Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait a minute. Does this mean we're about to get a whole lot of new users? Ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

anyone who knows that bellingcat started on SA knows enough about SA to stay far away from this cursed place

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Didn't you see? He just tweeted it out, like some Trump JR. Oh man we're definitely getting internet people in here now. Oh no. Oh god

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Karate Bastard posted:

Lol chuds don't pay money for anything BUT grifts.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1361230069088325633?s=20

This is our very own Brown Moses. He was a regular fixture in the Libya threads if I remember right, back in 2011. He was one of the early geolocation open source intelligence people and he honed those skills to prove people wrong on these forums lol

Also hilarious is that there are a handful of stupid loving assholes on this very website who hiss about him being CIA because he chaos-dunk owned them at some point

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Also hilarious is that there are a handful of stupid loving assholes on this very website who hiss about him being CIA because he chaos-dunk owned them at some point

lol pioneering an entirely new field of intelligence for the digital social media era to own your posting enemies

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Only greyzone reading tankie morons seriously think he's MI5 or CIA.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Why does an Air National Guardsman have those docs lmao

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

As someone literally just said, he was an IT guy for the intelligence officers stationed there. So he had access to them as a side-effect.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Der Kyhe posted:

"It can always get stupider" is an universal constant.

Speaking of stupidity, I've been reading "The Plague" and this quote is so on the nose

quote:

When a war breaks out people say: 'It won't last, it's too stupid.' And war is certainly too stupid, but that doesn't prevent it from lasting.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah I know but I mean like good lord why does a 21 year old National Guard member ever have anything close to that level of access, that's insane he just put it on a USB stick and went home

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah I know but I mean like good lord why does a 21 year old National Guard member ever have anything close to that level of access, that's insane he just put it on a USB stick and went home

because senior officers don't do analysis, or reports. That's all junior servicemembers in intelligence. They do the collation and intel analysis and while they will typically never have any clue where their intel comes from as far as methods, they are the ones analyzing it and turning it into reports for people higher up. Is it stupid? You make the call! The president's daily brief is prepared by a mid-level intel officer, at best :D Much more likely that these reports are prepared by some fuckass shavetail O-2 or O-3 and that's at the highest level! With less important things, lol..

Or IT! IT Admins have tons of access to poo poo they really shouldn't and now we see why :D

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 13, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

You don't need security clearance to read everything when you run the system that the files are stored on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

he's on like the lowest rung of having access to these kind of daily briefings, probably because he fixes the computers people use to look at this stuff. so i doubt he needed to have access to them directly for his job but he did have access to them as a consequence of doing his job, because its a real big pain in the rear end to have it so your computer fixer isn't legally allowed to look at the screen

some barely out of his teens numbskull stealing classified info for posting cred isn't the stupidest intel leak in the history of intelligence but its pretty god drat stupid and fairly novel. to me the most interesting thing is that the nature of the leak, on a tiny and obscure racist discord for children, meant that he could absolutely stuff the thing full of intel before anyone detected that a leak was happening. instead of like manning or snowden or someone who had to load up a thumb drive with as many dox as possible then smuggle that out

normally extensive background checks and threatening the Wrath Of God Almighty is a decent enough combo to prevent situations like this from happening too often but they will happen from time to time and hopefully for less ridiculous reasons than trying to impress a ladyposter in minecraft or whatever the gently caress

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean I don't think our intelligence community thought they had to put safeguards in place to keep some 21 year old from stealing God knows how many documents so he could show them to his video game friends.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's snowden all over again. Nothing was learned.

To clown on the entire west, memorize the phrase "have you turned it on and off again?" and get a job as a computer toucher at some irrelevant poo poo hole station and all of minecraft is your oyster lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

It's snowden all over again. Nothing was learned.

To clown on the entire west, memorize the phrase "have you turned it on and off again?" and get a job as a computer toucher at some irrelevant poo poo hole station and all of minecraft is your oyster lmao

Eh not quite Snowden this time! Snowden was a contractor with the NSA, this clown was uniformed NatGuard. That's why the Big Boot is coming down on the leaker and Snowden was able to escape to Russia and live more or less unmolested since then. There are degrees of how hosed you are when it comes to intelligence leaks. In terms of raw impact Snowden was much more influential. This dude hosed another country primarily (and himself), but because he's uniformed and property of Uncle Sam, the level of truly boned is just a lot higher as a result.

To illustrate, if Snowden was caught, he'd go to normal federal prison and ironically, had he just done so, he would've been out and a free man for the last few years rather than living in Russia as a propaganda showpiece. This leaker by contrast is going to Leavenworth to make big ones into little ones, and if/when he gets out, it's going to be measured in the double digit years length of time. That uniform, that clearance, that MOS, and that inherent trust with it make all the difference in the world as far as this poo poo's concerned.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Toiling in the meme mines, crafting my discord post

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Why the gently caress does the Massachusetts Air National Guard need to have a full intelligence brief on every aspect of the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

I would appreciate it if our civilian oversight would ask this exactly worded question to the military brass. Because it is a very good loving question.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i guess a good analogy is "why was a 21 year old driving the big truck?" when we have to entrust young people with entry level dangerous or important jobs at some point. its just that sometimes that fresh young employee drives through the facility wall causing millions in damages, or leaks critical national secrets that alter the course of world events. it happens

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The number of people with Top Secret clearance is 1.3 million. How on earth you can expect to keep anything from leaking is beyond me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

The number of people with Top Secret clearance is 1.3 million. How on earth you can expect to keep anything from leaking is beyond me.

right, that's why it is a bit of a surprise that it doesn't happen more often

the notable thing about this leak isn't that it happened, its that it happened for such incredibly stupid reasons. did this guy get a fat paycheck or the ride of his life from a blonde honeypot? no, he impressed a handful of gamer children online. very good thing to detonate your entire life over lmao

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I would appreciate it if our civilian oversight would ask this exactly worded question to the military brass. Because it is a very good loving question.

"He ran the computer systems as the admin, how were we suppose to give him less access?" would be the pretty easy answer to be honest.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

TS clearance is a big bucket. The compartmentalization of intelligence means that what really matters is the combination of things after that TS.

EG:

TS//SI//NOFORN//REL TO ***

This would be Top Secret (one of multiple levels from Confidential > Secret > Top Secret) // Signals Intelligence [how the info was obtained] // No Foreigners [no access beyond US personnel] // Related to ABC123, whatever issue was at hand. There are many other qualifiers than can be appended to this string, each of which narrows the amount of people who are able to see it without raising immediate and concerning red flags resulting in counterintelligence action. TLDR: just because you might be able to technically access it doesn't mean someone didn't see you access it, wonder why you needed to access it, investigate, see you don't have access, and come to you asking why you're snooping around things you don't need to know and that's a real short route to bad times for you

With this combination the number of people with access goes from 1.3 million to about 1000, as stated in some of the recent reporting. Classification is on a need to know basis as much as it is on a clearance basis. Someone with TS clearance in the nukes program wouldn't be able to access TS info in the satellite or collection sections, for example. That helps to narrow down who has access CONSIDERABLY.

Stuff marked Top Secret doesn't just mean it's available to view for anyone with Top Secret access. They have to have approved access to everything else in that string too.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 13, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

spankmeister posted:

Threats and peer pressure mostly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Play posted:

Also pretty funny that apparently the enormous US intelligence apparatus was too busy circle jerking itself and needed Bellingcat's help to find this guy.

Bellingcat which effectively started on this very forum, lol that owns

People keep trying to poo poo talk Bellingcat but they keep bringing in results where others fail.

This is not to Bellingcat's credit so much as it is an indictment of everyone else.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Play posted:

Okay maybe groomer is going too far but running a discord server full of little boys and acting like their father/prophet/instructor-in the arts of racism is pretty freaking weird

I'm old enough to remember when the right wing actually had too much respect for the military and national secrets
Disclaimer: I am not defending this guy and I hope he goes to jail forever :) :) :)

That said, if he started this Discord when he was himself a teenager it is a lot easier to understand how he could be this stupid as an """adult"""

Delightful memories of my 14-year-old buddies and I getting into D&D when a 21-year-old who had been running games at the local gaming store for years started running one for us, and all of our parents in unison were like "so, we know he is a pedophile, what do we do about it" (and the 21-year-old had the only appropriate response, meeting each of our parents in turn and being like "oh I get it, I would assume the worst about me too")

Toxic Mental posted:

Already covered on some level but fun insider fact, the cleaning person who empties our trash cans has clearance. Possibly more clearance than I do actually, now that I think of it

spankmeister posted:

It is funny, this really speaks to how amazingly good we are at finding people who take this poo poo seriously, or at least, you know, seriously enough to know you should not give state secrets to your private Discord with Russians in it. "WE NEED A TOTAL OVERHAUL OF THE CLEARANCE PROCESS!" I mean maybe we do, but 1 out of 1.3 million is pretty awesome. U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!

Also unrelated, I think Bellingcat is the only successful project to come out of the Forums where we did not disown and ban the creator. Here is where someone tells me Brown Moses is banned. But at the very least we actually did a good job staying on neutral terms!!!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Migs?!?!

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619022538964995?t=aH0juNWef6DwF_M9JUQeSQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619042172526593?t=jiKttLfBKVhnUa4KLnlucQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619045997805571?t=MCEpszCrKub4JnHKpb9EcA&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619049600720896?t=IwS4bM-lYeB4HeOznGAh8A&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619056965922820?t=r3rS_QeCmOiiKA1lIulPIA&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646619060375830528?t=BVvshL-jnG0Jwab0as0wmg&s=19

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

TS clearance is a big bucket. The compartmentalization of intelligence means that what really matters is the combination of things after that TS.

EG:

This would be Top Secret (one of multiple levels from Confidential > Secret > Top Secret) // Signals Intelligence [how the info was obtained] // No Foreigners [no access beyond US personnel] // Related to ABC123, whatever issue was at hand. There are many other qualifiers than can be appended to this string, each of which narrows the amount of people who are able to see it without raising immediate and concerning red flags resulting in counterintelligence action. TLDR: just because you might be able to technically access it doesn't mean someone didn't see you access it, wonder why you needed to access it, investigate, see you don't have access, and come to you asking why you're snooping around things you don't need to know and that's a real short route to bad times for you

With this combination the number of people with access goes from 1.3 million to about 1000, as stated in some of the recent reporting. Classification is on a need to know basis as much as it is on a clearance basis. Someone with TS clearance in the nukes program wouldn't be able to access TS info in the satellite or collection sections, for example. That helps to narrow down who has access CONSIDERABLY.

Stuff marked Top Secret doesn't just mean it's available to view for anyone with Top Secret access. They have to have approved access to everything else in that string too.

Cool so why are they mailing around this incredibly sensitive stuff to Yokel McNazi over at the Air National Guard of Massachusetts? Why would anyone there need to know the latest juicy gossip from Macrons iPhone or whatever?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also unrelated, I think Bellingcat is the only successful project to come out of the Forums where we did not disown and ban the creator. Here is where someone tells me Brown Moses is banned. But at the very least we actually did a good job staying on neutral terms!!!

He's not banned, but Assad wishes he was.

spankmeister posted:

Cool so why are they mailing around this incredibly sensitive stuff to Yokel McNazi over at the Air National Guard of Massachusetts? Why would anyone there need to know the latest juicy gossip from Macrons iPhone or whatever?

As stated like 50 times in the thread, he's the admin of the computer systems at the intelligence wing of the base where a bunch of non-National Guard intelligence agents are stationed. Your admin is gonna have access by virtue of being an admin.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Can't answer that one chief beyond IT admin having IT admin access as a nature of the job, your guess is as good as mine beyond that :blyat:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Already covered on some level but fun insider fact, the cleaning person who empties our trash cans has clearance. Possibly more clearance than I do actually, now that I think of it

That's always funny to inform people of.

Anyone who does any long term work on a base has a clearance. The people who work at the NEX stocking shelves and running the register like they would at any crappy Target have a secret clearance.
The people who work at the Starbucks in the Pentagon almost 100% have a TS clearance :v:

I really wanna know what they pay for someone to put up with that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks for the explanations regardless, didn't meant to come off as flippant.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you want to nitpick the details, his formal title wasn't IT guy but

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1646598529610141697
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1646598531057176592

which is basically IT guy.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1646586927754215429
The T-55s have arrived at last to the front. Reportedly, they ended up in Zaporizhzhia, probably for use as pillboxes or similar static defenses, unless they're desperate enough to actually send them into the teeth of whatever attacks the Ukrainian military have planned there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that starbucks has literally hundreds of nukes from every serious nuclear power aimed at it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Toxic Mental posted:

You think WW3 is bad, just wait until you see WW4

sorry bud, WW4 will be awesome because world wars work on Star Trek Movie rules.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that starbucks has literally hundreds of nukes from every serious nuclear power aimed at it

willo567's location confirmed

Crossposting from GIP thread for lols:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2023

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Philonius posted:

But that's the part that gets me. The leaked documents contained estimates of actual Ukrainian and Russian combat losses, and assessments of the likelihood of a Ukrainian offensive to succeed. There's just no way that a 21 year old air national guardsman would need to know these things. Or anyone else outside of senior military circles, for that matter. Piss poor information security.

you don't decide this, fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

HonorableTB posted:

EG:

this whole post is really inaccurate