Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's Malladus?

Nothing, what's Malladus with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Malladus is the villain from Spirit Tracks.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I do also genuinely hope for a more interesting ganondorf than "hes back and evil and now has a katana" and finally laying the curse to rest at the end would tie nicely to the games title. Hyrule being in a constant cycle of being conqured and liberated from evil is probably not good for it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Malladus rules because he has the best dressed lackey in the series

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Maybe Link, Zelda and Ganon will team up and just destroy this endless charade of a great evil and a princess and hero of time saving the day.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Zoig posted:

I do also genuinely hope for a more interesting ganondorf than "hes back and evil and now has a katana" and finally laying the curse to rest at the end would tie nicely to the games title. Hyrule being in a constant cycle of being conqured and liberated from evil is probably not good for it.

it is, however, very good for us gamers

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Unlucky7 posted:

You know what? I kind of like this, even if it is unlikely

My personal Head Canon was that it is the same Ganondorf that appears in every game, as opposed to a reincarnation for Zelda and Link; A thief breaks into the vault of the Gods, they punish him by condemning him to be defeated over and over by the hero and the princess. And Ganondorf in WW feels like he knows he is fated to lose, but can't bring himself to stop. What if there was a time where Ganondorf goes "No. Enough. This all ends with me"?

This does not account for Demise and whatever happened in Skyward Sword but honestly I do not care.
Thats not a headcanon thats just what happens. Each ganondorf in the 3D games is the same man, at different points in his life. Twilight Princess is OoT Ganon but in the timeline where he got caught when Link was a kid, and the sages chucked him into a hell dimension. Wind Waker Ganon is OoT Ganon who left hyrule, recovered his strength, then came back with an army instead of trying to do it all himself.

He's the equivalent of castlevania's dracula, dude just will not loving die. So i'm hoping that "rehydrated ganondorf" is like. The equivalent of Soma Cruz, where he actually reincarnated for once and is like "you know what actually what if I wasn't evil this time?"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zore posted:

The little hats cover up his demon horns. Totally inconspicuous!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe destroying calamity ganon let the ganondorf part free or just turned him back into his gerudo self.

Actually, on better thought, screw ganondorf I just want to make and pilot mechs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

Given the fact that ganondorf has some very nice official art this time around, the hero from the legend having red hair, the fact that he evidently has one of the tears (it's the jewel on his forehead) like sidon and the others, the translation in each language being just slightly vague* about the identity of the king being revived, and the fact that the camera cuts away from the guy in front of the blood moon before we see his face, I'm genuinely wondering if Ganondorf is the actual villain, or if he's on our side for once?? Yes i am a ganondorf apologist, but, what if. C'mon nintendo you know you want to. Let him be Riju's overly dramatic weird uncle.

*Ganondorf: “Do not look away. You witness a king’s revival…and the birth of his new world.” ("his", not "my". Third person grandiose dialog, or...?)

Feels like a bit of a reach but it would be cool as hell. Calamity "Ganon" definitely felt more like a primal, mindless force of evil similar to the imprisoned beast you need to keep restrained in SS rather than a Ganondorf incarnation, so the twist that somehow in the past a version of Ganondorf was able to avoid or break free from the reincarnation cycle and once rehydrated they ultimately come down on the side of helping finally end the cycle once and for all would be pretty sweet.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Wind Waker Ganon is OoT Ganon who left hyrule, recovered his strength, then came back with an army instead of trying to do it all himself.

Close - WW Ganon is the Ganon locked in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina of Time. When he finally musters up the strength to break out, nobody is there to stop him, because Zelda sent Link back in time, so The Gods flood Hyrule with a lifeless ocean that basically freezes him in time. Wind Waker happens when he eventually, somehow, breaks out of that, too.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 13, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zoig posted:

There are other lands besides Hyrule, but no one wants to go there because they know it as that Godsforsaken place that gets razed by a demon every other century.

Bleck posted:

Close - WW Ganon is the Ganon locked in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina of Time. When he finally musters up the strength to break out, nobody is there to stop him, because Zelda sent Link back in time, so The God's flood Hyrule with a lifeless ocean that basically freezes him in time. Wind Waker happens when he eventually, somehow, breaks out of that, too.

Oh right the official Zelda timeline. It's a silly thing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 13, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zore posted:

I actually did have to look up who Malladus was. This guy's way more memorable. Except for his name, no clue there either!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's Malladus?

Are you seriously telling us that you don't remember Malladus? loving Malladus, one of the most iconic villains in Nintendo - if not all of video gaming - history?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Hygiene posted:

I actually did have to look up who Malladus was. This guy's way more memorable. Except for his name, no clue there either!

Chancellor Cole

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
also my number one hope for TotK is that they make rain not be absolutely terrible

"what if we had a gimmick that disabled your climbing ability, made it impossible to use 75% of all weapons and shields, reduced visibility to snot, AND made it impossible to pass time unless you can find shelter??"

its not immersive its just tedious. is it loving perpetual monsoon season or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The demon train from that was also pretty great. There's actually a lot I liked in that game, if only the central overworld mechanic wasn't one of my least favorite things in the series!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

But could you suplex the demon train is the real question?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zoig posted:

I could definitely go for some more personalization, for as wordy as WW’s ending was I really dug the whole “your gods are evil and they did this to you” tone

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

wow the "this is just BotW DLC" folks are real quiet huh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

also my number one hope for TotK is that they make rain not be absolutely terrible

"what if we had a gimmick that disabled your climbing ability, made it impossible to use 75% of all weapons and shields, reduced visibility to snot, AND made it impossible to pass time unless you can find shelter??"

its not immersive its just tedious. is it loving perpetual monsoon season or something.

I like when the lizard guys keep getting themselves shocked, though. Drop some metal stuff like the ground and let enemies walk into it.

It's also usually not *too* hard to find a place to make a fire near most climbable mountains/walls. But I agree that the whole "disabling climbing" aspect is pretty annoying. You should at least have some other way to "defeat" that mechanic.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Jeez I am not up at all on my deep Zelda lore. Any good videos y'all recommend?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Nah that's all directly from the opening of WW.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I could definitely go for some more personalization, for as wordy as WW’s ending was I really dug the whole “your gods are evil and they did this to you” tone

Yeah I like how WW Ganondorf seemed genuinely shook at just how far the goddesses went to stop him from taking over Hyrule. Like hey man whatever I was gonna do to Hyrule if I won, would it really have been worse than flat out destroying it with a catastrophic flood? Am I really still the bad guy here???

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

External Organs posted:

i like this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

wow the "this is just BotW DLC" folks are real quiet huh

I believe you are mistaking an interview where one of the developers said it started out as dlc and they decided it was too big for that and then just continued it into a full game for a complaint.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

Nah that's all directly from the opening of WW.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I was talking about the two divergent timelines from OoT.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

This is all stuff that's in Wind Waker. Most of it in the intro.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zoig posted:

what if he has a second katana and dual wields?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

External Organs posted:

NO DON’T

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unlucky7 posted:

The only disappointment is, like others have said, is seeing Zelda once again seemingly regulated to the side again, but as a whole it was real good.

I feel like this is less the fault of the game and more people setting themselves up for disappointment. The Zelda games have always been about Link, at least all the mainline ones (so not counting stuff like Age of Calamity), and there's really no reason a game like that would split gameplay via two characters, since it inherently diminishes both characters in terms of what they are theoretically capable of doing gameplay wise by limiting the amount of development time and memory to half the total. If a Zelda game is going to feature Zelda as a playable character (or Linkle for that matter) then it'll probably be it's own game and not as secondary protagonists.

Blaziken386 posted:

*Ganondorf: “Do not look away. You witness a king’s revival…and the birth of his new world.” ("his", not "my". Third person grandiose dialog, or...?)

He's already talking about being a king in the third person so I feel like grandiose dialogue is the natural conclusion.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The demon train from that was also pretty great. There's actually a lot I liked in that game, if only the central overworld mechanic wasn't one of my least favorite things in the series!

I haven't played it since it released, but I remember really liking both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and don't even remember having any issue with the track travel gimmick. Is there any word on them getting a release on Switch, either as a collection or as part of the online catalog?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified, I was talking about the two divergent timelines from OoT.

That's all in the Hyrule Historia.

And don't worry there are 3 divergent timelines from OoT

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Help, what is the twilight realm and also I made this chart proving that Kink and Ganon and mom and dad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thechosenone posted:

I believe you are mistaking an interview where one of the developers said it started out as dlc and they decided it was too big for that and then just continued it into a full game for a complaint.

lol people have been whining about it for months, do you live in a cave

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Come at me Gleeok let’s fukkin go

That was a great trailer, I feel like they showed such a tiny fraction of everything but from several angles (diving towards the sphere and inside, possibly the underground dungeon with lava later) and even with the gameplay footage I feel like 99.99% of the game is still unknown.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

superjew posted:

Come at me Gleeok let’s fukkin go
https://i.imgur.com/bjX8Yob.mp4

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Augus posted:

The 2 cutscene thing will always be funny

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Teba remembers meeting Revali in the spinoff and has decided to give up after having the illusion shattered.

Though asking, have we seen a stamina wheel? I didn't like it at all in BotW and looking at links goofy rear end moon jumps and wondering if that got removed or if it was just hidden for trailer purposes.
Honestly that's my biggest concern with the sky stuff is loving up and falling and having to find the way back up and having to do stuff all over again. I'm not entirely sure what they'd do to alleviate that outside putting a killbox under certain places so you respawn like the Sky Temple in Twilight, or being able to rewind yourself like a emulator

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Teba remembers meeting Revali in the spinoff and has decided to give up after having the illusion shattered.

Though asking, have we seen a stamina wheel? I didn't like it at all in BotW and looking at links goofy rear end moon jumps and wondering if that got removed or if it was just hidden for trailer purposes.
Honestly that's my biggest concern with the sky stuff is loving up and falling and having to find the way back up and having to do stuff all over again. I'm not entirely sure what they'd do to alleviate that outside putting a killbox under certain places so you respawn like the Sky Temple in Twilight, or being able to rewind yourself like a emulator

Yeah it was in the gameplay demonstration, seems to be the same. There are a lot of ways to gain height now so it’ll probably be less useful though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Augus posted: