Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

I've found that proton works well for a lot of games. Obviously there's a wide swath that doesn't but I can live with that and protondb helps me navigate it.

Previous job let me keep the surface pro 7+ that they gave me. I ran Ubuntu on it initially just fine with the help of the linux-surface project. At some point I ended up going back to win11 but I can't recall why. That was almost a year ago but it wasn't annoying enough to repave. I just skipped the online account, removed over half of the installed programs, and used firefox, windows terminal, wsl, and vscode and everything worked fine. It did nag me sometimes about updates, though. I probably spent 90% of my time on that machine in wsl and that was nice.

ty heather paps for the rockin' summer sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I'm linuxing really hard today.

Linux hard or linux home, that's what I always say.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Go Linux yourself

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

My current moment of feeling like I live in the future is running kodi on my Linux mint desktop with kore on my android phone (also technically Linux). I can pull up videos with newpipe from YouTube or a couple other sites and stream them to kodi by way of Kore.

I know normal folks with their chromecasts and their Apple things have been able to do this for hundreds of years but I just think it's neat.

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

My current moment of feeling like I live in the future is running kodi on my Linux mint desktop with kore on my android phone (also technically Linux). I can pull up videos with newpipe from YouTube or a couple other sites and stream them to kodi by way of Kore.

I know normal folks with their chromecasts and their Apple things have been able to do this for hundreds of years but I just think it's neat.

I ran an xbmc/kodi box for 15 years or so to watch Perfectly Legitimately Acquired TV And Or Movies but a year ago or so I moved everything to Plex, hosted on a seedbox in the netherlands that I can watch from the Roku Plex app on the TV, but I can also watch it from pretty much any device anywhere which is nice. it's nice being in a hotel or on the train on your phone and having all your Legally Digitized And Definitely Not Pirated media right there

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Funny enough, I don't have any Totally Legal, Etc. content. I really don't watch a lot of movies or TV and I don't have the storage for all of that. Plus the automation and setup to Acquire Legal Content (Seriously!) was so convoluted it's easier to pay the streaming cartel. Mostly it was laziness because I touch computers for a living so there's that. I use kodi for the Free IPTV list of public channels I found on github and as a way to do the YouTube from the couch thing. The benefit is no ads vs the YouTube program on my roku on the bigly TV.

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

Funny enough, I don't have any Totally Legal, Etc. content. I really don't watch a lot of movies or TV and I don't have the storage for all of that. Plus the automation and setup to Acquire Legal Content (Seriously!) was so convoluted it's easier to pay the streaming cartel. Mostly it was laziness because I touch computers for a living so there's that. I use kodi for the Free IPTV list of public channels I found on github and as a way to do the YouTube from the couch thing. The benefit is no ads vs the YouTube program on my roku on the bigly TV.

yeah i've had a system of ropes and pullies to automate my content for a while now. there are some tools that make it pretty easy, and the usenet thread in sh/sc is very helpful

big black turnout

I use arch, btw

big black turnout

I kinda want to try guix but I don't know if it's still up fsf's rear end and I tried nix but I don't think I'm trans enough to understand it

more falafel please

forums poster

big black turnout posted:

I kinda want to try guix but I don't know if it's still up fsf's rear end and I tried nix but I don't think I'm trans enough to understand it

I think the whole point of guix is that it's up fsf's rear end

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

more falafel please posted:

I think the whole point of guix is that it's up fsf's rear end

This. Try nixos if you don't eat foot meat. That's my professional opinion as an (inactive) admin on the FSF directory.

more falafel please

forums poster

I met rms once, he was gross

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

I met rms once, he was gross

I've only had email interactions with him and it felt kinda dirty by proxy.

cruft

I've met rms several times. He's gross.

But he also told a really moving story, and I respect what he's accomplished.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

I've met rms several times. He's gross.

