Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I beat the farum azula dragon with melee damage but goddamn what a fucker. I think that was the maddest I've been in this game so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I beat the farum azula dragon with melee damage but goddamn what a fucker. I think that was the maddest I've been in this game so far

He was pretty cool though with those atomic breath sweeps and flying around hidden in a cloud and poo poo

Pretty metal dragon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

He was pretty cool though with those atomic breath sweeps and flying around hidden in a cloud and poo poo

Pretty metal dragon

I think they mean the welcoming committee dragon? Which is a hideous fight, one of the most annoying in the game

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

No Dignity posted:

I think they mean the welcoming committee dragon? Which is a hideous fight, one of the most annoying in the game

Yeah whatever unnamed lightning dragon you fight first there. I beat him and quit for the day right after

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hate that fucker as melee, way too big of a pain to hit, can't see anything that's going on, and huge health pool. I usually skip dragons until I get a good dragon killer ash or spell.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Epic High Five posted:

Hate that fucker as melee, way too big of a pain to hit, can't see anything that's going on, and huge health pool. I usually skip dragons until I get a good dragon killer ash or spell.

I specifically farmed the Envoy's Long Horn to deal with dragons and other large bosses. Not very many things can survive double bubble shower if you're using a mimic tear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

No Dignity posted:

All dragons are metal

Despite being an rear end in a top hat I enjoyed fighting him like a warrior

No wait no that’s not what I did I did the cowardly thing I always do; I plinked poo poo at him and ran away a hundred times in a row

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah you don't actually get anything for engaging with Boc other than that he keeps existing and you're not down a larval tear, which is a bit weird in a game where (I think) every other quest line leads up to some reward.

Boc's questline has a wholesome feelgood ending which is unprecedented for a Fromsoft game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fruits of the sea posted:

Boc's questline has a wholesome feelgood ending which is unprecedented for a Fromsoft game.

One wholesome possible ending and several bad ones

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What are some good things to go for starting out a faith run?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

sebmojo posted:

The frenzy incantations. Catch flame is also very strong in the early game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1646477603665235971

Miyazaki's in Time's 100 most influential people.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I've definitely started jacking it to feet pics more, so glad to see him recognised.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Lightning Spear and Frenzied Burst from Liurnia, Flame of Frenzy from Weeping, Black Flame and the Godslayer seal from Stormveil. This is the best scaling seal until 60 when the Erdtree takes over, and boosts a really good spell. You'll have to earn them all so it's a case where racing ahead with game knowledge doesn't feel quite as cheaty

Gravel Stone seal is excellent to have in your offhand to boost Lightning Spear even more, but don't use it to cast

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

No wait no that’s not what I did I did the cowardly thing I always do; I plinked poo poo at him and ran away a hundred times in a row

So it’s fine even if this is my plan of attack for the entire game rather than learning how to press the block button even once while watching a knight slow motion stab me with a sword

(Salty about how I died in Fort Haight last night)

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

sebmojo posted:

honestly the sacred blade ash is one of the strongest ashes of war in the drat game and it's a stone's throw away from where you grab the wondrous physik for the first time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lightning strike is also on weeping peninsula.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you put on bloodflame blade or whatever and then use the sacred blade skill, the attack power bonus on your weapon from the skill fully replaces the buff that was cast before that right?

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Cavauro posted:

if you put on bloodflame blade or whatever and then use the sacred blade skill, the attack power bonus on your weapon from the skill fully replaces the buff that was cast before that right?

Yeah they're both "weapon" buffs and they replace each other.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks. just wanted to be 100% sure stuff like that isn't a distinct stackable thing because of it coming from a different type of source

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Cavauro posted:

Thanks. just wanted to be 100% sure stuff like that isn't a distinct stackable thing because of it coming from a different type of source

Most of the glowy weapon buffs make sense that they override each other

Then you have poo poo like war cry (it's a weapon buff!) or body buffs like black flame protection and time for crab not stacking.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That's our boy!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I was venturing in Liurnia of the Lakes and made it all the way to the three sisters after going through the castle there. I realized Liurnia is still probably too hard overall as I got totally rocked at the Village of the Albinaurics and I also didn't get too far at the Academy. I decided to go back to Limgrave and see if there were things I missed and thought I would 'farm' my way up in a sense to make Liurnia easier. I ended up killing that dragon in the swamp absolutely no problem at all, and I also found out that you can basically farm trolls on the south ledge of Stormhill and I did so as a way to practice killing them. I ended up also killing that big bird boss thing when it spawned on me. All of this without dying.

Feels loving good.

Oh I also have almost completely switched to two handing my one handed longsword and am trying to learn how to really master the stance breaks and strong attacks.

Any other tips? I am trying to decide on what kind of Ashes of War to use (if at all). I think the ones I have are maybe mediocre at best, if not straight dogshit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's an alarmingly good chest in a cellar near agheel the dragon

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

i think weeping peninsula is the 'linear' zone to follow after limgrave in terms of how hard it is. my protip is to go find the merchant there who sells the lantern which hangs off your belt so you can still 2hand your weapon and see in the dark

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

sebmojo posted:

that chest sucks and cost me like 14000 runes in early game because i just killed the dragon and didn't cash em in

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

So I was venturing in Liurnia of the Lakes and made it all the way to the three sisters after going through the castle there. I realized Liurnia is still probably too hard overall as I got totally rocked at the Village of the Albinaurics and I also didn't get too far at the Academy. I decided to go back to Limgrave and see if there were things I missed and thought I would 'farm' my way up in a sense to make Liurnia easier. I ended up killing that dragon in the swamp absolutely no problem at all, and I also found out that you can basically farm trolls on the south ledge of Stormhill and I did so as a way to practice killing them. I ended up also killing that big bird boss thing when it spawned on me. All of this without dying.

Feels loving good.

Oh I also have almost completely switched to two handing my one handed longsword and am trying to learn how to really master the stance breaks and strong attacks.

Any other tips? I am trying to decide on what kind of Ashes of War to use (if at all). I think the ones I have are maybe mediocre at best, if not straight dogshit.

It's definitely a step up in difficulty, but it's worth noting that the Albinauric Village has two enemies that will never stop being a pain in your rear end if you make a single mistake fighting them for the rest of your playthrough, and those two are probably the ones you're talking about.

If you want to live the stance break and strong attack life, grab a shield. Guard Counters do insane posture damage and chunk health, and a riposte is also time to charge an R2. The default skill of Straight Swords is also probably the best meat and potatoes ash in the game. Hold L2 to get into the stance, then R1 for a sweep that will gently caress with shields or R2 for a lunging stab that does the 3rd most posture damage of any attack in the entire game.

Straight Swords get a lot of fun ashes, but I don't think you've come across too many by this point. Sacred Blade is good, and there's some good ones in Caelid once you venture there, and there's an ash for Square Off early game too so you can make it Heavy or Keen. Check your cookbooks for any greases you can make if you can't cast spells to buff it - it's free damage, and root resin is quickly farmable by the warmaster shack.

kecske posted:

i think weeping peninsula is the 'linear' zone to follow after limgrave in terms of how hard it is. my protip is to go find the merchant there who sells the lantern which hangs off your belt so you can still 2hand your weapon and see in the dark

The merchant in Liurnia also sells this. I'm typically very tight lipped about anything I'd consider even a bit spoilery but I do make sure new players know that much because it's such a tremendous QoL thing and, fittingly, also just makes some places scarier.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ICSjD6s5o

I've been watching these videos for a while because I find them both amusing and interesting, but this one is so far the funniest.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Gologle posted:

I've been watching these videos for a while because I find them both amusing and interesting, but this one is so far the funniest.

even the ballistas think waterfowl is bs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gologle posted:

The main thing I get from these types of videos is that Morgott is good at killing the player, but only at killing the player (though he could probably use a buff to heath and poise).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is there any reason why dying to the virgin abductor at the bottom of the giant revolving elevator thing sends you to near volcano manor?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is there any reason why dying to the virgin abductor at the bottom of the giant revolving elevator thing sends you to near volcano manor?

Because Patches is your friend

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

presumably someone at volcano manor ordered some fresh virgins

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Because you were abducted!

(no joke, I took it to be the implication that the abductor virgins are sent out into the overworld to grab people, especially albinaurics, and drag them back to Volcano manor so that Rykard can do unspeakable things to them, hence that attack where you get pulled into the chest cavity).

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 13, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

sebmojo posted:

gently caress you I found out like 2 hours into the game and I still have nightmares. I literally trust no chests to this day.

But just like image links on this forum I open them anyway…

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's suggested that's the original functionality of them. Rykard likely had reasons to want lots and lots of soldiers Uber'd straight to his mouth home.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am phone posting but I got that lantern already, and I am using sword and board with a vagabond, but recently fell in love with two handing my longsword.

I have been using Stand Off but I forget to use it or am afraid I will whiff it due to distance or gwt struck in the meantime. I have tried to master parry but I fear most enemies won’t be affected by it (read: bosses).

Also it is crazy how good the heater shield is even from day one.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Dark Souls taught me to be super cautious of chests so I would always immediately back roll after opening one. Took me a while before I even figured out what the smoke does.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

dialhforhero posted:

I am phone posting but I got that lantern already, and I am using sword and board with a vagabond, but recently fell in love with two handing my longsword.

I have been using Stand Off but I forget to use it or am afraid I will whiff it due to distance or gwt struck in the meantime. I have tried to master parry but I fear most enemies won’t be affected by it (read: bosses).

Also it is crazy how good the heater shield is even from day one.

Stand off's heavy attack is one of the best moves in the game. Spam that poo poo against anything bigger than a dog. (Don't really, have fun and mix it up, but it will help immensely in staggering bosses and large jerks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I have Sacred Blade I think (phone posting can’t check, but it is this golden one where you raise your sword up high and gain holy damage) but I don’t have the FP to use it and I don’t want to dump into it since I have been splitting between HP, Stamina, and strength.