Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nobody makes big endian computers in any context where you'd use ZFS so thankfully this is not something anyone needs to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

ARM is bi-endian in theory, but in practice it's almost always little-endian because that's what it comes as as default.

code:
% lscpu | grep Endi
Byte Order:                      Little Endian
% ssh raspberrypi lscpu | grep Endi
my whole life has been a lie.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not familiar with this, but what I think you're saying is that the on-disk records for ZFS are in native endian format, but the import/export tools account for this and alter records as necessary.

I believe EXT2/3/4 always uses little-endian for on-disk records (except for JBD2), and I'd assume that NTFS, HFS+, and BTRFS code all accounts for endianness issues, so it's probably really old UFS code that used native endianness without much thought of dealing with on-disk records across architectures.
From the specification:

quote:

ZFS is an adaptive-endian filesystem (providing the restrictions described in Chapter One) that allows for moving pools across machines with different architectures: little endian vs. big endian. The “E” portion of the block pointer indicates which format this block has been written out in. Block are always written out in the machine's native endian format.

[Snipped table of little endian and big endian having a value of 1 and 0 respectively]

If a pool is moved to a machine with a different endian format, the contents of the block are byte swapped on read.

By account for it, do you mean like ZFS does? Because last I checked, you can't take any other filesystem created on big-endian and mount it on little-endian. Maybe that's changed, but it's not exactly easy to check given how little big-endian (ha) hardware there is.
The only other alternative is ARM, but you'd have to have big-endian bootloader, kernel, userland, libraries, and everything else - and I don't know of any software stack that does that, and also has support the peripheral hardware (which better not include anything PCI or USB, since that's all little-endian)

VostokProgram posted:

Nobody makes big endian computers in any context where you'd use ZFS so thankfully this is not something anyone needs to worry about
Maybe, but zpool create -o compatibility=legacy pool device on Windows, exporting it, and importing it on a SPARCV9 with Solaris works.
Nothing else can do that, even if there's absolutely no reason to do it today - because you could do it back in 2007 when it was entirely possible to move from big-endian SPARC to little-endian x86; I know, because I helped do that on at least one storage setup (and who knows, ZFS is entirely likely to survive to a point that big endian architectures could become popular again).

cruft posted:

code:
% lscpu | grep Endi
% ssh raspberrypi lscpu | grep Endi
my whole life has been a lie.
The thing is, unless you're a network engineer or a sysadmin with considerable amount of gray in a metaphorical or actual beard, you've probably never really encountered big endian outside of the network.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 13, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

One time, $EMPLOYER built a big ol' supercomputer using Intel controller nodes and MIPS compute nodes.

It went about as well as you'd expect that to go for doing pantloads of numeric operations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

By account for it, do you mean like ZFS does?
No, I mean the on-disk records are consistently written in a specific endianness regardless of the CPU architecture, and the file-system code does endianness conversion (which may optimize to a no-op) whenever dealing with on-disk records.

I mean, I know ext2(/3/4) volumes are mountable across architectures. I went to check the Linux source to see if I could find evidence of when conversion macros were added (if they weren't always there) and well, it's actually right at the top of the file.

Because last I checked, you can't take any other filesystem created on big-endian and mount it on little-endian.
The Atari ST GEMDOS file-system is mostly compatible with MS-DOS FAT volumes and could read PC disks and vice-versa in 1985 (68k is big-endian). Amiga and Macintosh could do the same a bit later.

Like I totally buy this this was a problem with UFS, perhaps even for a long time. But sharing media across architectures has been done for a long time too.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

The thing is, unless you're a network engineer or a sysadmin with considerable amount of gray in a metaphorical or actual beard, you've probably never really encountered big endian outside of the network.

I was reading the W3C standard draft of PNG 3rd edition and it was the first time I'd seen big endian referred to as network-byte-order. Now I see that TCP only uses big endian, that makes more sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

waffle iron posted:

I was reading the W3C standard draft of PNG 3rd edition and it was the first time I'd seen big endian referred to as network-byte-order. Now I see that TCP only uses big endian, that makes more sense.

That’s what the “n” in hton/ntoh macros stands for!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've worked on a mainframe for a previous job but wasn't allowed to install Linux on it. Kinda want to try ZFS on CKD DASD storage now and see how it runs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

I've worked on a mainframe for a previous job but wasn't allowed to install Linux on it. Kinda want to try ZFS on CKD DASD storage now and see how it runs.

