Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zogo posted:

Sixers Owner Harris Agrees To Buy Washington Commanders
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/04/sixers-owner-harris-agrees-to-buy-washington-commanders.html

As the season draws to a close the top overrated/underrated selections in the preseason poll stick out this year:

code:
Who is the most overrated current NBA player?

Votes	Percentage
Devin Booker		13	9.8%
Donovan Mitchell	 9	6.8%
Joel Embiid		 9	6.8%

Who is the most underrated current NBA player?

Votes	Percentage
Ben Simmons		11	8.2%
Rudy Gobert		11	8.2%
Dejounte Murray		 8	6.0%
This may be the last time Benjamin and Rudolph lead this category.

legally, all of you owe an apology to don mitchell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I admit to being wrong about Booker, what was my terrible choice for most underrated?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chilihead posted:

Yeah my google foo is failing. What is NP short for and what websites are you using to look at these statistics.

NP has been mentioned but:

2NP = 2 * 2P - 2PA
3NP = 3 * 3P - 3PA
FGNP = PTS - FT - FGA
FTNP = FT - .44 * FTA

Lockback posted:

It's pretty easy to calculate, Zogo might just be doing it himself since I don't know what sites would list it.

Yeah, it's not tracked anywhere.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Declan MacManus posted:

I never doubted but I am curious to who I put down for both categories

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zogo posted:

As the season draws to a close the top overrated/underrated selections in the preseason poll stick out this year:

code:

Votes	Percentage
Devin Booker		13	9.8%
Donovan Mitchell	 9	6.8%
Joel Embiid		 9	6.8%

Votes	Percentage
Ben Simmons		11	8.2%
Rudy Gobert		11	8.2%
Dejounte Murray		 8	6.0%

Wow this forum is bad at predictions.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
I watched Crvena Zvezda beat Fenerbahce, and Maccabi Tel Aviv beat Real Madrid today in the EuroLeague. The noise, the screams, the singing, the whistling was incomparable to what Diar DeRozan did yesterday. I don't even know how the Fenerbahce and Real Madrid players communicated among each other.

With 45 seconds left in the game, the Maccabi Tel Aviv vs Real Madrid was still a one possession game, the entire arena broke into singing and dancing to Hava Nagila, it was exhilarating. I kept thinking about Diar DeRozan and kept cracking up to myself.

bornbytheriver fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chronicles posted:

I admit to being wrong about Booker, what was my terrible choice for most underrated?

Rudy Gobert

verbal enema posted:

I never doubted but I am curious to who I put down for both categories

Over/Under:
Klay Thompson/Isaac Okoro

qbert posted:

Wow this forum is bad at predictions.

My selections were Morant/Butler. One guy has a team that plays better when he's off the floor and has become public enemy #1. The other guy is #2 in WS/48 and goes months without being mentioned. Quite possibly the hardest working man in the NBA.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not uncommon for rookies and second year players who were lottery picks to show up at the bottom of NP because they're on bad teams and they probably take a lot of bad shots because there's nobody else to shoot it + the team is perfectly happy to let them get plenty of game reps

Yes, as a prime example KD was the worst FG scorer his rookie year. Five years later he was #2 in the league for a few seasons trailing only LBJ.

Cavauro posted:

It's net points. Points produced minus points allowed. Points allowed=[(DefensiveRating/100)*(.2*{(MinutesPlayed/(TeamMinutes/5)}*TeamPossession))] - I created it.

That's a different one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zogo posted:

Over/Under:
Klay Thompson/Isaac Okoro

I stand by it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/04/sixers-owner-harris-agrees-to-buy-washington-commanders.html

code:

Votes	Percentage
Devin Booker		13	9.8%
Donovan Mitchell	 9	6.8%
Joel Embiid		 9	6.8%

Votes	Percentage
Ben Simmons		11	8.2%
Rudy Gobert		11	8.2%
Dejounte Murray		 8	6.0%

I can only assume both the Sixers fans and the Sixers haters combined to call Embiid overrated

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
net points = (number of shots that justify saying “nothing but net”) - (number of shots that justify bad jokes about masonry)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A new level of shook.

rjmccall posted:

The NBA is entitled to set reasonable standards on what the crowd is allowed to do in their efforts to distract a free-throw shooter. Historically, making a lot of really annoying noise is considered not just acceptable but in fact model behavior. If I had highly sensitive hearing, I might consider pastimes other than sitting near the focal point of a crowd of twenty thousand screaming people, such as painting still-lifes in a private studio, or perhaps cave diving.

Many years ago when it came out that Rafael Palmeiro used stanozolol he was getting booed and heckled mercilessly. So he started wearing earplugs during each AB. The Heat could wear earplugs on Friday night.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Zogo posted:

Rudy Gobert

gently caress

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Zogo posted:

Voting for Giannis over Embiid is odd this year. Especially J.J. doing it when he says he likes stats. Embiid is a bigly better 3P and FT shooter.

