Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Vargatron posted:

I'll bet you're sick of Nightwish recs too.

I am the person that named my son after a nightwish song, lol. I have a huge soft spot for them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hevisaurus, otoh, is unironically good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I really love their song Gimme Chocolate, but I listened to all of Babymetal's new album and I've forgotten it already.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My 7yo was heavy into GIMME CHOCOLATE to the point where it's banned in our house and I wish we could timetravel forward like ten years, go to the show together, and go back just to see their face when it goes live

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

remigious posted:

I am the person that named my son after a nightwish song, lol. I have a huge soft spot for them :)

Nightwish always was the response to "OMG UR A GIRL AND LIKES METAL???" back when I was in high school. That and Evanesence. For whatever reason, we thought that girls would like metal if the bad had a female vocalist. God I was so cringe back in the day with that poo poo...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i show people the vocalist from oathbreaker instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVRg5X7UW4&t=173s

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
general admission for the dream theater tour is 150 per ticket in Orlando

I would love to see Devin and AAL for the umpteenth time but gently caress that, I absolutely do not give enough of a poo poo about dream theater to pay that much

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kumba posted:

general admission for the dream theater tour is 150 per ticket in Orlando

I would love to see Devin and AAL for the umpteenth time but gently caress that, I absolutely do not give enough of a poo poo about dream theater to pay that much

I don’t care about AAL but Dev + Dream Theater would be awesome. That’s a bit outside of the price I would be okay with for a balls to the wall prog show though :negative:

e: tickpick has some for $121

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone going to the Metallica 72 Seasons Global Premiere event in theaters tonight?

quote:

Be the first to hear the band’s new album, 72 Seasons, the day before its release, on the big screen with pummeling surround sound in this special event exclusively in cinemas for one night only. 72 Seasons is Metallica’s long-awaited 12th studio album, preceded by first single “Lux Æterna”— hailed upon its November 28, 2022, release as “thundering, breakneck” (Billboard), “gut-punching” (Rolling Stone) and “blistering” (USA Today). 72 Seasons - Global Premiere will feature exclusive interviews with Metallica, with the full band delving into the origins and stories behind the songs and accompanying music videos for every track on the album. The result will be a one-night-only opportunity for fans to experience 72 Seasons first and fully. There will also be a few surprises on the night that you won’t want to miss! We look forward to welcoming you all to this historic night in cinemas around the world.

It's playing at a couple theaters near me, but I'm not excited enough about the album to drive to a theater to see this. Maybe if the past couple singles had been good and not just Lux Aeterna.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Gonna make a controversial statement here: Dream Theater is good, actually. Good cheese.
Agreed.

Fun thing to do: Listen to These Shrouded Temples by CoC. Then listen to the opening of As I Am by DT. Then think "hey, shouldn't someone else have got a writing credit for this?"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Not ashamed to admit I 100% buy it when Portnoy growls "FREEDOM... SERENITY... HAPPINESS..." at the end of every line in The Shattered Fortress. It's stupid on paper but I'm being kayfabe with it because the song owns so much.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone going to the Metallica 72 Seasons Global Premiere event in theaters tonight?

It's playing at a couple theaters near me, but I'm not excited enough about the album to drive to a theater to see this. Maybe if the past couple singles had been good and not just Lux Aeterna.

I did one of these for Radioheads “Amnesiac” and won some promo CDs that may have been worth something if I held onto em. I say check it out if you can - it’s cool listening to an album in a theatre.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yo this loving rules. I haven't found *new* metal that i've liked more than a couple of listens in, for a while, so this is nice.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Anyone at Metal and Beer Fest in Philly this weekend? Just kinda realizing now how stacked tomorrow's lineup is

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've only listened to it once, but 72 Seasons for me is the first Metallica album that is...aggressively nothing.

Like 'em or hate 'em. Load, Reload, St. Anger were all a thing. Death Magnetic was an attempted "return to form" from St. Anger. I felt like Hetfield was happy to be playing some properly thrashy fun riffs again so it wasn't just a "return to form" for the fans. Hardwired was a refinement of Death Magnetic. Like they've all had a vibe.

The singles released from 72 Seasons is a great snapshot of the album. Lyrically it feels like they're stuff that "people think rock music fans would like" and...well so do the riffs.

There's still great Hetfield moments. Kirk also has a few genuinely great moments.

The production is half decent this time, it doesn't feel\sound squashed to hell except Hetfield's guitar isn't as aggressive as you'd expect and is kinda a more overdriven AC\DC rather than the mid-scooped, thuddy joy. Rob's bass gets a few moments of awesome too.

But remember how Disturbed got a bit of fame from their Sound Of Silence cover? Then their next album had like 4 acoustic ballads which were obviously targeting people who got the new album because they liked Sound Of Silence?

This feels like an album made to target people who liked the Metallica scene in Stranger Things. The whole thing feels like it's an album made for what people who THINK Metallica\Rock fans would like. With a few genuinely kickass riffs sprinkled throughout. I would suggest they had a bunch of kickass riffs sitting around on their riff tapes, but I feel like management told Metallica to put out an album ASAP with what they had.

And...oddly enough, that hurts more than them releasing something genuinely bad. I wonder if it's the super clean high-production value which is making it feel so "corporate" for me, so I'm hoping the album improves with a few listens, but I honestly couldn't tell you how half the songs went after the first listen.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
I listened to the album today while driving around for work.

It felt like... metal elevator music? Almost nothing stood out.

Hardwired at least had a song or 2 I dug, same with Death Magnetic. But this one just bleed from one song to the next.

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 14, 2023

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The last song is great.

I feel like there was some soul put into the last song. But...otherwise?

woof.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

congratulations on Metallica for apparently recording an album that sounds like it would play in the "big concert" episode of a sitcom and be referred to as 'devil music' by the father who was dragged along after he stormed out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TeamJesus posted:

I listened to the album today while driving around for work.

It felt like... metal elevator music? Almost nothing stood out.

Hardwired at least had a song or 2 I dug, same with Death Magnetic. But this one just bleed from one song to the next.
Listening to it now and this is pretty much how I'm feeling so far. Also why is it an hour and 17 minutes long? I might like it more if some of these songs were half as long. Lux Aeterna is the perfect length. They should've made more of the album like that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THAT BEING SAID.

72 Seasons being meh doesn't suddenly make the recording of ...And Justice For All suck. That is still easily the greatest Thrash Metal album of all time, with the two nearest contenders being Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

actually the greatest thrash album of all time is either Rust in Peace or By Inheritance

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I listened to it as well but I feel like it's for people who think "good" music only existed 30-40 years ago. The 90s was 30 years ago! I appreciate people who dig it but it's really not for me. IMO it's ignoring all of the good thrash that has come out since st. anger. I actually liked some riffs in Death Magnetic!

H13 posted:

This feels like an album made to target people who liked the Metallica scene in Stranger Things. The whole thing feels like it's an album made for what people who THINK Metallica\Rock fans would like. With a few genuinely kickass riffs sprinkled throughout. I would suggest they had a bunch of kickass riffs sitting around on their riff tapes, but I feel like management told Metallica to put out an album ASAP with what they had.

This. If it gets people into metal or metal-lite then I'm all for it. Just not for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

symbolic posted:

actually the greatest thrash album of all time is either Rust in Peace or By Inheritance

it's sound of white noise

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arivia posted:

it's sound of white noise

but! enough! about! your! posts!!!!!!!!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
AJFA has Blackened and Dyer's Eve.

That concludes my Ted Talk. Thank you all for coming.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Speaking of musical appearances in Netflix shows, did anyone else get into kreator thanks to Dark?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am spinning up the new metallica instead of renting heat which is what i want to be doing with the next hour of my life at the moment

symbolic posted:

rust is top tier but dawn patrol is a slog to fill out 2 minutes which puts it below ride the lightning imo. solid second though.

i need to listen to more artillery.

H13 posted:

AJFA has Blackened and Dyer's Eve.

That concludes my Ted Talk. Thank you all for coming.

these are the two highlight songs but ajfa has poo poo like the title track and frayed ends of sanity which drag out way too long

remigious posted:

Speaking of musical appearances in Netflix shows, did anyone else get into kreator thanks to Dark?

i had no idea they played kreator on a netflix show but i'm probably going to spin up some old kreator this weekend now. mille petrozza is so good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

remigious posted:

good show and also ruled they gave some kreator rep

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

rust is top tier but dawn patrol is a slog to fill out 2 minutes which puts it below ride the lightning imo. solid second though.

i need to listen to more artillery.

Escape is a slog to fill out 4 minutes and also get on MTV. pwnd.

the first three Artillery albums are a trifecta with By Inheritance being the crown jewel, absolutely insane tech thrash chops

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

Escape is a slog to fill out 4 minutes and also get on MTV. pwnd.

the first three Artillery albums are a trifecta with By Inheritance being the crown jewel, absolutely insane tech thrash chops

escape is better than dawn patrol and leper messiah and my thoughts on this are part of the reason i think ride is the best thrash album ever

escape is also better than any of the tripe i've heard on 72 seasons so far christ

sounds like it's an artillery and kreator weekend for me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

escape is better than dawn patrol and leper messiah and my thoughts on this are part of the reason i think ride is the best thrash album ever

escape is also better than any of the tripe i've heard on 72 seasons so far christ

sounds like it's an artillery and kreator weekend for me

at the very least we can agree Lightning > Puppets :hai:

also if u get a chance u should spin the third-greatest tech thrash album of all time as well, Forbidden's Twisted into Form

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

thrash rules rear end

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

Or Reign in Blood, Eternal Nightmare, Bonded by Blood, motherfucking Epidemic of Violence, Pleasure to Kill, Spectrum of Death...all better than the fourth-best Metallica album.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Or Reign in Blood, Eternal Nightmare, Bonded by Blood, motherfucking Epidemic of Violence, Pleasure to Kill, Spectrum of Death...all better than the fourth-best Metallica album.

i've never been too keen on Eternal Nightmare tbh but otherwise...ya lol

"One" pwns forever however

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

at the very least we can agree Lightning > Puppets :hai:

also if u get a chance u should spin the third-greatest tech thrash album of all time as well, Forbidden's Twisted into Form

i blasted a shitload of forbidden evil back in the day but i didn't listen to much of their followups

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i blasted a shitload of forbidden evil back in the day but i didn't listen to much of their followups

Forbidden Evil is pretty good but they kick it up a notch with Twisted into Form, imo

i could talk about tech thrash all day tbh lol that's pretty much my fallback genre when it comes to discovering new albums, that and tech death

symbolic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 14, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've been listening through all the debuts I like year by year and am toward the end of the 80s right now so I'm having a bit of a thrash overdose.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've been listening through all the debuts I like year by year and am toward the end of the 80s right now so I'm having a bit of a thrash overdose.

you'll hit scream bloody gore soon

symbolic posted:

Forbidden Evil is pretty good but they kick it up a notch with Twisted into Form, imo

i could talk about tech thrash all day tbh lol that's pretty much my fallback genre when it comes to discovering new albums, that and tech death

always liked tech death more than tech thrash - death/cynic/atheist/etc were world-class songwriters. think cynic's focus is one of the best metal albums ever made.

think the last tech death album that grabbed me was cult of lilith - mara.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Focus was Paul Masvidal getting all of the Death out of his system in a very very good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

you'll hit scream bloody gore soon

Already did, then all the second wave bands came up. Was listening to Num Skull and Sabbat (UK) today.