Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gorgeous car

e: poo poo that was a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Few more pictures of my 718

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That is a beautiful car. Congrats

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

God dammit

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Today I went for a drive, and goddamn do I love my Boxster.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Aquila posted:

Today I went for a drive, and goddamn do I love my Boxster.

Me whenever it is not raining in the PNW

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My friend's GT4 RS arrived and.. it is glorious

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 20, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ooof that price increase. Porsche really wants all the money.

And ooof racing green metallic is no longer available.

Not like I'm going to get the chance to make a dumb decision anyways.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For what it's worth a 911 is still 30% more expensive over here, so my recommendation is to suck it up and choose BRG

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also, the heater in my Taycan has packed in again and I'm seriously considering swapping it for a 911 in BRG

I'd really like to stay electric but there's no good alternative to the Taycan (e-tron GT doesn't count) so maybe a last blast in an ICE would be ok

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

For what it's worth a 911 is still 30% more expensive over here, so my recommendation is to suck it up and choose BRG

If I end up getting a GT4 RS, I think I want a lighter color, although Gentian Blue seems to look good on them as well.

Because jfc, if you're spending that much money on paint, it's tough to get something you don't want.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

If I end up getting a GT4 RS

That's a big if. Having just gone through this for a relatively undesirable Boxster/Cayman variant I hope you know what you're getting into.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Looking at getting a Boxster, and have found a 987.2 locally that I really enjoyed driving. Took it to Porsche for their 111-point inspection ($400 but I think well worth it). Came back with a bunch of small poo poo like "small mark on convertible top" (didn't even see it) and "some scratches on door sill where people dragged their shoes getting in", and brake pads worn > 50%, but had two things that seemed more worth addressing: leak near/around water pump and a "stage 4 overrev". Been reading up on the overrev and it sounds like someone missed a shift at some point and spun it up to 800-1000 past redline. Seems like it's generally a non issue as long as the car runs fine and some time has passed.

So anyway, with this info I approached the dealer selling it (smaller enthusiast car dealer with a good rep) and asked what they thought about it. They said they'd replace the waterpump or possibly hoses (whatever is causing the minor leak), put all new pads on and replace the front disks (which they thought were starting to look worn), and do a compression+leakdown test since that's what Porsche recommended for the overrev thing.

Feels like as long as the compression test is good and they do the rest, it ought to be a solid buy. What do you guys think? It's a 987.2 with sport chrono, the infotainment package, the comfort package, white gauges and 6-speed. 40k miles. Price is about what they generally go for but in this case I'd be getting a car that's had some issues identified and addressed.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Aquila posted:

That's a big if. Having just gone through this for a relatively undesirable Boxster/Cayman variant I hope you know what you're getting into.

Sure. I've been on "the list" since it got announced. I want to do a European delivery trip if possible, and I refuse to pay any ADM. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, hopefully I'll live and have plenty of years left to make dumb financial decisions. I'm not too worried.

:shrug:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I testdrove the Porsche 718 Cayman S yesterday:

It looks brilliant, lovely colour, excellent wheels. It's super comfortable, the 14 way electric seats were great. The controls are nice to touch.

The heated steering wheel was excellent, as were the heated seats.

Very responsive car. Great acceleration, lightning fast automatic PDK Dual Clutch gearbox.

Suspension was the standard suspension, it was fine, didn't feel like it needed to be stiffer or softer.

The speed limit display was very annoying, kept going "temporarily unavailable" every few miles, and had to be be cleared by pressing the back button on the steering wheel, else that error message would display on the right of the instrument cluster constantly. I hope turning off this option is a possibility.

The GPS was useless. Literally unusable. It thought I was going in a direction I wasn’t going in, on a road I wasn’t on. I had to pull over into a lay-by, park, pull my phone out, connect it to the car and use the phone’s audio over the car’s (very nice) Bose speakers to get back to the Porsche showroom. There was no Apple CarPlay in the car (though it can be retrofitted, which Porsche should do as standard for any cars in its showroom...).

It sounds weak, zero theatre. This is both I think to do with the fact that it's now only a 4 cylinder 2.5l car, and that it has the standard exhaust on it.

The lack of cruise control made it really annoying to drive. Why this model hadn't been specced with cruise control, I do not know. This can be retrofitted too.

This exact one is the one I took out: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303245578456

I literally, no exaggeration, enjoyed driving the BMW e89 z4 2.0l more. Which has far less performance than the 718.

I'm going to try out a 911 in a few weeks.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I testdrove the Porsche 718 Cayman S yesterday:
Don't buy that specific car.

quote:

It looks brilliant, lovely colour, excellent wheels. It's super comfortable, the 14 way electric seats were great. The controls are nice to touch.

The heated steering wheel was excellent, as were the heated seats.

Very responsive car. Great acceleration, lightning fast automatic PDK Dual Clutch gearbox.