JJ said he did it because Giannis scored 0.97 points per minute and put up 30-10-5 in 63 games. Embiid only managed 0.96ppm and 33-10-4 in 68 games, not enough for JJ

Vox Nihili posted:

I can only assume both the Sixers fans and the Sixers haters combined to call Embiid overrated

I believe I voted for Donovan Mitchell. And I was wrong as hell

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man, sounds like the Clippers should have hired some kind of person to coach this team
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1646612874901561345

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/willguillory/status/1646650592960430081?s=46&t=HMFDOfrxJixYv5dYyChCeA
Why has a team not filed a protest and cited a L2M report to prove their point yet? Those reports have existed for years at this point.

There have been way more egregious L2M reports than this but even this is kind of obnoxious. Those three mess ups could have been the game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I think we'll see owners doing absolutely anything they can to get into the NFL because its the only future proof pro sport in the us

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need an arms race of whistling and screaming fans, draft David banner, e-40, and too short.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
sorry not sorry https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iK49nQqmJIb9TFwch04A4wxRZEsyNNK4/view?usp=sharing

rivetz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 14, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Need an arms race of whistling and screaming fans, draft David banner, e-40, and too short.

This race already reached the logical apex in 2008 when the Celtics had Doc Rivers and Thibs just shouting in voices that sound like cement mixers. The sheer gravely friction of those yells were enough to propel them to the championship. The league had to issue a secret memorandum that one would have to to, thus the Thibs era in Chicago was born.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/carmelojreal/status/1646241848221106188

“The mythology of Lebron James at this point, is far greater than the reality of” -Ric Bucher

I declare Crusade and Jihad against this man

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

god drat

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Never apologize

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Metapod posted:

Still absolutely blown away we won that game pelicans could have spammed valanciunas to victory but didn't for some reason

Don't do this lmao

Lol

Shai-Gilj sure is a joy to watch too

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

this is loving fantastic

may i share this (sourced as 'internet friend' or however you like)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

aBagorn posted:

this is loving fantastic

may i share this (sourced as 'internet friend' or however you like)
Yes I authorize anyone to share this with anyone anywhere forever, sourced any way you please

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Zogo posted:

code:

Votes	Percentage
Devin Booker		13	9.8%
Donovan Mitchell	 9	6.8%
Joel Embiid		 9	6.8%

Votes	Percentage
Ben Simmons		11	8.2%
Rudy Gobert		11	8.2%
Dejounte Murray		 8	6.0%

Woof, this is the most humbling moment for NBA goons since the BYOGM game. I think I may have voted Murray. I definitely didn't vote for any of the top three overrated (I just voted for Jaylen Brown which was similarly wrong).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

https://twitter.com/carmelojreal/status/1646241848221106188

“The mythology of Lebron James at this point, is far greater than the reality of” -Ric Bucher

I declare Crusade and Jihad against this man

I am glad I never liked him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

anyone who talks about advanced stats in a loving ROTY ballot needs a wedgie
https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/1646680161738444800

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Without having followed ROY closely I had just assumed J-Dub was the guy, he was getting mad props on all the networks during the final stretch. Slow start I guess?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Caring about one guy's reasonably considered hinky vote in a ROTY race that Banchero's going to run away with seems like a bad use of time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

Caring about one guy's reasonably considered hinky vote in a ROTY race that Banchero's going to run away with seems like a bad use of time

Caring about literally any loving award is pathetic poo poo, unless your own bag is tied to it somehow

I mean caring more than "oh this is kinda disappointing"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I am glad I never liked him.

Ric's been really snotty since he got his hair transplant and became wannabe skip on fs1

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ric got on Kings fans poo poo list when he sided with the Maloofs and lamented the arena falling apart on the team in the middle of a game was because no one was supporting the team

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

I mean it's important to quantify it somewhat because like sixth man, it used to be just be "Which guy scored the most points per game"

Kessler basically walked out of the NBA womb as a fully formed good drop coverage big, which is crazy. What's funnier is that there may also be a guy midway through this year's draft who can do that.

Paolo was the first option on a not bottom 3 team and showed all sorts of nba skill, getting his own shot, great passing, and so on.
He is one half of the contemporary NBA power forward coin. The days of washed up caron butler with no knees taking standstill corner 3s at pf are loooooong gone. Now pfs have to be 6'11 rhinos who have skill and touch for days

The other half is Jabari Smith Jr if he was good, or Indiana's Jalen Smith if he was better

spacejung posted:

Without having followed ROY closely I had just assumed J-Dub was the guy, he was getting mad props on all the networks during the final stretch. Slow start I guess?
Jdub I think is getting dinged for being 22 and not a true NBA rookie by present day standards. But he could easily be one of the best 3 guys in this draft 10 years down the line.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 14, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spacejung posted:

Yup and Paolo got off to a great start. But then Paolo just... kinda cratered the last 2/3 of the season while J-Dub just got better and better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Yup and Paolo got off to a great start. But then Paolo just... kinda cratered the last 2/3 of the season while J-Dub just got better and better.

Jdub should get way more of a bump for helping the thunder to the play in.

Like if Ben Mathurin hadn't similary fallen off he probably would have gotten a lot of credit for counterfactual healthy haliburton play in pacers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

spacejung posted:

Basically and as others said, Paolo is the #1 option as a rookie and produces.

WhyteRyce posted:

*old timey voice* Attention here, I demand my attention!

temple fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 14, 2023