Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
MGS4 has a camo index. where the hell is the camo index in MG5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's no MGS5

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

giogadi posted:

Elden Ring is a great game but it’s just “run around and hit people with a sword and get powerups”.

what the hell else do you want out of a video game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
airdashes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This Elden Ring game is so confusing, you expect me to have fun... while playing a video game? This is an industry-defying expectation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think people who do NG+ are the weirdos not the other way around

Like from a purely mathematical standpoint

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I liked the instant NG+ cheat in Armored Core

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

what the hell else do you want out of a video game?

What if hitting enemies produced music notes, and multiple players fighting produced an improv jam?

What if all actions take a 10 second delay and you gotta navigate a space under those conditions?

What if you had to “hustle” enemies in order to beat them?

What if your jump’s gravity changed over time in the game, but so slowly that you only perceive a difference after many hours

What if you were fire

These are all stupid ideas but when I think about how much crazy poo poo games could potentially do, “swing sword hit dude” seems just as arbitrary, but we spend sooooo much time iterating on that formula

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
New Game Plus is such a weird idea. And often just implemented poorly. A NG+ that is just "play it again but from your current level cause we made the cap higher than what you can ever get in a playthrough" is such a weird thing to add to a game.

I'm replaying Borderlands 3 with my housemate and the idea is the first run through we need to ignore loving everything, get through the story as soon as possible, because NG+ (true vault hunter mode) is the *actual* game really. The fact you don't even unlock everything until you finish the story once is loving weird.

New Game Plus is just a weird concept for most games. But it's everywhere.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always thought NG+ was loving stupid because you're strong enough to beat the game but now you do it again and that's just boring as poo poo. Yay, you one-shot everything?

If they have NG+ with scaled enemies or something that's a different story but that's rare.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chrono Trigger had a good NG+ mode

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well it also let you just skip to fighting Lavos at the beginning and that ruled, even though it also meant a lot of the things you "fix" didn't end up getting fixed which is arguably a darker ending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You beat the game and then since it's a game that's all about time travel you get to start NG+ and beat it at different points in time with different endings.

jokes posted:

Well it also let you just skip to fighting Lavos at the beginning and that ruled.

:yeah: It was more of a post-game but that's what NG+ should be IMO

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

If they have NG+ with scaled enemies or something that's a different story but that's rare.

that's what all the DS games do. some even have new enemies and loot in ng+
yeah "play the game again but now you can oneshot everything" isn't terribly interesting.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

giogadi posted:

What if hitting enemies produced music notes, and multiple players fighting produced an improv jam?

What if all actions take a 10 second delay and you gotta navigate a space under those conditions?

What if you had to “hustle” enemies in order to beat them?

What if your jump’s gravity changed over time in the game, but so slowly that you only perceive a difference after many hours

What if you were fire

These are all stupid ideas but when I think about how much crazy poo poo games could potentially do, “swing sword hit dude” seems just as arbitrary, but we spend sooooo much time iterating on that formula

someone on itch.io has made all of these and they all sucked. the low-hanging fruit has been plucked and the rich veins have been mined by now. good new gameplay concepts only come around once every 5 years or so at this point

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls 2 would also let you turn areas into NG+ mode by using an item, so you could ramp up the difficulty to like NG++++++++ in a specific area if you just happened to really enjoy that part or whatever

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

somebody should make a game that's basically just that flower-jumping fever dream from Watch Dogs, that was fun

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

giogadi posted:

I didn’t say that

e: but I’m glad you could get that off your chest

giogadi posted:

I agree that they’re the best kind of game, but that’s only because it’s the kind of game the industry has spent the most time and money trying to get right

I realize that post was a long time ago and we can't always remember that far.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I'm Crap posted:

someone on itch.io has made all of these and they all sucked. the low-hanging fruit has been plucked and the rich veins have been mined by now. good new gameplay concepts only come around once every 5 years or so at this point

My point isn’t that nobody has tried these - its that it can take many tries, over years, to figure something out.

It’s like looking at action games on the NES and deciding “nope there’s no future there”. And graphics weren’t the only thing holding us back at that time - it took decades for us to figure out how to make combat as fun as it is in the souls games

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

First Person Controls were perfected by Goldeneye

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

QuarkJets posted:

First Person Controls were perfected by Goldeneye

you mean Turok

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's one thing to dream up ideas that sound fun and interesting and thematic but it's an entirely different thing to actually make them mechanically fun. It only sounds easy until you have to do it and you realize that you need to develop actual mechanics to support the ideas and to make them worth engaging with and fun and meaningful, and you need to be able to actually create those systems and integrate them into whatever engine you're using and interact with all of the other parts of the game, and you need to do so with conserving system resources in mind, and etc. etc. etc.

