Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Elden Ring and BoTW up there in my mind for game of the decade and they're oddly quite similar in terms of gameplay and exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s like saying “getting better at a game is a difficulty option” which to be honest is the most Soulsbrain opinion possible, so sure, have at it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beastie posted:

Elden Ring and BoTW up there in my mind for game of the decade and they're oddly quite similar in terms of gameplay and exploration.

Yeap same. Weird cause open world games rarely click with me but these two I loved exploring so much.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beastie posted:

they're perfect games, op.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

History Comes Inside! posted:

Summons and levelling up are absolutely not “difficulty options” and claiming otherwise is silly.

Allow me to restate.

In many games you can use a menu setting to change the difficulty of the game, which changes various parameters such as how much health the enemies have or how much damage they do (or likewise for the player). The chief source of difficulty in Soulslikes comes from the boss encounters, in which success means killing the boss before they kill you. There are ways to use high skill to succeed at doing this via timed dodging and blocking and clever consumable use, and indeed ridiculous no-hit runs of the games exist. Absent that skill, as it is absent from me, you need to find a way to either kill faster or die slower. Instead of a menu option that changes how much damage you do or how much health you have, Elden Ring provides a way for you to gain damage, health, defense, and "control" by doing other content before attempting a given boss; imagine a training montage and the Rocky music, perhaps, as you sweep through some catacombs. Previous Soulslikes, to my inexpert knowledge, made this a much more onerous task because there was much less non-boss content from which to gain in power, which meant that if you couldn't reach the (high) skill floor then you weren't really going to proceed in the game.

When I say that the pace of open world content is Elden Ring's difficulty setting, I mean that you can use the completion of that content, and how you choose to outfit yourself, as a way to affect the difficulty of the primary boss content. This is basically why Elden Ring is the only Soulslike I'm ever likely to finish, unless playing it somewhat "overlevelled" actually gits me more gud in the process. It's a fundamentally more accessible entry in the genre than the others because of that ability to shape the difficulty of the content-gating fights.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s not a difficulty option, that’s playing the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is the role of a difficulty option, then? How does it affect the player's experience differently? What if you had to collect something in the game, via easy fights, to unlock a difficulty menu?

I think there's a big difference between how much ER lets you affect the required skill level and "forgivingness" of its major content from the options provided by other Soulslikes, and that it can meet the needs of most people who ask for a difficulty slider for such a game: it makes the game completable for players who have lower skill, or don't wish to try as hard. It's true that it is also playing the game, which is wonderful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Talorat posted:

Just don’t be like me and forget to remove your sd card.

i did this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I say this not because I think people should be sneered at for wanting adjustable difficulty, but because I didn't at first understand how much control I had over the skill requirements of the game, and it kept me for quite a while from trying something that I have come to enjoy a lot. Perhaps the explanation will also help someone else decide to give it a try, and also come to enjoy it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops of any kind to unlock a difficulty option, you should just have a difficulty option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If the open world content feels like hoops to jump through, rather than enjoyable in and of itself, I agree that a lower-skill person will probably not like Elden Ring as much as I do.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Subjunctive posted:

I say this not because I think people should be sneered at for wanting adjustable difficulty, but because I didn't at first understand how much control I had over the skill requirements of the game, and it kept me for quite a while from trying something that I have come to enjoy a lot. Perhaps the explanation will also help someone else decide to give it a try, and also come to enjoy it.

I'm trash at Souls games and I agree with you 100%.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played and finished Elden Ring. I’d have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I could have just turned down the difficulty.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The game has difficulty options. If you want sliders because you think their neat that’s fine but that doesn’t make it how difficulty options work

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I played and finished Elden Ring. I’d have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I could have just turned down the difficulty.

I feel the same, though I didn't end up finishing it. I was essentially doing fine (as others mentioned, bosses weren't giving me much trouble thanks to summons), but I don't really enjoy the feeling of constantly having to be on my toes as I explore. As an example, when I first found the big underground area I was like "awesome, can't wait to explore this" and then constantly had to deal with these guys who fired powerful hard-to-dodge arrows that knocked me off my mount and did a bunch of damage. I understand why other people like that sort of ever-present pressure/danger, but it's not for me (and is a bit of a shame because the world is very pretty and I would have enjoyed exploring more otherwise).

It's similar to the issue I had with Sekiro. I actually enjoyed Sekiro's bosses, because you could just focus all your attention on a single thing, but I didn't enjoy navigating the levels. I have bad spatial skills and it is difficult to keep track of where all the enemies are. I end up just being stressed out constantly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never bothered getting Elden Ring both because I'm not really into high fantasy but mostly because I didn't want to pay $80 for a game to kick my rear end and make me feel bad about sucking. I get enough of that in multiplayer!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does the steam network just suck today. hasnt loaded poo poo on my deck or pc since lunch

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rolo posted:

Yeap same. Weird cause open world games rarely click with me but these two I loved exploring so much.

It's because they actually have exploration, which is exceptionally rare in open world games. BotW is probably one of the best exploration games ever made, with Elden Ring being less so imo but still hitting the same notes.

Like people routinely complain about BotW being sparse or empty, but that's the whole point. Going somewhere interesting feels like an actual journey, without sparkly points of interest trying to distract you every ten feet. It takes a really confident developer to recognize that "that looks interesting, how do I get over there?" is more than enough to make a world engaging.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

i did this

I managed to remember to take out the SD card before replacing the SSD

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paradoxish posted:

It's because they actually have exploration, which is exceptionally rare in open world games. BotW is probably one of the best exploration games ever made, with Elden Ring being less so imo but still hitting the same notes.

Like people routinely complain about BotW being sparse or empty, but that's the whole point. Going somewhere interesting feels like an actual journey, without sparkly points of interest trying to distract you every ten feet. It takes a really confident developer to recognize that "that looks interesting, how do I get over there?" is more than enough to make a world engaging.

The problem is there isn't really anywhere interesting in BotW, just endless shrines

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem is there isn't really anywhere interesting in BotW, just endless shrines

I liked the art so much that “I wanna climb this mountain and look around” was enough for me. The rest of it was just gravy.

And I liked the shrines, koroks and memory puzzles.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RBA Starblade posted:

tbh I think that's where I'm making the distinction between something like botw and other open world games

Like there's nothing interesting at the top of K2, it's just there. BotW focuses on making it interesting to just go places and get around, which I think is distinct from a lot of open world games. Going back to the discussion about roguelikes and open world games, I think it's fine that that kind of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's ultimately much different from games like GTA or AC in its whole approach.

I basically spent the whole time I played BotW just loving the hell out of each new little area I found, and more "stuff" would have somehow made the open spaces between a lot less interesting for me.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Excited to get mine in once I get home!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

tbh I think that's where I'm making the distinction between something like botw and other open world games

Like there's nothing interesting at the top of K2, it's just there. BotW focuses on making it interesting to just go places and get around, which I think is distinct from a lot of open world games. Going back to the discussion about roguelikes and open world games, I think it's fine that that kind of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's ultimately much different from games like GTA or AC in its whole approach.

I basically spent the whole time I played BotW just loving the hell out of each new little area I found, and more "stuff" would have somehow made the open spaces between a lot less interesting for me.

You can have a game like BotW with more things to do. BotW is more fun to explore simply because its world is much better designed and the art/sound direction is exceptional*. But it could absolutely benefit from more things to do. It's not like the only options are "Ubisoft open world" and "open world where you just take in the sights." Doing what little NPC-related content BotW has makes me want more content like that. Stuff like the lead-up to the divine beasts.

Hell, it looks like TotK will be "BotW with more stuff to do"! Clearly Nintendo thought it could benefit from more stuff. It just would have been an unrealistically tall order to expect that from BotW, which was already a huge accomplishment. But this time around they can focus more on stuff like that, since the groundwork was completed with BotW.

* I think this is what people are actually enjoying when they talk about "liking BotW's exploration." BotW isn't enjoyable because it has less stuff to do, or because "there are interesting things to find" - it's enjoyable because it's simply a much better designed world than pretty much every other open world game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Suran37 posted:

Excited to get mine in once I get home!

it's really not that hard as long as you have the screwdriver and a pair of tweezers. Go slow on the aluminum tape and you shouldn't rip it

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel like there was still quite a bit in botw that you discovered just by running around. Mask vendor, eventide island, those mazes, the big statues in the desert that were a big shrine you had to scale to solve, the dragons and weird rainbow mount thing. It wasn't just the cookie cutter stuff.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

UP AND ADAM posted:

I feel like there was still quite a bit in botw that you discovered just by running around. Mask vendor, eventide island, those mazes, the big statues in the desert that were a big shrine you had to scale to solve, the dragons and weird rainbow mount thing. It wasn't just the cookie cutter stuff.

People who like to harp on the shrine stuff ignore the fact that almost without exception getting to the shrine itself was a much more interesting puzzle than whatever was contained therein. It encouraged you to push on all the nooks and crannies of the world.

The little "shrine nearby" ping is like crack.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PantsBandit posted:

People who like to harp on the shrine stuff ignore the fact that almost without exception getting to the shrine itself was a much more interesting puzzle than whatever was contained therein. It encouraged you to push on all the nooks and crannies of the world.

The little "shrine nearby" ping is like crack.

I harp on the shrine stuff because it was a lame reward for an uninteresting journey.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

God drat, rise of the tomb raider is so good on deck. Not verified but it runs like butter on medium and it's fun to play. Not great with the battery tho

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Ytlaya posted:

i did this

🫡

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stranger of Paradise with Proton Hotfix actually runs pretty smooth. I threw a fireball at a Marlboro and did the “kill 51 enemies” mission at a stable 30FPS the whole time. I put on AA and medium textures, and also set TDP limit to 15.

Could be better, I could probably go for 40 but 30 is totally fine.

FF14 performance tho, still impressed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Who plays warframe on their deck and what the hell do you have your aim / look sensitivity set to? The default 50 is lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

they're perfect games, op.

big time

Super No Vacancy posted:

does the steam network just suck

yes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I managed to remember to take out the SD card before replacing the SSD

The sad thing is that I even noticed it was weirdly hard to remove the bottom half of the backplate. I was thinking "this seems strangely difficult, but it says it should pop off so I guess I'll just try harder." Then when I finally pop it off I feel something fall into my lap, and it is the broken remains of my SD card.

I was also feeling excited that I had removed the heavily stripped screw with the iFixIt tools, so I was eager to finally get the backplate on. I probably would have been more cautious otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Subjunctive posted:

The developer came from gambling machine software, so this is a bit of a redemption story I suppose.

I didn't know this, and as a former sound designer and composer for Spielo/IGT, I am VERY interested in learning more about this.

I know this isn't the game dev thread but I just wanted to post this video. It's all about how presentation can equal 'fun', in whatever way you want to define that concept. We dealt a lot with that sort of thing when designing games, and specifically for me, when I was putting sound to it all, making it all 'pop'. This video mainly touches on visual aspects of 'juice', but as anyone who's played a shooter with excellent gun foley and sounds, audio is a HUGE component of that 'juice' as well, and I miss working with that as a full time job every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg

Vampire Survivors' main art kind of sucks, but the sprite work is great. Very SOTN-inspired (along with a lot of classic Castlevania-esque art). The music is serviceable, but the sound design while not groundbreaking or extremely unique, does its job very well. The level up/item pickup fanfare, while brief, is like a direct shot of happy chemicals to your brain.

If they used to work with slot machines, it shows.

It all could stand to be polished, visually but hey, it's not like it's not selling like crazy. Nothing anyone is going to say about the gameplay will likely sell anyone on it; you have to experience it to 'get it'.

I literally don't like Magic Survival at all, which is the game VS aped almost everything from. The reason, I realized, is because MS is a bunch of silhouettes chasing you, also a silhouette, and it's way less flashy. No shade (heh) meant to the dev of MS, it just doesn't click with me.

Meanwhile I've put tons of time into VS, a game I had initially written off because I didn't like the game it was based on whatsoever.

So, in clearer terms, people write off VS without having played a game like it. I had even written it off after playing the game it's based directly on and not liking it at all, and even I ended up loving VS. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 14, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My friend plays mobile legends, or some variation of it, and while the ui and sound are great the one thing that drives me slightly insane is that when he wins a match there's some "6/6" or variant that appears and it's large ugly lime San serif text unceremoniously placed in the front. That can't be something that is part of that design philosophy, right?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
vampire survivors has become more polished over time, they hired steph sterling to write the lore for all the enemies

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

except on a technical level , it runs worse than ever now. great game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone please buy TMNT Shredders Revenge so it goes on sale and I can buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

tuyop posted:

I have a couple of spinal injuries that cause me issues. The last few months my neck has been pretty unmanageable. So I have this tablet floor stand from Amazon. This lets me do my job (teaching remotely) and recreation (watching Star Trek with my partner) while laying flat on my back without moving my neck. I love it.

It's a more expensive solution but the Nreal Airs are very good with the deck and I use them to play the steam deck while laying in bed all the time. You can just lay the deck on your lap and leave your back on a pillow. You can use a apple docking adapter for it to connect it to an apple device.