Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I forgot I have a bunch of cards from Dominaria Remastered due to the staff draft we did, checked if I could scrounge up anything for my Commander deck.

Spark Harvest seems like an absolute must have, especially since I want lots of things in my graveyard. Urza's Incubator seems really good too for getting stuff out on the field fast. Chainer's Edict seems decent since it's cheap and says "sacrifice" instead of "destroy" which I think is nice because of things with indestructible?

Tormod's Crypt seems alright maybe? Life/Death seems like it might be neat for shenanigans (I got destroyed with that card during the draft). Emerald Charm seems like an "Eh, if I have one or two slots to fill." Firemind Vessel looks kind of helpful but four mana is a lot, maybe it's worth it but it's hard for me to gauge how good or bad cards are especially in a format I haven't played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Since you're in green, you have access to every good spell that just plops lands onto the battlefield. 2 mana options are Rampant Growth, Farseek,/Three Visits/Nature's Lore (best if you run every typed dual land you can), Into The North(requires snow lands, but they're nearly as cheap as normal basic lands thanks to Kaldheim). Decent 3 mana options are Kodama's Reach/Cultivate, Harrow, Roiling Regrowth and since you're doing graveyard and token shenanigans, Ecological Appreciation, Harvest Season, Far Wanderings and Primal Growth.

The only mana rock you should be running is Sol Ring, honestly. Green just has so many options for land based ramp that fragile artifacts are practically worthless.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 14, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silhouette posted:

The only mana rock you should be running is Sol Ring, honestly. Green just has so many options for land based ramp that fragile artifacts are practically worthless.

This is entirely wrong and bad advice. Don't do this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only problem with Three Visits is I don't want the stupid fairy version, I want the Three Kingdoms one, and that one is fifty bucks.

I mean I'll probably cave and get the fairy version but I'll be really mad about it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only problem with Three Visits is I don't want the stupid fairy version, I want the Three Kingdoms one, and that one is fifty bucks.

I mean I'll probably cave and get the fairy version but I'll be really mad about it.

But if you don't get the Three Kingdoms one then how will you convince Zhuge Liang to help you?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finally got around to hashing out a budget Birgi CEDH deck. This thing will hang at everything but the very top tables, where you'd need to just feed it $$$/proxies for manabase. It really hums and new Urabrask for backup is just what it needed. Definitely consider giving it a spin: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3HgUk7CuTkCi-kSkQ4qu0Q

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

This is entirely wrong and bad advice. Don't do this.

what's your counterpoint

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm coming back from my unintentional magic hiatus and picking up the knight precon, besides stuff like putting in better lands and rocks, streamlining the removal package and slapping in some goodstuff, what kind of spice should I sprinkle in while still staying in knight tribal? Stuff like adding crib swap to go with haakon, something cute and a bit janky to make hitting face with knights more interesting.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Silhouette posted:

what's your counterpoint

Judging by past Toshimo posts, it's "run mana positive rocks like the legal moxen" and "run rocks that come in untapped for mana instead of ramp that plays the land tapped" and "1 drop mana ramp like wild growth and elves is way better than 2 and 3 drop land ramp in environments where everyone is trying to win asap instead of dicking around"

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, Toshimo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I run taplands and inferior rocks and stuff because I also think several hundred for a "budget" deck is hilariously bonkers lol

Edit: this is why I don't play cEDH too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sega 32X posted:

Judging by past Toshimo posts, it's "run mana positive rocks like the legal moxen" and "run rocks that come in untapped for mana instead of ramp that plays the land tapped" and "1 drop mana ramp like wild growth and elves is way better than 2 and 3 drop land ramp in environments where everyone is trying to win asap instead of dicking around"

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, Toshimo

Also 2mv rocks like arcane signet and talismans are generally better than the even the best in land-based green ramp because sometimes you don't have green mana (unless it's a mono-green deck obviously).

Also also, the optimal strategy is probably to run both the best of the best of rocks and the best of the best of green ramp.

