Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, the more Russia disintegrates, the more likely something like this will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Well yeah, that’s an easy case of Scan Your Ground Doctrine.

:hmmyes:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
man hosed live on television

https://twitter.com/WCVB/status/1646581173185904640

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You know, I'd ask the rhetorical "how did an Air National Guard member have access to this," but I remember working an IT project at the DIA as a contractor (not even a full time contractor - I was only there occasionally for the project) and getting a face full of intelligence I really didn't want to know about every time I logged in to JWICS.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bird food bathtub posted:

Dumber than dirt for sure, but I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy professionally or personally. You cannot possibly accidentally perform what he has, and reporting on the Discord is that it's some heinously bigoted poo poo all around.

gently caress 'em. Play stupid, hateful rear end in a top hat games win stupid, hateful rear end in a top hat prizes.

Racists can change and my ego did a lot of stupid poo poo when I was 21 (maybe not this stupid).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lol some warrior spirit. He just gave up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

lightpole posted:

Racists can change and my ego did a lot of stupid poo poo when I was 21 (maybe not this stupid).
On one hand, this is definitely true. C.P. Ellis was a Klansman fighting desegregation in the early 70s, but Civil Rights activist Ann Atwater helped pull his head out of his rear end.

On the other, this was over 50 years ago, and that man had an 8th grade education that I'm sure was published entirely by UDC.

But Massachusetts? In 2023? What the gently caress?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bell_ posted:

On one hand, this is definitely true. C.P. Ellis was a Klansman fighting desegregation in the early 70s, but Civil Rights activist Ann Atwater helped pull his head out of his rear end.

On the other, this was over 50 years ago, and that man had an 8th grade education that I'm sure was published entirely by UDC.

People don’t really grow up in their physical neighbourhood these days in terms of politics as much as they grow up in the internet neighbourhood that first captures them, I think.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That poor dumb motherfucker.

I'm sure he'll learn his lesson in the federal prison system.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bell_ posted:

Massachusetts has plenty of chuds and racists, they're just better at hiding it, and are massively outnumbered.

Source: Grew up in Mass/RI.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

People don’t really grow up in their physical neighbourhood these days in terms of politics as much as they grow up in the internet neighbourhood that first captures them, I think.

eh it's both and additionally it's not like virulent racism or anti-semitism is in any way whatsoever geographically restricted in this country, nor has it ever been. I've run into equally insane poo poo in far northern states as in the deep south, it's just a bit different thematically and how likely someone is to say it to strangers

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 13, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Massachusetts has plenty of chuds and racists, they're just better at hiding it, and are massively outnumbered.

Source: Grew up in Mass/RI.

And there is enough of them that MAGA types have been winning MA GOP primaries lately (as opposed to the Charlie Baker sorts).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

This kid looks like a fuckin' dork.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He needs his sentence to be getting a wedgie and his balls stomped every Friday night by a Jewish dommy-mommy and he’ll learn to love her.
What a putz.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crab Dad posted:

He needs his sentence to be getting a wedgie and his balls stomped every Friday night by a Jewish dommy-mommy and he’ll learn to love her.
What a putz.
I think ball stomping on Shabbat is discouraged. Do it Thursday

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bell_ posted:

Mass is racist and chuddy as gently caress. You don't even need to leave Boston to get there but once you get into the backwoods anywhere in the northeast holy poo poo

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

No wonder he needed to post classified documents to look cool

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

Don't overlook this detail

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1646592080293122067

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what a stupid loving saga top to bottom

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/iLoveNafo/status/1646611860735635459

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:perfect:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is the only worthwhile response to Glennnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdrkG9nzXw

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

No wonder he needed to post classified documents to look cool

:vince:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Crab Dad posted:

Personally I hope he gets to write a book when he gets out.
“45 Years of Breaking Big Rocks into Small Rocks”.
I hope he never gets out, God knows how many more Ukrainians will now die due to his actions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

lightpole posted:

Mass is racist and chuddy as gently caress. You don't even need to leave Boston to get there but once you get into the backwoods anywhere in the northeast holy poo poo

Yeah, the anti-bussing riots weren't really that long ago.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, the anti-bussing riots weren't really that long ago.

Was there some anti-busing riot sooner than 50 years ago? That's an extremely long time, politically.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think ball stomping on Shabbat is discouraged. Do it Thursday

Can a Shabbos Goy perform acts of violence for the people they assist? I feel like that goes against the spirit of the thing.

I can dress pretty, if needed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lo-Fi beats to study and commit espionage to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Lo-Fi beats to study and commit espionage to.

Call him Treasonboy, and have him snapping pics on the counter the same way lofi girl is constantly writing in her notebook.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
I just read a RAND paper on this subject today. A combo platter of DEW and kinetic weapons might be able to protect a fleet in a China-Taiwan conflict. Unfortunately, the details are a little bit classified, but the RAND guys linked up with MITRE to do some solid analysis and simulation. Gives ya hope.

not caring here posted:

All this talk about fancy weapons to shoot down drones and all I'm hearing is "load can".

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are DEW systems feasible vs hypersonics? Or does it just require power levels that we arent seeing in use yet. Would the assumed levels of thermal shielding on those sort of systems offer protection?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you’re concerned about something being classified or classified adjacent, please don’t post about it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

HonorableTB posted:

We got a lot closer to Clancychat than was admitted or reported at the time. Remember that British surveillance plane that had a missile fired near it?

Yeah it wasn't an accident. It was intentional. The pilot misinterpreted what ground radar operators told him and he thought he had permission to fire. The missile was locked on and targeted correctly and the only thing that averted likely nuclear escalation is that the missile malfunctioned and failed to fire properly.

Phew.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1646298946552352768?s=20

Not sure that I fully buy that story. If he really thought he had auth to shoot he would have shot again.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1646622737580933121?cxt=HHwWgoC-ifup_dktAAAA

ITS HAPPENING

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
No worries. Nothing classified adjacent was included in my post. The overall summary was unclassified.

FrozenVent posted:

If you’re concerned about something being classified or classified adjacent, please don’t post about it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ded posted:

Not sure that I fully buy that story. If he really thought he had auth to shoot he would have shot again.

His wingman may have heard the ground radar correctly and yelled him to not shoot again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Personally I hope he gets to write a book when he gets out.
“45 Years of Breaking Big Rocks into Small Rocks”.

I'm laughing at the thought of him ever getting out. He's going to be made an example of.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hopper posted:

I am curious: Listing a full name and uncensored picture of a suspected criminal would not be allowed in Germany as far as I know, unless it is a public figure maybe. Are there no laws for this in the US or is this a case of "public interest outweighs privacy rights"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

This guy is probably the best example of the difference in laws. Clint Eastwood made a largely fictional movie about him, avoid it and just read about him.

Essentially, he actually did heroic poo poo in trying to shoo people away from the bomb, which put him under suspicion because in reality there's a very small, very weird subset of law enforcement/first responders that create crimes to get famous for fighting them (most famously, firemen who torch places to be a hero putting out the flames).

The FBI leaked his name to the press as a "person of interest", which is a more legally defensible way to say "suspect". His life was ruined because the largely conservative, heavily Mormon FBI carried institutional biases that kept it from recognizing that Eric Rudolph, the abortion clinic bomber, was the actual guilty party. News coverage obsessed over him, SNL made fun of him, he basically got to be the Main Character For the Month of pre-Twitter US media.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bell_ posted:

I wonder whether that community will try to rehabilitate his reputation.

He was showing off to tweens who were arguing about minecraft maps. So I'm guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GD_American posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

This guy is probably the best example of the difference in laws. Clint Eastwood made a largely fictional movie about him, avoid it and just read about him.

Essentially, he actually did heroic poo poo in trying to shoo people away from the bomb, which put him under suspicion because in reality there's a very small, very weird subset of law enforcement/first responders that create crimes to get famous for fighting them (most famously, firemen who torch places to be a hero putting out the flames).

The FBI leaked his name to the press as a "person of interest", which is a more legally defensible way to say "suspect". His life was ruined because the largely conservative, heavily Mormon FBI carried institutional biases that kept it from recognizing that Eric Rudolph, the abortion clinic bomber, was the actual guilty party. News coverage obsessed over him, SNL made fun of him, he basically got to be the Main Character For the Month of pre-Twitter US media.

ACAB and all but dude seemed to be a genuine hero at that moment, doing what he's supposed to do. He was punished by having his reputation ruined and while he did eventually get hired by some podunk county Sheriff as deputy, I always read that they kept him out of any promotions or better jobs than patrol because of his name recognition and how people thought about him. He died of diabetes without even retiring, at age 44, after he came home from work, and his wife found him dead from organ failure.

His employer during the time,, Piedmont College and its president Raymond Cleere, described him to FBI as ""badge-wearing zealot who would write epic police reports for minor infractions."" because they wanted to come out on top of the investigation looking like a good guy, and that they had totally already wanted to get rid of him before the event. Both were bald faced lies, he had no complaints or issues apparently, and Cleere basically made that poo poo up on the fly.

New York Times ran with it.

What a loving Homer Simpson-esque life.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 14, 2023