Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Why am I unsurprised that a John Bircher started spying for the soviets

re:Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol. Just got the DoD-wide bcc "Don't post access or download classified material on Discord! gently caress!" email from the deputy sec def. A lot of folks are running around with their asses on fire over this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

shame on an IGA posted:

Why am I unsurprised that a John Bircher started spying for the soviets

re:Walker
They shared a common foe so why not team up?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol. Just got the DoD-wide bcc "Don't post access or download classified material on Discord! gently caress!" email from the deputy sec def. A lot of folks are running around with their asses on fire over this.
Same. It annoys me to no end they wait so long to put this out. It makes me wonder whether they just found out this morning or it took days to write the memo.

6 January was even worse. I'm still seething over the time it took to elicit a response from our leadership and the "totally not check-the-box" anti-extremism training poo poo out months later. Spoiler: It was totally dogshit check-the-box anti-extremism training, and the punchline is that even that limp response was dismantled.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Bell_ posted:

Same. It annoys me to no end they wait so long to put this out. It makes me wonder whether they just found out this morning or it took days to write the memo.

6 January was even worse. I'm still seething over the time it took to elicit a response from our leadership and the "totally not check-the-box" anti-extremism training poo poo out months later. Spoiler: It was totally dogshit check-the-box anti-extremism training, and the punchline is that even that limp response was dismantled.

That's odd considering how well the training after Tailhook went

it did not

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1646544844158894083?t=TAz5rJGYMShHNrLCL0rWIQ&s=19

The NYT has a name.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Was the second half, "Also, if you happen to know what this 'Discord' is, please prepare a powerpoint and forward it to your chain of command"?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

And indeed, a photo https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1646544312170053633

Bad times in the Massachusetts Air National Guard.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wonder if this dude is out of the country yet.

Edit: cuz if not he is deeply hosed

Artificer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 13, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Artificer posted:

Wonder if this dude is out of the country yet.

The New York Times posted:

Airman Teixeira’s mother, Dawn, speaking outside her home in Massachusetts on Thursday, confirmed that her son was a member of the Air National Guard and said he had recently been working overnight shifts at a base on Cape Cod. In the last few days, he had changed his phone number, she said.

Later, someone who appeared to be Airman Teixeira drove onto the property in a red pickup truck.

When Times reporters approached the house again, the truck was parked in the driveway. Airman Teixeira’s mother and a man were standing outside in the driveway.

When asked if Airman Teixeira was there and willing to speak, the man said: "He needs to get an attorney if things are flowing the way they are going right now. The Feds will be around soon, I’m sure."

Sure doesn't sound like it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That poor dumb motherfucker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

And indeed, a photo https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1646544312170053633

Bad times in the Massachusetts Air National Guard.

Massachusetts Air National Guard Airman, codename MANGA

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Racist, anti-semitic idiot dogfucker. I hope he gets caught and put away for this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dumber than dirt for sure, but I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy professionally or personally. You cannot possibly accidentally perform what he has, and reporting on the Discord is that it's some heinously bigoted poo poo all around.

gently caress 'em. Play stupid, hateful rear end in a top hat games win stupid, hateful rear end in a top hat prizes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am curious: Listing a full name and uncensored picture of a suspected criminal would not be allowed in Germany as far as I know, unless it is a public figure maybe. Are there no laws for this in the US or is this a case of "public interest outweighs privacy rights"?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hopper posted:

I am curious: Listing a full name and uncensored picture of a suspected criminal would not be allowed in Germany as far as I know, unless it is a public figure maybe. Are there no laws for this in the US or is this a case of "public interest outweighs privacy rights"?

As far as I know any laws against this would be struck down on free speech and free press grounds. I think there is a vestigial sense of journalistic ethics not to report names if they are minors, but that's about it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hopper posted:

I don't think the US has any safeguards against that sort of thing. You can have a TV show just straight up call a defendant/suspect guilty before and during the trial. It's insane how unprotected trials/investigations are.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He’s gonna suck start his favorite firearm. Betrayal of his country on him for being a super patriot is gonna crack his mind. He’s 21, basically a mental child.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hopper posted:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think the US has any safeguards against that sort of thing. You can have a TV show just straight up call a defendant/suspect guilty before and during the trial. It's insane how unprotected trials/investigations are.

See also publicly posted mugshots

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Crab Dad posted:

He’s gonna suck start his favorite firearm. Betrayal of his country on him for being a super patriot is gonna crack his mind. He’s 21, basically a mental child.