But he also told a really moving story, and I respect what he's accomplished.

he spoke at our ACM chapter in college. one student asked about ways to make a living with free software (we were all coached to not say open source). his response was that free software was more important than making a living, so you should try to couchsurf, and ignore things like "having a family" or "having health insurance"

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

he spoke at our ACM chapter in college. one student asked about ways to make a living with free software (we were all coached to not say open source). his response was that free software was more important than making a living, so you should try to couchsurf, and ignore things like "having a family" or "having health insurance"

That kinda stuff is a big part of why I've drifted away from free software. Also all the effort really got to me. I used to be a rabid advocate but I'm much more mellow these days and I allow some open source and (gasp) PROPRIETARY software into my usage. I'm on the slippery slope, friends!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

knuthgrush posted:

I'm on the slippery slope, friends!

Oh no! Is there a cure? :ohdear:

Never met RMS in person, but did exchange some emails back in 2006 when I was worried FSF wasn't doing poo poo squat to promote free formats (video/audio/etc). His reply to me was "well, why don't you do something?"

And I did and joined Xiph for a few years and helped around with whatever I could. Then the FSF launched a PlayOgg campaign but the guy directing it refused to work with me for some reason? Short sighted people as usual.

Anyway, as you can see from AV1 and Opus having taken over the world (aaaaaany day now), my work there was done and thus I had to go back to my planet.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2023

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

cruft

Saoshyant posted:

Anyway, as you can see from AV1 and Opus having taken over the world (aaaaaany day now), my work there was done and thus I had to go back to my planet.

They had a big impact, and were used in quite a lot of stuff! I still prefer Vorbis to MP3, although lately I have enough space that I just use FLAC.

I think the current problem is that the proprietary stuff is "free enough". It was a different situation when Xiph started out, and Xiph really did move the needle quite a bit.

more falafel please

forums poster

ogg vorbis is a CINCO product from tim & eric awesome show great job and you cannot convince me otherwise

Saoshyant

Good ol' Vorbis has been outdated for like a decade and replaced by the amazing Opus. It's used in a bunch of VoIP software, games, and Youtube.

FLAC, in spite of its popularity and stability, continues not to be supported by the likes of Apple, which is extremely frustrating in an era when storage is finally cheap.

cruft

Saoshyant posted:

Good ol' Vorbis has been outdated for like a decade and replaced by the amazing Opus. It's used in a bunch of VoIP software, games, and Youtube.

Well, barbecue my ham hocks! I'm gonna have to look into that! I kinda doubt my daughter's car will support it though.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

win11 installed a bunch of bloatware that i can't uninstall so i might be back to linux soon

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Saoshyant

cruft posted:

Well, barbecue my ham hocks! I'm gonna have to look into that! I kinda doubt my daughter's car will support it though.

If it's Android-based, it might. Google has been a big proponent of free formats, thankfully. They created the WebM standard, first with VP8 and Vorbis, then VP9 and Opus, and are presently migrating all video to to the next-gen AV1 (while keeping Opus).

your friend sk posted:

win11 installed a bunch of bloatware that i can't uninstall so i might be back to linux soon

"It's not your computer," is their motto. Prove them wrong.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

your friend sk posted:

Do it if you wanna be real cool

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

the only reason I've hesitated is because some of the games I play aren't fully compatible with Linux. but I also can dual boot so all I need is a flash drive lol

Join the BYOB Army

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

your friend sk posted:

the only reason I've hesitated is because some of the games I play aren't fully compatible with Linux. but I also can dual boot so all I need is a flash drive lol

What about proton if they're steam games?

Games usually seem to be the sticking point for a lot of people and I get that. Right tool for the right job, etc.

Speaking of, anybody have a steam deck? I've been considering one.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

knuthgrush posted:

What about proton if they're steam games?

Games usually seem to be the sticking point for a lot of people and I get that. Right tool for the right job, etc.

there was some tool online that aggregates user reports for compatibility with steamos/linux/proton. most of them are compatible now, which is better than last time I had checked

Join the BYOB Army

Saoshyant

knuthgrush posted:

Me. Best game thing I've bought in like two or three years. If you have a big Steam library and a back problem and don't want to play PC games sitting anymore, then you are me, and the Deck was made for you.

Plus, it's a cute small Linux PC you can dock to any screen if you need an extra one for some reason (e.g traveling).

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

your friend sk posted:

there was some tool online that aggregates user reports for compatibility with steamos/linux/proton. most of them are compatible now, which is better than last time I had checked

protondb?

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Saoshyant posted:

Me. Best game thing I've bought in like two or three years. If you have a big Steam library and a back problem and don't want to play PC games sitting anymore, then you are me, and the Deck was made for you.

Plus, it's a cute small Linux PC you can dock to any screen if you need an extra one for some reason (e.g traveling).

Awesome, thanks! How's the fan noise and battery life? Is it something I'd want on an airplane?

Saoshyant

knuthgrush posted:

How's the fan noise and battery life? Is it something I'd want on an airplane?

Fan is noticeable occasionally, depending on the game. Battery life is 3 hours or so of playing. And sure, would be a cool thing to pass the time on an airplane, but I'd recommend getting a proper case and not much hand luggage 'cause it ain't small like a Nintendo DS.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Saoshyant posted:

Fan is noticeable occasionally, depending on the game. Battery life is 3 hours or so of playing. And sure, would be a cool thing to pass the time on an airplane, but I'd recommend getting a proper case and not much hand luggage 'cause it ain't small like a Nintendo DS.

Is it about the size of a switch?

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

Is it about the size of a switch?

it's significantly larger. think a game gear but maybe a little bigger

cruft

it's significantly larger. think a game gear but maybe a little bigger

Imagine the Compaq Portable but with a battery.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Awesome! Thanks m'orbz

Saoshyant

Size comparison:

It's surprisingly light in spite of its size. I can hold it with one hand while replying on the phone to something then get back to gaming, for instance.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Well I definitely kinda want one. Thanks,l for the info, y'all! :glomp:

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I switched to NsCDE (FVWM-based CDE clone) on one of my machines recently and I think it's pretty cool

https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ON8FF7aiM

alexandriao

knuthgrush posted:

I've found that proton works well for a lot of games. Obviously there's a wide swath that doesn't but I can live with that and protondb helps me navigate it.

Previous job let me keep the surface pro 7+ that they gave me. I ran Ubuntu on it initially just fine with the help of the linux-surface project. At some point I ended up going back to win11 but I can't recall why. That was almost a year ago but it wasn't annoying enough to repave. I just skipped the online account, removed over half of the installed programs, and used firefox, windows terminal, wsl, and vscode and everything worked fine. It did nag me sometimes about updates, though. I probably spent 90% of my time on that machine in wsl and that was nice.

If proton stops working, try proton GE. Also sometimes some games work amazing with tweaks.

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

I've been absolutely loving my Steam deck. Getting 60FPS on Doom, Doom Eternal, and GTA V, on high quality settings at 1080p is just lovely. And even just 40 FPS is super smooth and responsive because the monitor on the deck itself can run at 40hz.

It's allowed me to play games I otherwise couldn't have afforded the hardware to run, and it's so so nice being able to curl up and chill with a game.

I'm incredibly grateful for Valve for the last 6-7 years of their linux efforts.

They've poured billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man hours into gaming on linux, have dedicated teams working on mesa, wine, etc. to ensure poo poo works, builds bespoke software just to speed things up and they open source it and contribute upstream. No other company has been willing to take a leap as big as they have, aside from maybe Apple with the m1, and it looks like it has broadly paid off.

In the last ten years my linux experience has gone from "Oh, I'm missing wifi drivers in Ubuntu, better use Arch Linux", to, "I can play all the same games my Windows friends do with minimal tweaks, and everything the OS needs to do works out of the box", it's honestly just astonishing how much progress there's been and I'm looking forward with hopeful eyes to the next ten years :)

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)