I worked on a mainframe for a previous job where my job was getting it to where you could install Linux on it!

It was a real trip, working on the friggin' z13 batfridge.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

cruft posted:

I worked on a mainframe for a previous job where my job was getting it to where you could install Linux on it!

Right? It's seriously impressive hardware. I wish I could say the same for the legacy software stack.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

cruft posted:

Jealous
I could never sell my company on LinuxOne. Buying a mainframe (Z16 is about to launch) in 2023 sounds like such a crazy thing to do, but IBM keeps making them (and my Power systems) so I'll take it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If I wanted to use a font similar to the IBM PS/2 CLI, is there an equivalent for Linux terminals? My dad's first computer was a PS/2 and it'd be kind of cool to replicate it the feel on my machine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How do you disable amplification of inputs with a default pipewire setup? It apparently thinks the Sound Canvas attached to my line-in is a microphone and I had to turn it down literally 57 dB to get it at a good level for loopback so I can play games with it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I wanted to use a font similar to the IBM PS/2 CLI, is there an equivalent for Linux terminals? My dad's first computer was a PS/2 and it'd be kind of cool to replicate it the feel on my machine.

https://www.dafont.com/perfect-dos-vga-437.font is that close?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seems to be! Thanks!

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I have a Dell Latitude 7390 2 in 1 with Garuda Dr4gonized installed and working really well. Except it won't auto rotate with KDE Plasma. Any ideas or a solution? I've looked at the Garuda forums and can't find an answer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Seems to be! Thanks!

And here you had me excited thinking the PS/2 had a unique VGA font when it's exactly the same as any generic IBM clone :negative:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

And here you had me excited thinking the PS/2 had a unique VGA font when it's exactly the same as any generic IBM clone :negative:
Funny story: Font typefaces aren't eligible for Copyright in the US, and neither are bitmapped fonts since they're simply a rasterization of a typeface*. So when PC hardware manufacturers starting cloning the MDA/CGA cards in the mid-80s they all cloned IBM's font in ROM.

This came to be known as the VGA or VGA16 font (it's 8x16 pixels). I don't think it's ever been officially distributed as part of X11, but Linux does distribute it for use with the framebuffer console.

The problem with the VGA16 font is that it doesn't cover much of Unicode. Some folks have gathered together as many of the codepages that were available and made Unicode versions of the font, including UNI-VGA and for a number of years this was the font I used with my xterms. It was still missing a number of glyphs so I gave it up when I switched my primary desktop to Chome OS about a decade ago.

* Scalable typefaces, of course, are eligible for Copyright protection as the hinting system is driven by code distributed in the font that runs inside a VM.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've used a couple of those extended VGA fonts before (mostly Perfect DOS 437), and I was wondering if any such fonts exist that have powerline characters, especially if they are pixelated to match the regular glyphs. Having the IBM VGA font with the chevrons and fancy colors would be funny as hell. It would be fun to wish I could afford to play with a DOS machine with a unique font, so I might have to look into what motherboards have oddball fonts.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a media share I want to allow another person to upload files to. I'm running Ubuntu, I can foward ports with ease, they are savvy enough to connect to a well secured, stable method. Is SFTP the answer? Something else? I'm having trouble finding the right way to ask this question on google.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think SFTP is the way to go because it comes free with SSH which you probably have or want anyway, and it's extremely simple to set up users and permissions for compared to normal FTP or SMB or others I've tried. Like you really just need to enable SFTP, then make a user for the person, and then give them normal write permissions where they need to upload stuff.

However maybe don't make the default port visible because it will probably get hammered by driveby attackers.

edit: does that apply to SFTP or just normal SSH? I guess an attacker can't do as much of interest if they only have an open SFTP port.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 15, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SFTP, on a nonstandard port, using pubkey authentication and with passwords turned off, should be good enough for anyone not specifically targeted by nation states.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

SFTP, on a nonstandard port, using pubkey authentication and with passwords turned off, should be good enough for anyone not specifically targeted by nation states.

Or even on a standard port. Ssh isn't exactly difficult to fingerprint, it sends a frickin' version banner when the client connects.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah just live with the probes, they’ll be harmless.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cruft posted:

Or even on a standard port. Ssh isn't exactly difficult to fingerprint, it sends a frickin' version banner when the client connects.

