Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

quote:

How deserted lies the city,
once so full of people!
How like a widow is she,
who once was great among the nations!
She who was queen among the provinces
has now become a slave to the lottery balls.

quote:

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Montreal! Shout aloud, O daughter of Anaheim! Behold, your king is coming to you; righteous and having salvation is he, humble and playing for the Pats.

quote:

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and elimination shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.

Join me oh ye fans of failed franchises. Once more we fall victim to a 3 to 25% chance of blissful joy that is found in a pasty, white, Canadian saviour christened Connor. We have nothing left to will for except for the coming tumbling of plastic spheres. Hopes that have died already, oh let them die in here once more.

or put another (better) way:

Hand Knit posted:

If the question is "is it time for me to move to (the) Loser City (thread)?" the answer is usually yes.

The following teams suck:
The Montreal Canadiens
The Columbus Blue Jackets
The Philadelphia Flyers
The St. Louis Blues
The Arizona Coyotes
RIGGED GARBAGE TEAM EVERYONE HATES
The Vancouver Canucks
The San Jose Sharks
The Anaheim Ducks
The Washington Capitals
The Ottawa Senators
The Detroit Red Wings
The Calgary Flames
The Buffalo Sabres
The Nashville Predators
The Pittsburgh Penguins
The Winnipeg Jets
The Toronto Ma- wait what?
The Minnesota Wild
The NY Islanders
The Los Angeles Kings
The Boston Bruins LMAO 135pts
The Colorado Avalanche what is going on?
Patty Kane and the New York Range
The New Jersey Devils
Oh there are the Toronto Maple Leafs that felt weird for a bit
McDavid and Friends
The Seattle Kraken
The Carolina Hurricanes
The Dallas Stars
The Florida Panthers

Not losers:
The Vegas Golden Knights

I hate that I have to be here every year but I do deserve it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I’m comfortable posting in this thread now.

Catching up on the Tom Wilson discussion in the other thread: they should 100% trade him and they should trade him this offseason rather than waiting until the TDL. If you strip away all of the bullshit Wilson is a good but not great winger who has never reached 60 points and has only reached 50 points once.

There’s no way he doesn’t get at least 6 years, but probably 7 or 8 and that contract is going to look bad in a few years. It made sense for them to re-sign Oshie when they did because they were on the cusp of winning a title but it makes no sense to do the same with Wilson now that Washington stinks. They should trade him this offseason so that the entire league could bid for his services and so that they can maneuver cap to fit him in. Also his trade value should go up if an extension is in place.

As mentioned earlier some team is going to pay a haul for him. Jeannot got a big return despite not being established at all. Imagine what Wilson could get.

Washington promised Ovechkin they would try to make the playoffs every year but they could always flip Wilson for a better roster player or draft picks that could then be flipped for a better roster player. If and when Toronto loses in the first round I could see them making a panic move for Wilson, for instance.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tom Wilson has always dreamed of being a more expensive version of Michael Bunting

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues keep stealing points like loving idiots. How do you go to a shootout against the Bruins!!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Sup I'm gonna be in this thread for a long time

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Caps are in prime position to gently caress up their franchise big time. They really should trade Wilson for like a mid-first round pick and young roster players/prospects in this year's draft, but they won't. They're going to sign a bunch of older players in the name of being competitive while Ovi is still playing and have another middling year where they don't draft high enough to pick an impact player, but also miss the playoffs. Within the next 2-3 years Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie are all going to retire, Carlson will be nearing retirement age, and they'll have no real impact prospects on the way in. I'm sure it won't be fun for Ovechkin to miss the playoffs, but they really need to sell off as much as they can to restock that prospect cupboard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

who the hell is trading a 1st and prospects for Tom Wilson

E: Tom Wilson with a 7 team NTC at that

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If Dubas gets canned Shanahan is absolutely gonna step in and sell the farm for Wilson. As much as the Leafs have a farm, anyway.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm sure my opinion is hugely biased because I want a big return, but it seems entirely on-brand for an NHL GM to sell the farm for Wilson. He's exactly the type of player meatheads in front offices talk about wanting all the time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DJExile posted:

The way he's talked about, maybe several teams

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DJExile posted:

If I were running a contender, I would.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLInjuryViz/status/1641898322465116200

The Habs need to look at their training and conditioning and health staff

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

The Rangers.

You know it's the Rangers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

He's the exact kind of player that every NHL GM falls over themselves to try and acquire. There's only a handful of players around the league who play a heavy physical game, play special teams, and still be a reliable 20 goal/50 point kind of player. It's basically the Tkachuks, who are both significantly better than Wilson, and Jeannot, who doesn't even have the proven track record Wilson does and still got a big haul at the deadline.

