple sources confirm that Senators John Barrasso of Wyoming, John Cornyn of Texas and John Thune of South Dakota are actively reaching out to fellow Republican senators in efforts to prepare for an anticipated leadership vote — a vote that would occur upon announcement that McConnell would be retiring from his duties as leader, and presumably the Senate itself.

One source says that Cornyn has been particularly active in his preparations, taking fellow senators with whom he has little in common to lunch in attempts to court them.

Requests are being targeted at a plethora of conservative senators, including the sixteen who voted to delay the leadership election earlier this year, a proxy for opposition to McConnell’s leadership. Rick Scott, the Florida senator and former NRSC head who challenged McConnell, ultimately received ten protest votes. These members could prove key to determining the next Republican leader. Queries are also being made internally about the rules regarding replacement, and how the contest would be structured given the lack of an obvious heir apparent.

McConnell fell at a dinner event for the Senate Leadership Fund on March 8 at the Waldorf Astoria, formerly the Trump Hotel, in Washington, DC. He suffered a concussion, and only after being treated at a hospital and at his home did murmurs begin that he might be unable to return to the Senate. These discussions increased in volume based on the inability of other senators to do their jobs — with California’s Dianne Feinstein missing votes due to a shingles diagnosis and John Fetterman of Pennsylvania’s hospitalization for depression.

McConnell has guided the Republican Senate since 2007, and his role at the top of the party has been enormously significant. As the longest serving Senate Party Leader in history, he has been both a target for critics of the Republican establishment and a skilled leader in the judicial nomination fights that became one of the most important battlefields in Washington. His departure from the role of Republican leader would leave a massive vacuum, one that could be filled by Barrasso, Cornyn, Thune or potentially a dark horse ambitious enough to seize the moment.

McConnell is a giant in the history of the Senate — and much as many may question his methods, his departure from leadership would create new chaos for the GOP. Cockburn has reached out to Senator McConnell’s office for comment.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1646581401167298564

Direct financial transactions with Crow that Thomas didn't report, not just free vacations. Real estate purchases well above market value and uncompensated improvements to his mother's home.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Pentagon leaker has been taken into custody, and it's some 21-year-old Air National Guardsman. Hard to imaging he doesn't get hit with sedition charges.

Imagine betraying your country for some clout on your gaming server.

https://apnews.com/article/leaked-documents-pentagon-justice-department-russia-war-d3272b34702d564fe07a480598bcd174

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts Air National Guard member who has emerged as a main person of interest in the disclosure of highly classified military documents on the Ukraine war was taken into custody Thursday by federal agents, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity because it hadn’t been publicly announced.

Investigators believe that the guardsman, who specializes in intelligence, led the online chat group where the documents were posted. The guardsman was identified as 21-year-old Jack Teixeira.

FBI agents converged Thursday at Teixeira’s Massachusetts home and heavily armed tactical agents took a man wearing a T-shirt and shorts into custody outside the property. Attorney General Merrick Garland was set to formally announce the arrest on Thursday afternoon.

It was not immediately clear if Teixeira had a lawyer who could speak on his behalf, and a phone message left at a number believed to belong to his mother was not immediately returned.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The Pentagon leaker has been taken into custody, and it's some 21-year-old Air National Guardsman. Hard to imaging he doesn't get hit with sedition charges.

Imagine betraying your country for some clout on your gaming server.

https://apnews.com/article/leaked-documents-pentagon-justice-department-russia-war-d3272b34702d564fe07a480598bcd174

There is basically a 0% chance he gets sedition charges unless there is some conspiracy far deeper than what we already know.

He will definitely get hit with a ton of computer crimes, document theft, and unauthorized disclosure charges.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What was Manning initially charged with, and then ultimately convicted of?

Because it sounds p. much the same.

eta: I've read (I think the nyt) that some of the (current) documents from the leak were falsified. Did this guy falsify them, too?

etaa: Biden said there was nothing important in the leak; I wonder if that'll affect the charges:

quote:

President Joe Biden on Thursday said while he was concerned that sensitive government documents had been leaked, “there’s nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of that is of great consequence.”

