Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorry you got born into this Holocene. From where you're posting this must seem like a 300,000 year run of bad luck. Truth is... the game was rigged from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

celadon posted:

can you define these completely awesome conditions? does everyone get to eat meat every day? fly in a plane now and then? does everyone have a car? how many square feet of appropriate air-conditioned or heated personal space is available? everyones only working from 18-65 on a four day work week and then living a healthy retirement for another twenty years, right?

i have no doubt that you could create societies that provide full and vibrant and satisfying lives for many many many billions of human beings off of one earths worth of material and energy. but its silly to pretend that there are not limits to what is available in the material realm, and one big thing that is going to be necessary for there to be a chance at this being less of a hellscape is finding a way to convince people that they can be happy and fulfilled as we drastically reduce personal freedom and mobility and consumption.

just put some research points into deep scanners on your engineering tech tree, you'll find those rare mineral deposits easy peasy

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

err posted:

How would this change under communism? Does communism have a technological bonus capital hasn't figured out?

the absolute best part about that stupid "100 companies" meme is that none of the people who use it can name the top ten

because guess what the #1 is?

its the chinese communist party's state monopoly on coal production

kkkorporations! loving deng!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Cuttlefush posted:

the issue is not where or not there will be a depopulation event, it's that people are staking out positions advocating for it. you see the difference?

we agree, based on your quote here, there will be a depopulation event, but you seem to believe that advocating for voluntary birth rate reduction is like mad crazy unethical. What other means of depopulation event do you believe will happen that are more ethical than voluntary birth rate reduction. i cannot think of one personally, most of the other paths are like war and disease and starvation based

i read the quotes you quoted by car hater and the vast majority are referring to depopulation in the broader sense, not in the gunning people down sense, except for one or two about nukes or rapturing that are obvious shitposts. and when people talk about depopulation on the century-long scale i think its generally about reducing birth rates, or since that's a common position that doesn't require death camps, its a more charitable form of conversation to assume that's the idea being referenced.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

err posted:

How would this change under communism? Does communism have a technological bonus capital hasn't figured out?

communism only works on paper which is recyclable so it's greener than capitalism and involves much less plastic waste

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

celadon posted:

we agree, based on your quote here, there will be a depopulation event, but you seem to believe that advocating for voluntary birth rate reduction is like mad crazy unethical. What other means of depopulation event do you believe will happen that are more ethical than voluntary birth rate reduction. i cannot think of one personally, most of the other paths are like war and disease and starvation based

i read the quotes you quoted by car hater and the vast majority are referring to depopulation in the broader sense, not in the gunning people down sense, except for one or two about nukes or rapturing that are obvious shitposts. and when people talk about depopulation on the century-long scale i think its generally about reducing birth rates, or since that's a common position that doesn't require death camps, its a more charitable form of conversation to assume that's the idea being referenced.

we do not agree and i'm going to pass on whatever this is.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cuttlefush posted:

we do not agree and i'm going to pass on whatever this is.

I think it's a fair question given you gave an anti-materialist argument earlier.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

when people say or imply that a reduced population would be less stress on the environment, a patently obvious thing, you have two options for how to interpret and react to that.

a.) you can assume they mean the well studied and publicized and agreed upon correlations between food/clothing/shelter/medicine/education and reduced family size, a policy and narrative that perfectly fits the global leftist vibe of cspam

ORRRRRRRR

b.) you invent a vibe and narrative in your head, read it between the lines of everything you see, and start grandstanding and moralizing about how you're against the bad posters that you seem to be conversing with on some other page cuz we can't see it in the thread.

if you do the former you just kinda shrug off how depressingly solvable it all is and close the tab

if you do the latter you get to be the center of attention for several days while loudly showing off how much better a person you are!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Can't BELIEVE all these baby-worshippers want to keep women uneducated second class citizens who are pregnant 24/7, and for undeveloped countries to stay that way. I on the other hand am a feminist. This is Disgusting and I hope there are bans and probations in the pipeline.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

TehSaurus posted:

I think you are lying to yourself about the first part. We don’t know the exact details but boy it sure does seem to be getting faster and worse every time we look. This is not a scenario that invites optimism

Eh I don't think that we aren't locked in to 10c degree warming yet. We're locked into hundreds of million dead, and a bleak future of social turmoil and collapse, during which a lot of poo poo can happen which might flip the script in a million different ways. If that counts as optimism then lol.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

White Rock posted:

Eh I don't think that we aren't locked in to 10c degree warming yet. We're locked into hundreds of million dead, and a bleak future of social turmoil and collapse, during which a lot of poo poo can happen which might flip the script in a million different ways. If that counts as optimism then lol.

Freudian slip

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's not a fair question. it's not even a question. again, overpopulation is not an issue that is to be solved. if you think that overpopulation is a major issue and that it should be addressed directly in any way, you are wrong. that is a reactionary argument and it doesn't make sense to start talking about how the depopulation event will happen or whatever the gently caress. this is basic stuff. i really dont know what the hell is wrong with some of you. i just hope you'll get blasted repeatedly for it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

4d3d3d posted:

Can't BELIEVE all these baby-worshippers want to keep women uneducated second class citizens who are pregnant 24/7, and for undeveloped countries to stay that way. I on the other hand am a feminist. This is Disgusting and I hope there are bans and probations in the pipeline.

having kids ftw

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Cuttlefush posted:

it's not a fair question. it's not even a question. again, overpopulation is not an issue that is to be solved. if you think that overpopulation is a major issue and that it should be addressed directly in any way, you are wrong. that is a reactionary argument and it doesn't make sense to start talking about how the depopulation event will happen or whatever the gently caress. this is basic stuff. i really dont know what the hell is wrong with some of you. i just hope you'll get blasted repeatedly for it

You can't be older than high school age mate

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

i just hope you'll get blasted repeatedly for it

that's a form of population reduction

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
255 new posts since this morning? Did an ice sheet slough off somewhere?

No, it's just climate goons falling prey to bad-faith brigade posting from another thread.

Oh well.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

look, they recently opened a couple of carbon capture plants, you're all arguing about a nothingburger

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yes, brigading from the same subforum by people who post in this thread. that's what brigading is.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

having kids ftw

Those giant evangelical families? Absolutely based. More kids = better than

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1643878709806395393
https://twitter.com/HarshaWalia/status/1646144432897679360

MSN posted:

The government, in office since October, has pledged to curb mass immigration but some 31,300 migrants have arrived in Italy so far in 2023, interior ministry data shows, up from around 7,900 in the same period last year.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

255 new posts since this morning? Did an ice sheet slough off somewhere?

No, it's just climate goons falling prey to bad-faith brigade posting from another thread.

Oh well.

omfg this is what I get for skipping to the latest posts what a loving probation

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

yes, brigading from the same subforum by people who post in this thread. that's what brigading is.

brigading a thread i've been posting in since the beginning ftw

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Yeah I hadn’t considered that if overpopulation doesn’t matter, we should be having as many children as possible to increase the chance of spawning a civilization style ‘Great Scientist’ who could get us out of this climate mess

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

everyone who pushes back on me is a bad faith troll

err
Apr 11, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

the absolute best part about that stupid "100 companies" meme is that none of the people who use it can name the top ten

It's a liberal/anti-materialist argument so of course the liberals in this subforum use it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

celadon posted:

Yeah I hadn’t considered that if overpopulation doesn’t matter, we should be having as many children as possible to increase the chance of spawning a civilization style ‘Great Scientist’ who could get us out of this climate mess

I, for one, am ready to gently caress and suck my way out of ecological overshoot.

Apologies for not engaging with this thread with rigor and sincerity on this particular topic. I've learned that this is a no-go debate zone AKA "the Rime of the Ancient Moderator."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

celadon posted:

can you define these completely awesome conditions? does everyone get to eat meat every day? fly in a plane now and then? does everyone have a car? how many square feet of appropriate air-conditioned or heated personal space is available? everyones only working from 18-65 on a four day work week and then living a healthy retirement for another twenty years, right?

i have no doubt that you could create societies that provide full and vibrant and satisfying lives for many many many billions of human beings off of one earths worth of material and energy. but its silly to pretend that there are not limits to what is available in the material realm, and one big thing that is going to be necessary for there to be a chance at this being less of a hellscape is finding a way to convince people that they can be happy and fulfilled as we drastically reduce personal freedom and mobility and consumption.

i haven't run the numbers and probably couldn't do it accurately if i tried, but i'm going with "all basic needs + education & cultural needs" for this.

the inefficiency of the market system itself is absolutely incredible, it was this thread or one of the many others that examine this hell reality from different angles, but someone was posting how already there's more housing then homeless in the US, i think i posted grapes of wrath 5 times across different forums, it's deranged.

