Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor Dogballs posted:

this whole post is really inaccurate

So correct it. I'm not saying this to accuse you of being wrong, but it'd be cool if you could tell us where he's wrong so we can be better informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Please demonstrate how it is, and if I'm wrong I'll gladly own up to it and be glad for the knowledge

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1646586927754215429
The T-55s have arrived at last to the front. Reportedly, they ended up in Zaporizhzhia, probably for use as pillboxes or similar static defenses, unless they're desperate enough to actually send them into the teeth of whatever attacks the Ukrainian military have planned there.

https://twitter.com/chadcon1945/status/1638483687829540864?s=20

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Doctor Dogballs posted:

HonorableTB posted:

Please demonstrate how it is, and if I'm wrong I'll gladly own up to it and be glad for the knowledge

And for the love of god please do not do it war thunder style

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kchama posted:

You don't need security clearance to read everything when you run the system that the files are stored on.

Yes you do. As noted, his access was likely a side-effect of his role. If he's processing SCI, then yeah, he had to have that clearance. There's another possibility, that someone else had access and left it unattended in the SCIF space, since "well, it's all protected in here, I'll just leave this here for a minute". If so, then the hammer will also drop, but not as hard, on someone else. But it will drop pretty hard.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the popes toes posted:

Yes you do. As noted, his access was likely a side-effect of his role. If he's processing SCI, then yeah, he had to have that clearance. There's another possibility, that someone else had access and left it unattended in the SCIF space, since "well, it's all protected in here, I'll just leave this here for a minute". If so, then the hammer will also drop, but not as hard, on someone else. But it will drop pretty hard.

Well no you're right, I was trying to say that you don't need to have the kind of rank and stuff you'd think you'd need for that if you're the dude in charge of the systems, because you'd be given it to do your job.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Picturing the multi hour high level meetings at the pentagon wherein junior officer shortstraw has to explain to the joint chiefs and heads of various letter agencies what a discord is.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And it is absolutely possible to set systems up so as to lock out individual admins from access.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I hope this vatnik never realizes that most of the experienced tankmen are already gone with the great feints of Kyiv and Kharkiv.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Karate Bastard posted:

And it is absolutely possible to set systems up so as to lock out individual admins from access.

Senior Admins keep leaving their P@$$W0rd laying out.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking a lot of things are possible. They're just not done.

Instead we have piles upon piles of idiots having no actual idea of what their job is about and why it is important, and why it is important to do it right, or what "right" even is. Instead we get procedure, and reporting, and security theater, and operations theater, where gently caress all is done and none of it right, but all the reports go in on time and all the checkboxes are ticked. Not necessarily talking about the military here either; feel free to insert your sector of choice where poo poo really matters or people die. I garan loving tee it's propped chock full of clowns loving off and getting people killed by misadventure.

I mean I'll take this state of dipshittery over whatever the gently caress they're doing in russia or china, but when I look at what we've got going on over here and realize we're supposed to be the best, then I despair.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The question is surely what the gently caress was vetting doing? Did this extremely smooth operator really not let slip a sign of being an extremely online, racist traitor?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kchama posted:

Well no you're right, I was trying to say that you don't need to have the kind of rank and stuff you'd think you'd need for that if you're the dude in charge of the systems, because you'd be given it to do your job.

Yeah, he was just a computer toucher with some clearances needed to do his job and happened upon some docs. But on a system of that classification, there are safeguards: print that document? It's audited. Stick a thumb drive in? It's audited. In fact, you can't stick a thumbdrive in a system like that unless you reset the flags to bypass the protection. He had to have known all that. So my money is on some other dumbass who left the docs unattended, and Airman Dumb-rear end copied them on an unaudited scanner. So someone else is going to get hammered as well. His whole activity is making GBS threads bricks at the moment, and the interviews by the serious men will not be pleasant. 5 to 10 years for Airman Dumb-rear end, unless sources are blown, or worse. Then he will see 10+ years. All for bragging and cred.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Teatime posted:

Picturing the multi hour high level meetings at the pentagon wherein junior officer shortstraw has to explain to the joint chiefs and heads of various letter agencies what a discord is.

yeah this is definitely a side effect lol

some entirely burnt out analyst prepping a slideshow deck explaining to 60 year old career bureaucrats what the hell minecraft and discord are

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

I hope this vatnik never realizes that most of the experienced tankmen are already gone with the great feints of Kyiv and Kharkiv.

no, putin is laughing, and his reserve of 250k trained soldiers in reserve are just off screen, laughing too

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, he was just a computer toucher with some clearances needed to do his job and happened upon some docs. But on a system of that classification, there are safeguards: print that document? It's audited. Stick a thumb drive in? It's audited. In fact, you can't stick a thumbdrive in a system like that unless you reset the flags to bypass the protection. He had to have known all that. So my money is on some other dumbass who left the docs unattended, and Airman Dumb-rear end copied them on an unaudited scanner. So someone else is going to get hammered as well. His whole activity is making GBS threads bricks at the moment, and the interviews by the serious men will not be pleasant. 5 to 10 years for Airman Dumb-rear end, unless sources are blown, or worse. Then he will see 10+ years. All for bragging and cred.

"Walked out with someone elses folder of documents" has got to be the most plausible explaination. I'm IT and our company auditing system tells other people when I'm loving around in the HR or finance folders or whatever so while I technically have access, I can't go around reading everyone's HR records without getting fired.

I imagine that for secret military poo poo, "IT guy opening and printing hundreds of top secret intelligence documents" must set off some alarms somewhere pretty quickly.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 13, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

I don't think he piggybacked off of someone else. The documents are far too numerous and similar for that, and would necessitate a stupid amount of insecurity on behalf of two people instead of just one, over multiple months' worth of time. That level of extended bad security doesn't make sense for two people without someone else noticing before it hit the front page of the NYT. To me, it's much more likely that this guy just did all the printing and poo poo himself and just didn't think about the possibility of getting caught and in trouble for it, and flew under the radar until one of his discord buddies got a terminal case of the loud mouths.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Toiling in the meme mines, crafting my discord post

So what youre saying is he's about to start playing Minecraft for real.

Its... almost fitting.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

The question is surely what the gently caress was vetting doing? Did this extremely smooth operator really not let slip a sign of being an extremely online, racist traitor?

He probably joined when he was 18. Unless he had any arrests or anything like that on record, there was basically nothing that they could go off of to deem him a security threat.

HonorableTB posted:

I don't think he piggybacked off of someone else. The documents are far too numerous and similar for that, and would necessitate a stupid amount of insecurity on behalf of two people instead of just one, over multiple months' worth of time. That level of extended bad security doesn't make sense for two people without someone else noticing before it hit the front page of the NYT. To me, it's much more likely that this guy just did all the printing and poo poo himself and just didn't think about the possibility of getting caught and in trouble for it, and flew under the radar until one of his discord buddies got a terminal case of the loud mouths.

Printers are Hella Controlled in any kind of secure environment, yet alone one where TS is processed. Anything TS only ever goes on TS hardware. Computers, hard drives, networks, printers - hell even shredders need to be specially marked as 'this device is capable of processing TS information', even if that processing is 'turns into mulch'.

Like in a normal office that only processes FOUO information it's still a months long wait to get a printer because there's a whole bunch of people who need to know and do their stuff to make sure everyone else who needs to know, knows you have a printer, and where that printer is going to be, who's going to be using it, why you need to have it, etc.

My guess for how it went down is Airman Chucklefuck was the kind to stay late after hours, after everyone else had gone home, so he could just saunter over to someone's desk and start perusing their printed files as he pleased. You're not supposed to bring any electronic devices into TS spaces but if there's literally no one else around, it's not like there's going to be anyone to stop you from walking out to your car, grabbing your backpack with your personal laptop, bringing that in and then hammering away at the keys transcribing every word on a printed document like some weirdo stenographer.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Perhaps. The poo poo that gets printed for officers who can't be bothered to read it on a screen is a destroyer of forests. The poo poo that gets printed for briefings is even worse. Everybody gets a folder. And some pogue with a clearance goes around after the meeting and collects all the folders left around the table for destruction. Information security in the gov space is a huge soul destroying pain in the rear end.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ishikabibble posted:

He probably joined when he was 18. Unless he had any arrests or anything like that on record, there was basically nothing that they could go off of to deem him a security threat.
You can actually commit to joining at 17, which I imagine Cadet Traitor absolutely did

It would be so beautiful if this somehow led to less creepy stalking of high school students. By the military I mean

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
People trying to theorycraft how he was able to leak new intel in a changing and ongoing fashion for several months don’t seem to have noticed that his mother was quoted in the NYT article saying he worked overnight shifts, so, yeah, he was probably one of the only people in the building and with a lot of free time on his hands.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
In case anyone here forgot, Chelsea Manning held a similar position and did the same thing (leaking diplomatic cables): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_diplomatic_cables_leak

She was able to copy them all from a message processing terminal, to a rewritable CD labeled "lady gaga mixtape" multiple times.

If you think the US Gov actually did anything adequate to harden the security/auditing of their terminals in the past decade, I'm gonna go with "lol, lmao"

I had the same job as these two, and could have easily done the same thing because the job involves manually reading and routing each and every Secret / Top Secret email to the rest of the command. But I didn't want to go to jail, and had no ideological/clout reasons to leak anything.

Ahdinko posted:

I imagine that for secret military poo poo, "IT guy opening and printing hundreds of top secret intelligence documents" must set off some alarms somewhere pretty quickly.

Alerting to actions like those is called "insider threat awareness", "insider risk management" etcetera. When I was in, like 15 years back, we absolutely did not use software like that. We would chat with other units on the Secret clearance internet (SIPRNET) on workstations that all used a shareware copy of IRC that had not been registered in 800+ days. It was like that when I started.

Even if they've added insider threat since then, it's entirely possible the only people checking the logs/alerts are the leakers. There's a concept of Two Person Integrity, any space with Secret info should always have two people present so that hopefully one can stop the other from mishandling info, but in practice on the night shift someone might sneak in a nap and you only have one person conscious.

I could print straight from the classified terminals too, which is what one would do if we received something that needed to be hand delivered so that no one else would see it first (an example might be if someone's wife overseas died, I'd print that out and take it to "HR" so they can give the servicemember leave and not have others gossiping). But every message for us and not for us, some IT grunt has to view and forward thousands per day. We called it "the hot seat" because it's manned 24/7 in shifts.

the popes toes posted:

Then he will see 10+ years. All for bragging and cred.

He was stationed at Fort Bragg. Maybe he'll go to the Brag Brig at Bragg for Bragging

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

zone posted:

Along with the majority of the modernized tanks. These T-55's aren't being photographed buried in holes. They're going to the front to be used as tanks, because they need tanks and this is what they've got left. Just like the T-62's.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

He's not wrong. It's a good sign for Ukraine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some NATO grunt being tasked with digging out warplans from 1960 because thats all the equipment the russians have left

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1646615867285708802?cxt=HHwWhICxsYea-tktAAAA

Honestly I'm shocked at the absolute restraint the jews have with the space laser at this point.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly I'm shocked at the absolute restraint the jews have with the space laser at this point.

god i loving hate her

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HonorableTB posted:

I checked my mail.ru and lmao I have a mobilization order too. I haven't lived in Russia in 11 years. I'm not even Russian. Good luck with that

I want a mobilization order :smith:

what's it look like

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Wait a minute. Does this mean we're about to get a whole lot of new users? Ew

What will the smiley for 2023 look like?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This cannot be real.....it's real. What a wild loving timeline.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Samovar posted:

If ever there was evidence that Russia is scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's the fact they're trying to mobilize goons...

crossing the border into ukraine with a pulled wagon and getting tired and going home

Pekinduck posted:

Not much of a public online presence.

Source: I image searched his name and a goony profile pic wasn't the first 20 results.

that he doesnt have an account is proof how irrelevant SA has become

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DiomedesGodshill posted:

This cannot be real.....it's real. What a wild loving timeline.

Did she like, not check that he's racist, or not care that he's racist?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

The leaker was in the loving air national guard lmaoooooo

He deserves every ounce of the heavy hand that's about to come down on him

what are the odds he's Mormon?

100%? Or 200% (so Mormon he's not Mormon but still Mormon)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

...in Minecraft.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Over the next few days quite a few parents are about to find out their kids are absolute racist morons.

one's mom already let him give an interview to wapo voice unaltered so "zoomer latchkey" is probably how things are going

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*helicopter chops spaghetti*

Italian: "no NO NONONOOOOOOOOOOO-
yes he could

food process

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 14, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Did she like, not check that he's racist, or not care that he's racist?

"Yes".

Burns
May 10, 2008

Or the... what? Why hadnt the CIA drowned this dumb bitch?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Toiling in the meme mines, crafting my discord post

broke: Mein Kampf

woke: Mine Craft