(from a sidebar link to the ap's story about the arrest)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

There is basically a 0% chance he gets sedition charges unless there is some conspiracy far deeper than what we already know.

He will definitely get hit with a ton of computer crimes, document theft, and unauthorized disclosure charges.

Right, I had a brain fart there and meant to say treason, though maybe that's also unlikely.

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: I've read (I think the nyt) that some of the (current) documents from the leak were falsified. Did this guy falsify them, too?

What I specifically heard on a podcast yesterday was that some of the counts for Russian and Ukrainian casualties had been altered by the leaker prior to being leaked. For what purpose wasn't made explicitly clear, though (or I've forgotten what it was). Could be they made more alterations, too, but I don't know if that's been disclosed yet.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: I've read (I think the nyt) that some of the documents were falsified. Did this guy falsify them, too?

The initial charges were all random UCMJ violations. She was also court marshalled, so the potential charges and process is different.

This guy is being prosecuted by the DOJ.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Treason also requires him to somehow help someone purposefully to defeat or harm the US. It’s a stretch to say that here.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The initial charges were all random UCMJ violations. She was also court marshalled, so the potential charges and process is different.

This guy is being prosecuted by the DOJ.

Yah, I looked up her wiki:

quote:

Manning was charged with 22 offenses, including aiding the enemy, which was the most serious charge and could have resulted in a death sentence.[15] She was held at the Marine Corps Brig, Quantico in Virginia, from July 2010 to April 2011, under Prevention of Injury status—which entailed de facto solitary confinement and other restrictions that caused domestic and international concern[16]—before being transferred to the Joint Regional Correctional Facility at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where she could interact with other detainees.[17] She pleaded guilty in February 2013 to 10 of the charges.[18] The trial on the remaining charges began on June 3, 2013, and on July 30, she was convicted of 17 of the original charges and amended versions of four others, but was acquitted of aiding the enemy.[19] She was sentenced to 35 years at the maximum-security U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth.

Yikes, I didn't realize she was facing the d.p.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

etaa: Biden said there was nothing important in the leak; I wonder if that'll affect the charges:

(from a sidebar link to the ap's story about the arrest)

I don't think any of them were actually falsified by him. After the leak, some people were circulating a faked version of one of the documents where they had swapped the amount of Ukrainians and Russians killed to make it look like Ukraine had lost 4x as many people.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Right, I had a brain fart there and meant to say treason, though maybe that's also unlikely.

What I heard on a podcast yesterday was that some of the counts for Russian and Ukrainian casualties had been allegedly altered by the leaker prior to being leaked. For what purpose wasn't made explicitly clear, though (or I've forgotten what it was).

I don't believe they were confirmed to be altered by him because the original unaltered document was also leaked and they didn't know who this guy was until today.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Is there a possibility he’ll get hit with espionage? He leaked poo poo directly to foreign nationals. Was he trying to do that specifically? Probably not.
But uh. Sure is giving classified info to foreign nationals in return for something … just that something being discord cred.

I thought trump telling people national secrets at mar a lago for clout was the pettiest form of espionage, but drat. This guy wins.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is there a possibility he’ll get hit with espionage? He leaked poo poo directly to foreign nationals. Was he trying to do that specifically? Probably not.
But uh. Sure is giving classified info to foreign nationals in return for something … just that something being discord cred.

I thought trump telling people national secrets at mar a lago for clout was the pettiest form of espionage, but drat. This guy wins.

Extremely unlikely unless there is something bigger that is not public yet. Espionage requires intent to aid a foreign power and basically nobody has been successfully convicted of espionage in decades without literally working for a foreign government.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The AP story has been updated with charges:

quote:

AG: Guardsman to be charged with removing classified info

He will be charged with unauthorized removal of classified national defense information, Garland said, and will have an initial court appearance in federal court in Massachusetts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I would think that espionage requires both intent and directly sending it to someone rather than just leaking it to a group of nobodies and then having it later get leaked everywhere, but I could be wrong.