You're probably right, but not being on a list of "known SSH servers" is probably a tiny benefit if there are any zero days or such ... though the real benefit is that it makes my logs look nicer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's no harm in making it a non-standard ssh port unless you have some app that can't connect to anything that's not on 22.

You can even define the port to use in your ~/.ssh/config file, so you never have to think about it again.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LRADIKAL posted:

I have a media share I want to allow another person to upload files to. I'm running Ubuntu, I can foward ports with ease, they are savvy enough to connect to a well secured, stable method. Is SFTP the answer? Something else? I'm having trouble finding the right way to ask this question on google.

How often is he going to be uploading? Is he going to be downloading too? Literally the easiest and most cross platform way would be google drive or dropbox to avoid opening up your server with SFTP if you don't want to. Install google drive, invite him, let him upload. cp from google drive to wherever your "linux isos" are being stored.

assumption that these files are under 1gb, if not you're gonna want more than sftp for large files like that as I recall sftp resume is kinda iffy. I’d go with rysnc over ssh for that.

If you want a project. Minio does s3 and can do 50 tb buckets or some crazy poo poo.

oh and use Tailscale so you're vpn'd together too

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 16, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Computer viking posted:

You're probably right, but not being on a list of "known SSH servers" is probably a tiny benefit if there are any zero days or such ... though the real benefit is that it makes my logs look nicer.

This is reason enough if the SSH doesn't need to be reachable by large number of people. At work we have a system that alerts if there are more than a hundred failed login attempts on a day. A server with 22 open to the internet get's 10k attempts, a high custom port gets reported few times a year.

Theoretically SSH on a custom port is trivial to find, but no one bothers to go through the effort. If the admins were aware enough to use a custom port you probably wouldn't crack it anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I worked with some DOE national labs, they all used port 922 for ssh, but I never learned why. You had to auth your IP via an RSA token (it was a while ago…) before you could connect to anything, so they probably weren’t getting a lot of scans hitting the server.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i'm back and i'm ready to take your advice now, the one about which distro to install on my pc for the stuff my steam deck is kinda locked down for. using pip/python was the problem last time. i don't want to run into "but thats different on steam os!" stuff is the main goal. and leaner might be better? i'ma put it on an old junk pc

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the current SteamOS is based on Arch, so that might be what you need. Arch has a lean default install, so you won't have things like a GUI or audio until you install them. This also means you won't need to worry about tons of extraneous bullshit taking up disk or memory (until you end up installing them as part of a desktop).

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Why do you allow passwords at all?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Why do you allow users

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

Looks like the current SteamOS is based on Arch, so that might be what you need. Arch has a lean default install, so you won't have things like a GUI or audio until you install them. This also means you won't need to worry about tons of extraneous bullshit taking up disk or memory (until you end up installing them as part of a desktop).

lol i forgot where i was. i'm not an advanced user, i will sometimes deign to use a GUI for... fiddly things here and there :cry:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cum jabbar posted:

Alternatively, if you don’t want to work your way up from rocks and sticks to a graphical browser, you can use something like EndeavourOS (the closest thing I found to SteamOS that didn’t make me flash back to installing Whoever’s Boot&Root off two floppies in 1992(.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

jaegerx posted:

Why do you allow passwords at all?

Because being able to get in from a random device that may not even be mine is useful, and I'd rather type a long password while looking at the password manager on my phone than figure out some way to do that with keys.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

lol i forgot where i was. i'm not an advanced user, i will sometimes deign to use a GUI for... fiddly things here and there :cry:

Nothing wrong with a GUI, I'm just saying they are the main source of bloat. I run KDE myself and have for many years.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As for distros, just go for one of the big ones at first - it means there's a good chance other people will have had your exact problems, asked about them online, and have gotten concrete and specific answers already. Ubuntu and Fedora are probably the biggest, and both should be easy enough to get working and let you do most things from the GUI. Steam works fine on both, too.

E: neither are super slim with the default install, but give it a shot before deciding to scale down.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Because being able to get in from a random device that may not even be mine is useful, and I'd rather type a long password while looking at the password manager on my phone than figure out some way to do that with keys.

Random device? Like you're going to peoples laptops and logging in to your poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
If it wasn't for being able to use my security key some months back in a strangers phone along with my password I'd been quite screwed then