Suspension was the standard suspension, it was fine, didn't feel like it needed to be stiffer or softer.
Sport suspension is amazing, don't skip testing it.

quote:

The speed limit display was very annoying, kept going "temporarily unavailable" every few miles, and had to be be cleared by pressing the back button on the steering wheel, else that error message would display on the right of the instrument cluster constantly. I hope turning off this option is a possibility.
This feature is known to be worthless, it's not even available in the US.

quote:

The GPS was useless. Literally unusable. It thought I was going in a direction I wasn’t going in, on a road I wasn’t on. I had to pull over into a lay-by, park, pull my phone out, connect it to the car and use the phone’s audio over the car’s (very nice) Bose speakers to get back to the Porsche showroom. There was no Apple CarPlay in the car (though it can be retrofitted, which Porsche should do as standard for any cars in its showroom...).
Current 718 support wired but not wireless carplay, a $100 third party adapter gets you wired carplay.

quote:

It sounds weak, zero theatre. This is both I think to do with the fact that it's now only a 4 cylinder 2.5l car, and that it has the standard exhaust on it.
You can't get it without sport exhaust in the US. I think sport exhaust is excessive and fake sounding.

quote:

The lack of cruise control made it really annoying to drive. Why this model hadn't been specced with cruise control, I do not know. This can be retrofitted too.
I didn't know cruise control was optional, unless you mean adaptive cruise control, which is rarely specced.

quote:

This exact one is the one I took out: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303245578456
Looking closely, definitely no cruise control, no sport chrono, probably no sport exhaust. Likely no active suspension, likely no LSD (PTV+). The spec on this car is a mystery to me. Also the price, is only about 15,000 pounds less than a similarly specced 2023 Cayman S (if you can get one).

Sport suspension has amazed me on my Boxster T, both with it on and off. With it off ride is very nice and comfortable (for sports car) and with it on handling is incredibly precise and perfect. Sport chrono seems like a useless feature, but it actually gets you individual mode and maybe sport+, and active engine mounts.

quote:

I literally, no exaggeration, enjoyed driving the BMW e89 z4 2.0l more. Which has far less performance than the 718.
A slightly newer base model with all the performance features (or T) may be more fun then this weirdly specced S. Or a 6 cylinder GTS if you can find one for a sane price. I drove a 2003 E85 Z4 2.5L for ten years and find my new 718 Boxster T vastly more fun to drive, though a few comfort and luxury features on the Z4 were somewhat better (for the time). Also I prefer I-6 exhaust sounds to... everything.

quote:

I'm going to try out a 911 in a few weeks.
:getin:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah if I was getting a 718 I think it would end up being a GTS 4.0... but then you're within spitting distance of a 911.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Aquila posted:

Don't buy that specific car.

Sport suspension is amazing, don't skip testing it.

This feature is known to be worthless, it's not even available in the US.

Current 718 support wired but not wireless carplay, a $100 third party adapter gets you wired carplay.

You can't get it without sport exhaust in the US. I think sport exhaust is excessive and fake sounding.

I didn't know cruise control was optional, unless you mean adaptive cruise control, which is rarely specced.

Looking closely, definitely no cruise control, no sport chrono, probably no sport exhaust. Likely no active suspension, likely no LSD (PTV+). The spec on this car is a mystery to me. Also the price, is only about 15,000 pounds less than a similarly specced 2023 Cayman S (if you can get one).

Sport suspension has amazed me on my Boxster T, both with it on and off. With it off ride is very nice and comfortable (for sports car) and with it on handling is incredibly precise and perfect. Sport chrono seems like a useless feature, but it actually gets you individual mode and maybe sport+, and active engine mounts.

A slightly newer base model with all the performance features (or T) may be more fun then this weirdly specced S. Or a 6 cylinder GTS if you can find one for a sane price. I drove a 2003 E85 Z4 2.5L for ten years and find my new 718 Boxster T vastly more fun to drive, though a few comfort and luxury features on the Z4 were somewhat better (for the time). Also I prefer I-6 exhaust sounds to... everything.

Here are all the options the 718 I test drove was optioned with:
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/details/porsche-718-cayman-s-preowned-VD7382

Exterior
Bi-Xenon main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
Rear Wiper
Electrically folding exterior mirrors

Transmission / Chassis
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Power steering Plus

Wheels
20-inch 911 Turbo wheels

Interior
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Light design package
HomeLink® (programmable garage door opener)
Heated multifunction steering wheel
Fully electric Sports seats (14-way, electric)
Seat heating
Smoking package
Passenger footwell storage net

Interior Leather
Porsche Crest embossed on headrests

Audio / Comm.
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
BOSE® Surround Sound-System

I'll see about trying one with sports suspension at some point, but it isn't that big a deal to me.

It's absurd that cruise isn't standard, and who would spec a car without it... baffling.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

and thanks guys, good feedback :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

It's absurd that cruise isn't standard, and who would spec a car without it... baffling.

Welcome to the porsche options list

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The first thing I did when casually showing up to the dealer was walk up to the 2014 I was after and look in the window at whether it had cruise control. Only then was I like 'lets talk.'