It will be interesting to see the court case for this where his lawyer will have to take up the "your honor, my client is a loving idiot" defense.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I don't think any of them were actually falsified by him. After the leak, some people were circulating a faked version of one of the documents where they had swapped the amount of Ukrainians and Russians killed to make it look like Ukraine had lost 4x as many people.

This is from Bloomberg, and parallels what I'd read elsewhere:

quote:

The leaked trove of classified US documents on Ukraine is a mixture of true, false and outdated information, the country’s Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov said. The leak would clearly appear to benefit Russia and its supporters, he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-latest-us-document-leaker-090646907.html

edit: Yah, all the sources are Ukraine, which is understandable.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3941432-ukraine-suggests-russia-altered-leaked-us-intelligence-documents/

quote:

Ukraine on Sunday accused Russia of altering the Pentagon documents that have surfaced on social media in an apparent U.S. intelligence leak.

“In recent decades, the most successful operations of the Russian special services took place in Photoshop,” Ukrainian Defense Ministry’s intelligence directorate representative Adriy Yusov said in televised remarks posted to the directorate’s website.

The leaked documents include details on U.S. aid to Ukraine and Kyiv’s military activities, but experts have noted discrepancies that call the documents’ accuracy into question.

“From the preliminary analysis of these materials, we see false figures on losses from both sides,” Yusov said.

In some of the documents, estimates of Russian troop deaths have been noted to be significantly lower than the figures given by U.S. officials, according to the Associated Press.

Yusov also sought to downplay concerns raised in the documents about Ukrainian ammunition supplies and air defense capabilities, saying “it is not a secret for anyone that Ukraine asks questions about aviation, tanks, ammunition and other things.”

From another Ukraine official.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would think that espionage requires both intent and directly sending it to someone rather than just leaking it to a group of nobodies and then having it later get leaked everywhere, but I could be wrong.

It will be interesting to see the court case for this where his lawyer will have to take up the "your honor, my client is a loving idiot" defense.

You are correct that espionage charges require intent to aid a foreign government.

Some people get confused because there are technically provisions of the 1917 Espionage Act that you can get charged with without actually being charged with Espionage. So, someone can be "charged under the Espionage Act" without actually being charged with espionage itself.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I suspect there's plenty of supporting evidence for that defense, if they choose to pursue it. Found via his Steam profile, for fucks sake. :allears:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Right, there were faked things included in the huge trove that was released recently. But, I don't think they ever actually confirmed he was faking those documents. They didn't know who he was until today and the documents he had been leaking were in a Discord over a period of time. He didn't drop all of them yesterday.

If I missed that somewhere and they confirmed that he was faking them, then let me know.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You are correct that espionage charges require intent to aid a foreign government.

Some people get confused because there are technically provisions of the 1917 Espionage Act that you can get charged with without actually being charged with Espionage. So, someone can be "charged under the Espionage Act" without actually being charged with espionage itself.

The fact that he explained what the term "NOFORN' that was stamped on a doc he uploaded to a server with multinationals on it including from Russia to one of the kids on the server seems pretty knowingly and intentionally breaking the law to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oracle posted:

The fact that he explained what the term "NOFORN' that was stamped on a doc he uploaded to a server with multinationals on it including from Russia to one of the kids on the server seems pretty knowingly and intentionally breaking the law to me.

It is absolutely breaking the law, but it would have to be something much more direct connecting him to wanting to aid a foreign government to reach the level of espionage. Essentially nobody has been successfully convicted of an espionage charge (and it is rarely brought as a charge) without directly working with a foreign national or government.

It's in the same legal vein as "spreading rumors about someone to ruin their business is slander," but getting charged and convicted for slander in U.S. law is extremely difficult because it requires enormous burdens of proof and malicious intent.