err posted:

I'd argue yes. Didn't they go from dirt farming with horses to landing robots on loving venus, extremely rapidly?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I fear the thread has hit yet another cringe tipping point.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
He gazed up at the 4 million tonne cruise ship. Thirty years it had taken him to learn what kind of logic was underpinning his society. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He knew there were no limits to growth.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Its haunted by time and made everyone unable to resist posting like a dumber version of him.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
burrow into the earth & become a troglodyte imo, this is the ultimate solution

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

the well studied and publicized and agreed upon correlations between food/clothing/shelter/medicine/education and reduced family size, a policy and narrative that perfectly fits the global leftist vibe of cspam

i don't actually think the literature backs you up on this as strongly as you imagine. because as class and wealth increases, family sizes decrease but material consumption skyrockets.

of course one can take a class blind view and ignore the impacts of class and wealth on resource consumption, but thats intentionally missing the big picture.

1 wealthy american goon can consume as many calories as the average family of 4 in Zambia, etc.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We go through these neat little waves every few months and its always a fascinating process to watch and participate in.

These king tides just keep getting higher

err
Apr 11, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'd argue yes. Didn't they go from dirt farming with horses to landing robots on loving venus, extremely rapidly?

Would America nationalizing ExxonMobil/Chevron change our built-in need for carbon energy? Even renewables which requires carbon energy to build/extract/maintain?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i haven't run the numbers and probably couldn't do it accurately if i tried, but i'm going with "all basic needs + education & cultural needs" for this.

Yeah i agree that it’s entirely in our capacity as a specified to provide basics needs and healthcare and education to many billions of people in a fully sustainable way. I mostly want to draw attention to the point that a lot of the things people take for granted will need to be removed or severely limited and that’s going to be a huge difficulty in selling to people.

Like if you have the option of getting limited to 4oz meat and 5gal gas a week and the other choice is pushing a button for unlimited apps at Applebees but someone in the global south dies, I think the Applebees party is going to do pretty well at the polls. And we need to be fully able to counter that impulse

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

err posted:

Would America nationalizing ExxonMobil/Chevron change our built-in need for carbon energy? Even renewables which requires carbon energy to build/extract/maintain?

If we broke up the big banks tomorrow would that end racism?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

most of the planet has already agreed that there's cringe in the kids anyway, global tfr is around 2.3 and dropping fast

south korea has basically instituted a non-official one child policy out of sheer capitalist alienation, and sperm and eggs worldwide will soon be 50 % plastic by volume so no worries

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

err posted:

i think potentially, a minimally functional synthetic oil industry could be bootstrapped from what we have now. You can crack even raw fresh cut lumber, it's just not as nice as the crap you get from the ground. Probably you're gonna need some nukes? This isn't possible because there's no real way to direct economy i guess. & nobody who can wants to.

celadon posted:

Yeah i agree that it’s entirely in our capacity as a specified to provide basics needs and healthcare and education to many billions of people in a fully sustainable way. I mostly want to draw attention to the point that a lot of the things people take for granted will need to be removed or severely limited and that’s going to be a huge difficulty in selling to people.

Like if you have the option of getting limited to 4oz meat and 5gal gas a week and the other choice is pushing a button for unlimited apps at Applebees but someone in the global south dies, I think the Applebees party is going to do pretty well at the polls. And we need to be fully able to counter that impulse

oh yeah, and if some president of literally any kind started implementing functional climate policy there would be blood in the street &/or their brain on the sidewalk for this reason.

Trabisnikof posted:

If we broke up the big banks tomorrow would that end racism?

eventually it actually might

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

i don't actually think the literature backs you up on this as strongly as you imagine. because as class and wealth increases, family sizes decrease but material consumption skyrockets.

of course one can take a class blind view and ignore the impacts of class and wealth on resource consumption, but thats intentionally missing the big picture.

1 wealthy american goon can consume as many calories as the average family of 4 in Zambia, etc.

get this pro-natalist bad faith d&d brigading techno-triumphalist out of here

silicone thrills posted:

We go through these neat little waves every few months and its always a fascinating process to watch and participate in.

These king tides just keep getting higher

nothing will ever top emtme3.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
staring at the bottom of the canyon as the car approaches terminal velocity, loudly insisting that we can't know what's going to happen, it's all extrapolation!!