Not that I think it's unlikely, but I'm not sure he'll see it as betrayal.

From wapo

quote:

But OG had a dark view of the government. The young member said he spoke of the United States, and particularly law enforcement and the intelligence community, as a sinister force that sought to suppress its citizens and keep them in the dark. He ranted about “government overreach.”

OG told his online companions that the government hid horrible truths from the public. He claimed, according to the members, that the government knew in advance that a white supremacist intended to go on a shooting rampage at a Buffalo supermarket in May 2022. The attack left 10 dead, all of them Black, and wounded three more. OG said federal law enforcement officials let the killings proceed so they could argue for increased funding, a baseless notion that the member said he believes and considers an example of OG’s penetrating insights about the depth of government corruption.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Personally I hope he gets to write a book when he gets out.
“45 Years of Breaking Big Rocks into Small Rocks”.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Alex Jones would definitely be in prison in Germany. He's committing actual crimes on like every single show.

It would go kind of like this: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/a-small-town-became-the-center-of-a-qanon-storm-now-its-fighting-back/

e: Hold on, this is now the second time I've posted something in the wrong thread this week. :psyduck:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 13, 2023

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

By that same token I don't think he'll grasp the finality of his mistake. Otherwise, yeah, if his life's permafucked. (except if in this hell dimension, he'll get pardoned by the second Trump administration or gets to Russia :v: )

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dude apparently hung out in racist Discord groups. So being a dumb motherfucker comes natural.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Crab Dad posted:

He’s 21, basically a mental child.
Age is just a number. In my late forties, I still am.

But gently caress that guy.

I wonder whether that community will try to rehabilitate his reputation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xakura posted:

See also publicly posted mugshots

Yeah but those convicted people aren't they?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

No, just arrested.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hopper posted:

Nah, just arrested. On the one hand there is a strong civil liberties argument that the police shouldn't be allowed to arrest people secretly and publishing photos holds them accountable. On the other hand in high school we'd look up the mugshots every weekend and pass around printouts of our classmate's mugshots.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yep, allegations are basically equivalent to guilt to the public.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hopper posted:

On the flip side, the German government tried to prosecute FT journalists who uncovered the Wirecard scandal. Soooo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Glenn Greenwald deserves to be ostracized anyways.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1646487454059249666?s=46

Yup.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's hard to conceive of a possibly less sympathetic leaker or set of circumstances and that seems to be reflected in how basically everyone is handling this

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We got a lot closer to Clancychat than was admitted or reported at the time. Remember that British surveillance plane that had a missile fired near it?

Yeah it wasn't an accident. It was intentional. The pilot misinterpreted what ground radar operators told him and he thought he had permission to fire. The missile was locked on and targeted correctly and the only thing that averted likely nuclear escalation is that the missile malfunctioned and failed to fire properly.

Phew.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1646298946552352768?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Could have amounted to an act of war” it says. I feel like firing at a plane with intent to kill it pretty much is an act of war even if your equipment fails, but I’m not a war lawyer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Subjunctive posted:

“Could have amounted to an act of war” it says. I feel like firing at a plane with intent to kill it pretty much is an act of war even if your equipment fails, but I’m not a war lawyer.

I think it's really more a matter of national intent vs individual fuckup.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

HonorableTB posted:

We got a lot closer to Clancychat than was admitted or reported at the time. Remember that British surveillance plane that had a missile fired near it?

Yeah it wasn't an accident. It was intentional. The pilot misinterpreted what ground radar operators told him and he thought he had permission to fire. The missile was locked on and targeted correctly and the only thing that averted likely nuclear escalation is that the missile malfunctioned and failed to fire properly.
I don't think nuclear escalation was a particularly likely outcome of a surveillance plane getting shot down.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You wouldn't see nukes just an upsurge in sending aid to ukraine I'm sure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I could definitely have seen the NATO fighters patrolling the area immediately engaging the Russian flight that fired, as the RC-135 invoked its inherent right to self defense.

e: Welp, that was fast:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...&smid=url-share

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

psydude posted:

I could definitely have seen the NATO fighters patrolling the area immediately engaging the Russian flight that fired, as the RC-135 invoked its inherent right to self defense.[/url]

Well yeah, that’s an easy case of Scan Your Ground Doctrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hopper posted:

the US doesn't have general privacy regulations in the same way Europe does. you only have privacy protections where an expectation of privacy exists, and those don't extend to people accused of committing federal crimes.