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah if I was getting a 718 I think it would end up being a GTS 4.0... but then you're within spitting distance of a 911.

Yeah but then the engine moves into a less correct place.

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.
I just purchased my first Porsche - a 2013 Boxster S:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That is so good looking. You've done well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Proper.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sexy car!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:drat:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The red top and interior works so good with that black/grey/whatever. Wonderful looking car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Everyone here has beautiful cars but those are just some spectacular photos to boot. Well done.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Love that subdued color with the red top.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Feels like as long as the compression test is good and they do the rest, it ought to be a solid buy. What do you guys think? It's a 987.2 with sport chrono, the infotainment package, the comfort package, white gauges and 6-speed. 40k miles. Price is about what they generally go for but in this case I'd be getting a car that's had some issues identified and addressed.

Just following up here, the compression test was good (around 260psi on all cylinders). They're replacing the waterpump and doing brakes and a full service on it so should be done next week. Inshallah I will be a Boxster owner before long.

Option list (thank god someone replaced the white wheels, loving Germans)

342 Multi-stage Heating System for Front Seats
409 18" Cayman S II Wheel
584 Storage box
635 ParkAssist Rear
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
CMA Mirror Attachment Point Finishers Painted in Exterior Color
P4G Comfort Package
P4R Infotainment Package
XD9 Wheels Painted in Exterior Color
XFJ Instrument Dials in Carrara White
XMK Roll Bar in Exterior Color

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 6, 2023

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.
Thanks all.

Looks like the original owner selected pretty much every option (even the aluminium fuel cap) apart from cruise control. Thankfully if that’s something I really want you can get it retro fitted at an OPC for £500.

The only thing wrong with it (as far as I can tell) is that the PSE valves have seized which I think is a pretty common issue. Thankfully they appear to be seized in the open position and as it’s a weekend car I’m not that worried about getting it sorted - I’m not sitting on the motorway everyday or anything. Porsche would want to replace the entire exhaust to fix.

Took it to some of our lovely Scottish hills at the weekend:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just following up here, the compression test was good (around 260psi on all cylinders). They're replacing the waterpump and doing brakes and a full service on it so should be done next week. Inshallah I will be a Boxster owner before long.

Option list (thank god someone replaced the white wheels, loving Germans)

342 Multi-stage Heating System for Front Seats
409 18" Cayman S II Wheel
584 Storage box
635 ParkAssist Rear
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
CMA Mirror Attachment Point Finishers Painted in Exterior Color
P4G Comfort Package
P4R Infotainment Package
XD9 Wheels Painted in Exterior Color
XFJ Instrument Dials in Carrara White
XMK Roll Bar in Exterior Color

It's a bit weird that it's not registered to the dealer but to a private owner. I have no idea about this particular dealer, but that is sometimes a loophole dealers use so they don't have to offer you any warranty since "we didn't sell the car, we only sold it for that guy". Not that it matters much to most people, but I'm assuming you know it's an import?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's a bit weird that it's not registered to the dealer but to a private owner. I have no idea about this particular dealer, but that is sometimes a loophole dealers use so they don't have to offer you any warranty since "we didn't sell the car, we only sold it for that guy". Not that it matters much to most people, but I'm assuming you know it's an import?

Yeah, the dealer is the one that imported it on behalf of the first owner here since they had a hard time finding a suitable one within the country. It then was sold to another guy in the same city. The dealer has been very good to deal with (taking it to Porsche for inspection on their own dime and then addressing every issue they found) so not worried about any shady business from them. I honestly didn't reflect over the ownership since I assume they were doing some sort of consignment sale but maybe not a bad idea to just pose the question to them. The second time the car was sold in Sweden the dealer took ownership for two days before the new owner so either it was a quick sale or they do the ownership transfer right before selling it for...reasons?

As for the waterpump I mentioned, it was a cracked hose so the WP itself is fine. They ordered a new one and it should be in early next week. Porsche was fairly vague about the issue ("leak by waterpump") but the mechanic said it was very obvious so gotta wonder if they deliberately wrote it like that so you couldn't easily get a quote for the work elsewhere.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 14, 2023

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Thunderhill with the Cayman. This thing is so good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Whoa, I've never seen Thunderhill green. :wth: It actually looks quite nice. I hope it's still like that in June when I go.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hi. I bought a 986 S and it's got the CDR23 in it with the Bose sound system. I already own an e9x BMW so I know that my brain is broken.

I'd like to add modern features to the audio system, but I am also stupid and would like to keep both of my lil storage bins in the lower dash area. Can I put the PCCM in this thing instead of the PCCM+?

Here's a pic, I guess:

e, this is what it look like (when it gets here)

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

If you just want bluetooth, Conti head units match nicely and are a fraction of the price.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-trdw312ub-or

He also sells wiring harnesses. Was pretty easy to install in my 996.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm totally going to just get a Continental unit to replace my CR210 if I get off my fat rear end to do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Using a Conti like that in my 993. I figured I'd give it a go and if I felt like I was missing something, I'd buy the PCM.

:effort: