Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Marluxia posted:

Ghostmon and Phantomon are obvious, but they don't have a good ghost mega yet, do they?

I don't think so, but even if it had one, it needs to be a partner in one of their stories. Just existing in the DRB or as a playable in one of the games isn't enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marluxia posted:

Ghostmon and Phantomon are obvious, but they don't have a good ghost mega yet, do they?

Digimon Adventure: used Gokumon (with MetalFantomon as Perfect) which is a cyborg skeleton rather than a ghost but close enough, right?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon Adventure: used Gokumon (with MetalFantomon as Perfect) which is a cyborg skeleton rather than a ghost but close enough, right?

Yeah, but I'm not really a fan of MetalFantomon. If they used Bakemon as a proper partner, I'd rather they use Fantomon as the perfect.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

Anyone else notice the little color wheel around the play cost and digivolve cost?

It's a very good thing they adapted probably from the One Piece TCG, along with the new Mulligan.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 5, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omnicrom posted:

It's a very good thing they adapted probably from the One Piece TCG, along with the new Mulligan.

yeah, it's great in OP and it's very appreciated here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Kunemon is one of my fav mons, idk why theyre acting like this is bad. Hes super cute!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

more importantly it maintains "scythe" and "chain" themes from phantomon and/or metalphantomon.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

New Century gave us an evolution line for Beelstarmon.

There's something fitting about Witchmon being Beelstarmon's Adult form when Wizarmon is Impmon's.

Anyway, in before comments about her underboob.

such a boring line. i'll only accept beelstarmon digivolving from dark superstarmon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elfgames posted:

such a boring line. i'll only accept beelstarmon digivolving from dark superstarmon

You're right and you should say it. It's the only logical choice really.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In the latest Digimon Seekers chapter, Eiji commits a rookie pet owner mistake: letting the pets get to know each other slowly before just throwing them in the same room together

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Elfgames posted:

:hmmyes:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

He’s baby

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Up to 1-7 is already on Onkei's translation, 1-8 is still not. From those alone, wow, every partner Digimon in this series is a lovable scamp. Loogamon terrifies (and tries to eat) dinosaurs, turning them into its minions. Pulsemon is a smug bastard. Numemon has shown little personality but at the very least its very presence is enough to terrify a group of Espimon.

I hope they get to do a lot in the future. I'm definitely enjoying the characterizations here.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
The Adventure 2020 dub has launched… on the Microsoft Store?

It’s been split into 5 “seasons” of roughly 13-14 episodes each so you too can own the series for only approx $115 (in SD). It’s $176 if you get everything in HD.

(Also locked to Windows-only devices it seems?)

:sweatdrop:

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm amazed at how Bandai keeps finding new and interesting ways of confusing us.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of dubs, apparently an English version of Ghost Game was announced to be in preproduction last month:

https://withthewill.net/threads/ghost-game-english-dub-enters-early-pre-production.29239/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Bee posted:

I'm amazed at how Bandai keeps finding new and interesting ways of confusing us.

This sort of stupid bullshit feels more like Toei's wheelhouse, honestly.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 14, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In other news, I finally got into the DCG after years of doubts with the Beelzebumon deck. It's very nice. I doubt I'll ever get to play with it but the art is so cool to have, so I'll just keep collecting the cards of Digimon I like (and I like a lot of Digimon). It only makes me want an Appmon set even more though.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Blaze Dragon posted:

In other news, I finally got into the DCG after years of doubts with the Beelzebumon deck. It's very nice. I doubt I'll ever get to play with it but the art is so cool to have, so I'll just keep collecting the cards of Digimon I like (and I like a lot of Digimon). It only makes me want an Appmon set even more though.

Welcome to the club! If you do get the opportunity to play the game I'd recommend pre-release nights. Good way to get bunches of commons to rarest for free. Most folks tend to toss thier cards by the end of the night and only keep stuff they want. Prerelease events are decks only built with your assigned booster packs but ignoring color requirements for digivolving.

You almost always get promo packs if you do your local shops normal game night. Which typically is best of 3 with your own decks. It's also a good chance to trade cards for much less of their online value. People are really cool with new players and genuinely just want to enjoy the game with folks. In my area the age range is anywhere between 20 and 60.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
The vote results for the Holy Wings and Forest Guardians BEMs came out today. Sadly, the majority of fans decided against making the types more balanced so there's still way more bugs than plants and birds than angels.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 14, 2023

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like how the lines mostly make sense but there’s always one form that is somehow more popular and breaks the pattern. I get BanchoLilymon being more popular, but Thunderbirmon over Jazardmon is an odd choice.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
It's a quirk with how the voting worked. You could vote for as many options as you wanted but all votes were equal.

So while it's likely a lot of people voted for straight Jazamon/Morphomon lines some of them must have also voted for other options at the same time causing oddities like MagnaKidmon on the dragon BEM.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 14, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of sounds like the Colon dub actually tried to improve things a bit:

https://twitter.com/childishgamzeno/status/1646658168863473664

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean I'd rather see it for myself than take the word of someone who worked on the show. They can naturally be a bit biased.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm also rather skeptical that adding jokes and asides is going to make "Tai sound more like Tai" since that really doesn't sound like how he was in 99/02, unless they're talking about making him sound more like the dub version of him from over 20 years ago which got watered down by having bunches of additional jokes and asides. And if that's the case, saying you're going to add more of my least favorite thing from the original dub is not particularly encouraging.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, the characters not sounding like the OG Adventure versions was far from the worst part of Colon and was, in all likelihood, intentional.

Making Tai sound more like Joshua Seth's Tai is not going to make him show up less and hog less screentime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, also it doesn’t seem worth paying $100+ just to watch Colon again

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

I'm also rather skeptical that adding jokes and asides is going to make "Tai sound more like Tai" since that really doesn't sound like how he was in 99/02, unless they're talking about making him sound more like the dub version of him from over 20 years ago which got watered down by having bunches of additional jokes and asides. And if that's the case, saying you're going to add more of my least favorite thing from the original dub is not particularly encouraging.

I agree in general, but those are separate thoughts in the tweet. They're saying they're adding extra jokes and asides, and also changing lines to make Tai sound more like Tai, whatever that means. Definitely not worth $100 either way.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

Also, the characters not sounding like the OG Adventure versions was far from the worst part of Colon and was, in all likelihood, intentional.

Back in the early Pre-COVID days when anyone involved in Adventure 20 seemed to care about the show as anything but a contractually required also ran, I noted that the show was making a deliberate point of putting a new spin on the cast. You had Mimi with a completely new background that notably changed how she acted, Jou was more immediately pathetic as he didn't have an assumed leadership role to try and fill, Koushirou was written with a more modern and cogent slant on "nerdy computer kid" than what we had in 1999, Yamato was more clearly estranged from Takeru and him not being there made him more distant and awkward, Sora had a kind of gung-ho action survivalist kick, and given that Taichi being just coasting on 99 Taichi actually made some amount of sense as an anchor point (and he wasn't involved in episodes sometimes!)

It's honestly a real pity how it all shook out, and no amount of making it like the dub of 99 is going to improve the show's structural problems. You can put in as many jokes and asides as you like, it won't change the fact that the writers gave up around 2 cours in and clearly did not give a poo poo about most of the characters.

King of Solomon posted:

I agree in general, but those are separate thoughts in the tweet. They're saying they're adding extra jokes and asides, and also changing lines to make Tai sound more like Tai, whatever that means. Definitely not worth $100 either way.

This could be valid, but given that the person tweeting seems were tying those two thoughts together it could also go the other way. And I'm going to third that there's no reason to shell out 10x:10bux: for Adventure 20 of all seasons. ESPECIALLY since the subs have been out for literal years now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1647616384485191680?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

The boys…

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm still mad they didn't just give us a shot for shot remake of Adventure 99 with the new animation, but reusing the old voice tracks.

Swapping Brave Heart for the new songs would also be acceptable.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Seekers 1-10 is out. The drip feed is painful, but I thought today's was pretty good. Hard confirmation on the Digimon being able to talk: You seemingly have to be mind-linked in order to understand them?

Not sure how I feel about Eiji and Leon being childhood friends. A little too trope-y for my tastes, but we'll see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is an unexpected one. Xros Up Mervamon has been added to Digimon RPG. This is the first time any Xros Up has appeared outside of Hunters, and none of them seemed like they'd ever see the light of day outside of it, considering they don't even have unique names. But here we are, the first game appearance of one. It brings some data for it too, namely level (Ultimate, obviously), attribute (Unknown, as is given to every Xros Wars Digimon outside of the DRB) and a small profile that may or may not continue because this translation's terrible so there's no line break and it scrolls off-screen: "A Digimon in which Mervamon and Beelzebumon (C) are DigiXrossed"

Here's a video showing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkfYZ1gk8E&t=300s

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This was one of the better Xros Ups, as long as you ignore the attack name

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We have details for the set coming after the next set (which, as a reminder, is Adventure focused and will introduce ACE cards). It’s called Animal Colosseum and it’s similar to Dragon’s Roar.

quote:

We have EX-05 Animal Colosseum leaked info:
The 4 Sovereigns (Ebonwumon, Baihumon, Zhuqiaomon, and Azulongmon), as well as the debut of Fanglongmon, will be featured in this set.

A new keyword, <Indomitable>, will allow Digimon to return to the battle area even after being destroyed.

There will be 74 total cards in this set, with the rarity breakdown as follows:
- Common: 22
- Uncommon: 20
- Rare: 18
- Super Rare: 12
- Secret Rare: 2
Previous EX sets have featured between 8 and 10 SR cards, so this is more than the usual and less C than usual.
More info and confirmation of this info will be shared as it comes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All four Sovereigns and the set is based on Adventure instead of Tamers, the series where all four of them actually appeared?

Also, has Fanglongmon been in any media?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Some Numbers posted:

All four Sovereigns and the set is based on Adventure instead of Tamers, the series where all four of them actually appeared?

BT14 is based on Adventure, this news is about EX5, which will likely be similar to Draconic Roar.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

Fanglongmon was, iirc, hinted at in 02, had an extremely underwhelming appearance in Xros Wars, and is central to the true route in Survive

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

BT14 is based on Adventure, this news is about EX5, which will likely be similar to Draconic Roar.

Welp, that's what I get for not reading closely enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Four Holy Beasts appearing is unsurprising, though Huanglongmon is a bit more unexpected. The set is based on the Animal Colosseum V-Pet, which had the four in it. All the Digimon that were in it are, therefore, likely to appear, meaning these are all but confirmed: