Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Yeah gotta get back to the time honored franchise tradition of going out in the first round every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah gotta get back to the time honored franchise tradition of going out in the first round every year.

Inshallah

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In retrospect I regret not being sharp enough to make the "The longest active streak of first round playoff exits in sports is over" joke last night

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Sure whatever lets go.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why would Dubas leave the Leafs for the Pens unless he's been told he's fired regardless of the outcome of the playoffs? It's a step back in every conceivable way even if they make him POHO.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Why would Dubas leave the Leafs for the Pens unless he's been told he's fired regardless of the outcome of the playoffs? It's a step back in every conceivable way even if they make him POHO.

His contract is up I think so it really depends on if the Leafs want to keep him. If they do I can't see him leaving unless the Pens offer way more money and I don't see how you out money the Leafs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

He's not even gonna be allowed on the team plane after their inevitable Game 7 loss to the Lightning.

Sheldon Keefe replacing Sullivan in 2 years is gonna be great because they'll be tanking by then. Not gonna be so great when they're ready to make noise 2-3 years later and he's still there though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Brad Treliving will be available, or at least he should be.

How about Pittsburgh and Calgary trade GMs?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

Brad Treliving will be available, or at least he should be.

How about Pittsburgh and Calgary trade GMs?

Friedman made it sounds like Trieliving can go back to Calgary if he wants to and that its completely up to him

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Friedman said that the AGM's (Conroy and Maloney) just signed extensions so it sounds like Treliving might be re-signed... but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't back either.

I thought Treliving was a good GM in a bad market, but only getting out of the 1st round twice in 9 years is meh.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He seems fine at building a roster and pivoting and bad at hiring coaches.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jim Benning just felt a phantom phone buzz in his pocket.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He seems fine at building a roster and pivoting and bad at hiring coaches.

Yeah I tend to agree... every GM is going to make some roster mistakes but most of his coaching hires have been awful and wasted quite a few years of a young core.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1646549559466655751?s=20
Jfresh to pens E5

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Brian Burke has bought some calculators.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Brian Burke yelled incoherently at some interns until they bought some calculators

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Burke, hits/60 isn't "analytics"
I don't even think we have that tracked, sir

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

You can spell OHIO on a calculator.

You know who's from Ohio?

That's right, Tyler Biggs.

Burkalytics baby

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Must-lose game for the Caps tonight. With a win they can finish with as low as the 11th overall pick, and with a regulation loss they are guaranteed the 8th overall draft position (before the lottery, which the Capitals will win).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Must-lose game for the Caps tonight. With a win they can finish with as low as the 11th overall pick, and with a regulation loss they are guaranteed the 8th overall draft position (before the lottery, which the Capitals will win).

I called this as well because after they did the Pens a favor I called up Gary

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

Washington, Detroit, Vancouver, and St. Louis are the teams that have locked up their low odds ticket but will be jockeying between 8th and 11th. Washington and St. Louis are playing games that matter, Detroit and Vancouver are not. Vancouver seems the best bet for 11th.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I have wagered money against them in the hopes of generating some playoff bet cash, so I'm afraid they will win.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Are the Canucks seriously going to end up in 11th spot

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Going to polish that turd of a resume and source from Nat-Stat, whatever knock off Twitter comments section, and here let's go.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not surprisingly a lot of the Pittsburgh media is saying that Hextall may get fired as soon as tomorrow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Means nothing if Burke doesn't go as well

e: Honestly, and I love Mike Sullivan, the only actually good head coach the Penguins have had since Scotty loving Bowman, but nothing is going to change in Pittsburgh as long as Sullivan is there. He has become as much the problem as Hextall I think. He is never gonna let go of his veterans.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

With just 17 total games left in the regular season only the Philadelphia Flyers are locked into their pre lottery position at 7th and all the playoff races are decided. The next two nights are operation stink em up as teams jockey to suck hardest!

It's unfortunate they had a couple spells there where they looked like a real team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Yes, those braying idiots cheering for the win over the Leafs as some fantastic own must be very happy. Another waste of a year with no reward whatsoever aside from more moral victories.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

Hopefully!!!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Means nothing if Burke doesn't go as well

e: Honestly, and I love Mike Sullivan, the only actually good head coach the Penguins have had since Scotty loving Bowman, but nothing is going to change in Pittsburgh as long as Sullivan is there. He has become as much the problem as Hextall I think. He is never gonna let go of his veterans.

FSG is rumored to be cleaning the whole front office. Apparently they aren't very impressed with their work. Shocking.

Sullivan is an easy fix. Smart GM doesn't give him lovely vets. Problem solved. Add it to the huge pile as to why Hextall is a giant coward and doesn't have the balls to actually stamp authority on the team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FSG are very impressed with Sullivan and will probably let him pick the new front office, though.

Hextall deserves his shitcanning for refusing to ever be in the same room as a smart roster move, but I think you're going to find the obsession with playing old guys and older the better and refusing to play young guys was all Sullivan and will continue. At any rate cowardice was not the problem with Hextall, it's extremely likely ownership would not let him "stamp authority on the team" (i.e. ignore what Sullivan wants). Hextall just isn't very good at hockey management.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 14, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

FSG are very impressed with Sullivan and will probably let him pick the new front office, though.

Hextall deserves his shitcanning for refusing to ever be in the same room as a smart roster move, but I think you're going to find the obsession with playing old guys and older the better and refusing to play young guys was all Sullivan and will continue.

Sullivan wanted to sell the farm for Chychrun, which was a stupid move
but a better move than giving up any assets for the mummies we brought in

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jackets "win"

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Capitals “lose”

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lol they absolutely won't. The Pens are loving small peanuts compared to Liverpool or Sox.

Edit: Idk about the Sox but 'Pool is run exceedingly well run, current poor season excluded.

Edit 2: didn't watch the game. Too busy with dumb hobby poo poo. But lol the 5v5 goal against came from the right point. 2 of the 3 goals against are considered 'low danger'. Huge lol. Imagine getting outplayed by Mike Hutchinson in goal. I really hope FSG can find some shooting talent....and unfuck the pylons playing d. Kulikov earns a 5v5 - tonight. Great trade Ron. You're G R E A T. Get fired. Petry on the ice for 2 against all situations. Another home run.

Edit 3: Selling the farm for Chycrun would be the correct decision if you're going to pretend the team can compete. There is 0 LD1on the roster. Pettersson is a LD2. He should not be playing top pairing minutes. PoJ was ok, but he's maybe 3rd pairing ceiling. If that. Ty Smith is also *maybe* 2nd pairing at best. Hooray. Oh Granlund also a - tonight.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 14, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
admirable come from ahead loss by the Caps, shame it went into OT

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Sox are run well if you're a nerdy accountant who hates baseball. They traded away Mookie Betts and just let Bogaerts walk

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

admirable come from ahead loss by the Caps, shame it went into OT

OT loss was as good as a regulation loss.

That was the most invested in a Caps game I’ve been since December. What a professional tanking effort by the Caps. Couldn’t have realistically asked for a better draft position.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why is Brian Burke even considered a brilliant hockey mind anyhow
he lucked into one cup his entire career on a team he barely had to add to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He's a hell of a politician