Like every year at the deadline they talk about some depth player who plays 12 minutes a night on the fourth line as an "energy guy" who can really bring momentum to the club by killing penalties, laying a big hit, etc. Wilson is that kind of guy, but actually good at hockey.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Wings fans will just crash on that pull-out couch over there, we're getting our stuff shipped and it'll be here in a game or two

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

stab posted:

🦈

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ThinkTank posted:

The following teams suck are dogshit garbage:
The Philadelphia Flyers

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/HurstAthletics/status/1642980291617628162

tangentially related to NHL stuff, Danny's kid has been tossed off the Mercyhurst team

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/HurstAthletics/status/1642980291617628162

tangentially related to NHL stuff, Danny's kid has been tossed off the Mercyhurst team

Was that the player’s kid who pushed the wheelchair down the stairs?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yup, hey look Carson, your actions have consequences... you twat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

The same.

The Athletic posted:

Briere, along with Patrick Carrozzi — whose description matches that of a senior listed on the Mercyhurst men’s lacrosse team’s roster — were charged with criminal mischief, conspiracy to commit criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. Briere and Carrozzi are scheduled to be arraigned May 22.

According to the criminal complaint, the incident occurred March 11 at Sullivan’s Pub and Eatery in Erie. The wheelchair’s owner filed a report for damage to the chair at the Erie police station March 13, the day before the video came to light. The defendants’ actions “caused the left brake handle to not function properly, the plastic molding on the right arm rest to break, the rear handle is slightly bent and the wheels are experiencing drag moving forward,” the wheelchair’s owner says in the complaint, adding that the cost of the wheelchair “was approximately $2,000 when purchased approximately a year ago.”

Briere, a junior and center on the Mercyhurst team, said last month he was “deeply sorry” for his actions. Mercyhurst University initially released a statement indicating Briere was one of three students placed on “interim suspension from their athletic teams per school policy, pending the outcome of the investigative process.”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Even more pointedly, the kid of the General Manager of the Philadelphia Flyers, who just like his family are widely believed to be dogshit garbage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage both on and off the ice.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/pensyyc/status/1642979150314233857?s=46&t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA

can't believe we were robbed of this great content

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I think that's made-up bullshit. I don't believe even Hextall is that dumb. Dumb enough to acquire Miller at all, yes, but dumb enough to give up two 1sts, no. Hextall has always been very reluctant to part with 1st round picks.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Canucks flat-out denied that this was ever on the table.
While I would normally think that they're dumb enough to walk away from a deal like that, it does seem like a stretch, even for the Canucks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens trading Zucker would have been an absolutely insane thing to do as well. Then again, they did acquire Granlund so I guess you can't completely discount any rumor of stupidity regarding them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That would've been the trade of the century, no way it was anything like that.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 4, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stab posted:

Salut

We got the best season we could I think. Young players show promise and the vibes are still decent.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens trading Zucker would have been an absolutely insane thing to do as well. Then again, they did acquire Granlund so I guess you can't completely discount any rumor of stupidity regarding them.

and because granlund is an untradable contract they basically guaranteed they can't re-sign Zucker

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
San Jose going for an innovative all-goalie approach to hockey

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-magnus-chrona-grier-signing/

In seriousness, I hope this means we can drop Reimer in the off season

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Was going through some old photo dumps on my ancient desktop machine and found this gem. Enjoy CAS!

LOL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That man is now credibly accused of sexual assault of an employee of his restaurant. Such is the life of a canucks fan.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-willie-mitchell-tofino-resort-inappropriate-behaviour

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

and because granlund is an untradable contract they basically guaranteed they can't re-sign Zucker

Realistically... the Pens will finish 8th or 9th, and next year it is 95% that they will get worse. They're the oldest team in the league; they have no impact prospects and no cap space, so the roster won't meaningfully change; and their health was actually really good this year other than Jarry who is and will continually be perpetually broken.

It's over. The time to Blow It Up has come.

...except they can't blow it up, even if they wanted to. Literally every player they have has a NMC, or a negative-trade-value contract, or both, except Jake Guentzel and maybe Pettersson.

But they should trade Guentzel, this summer or at next year's deadline. And they should let Jarry walk.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They're not gonna blow it up nor should they. They brought back the stars so for better or worse they've committed to trying to make the playoffs for the next few years.

Perhaps I'm an eternal optimist but I don't think their next year outlook is as bleak as you think. They're going to have 20 million or so in cap space to play around with this off season. There's a lot they could do to try to transform the team with that much space. The problem is if Hextall is running the show they'll probably do a bunch of stupid poo poo.

The main issue next year is going to be whether or not Crosby and Malkin can maintain their current level of play. If they can and the Pens actually address some of their issues, they could be a better team next year.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Even the loser thread turns into PensChat within a page. Impressive.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gonna need a poster count by team to find out whether we really post more of if we're just making up a proportional amount of chatter

I mean it's not my fault no one wants to talk about how sad the coyotes are for pages on end

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

The Pens are a loser team

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pungry posted:

But for the first time in15 years, we belong here now. :sigh: Please pity us, woe is us with only the 3 Cups

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

gonna need a poster count by team to find out whether we really post more of if we're just making up a proportional amount of chatter

I mean it's not my fault no one wants to talk about how sad the coyotes are for pages on end

...to be fair, though, maybe I/we should leave it to the Canucks fans until the Pens are actually eliminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pungry posted:

Pens posters are the hockey version of Cubs posters here.