Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

OctaMurk posted:

the other people on the discord are probably all fine and didnt actually commit any crimes. Most of them are literally kids lol. the kid who took the pics and leaked them even further might be in trouble though

It was a pretty openly racist and hostile Discord server so I dunno if I'd call it "fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

the other people on the discord are probably all fine and didnt actually commit any crimes. Most of them are literally kids lol. the kid who took the pics and leaked them even further might be in trouble though

They might get their electronic devices confiscated. Better hide your video card!!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

It was a pretty openly racist and hostile Discord server so I dunno if I'd call it "fine"

Theyre not very fine people

but legally, I bet they are fine

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

Morally, they are not fine. Legally, they probably are. Except for the kid that went and spread them further, he's probably pretty chopped and screwed but nearly as radblasted as OG is lmao

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Philonius posted:

It's a bit concerning that the type of moron who would leak classified documents on his gaming discord server, a crime for which the jail time can run into decades, has been given access to these documents in the first place.

quote:

Thousands of military personnel and government employees around OG’s age, working entry-to-low-level positions, could plausibly have access to classified documents like the ones he allegedly shared, according to U.S. officials and experts who have seen the documents reported in the media. Despite what his young followers thought, OG would have had no special knowledge compared with his peers. He possessed no special power to predict events. Rather, he appears to have persuaded some highly impressionable teenagers that he’s a modern-day gamer meets Jason Bourne.

Yes but also not really. Knowing any kind of controlled information isn't just about having a clearance, it's also having a Need To Know. What this guy saw was just a very tiny slice of the bigger picture and was basically the bare minimum he needed to perform his job duties.
Like most likely he's in a position that could be filled by some 22 year old straight out of college.

Hell, what he posted might not have even been stuff he was actually responsible for and may have just came from like, basic workforce wide intelligence briefings that are more or less just FYI/FYSAs to serve as propaganda/a motivational presentation to convince everyone that what they're doing is actually important and time sensitive.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

EorayMel posted:

If only he amended all the leaks with "in Minecraft"

<<<<If you work for the state department you must stop reading>>>

SWIM just stole some classified documents, pics below.

*various gamer words*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dear Sir,

I'm president of the Russia the Vladimir Putin and this might surprise you that I write but I have big problem with wich only your can help! I have big riches in Ukraine(toilet bowl, refrigeration machine, etc.) but I need strong man to go get them from there with gun. You 10% of toilet bowl if help! I'm waiting for you reply. Love, Wladimir

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq-7vkELnV5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Leaker info released. Lol get hosed racist piece of poo poo

PinheadSlim posted:

They are all getting their doors kicked down, gov is going to try to track down if more documents were released and if any of them have them. Assuming they were just part of the discord and didn't save any documents they are probably not going to prison but if anyone saved poo poo onto their computer...

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The leaker was in the loving air national guard lmaoooooo

He deserves every ounce of the heavy hand that's about to come down on him

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

B-Rock452 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq-7vkELnV5/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Leaker info released. Lol get hosed racist piece of poo poo

They are all getting their doors kicked down, gov is going to try to track down if more documents were released and if any of them have them. Assuming they were just part of the discord and didn't save any documents they are probably not going to prison but if anyone saved poo poo onto their computer...

Ukraine War: Guns, Racist Online Memes and video games.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lol love of guns

They sure are going to see a lot in person now

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Oh no, the poor white supremacist.

How very sad

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Why the gently caress does the Massachusetts Air National Guard need to have a full intelligence brief on every aspect of the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo what an idiot lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1646544844158894083?t=TAz5rJGYMShHNrLCL0rWIQ&s=19

Lmao good game

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Why the gently caress does the Massachusetts Air National Guard need to have a full intelligence brief on every aspect of the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Apparently the entire US military just uses Windows public folders with names like "Top Secret CIA Documents Do Not Look"

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Yeah. It doesn't seem very compartmentalized unless he was like a sys admin and had and had access to stuff that wasn't part of his specific role.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mokotow posted:

The air national guard units do operate actual combat capable aircraft squadrons that sometimes get deployed (iirc) so they are staffed up like normal air force I think

Still hmbol

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Oof.
https://twitter.com/jason_paladino/status/1646574960209719302?s=20

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lol, lmao.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Over the next few days quite a few parents are about to find out their kids are absolute racist morons.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Remember the Russian aircraft that mistakenly fired a missile at a British plane?

LOL the pilot misinterpreted what the radar operators told him and thought he had permission to fire. The only reason it didn't start World War 3 is because the loving missile malfunctioned and failed to launch properly. Jesus loving christ we got saved by the same russian corruption and incompetence that threatened us in the first place lmao

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1646298946552352768?s=20

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

B-Rock452 posted:

Over the next few days quite a few parents are about to find out their kids are absolute racist morons.

Sure, but don't bet on that disappointing them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

... The only reason it didn't start World War 3 is because the loving missile malfunctioned and failed to launch properly. Jesus loving christ we got saved by the same russian corruption and incompetence that threatened us in the first place lmao

That truly is very Russian way for things to go. Dead similar to the case where northern lights over Alaska were picked by Soviet satellite as missile burns, and the guy who ran the control station independently had to decide that "blyat this, our satellites are imagining things".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:discourse:

holy poo poo this is so much stupider than I ever could have dreamed of

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Leaker surrendered to the cops. Tweet has a reply showing him being taken away.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

That leakers internet handle: Willo567

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

free hubcaps posted:

That leakers internet handle: Willo567

he was so focused on having his guard up on Tuesday he never expected his doom to come on Thursday!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mokotow posted:

This was kind of making my blood boil considering how careful we are at work if you have to look for even a minute at a single loving document requiring clearance, but at least reading that they are technically a theoretical combat group made it make a little more sense why they have more constant access to this kind of stuff. Well except for the part that someone who could not legally drink had top secret clearance (assuming this did not all happen since he turned 21 that is)

zone posted:

Leaker surrendered to the cops. Tweet has a reply showing him being taken away.
Literally cannot believe he let himself be captured. Starting to think maybe he is not a big strong tough superman???

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HonorableTB posted:

Remember the Russian aircraft that mistakenly fired a missile at a British plane?

LOL the pilot misinterpreted what the radar operators told him and thought he had permission to fire. The only reason it didn't start World War 3 is because the loving missile malfunctioned and failed to launch properly. Jesus loving christ we got saved by the same russian corruption and incompetence that threatened us in the first place lmao

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1646298946552352768?s=20

I've also called you out in the DnD thread but just to be clear to people who don't know this kinda stuff the UK would almost certainly not start WW3 over a spy plane being shot down, which is a thing that happens all the loving time, and would either use it as an excuse to send more poo poo or just use it to wallop Russia in the diplomatic sphere.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Manned spy planes with more than two dozen crew get shot down all the time

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HonorableTB posted:

30 people is not even a factor in considering poo poo if you are discussing a Nato member and/or nuclear armed power entering war with another one.

If they kept doing it, maybe. But a one off is going to get descalated and ignored because no one wants to push the button because a spy plane got shot down.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got him.

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1646585400088035339

Burns
May 10, 2008

People have gone to war over much much less buckaroo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only coherent individual vehicle that if you blew it up would unquestionably be casus belli for ww3 is an aircraft carrier

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Burns posted:

Yes, but I'm willing to bet that in many of those cases they were already chomping at the bit to go and just needed a passable reason.

Do you think the UK is just raring to go send troops to fight Russia in Ukraine?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only coherent individual vehicle that if you blew it up would unquestionably be casus belli for ww3 is an aircraft carrier

Presidential/Country Leader personal vehicles, maybe.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1646536266891026434

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Burns posted:

But it would be typical Russian behavior to just keep bending the rules, doing that stupid 'I'm not touching you', with a constant barrage of 'separate incidents', and moving the goalposts while bellowing "what are you gonna do, shoot back you coward?".

After all, there is a reason why every EU neighbor of Putin's Russia hated the regime even before the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Russia has already shot down an airliner full of civilians during this invasion. Sinking the Lusitania is only an issue when someone wants it to be an issue.