There's also a ton of non-AAA games experimenting with the exact kinds of things you've listed, just off the top of my head:
Music notes - Crypt of the Necrodancer, BPM, Metal: Hellsinger
Actions have a 10 second delay - Frozen Synapse, Phantom Brigade, Doorkickers
Have to "hustle" enemies - I'm not sure what this means but there was literally a game released recently called "Your only move is hustle"
Gravity changes - I am not sure what this would bring to gameplay and there are tons of games with various gravity levels
What if you were fire - little inferno

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I always think of my friend at the age of probably 22 having barely ever played videogames and having no programming experience deciding that making games was what he wanted to do with his life and his grand idea was "Well I'll just make an engine that simulates all physics and science, then I can do whatever I want with it"

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I make games for a living, I know how hard it is to turn ideas into real and fun experiences. I’m saying that as an industry we have put all our resources into a few very narrow categories of games and we have gotten crazy good at them. But it makes me wonder what would’ve happened if, theoretically, the industry had applied all that time and effort in refining some other ideas.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I always think of my friend at the age of probably 22 having barely ever played videogames and having no programming experience deciding that making games was what he wanted to do with his life and his grand idea was "Well I'll just make an engine that simulates all physics and science, then I can do whatever I want with it"

You're friends with Chris Roberts?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

giogadi posted:

I make games for a living, I know how hard it is to turn ideas into real and fun experiences. I’m saying that as an industry we have put all our resources into a few very narrow categories of games and we have gotten crazy good at them. But it makes me wonder what would’ve happened if, theoretically, the industry had applied all that time and effort in refining some other ideas.

Fromsoft are the only ones who are really good at that genre though :confused:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Fromsoft are the only ones who are really good at that genre though :confused:

Action games?

…fair

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There's a puzzle game called Antichamber that fucks around with physics and geometry and perception a lot. It would have been cool to see more of that applied to different things.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

giogadi posted:

Action games?

…fair

I thought you were talking about souls-likes, since you were complaining about the hyper focus on a specific genre. "Action games" is an extremely broad description; of course there are shitloads of titles that qualify as that. Half the ideas you mentioned earlier could be considered as or incorporated into "action games".

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FF7R had a very fun action combat system but it wasn't like dark souls so people got mad about that. And also other aspects of the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lately I've been replaying the firaxis XCOM and XCOM 2 and I'm aghast that I actually liked XCOM 2 when it came out. It's so much worse than XCOM that it's kind of painful and abrasive to play.

e: XCOM is still pretty great though, I played a whole lot of x-com ufo defense and its various mods last year and XCOM is pretty comparable in quality to UFO defense

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

FF7R had a very fun action combat system but it wasn't like dark souls so people got mad about that. And also other aspects of the game.

It wasn't like dark souls in the sense that the combat in ff7r was bad and not fun at all, like they looked at this jrpg from the 90s and said "how do we make this somehow even less fun"

they had the good sense to bring back hell house I'll give them that but the game is pretty bad hth

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the one that got compared to dark souls was the IM HERE TO KILL CHAOS game i thought

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FF7R except with oldschool JRPG combat and with a wider FoV and better camera would have been a contender for game of the decade, but yeah the combat is terrible and not having random battles to break up the monotony of some of the glacially-paced puzzles (like the robot hands in the sewers) really sucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stranger of Paradise is unironically a top 3 Final Fantasy game, maybe #1. It's extremely, extremely good, in pretty much every regard. But it's Nioh, not Dark Souls.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also had the good sense to include Delkfutt's Tower from FF11 as one of the missions. There is a mission from every numbered Final Fantasy game

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
square hasn't released a good game since 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you don't identify with this protagonist smdh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guPV7SQGsYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkj-uvg2sRU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMaNUt9iEeY

as a cutscene-skipper myself, it's refreshing to play a game where the protagonist skips the cutscenes for you

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'd rather have good dialogue so I don't feel like skipping the cutscenes. Also less cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked turn based rpg combat as a child but as an adult I just find it incredibly slow and mind numbing. Like okay, cast ice because he's weak against ice and heal occasionally. If you start getting beaten, grind a bit. Dragon Quest 12 was completely miserable.