Depending on your meta and power level, non-land ramp can have downsides though; my playgroup sees a lot of Nevinyrral's Disk/Pernicious Deed-like effects that make land ramp better for the late-game. I generally run a mix of both in my green decks. but in a cEDH environment there's no reason to be running suboptimal poo poo like Farseek.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Finally got around to hashing out a budget Birgi CEDH deck. This thing will hang at everything but the very top tables, where you'd need to just feed it $$$/proxies for manabase. It really hums and new Urabrask for backup is just what it needed. Definitely consider giving it a spin: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3HgUk7CuTkCi-kSkQ4qu0Q

This looks like it slaps. I saw a Birgi storm deck on youtube recently and it kicked rear end and I promptly added it to my long list of cool mono-red decks I wanted to build

syntaxfunction posted:

I run taplands and inferior rocks and stuff because I also think several hundred for a "budget" deck is hilariously bonkers lol

Edit: this is why I don't play cEDH too.

<$500 is pretty dang cheap for a good cEDH deck when they usually run around $2500+. If you don't like that you can always proxy.

LanceKing2200 posted:

Question for the thread. When building Izzet Spellslinger decks with a value Commander, how do you actually win?

I've built Mizzix in the past, and just recently build Baral and Kari Zev, and both times I could get big explosive turns, but never close the game out.

And don't just say "Copy Time Stretch" because I have literally had games where I took 3+ turns in a row and accomplished nothing.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/ENMoNNidb02-ewa_X14HQw

Here's a list I made and should probably update. Check out the primer I wrote for it to explain all the different ways it can be played.

The long and short of it is that Izzet shares a lot of the same themes but can be played in totally different ways depending on how you use your commander, so I built a deck that can use multiple commanders interchangably with minimal dead cards as I chose cards that are all generally useful no matter which you choose. It's also designed as a good starting point for beginners since almost every card was chosen as a good staple card for EDH in general, so if you ever choose to break the deck apart, the cards will very likely be useful in any other deck with red or blue. So even if you want to modify the deck to focus better on any one commander in it or make something entirely new, you've got some good tools to put to use.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 14, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Decent 3 mana options are Kodama's Reach/Cultivate, Harrow, Roiling Regrowth and since you're doing graveyard and token shenanigans, Ecological Appreciation, Harvest Season, Far Wanderings and Primal Growth.

I'd run every two-mana rock I could fit in my deck before I ran any three-mana land ramp, tbh. Arcane Signet, Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, the on-color signet and talisman. No problem with the two-mana land ramp, I play plenty of that, but it's been a long time since I bothered with Cultivate, and getting a Harrow countered is worse than getting a mana rock Abraded or whatever.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In TYOOL 2023, there are:
  • Like 40 different 2cmc rocks
  • Mana dorks
  • Aura-based ramp (Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl/erc)
  • 2-cmc land ramp

Even for a strictly tribal mono-green deck with no dorks (which the OP is not), you'd be like 20 cards deep before you found yourself reaching for a Cultivate. This is why we tell people to dumpster their Commander's Spheres and why Gavin is a shitburger for trying to unring the bell by printing subpar Manaliths.

A 2-lander with a Moss Diamond is keepable. A 2-lander with Kodama's Reach is not.

Artifacts and auras are not vulnerable enough that it would ever be a concern over bad land ramp, and telling new players that as fact is harmful. So, I reiterate, don't do that thing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Would Crystal Vein be worth it as another Dwarven Ruin-type of land, or is the potential two colorless not good in the deck?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Would Crystal Vein be worth it as another Dwarven Ruin-type of land, or is the potential two colorless not good in the deck?

Crystal Vein/City ot Traitors/Anvient Tomb are all in the top powered decks, but I think they get away easier with it because of all the moxen. So, trying it without is something you can do, but I'm not sure how often it will bite you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's people's read on Asmoran[...]culdicar as a commander? It looks like it gets to play with all sorts of fun junk that I really enjoy and move things between zones a bunch, which is like my favorite thing in Magic. But does it have any real outlet to win?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's people's read on Asmoran[...]culdicar as a commander? It looks like it gets to play with all sorts of fun junk that I really enjoy and move things between zones a bunch, which is like my favorite thing in Magic. But does it have any real outlet to win?

I think the Modern deck's game plan is to use multiple copies of the cookbook to discard Ovalchase Daredevil and then get it back to hand, but you're really just trying to grind value at that point. I'm not sure there's an Asmo-specific strategy that you couldn't just pull off with a better Rakdos commander.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a bunch of artifacts that can put cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library (like Reito Lantern), so using the cookbook repeatedly shouldn't be an issue. My first instinct is to try to make a bunch of food tokens so Asmo can work as a removal cannon (Giant's Skewer seems fun), and for the win condition use group-slug ETB creatures that can be repeated with the cookbook (like Gray Merchant of Asphodel). Past that you'd want a bunch of other reanimate spells, and if you're leaning more on the red ETB creatures then damage doublers (like Solphim, Mayhem Dominus).

generatrix fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah, I've looked at her a few times and she always seems to have a much lower ceiling than Rakdos commanders that can do similar stuff.

Toshimo posted:

In TYOOL 2023, there are:
  • Like 40 different 2cmc rocks
  • Mana dorks
  • Aura-based ramp (Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl/erc)
  • 2-cmc land ramp

Even for a strictly tribal mono-green deck with no dorks (which the OP is not), you'd be like 20 cards deep before you found yourself reaching for a Cultivate. This is why we tell people to dumpster their Commander's Spheres and why Gavin is a shitburger for trying to unring the bell by printing subpar Manaliths.

A 2-lander with a Moss Diamond is keepable. A 2-lander with Kodama's Reach is not.

Artifacts and auras are not vulnerable enough that it would ever be a concern over bad land ramp, and telling new players that as fact is harmful. So, I reiterate, don't do that thing.

I agree about keeping it to 2 CMC, but I don't agree about the vulnerability of artifacts especially. It's not that they're particularly vulnerable, but any meta with even the bare minimum removal is going to be able to nuke a ton of them, if not destroy them as collateral damage with something like Vandalblast. I think Silhouette's point is that land destruction is much less common than artifact or even enchantment removal in most metas, so 2 CMC land ramp spells are safer than most rocks and net you the same starting with the next turn. This is to say nothing about mana dorks, who die to fucken everything. I agree that you want to stay on curve and guarantee you're ramping at least once in the first few turns, but doing that and then losing it all to some incidental damage or removal often isn't worth the risk if so many equal CMC land-based ramp is available (in green).

In any case, it's about using more of whatever synergizes with what you're doing anyway. If lands do that better, use land ramp. If artifacts do that better, use those. If you're into creature-based combos, then use more dorks and drat the risk. But no matter what, you should be using 15+ sources of ramp, and it should all be 0-2 CMC unless you have a really good reason that combos with your commander(s).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think the only times I'd play 3 mana ramp nowadays are Coalition Relic in a deck that really really cares about hitting 6 mana, and maybe Chromatic Lantern in a budget 5c deck.

And even those examples I'm not entirely sure on tbh

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I think the only times I'd play 3 mana ramp nowadays are Coalition Relic in a deck that really really cares about hitting 6 mana, and maybe Chromatic Lantern in a budget 5c deck.

Relic of Legends in an Oops All Legends deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Brimaz, Blight of Oreskos could be a fun deck. Lots of incidental threats that survive creature-only board wipes, and a sprinkle of poison that no one can get too mad about because it's just a defining mechanic of Phyrexian creatures, not the main goal of the deck. There's a lot more Phyrexians from older sets than I thought.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

There are absolutely 3CMC rocks worth playing.... In very specific decks.

• Basalt Monolith - If you can combo
  • Cursed Mirror - If you have stuff worth cloning
  • Midnight Clock - You are playing Brawl
  • Relic of Legends - Oops all Legends
  • Worn Powerstone

But, yeah, it's niche.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Batterypowered7 posted:

Relic of Legends in an Oops All Legends deck.

I also like the red clone etbl 3 mana rock

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I did some research and ordered a pretty competitive izzet spellslinger deck but after playing with it for a few weeks it’s a little too spikey for my tastes. With that in mind…

Am I missing any playable anthems? https://archidekt.com/decks/4342963

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 15, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

There are absolutely 3CMC rocks worth playing.... In very specific decks.

• Basalt Monolith - If you can combo
  • Cursed Mirror - If you have stuff worth cloning
  • Midnight Clock - You are playing Brawl
  • Relic of Legends - Oops all Legends
  • Worn Powerstone

But, yeah, it's niche.

I play Midnight Clock in my proliferate EDH deck, and you can't stop me! Bwwwaahahahahahahahahahaha!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I love Midnight Clock just cause you get to be obnoxious during other people's upkeeps :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I also forgot to say, that I play Coalition Relic in that same deck because its charge counter based and dumping a bunch of counters onto it for extra mana is baller.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Midnight Clock is less of a rock and more a draw 7 with risky suspend

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone been to a CommandFest recently? I'm in Atlanta and would be interested in going to one if they ever hosted it here, but most of my decks are either full proxies or have a couple of proxies in them, and I am wondering how the whole thing works. Like, are the Commander pods DCI sanctioned so we can't use proxies, or what?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone else received their Academics? How's the build quality? I know that one goon that showed here a magnet coming off.

Have you had any luck on having a product replacement?

Here in S. Texas haven't heard anything yet. No emails, nada.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Has anyone else received their Academics? How's the build quality? I know that one goon that showed here a magnet coming off.

Ah, it wasn't the magnet, mind you. It was one of the little nubs that just secures the lid to the box a little more. Prof's team messaged me back on Kickstarter saying they'd reach out to Miniature Market but I haven't heard from them since that. The box itself is great, though. Just your standard Gamegenic piece.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

Still waiting. :smith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

Sent the Kickstarter team a message and have gotten nothing in response

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Jiro posted:

Also still waiting. I really wanted to have it before I went to CommandFest Richmond. Ah well.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Anyone been to a CommandFest recently? I'm in Atlanta and would be interested in going to one if they ever hosted it here, but most of my decks are either full proxies or have a couple of proxies in them, and I am wondering how the whole thing works. Like, are the Commander pods DCI sanctioned so we can't use proxies, or what?

Admittedly not the best person to answer this since I didn’t play any of the Commander events, but there were lots of people playing casual Commander in Richmond in the “Command Zone” or whatever, and I don’t think anyone have a poo poo about proxies. I’d be a little more wary about actual events since they might official.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Jiro posted:

Which South Texas? SA?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Actual South Texas, not Central Texas.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/92BC04GdcEyj3cSjyK6xMA

After trying to run a few gimmicky decks both with my normal playgroup and at the FLGS, only to get completely poo poo on, I figure that I ought to start being the fun police in order to have any chance of winning a game. Looking at the all of the stax bullshit I have, a not-insignificant number of those are enchantments. Between that, and the random foil Ghen I'd found in an old Dragon Shield box of bulk rares, I wanted to try and use it not only to be a unique special snowflake (since there really aren't a ton of Ghen decks over on EDHRec), but also because I expect many of the obnoxious enchantments to be the target of removal, and being able to recur them again and again seems to be decent, especially in a staxy deck. Of course, as I type this up, there's a bunch of cards that I realize aren't in the deck but should be, so I just listed those in the "considering" section, and wouldn't mind cuts in order to fit them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I haven't received anything RE: Academic.

I'm also considering converting my zombie deck for Conquest, which means I can put demonic tutor into my sliver deck, or i can keep the zombie deck as edh and make a conquest sliver deck. thoughts?