Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I do of course fully support all of our weird posters, they keep things fun here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

dril ftw

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

why thread title sad making

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Vox Nihili posted:

I do of course fully support all of our weird posters, they keep things fun here

one of the things that makes SA a unique online experience is that weird poo poo doesn't get instantly algorithm'd into oblivion

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

blatman posted:

one of the things that makes SA a unique online experience is that weird poo poo doesn't get instantly algorithm'd into oblivion

Retweeting this for visibility

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

blatman posted:

until someone figures out how to make a bespoke API from a texteditor to chatgpt to like, a parachute account or something here

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

.. look i do not understand these techbro STEMLord terms well, gently caress off

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

I just found out my landlord (gen x) who was trying to evict me in september stopped because he died. his wife has been chiller (so far). he was hospitalized w/ bronchitis in july so I assume it was the 'vid. he was a trucker and I assume the absence of his cab on the line is to blame for all of our recent supply chain woes.

he was trying to evict me because I said no thanks to an illegal rent increase after he saw all the news stories about record rent increases last year. heart goes out to his family... but also its nice not to worry about being homeless because of that. what a fuckin couple of years its been

the most beautiful story ever told in this thread

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/markasaurus/status/1646555788222304258

lmao city planning departments hate this one weird trick

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i am harry posted:

the most beautiful story ever told in this thread

i liked the other dude's story about his landlady but it had a sad ending iirc

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shackleford posted:

after a decade or two of lawsuits from everyone who finds themselves in that building's shadow it might actually get built

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a tech exec (allegedly) murdered the cashapp exec

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1646530770377244673

Ape has killed ape!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbf to hoots calling it doomsday for years was getting kind of stale

Also one person's doomsday is another person's golden opportunity.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

We all knew 2023 was going to be a tech bloodbath, just not how literally.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

shackleford posted:

quote:

If zoning is silent on something, that means you can do it. Like, sorry, too late… They never explicitly prohibited multiple towers because nobody has ever proposed it before. If they want to pass a new rule or ordinance to prohibit more than one tower, then they can do that. But they don’t have that rule right now.
One simple trick

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

great. fine. honestly surprised it happens so infrequently and am happy to see rates increase

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

after a decade or two of lawsuits from everyone who finds themselves in that building's shadow it might actually get built

being in the shadow during the summer cant be bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RadiRoot posted:

being in the shadow during the summer cant be bad.

They'll make it shiny and angled so it focuses the light like a magnifying glass and starts a few hours fires.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They'll make it shiny and angled so it focuses the light like a magnifying glass and starts a few hours fires.

oh yeah lol :sweatdrop:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

the only safe place to live or work in the neighborhood is inside the Archimedes Ray tower

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

shackleford posted:

$134 million to construct it. you could buy like seven houses in that area for that price.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shackleford posted:

Can we add a large bulbous dome with a revolving restaurant on the tip? I mean top.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

If trend continues the (fed projected) recession may have a deflationary cycle.

this is from a ways back…but

they almost always do have a pretty big but short deflationary period at the start.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

shackleford posted:

lol I hope the mad lads somehow manage to build it

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

apatheticman posted:

What about the untold horrors unleashed by an uncaring beast called capitalism thread?

that's called CSPAM

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Harik posted:

that's called CSPAM

Tell me about it :(

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The thing that's great about usenet is it's really easy to automate.

Downloads

SABnzbd - NZB processor. Goon project, I'm pretty sure
Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies
Gamebrary for videogames (though I haven't actually messed around with it)
And I use Plex as my media center but whatever you like is fine

Services

The best ones of these aren't free but they're still cheaper than HBO

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

A TRaSH guide on setting it all up

------------------------------------------------------

Why did I write this all up?

Just gonna quote-bookmark this to... not steal... things in the future. So I know what sites to definitely avoid while being impeccably honest. Yeah, that's the ticket..

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shackleford posted:

We have two options: little rowhouses or gigantic luxury skyscrapers. It's impossible to even imagine anything else.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

every homeowner is going to fight tooth and nail no matter what is proposed so might as well go big

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Can we add a large bulbous dome with a revolving restaurant on the tip? I mean top.

better?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

StratGoatCom posted:

Well gently caress, he finally went and did it.
lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

dads friend steve posted:

every homeowner is going to fight tooth and nail no matter what is proposed so might as well go big

It's too expensive to build a modest apartment if you are guaranteed a lengthy legal battle.

California is pushing cities to provide more housing. San Francisco needs to add 80k homes by 2031, so either approve thousands of 5-over-1s or build a hundred skyscrapers. This is all predicated on NIMBYs hating apartments less than whatever punishment the state government threatens.

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Relevant Tangent posted:

doom econ is perfect because doomsday implies a reckoning that will never come

what if i told you doomsday already happened?

we're post-doom now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/C_Barraud/status/1646734169022558208?t=qOGn8TRBCcIsVg4p5fNd8w&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Much thank you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Osv18 posted:

what if i told you doomsday already happened?

we're post-doom now.

I'm just going to change the definition of doomsday so that we're actually in a boom now.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
good with money thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

OK, let's try this: in your opinion, what comes after joe biden ignores a scotus order?

can you walk us through a hypothetical scenario? suppose biden (or really, any president) says "my administration will not abide by the decisions of an un-democratic corrupt court, and therefore i have directed the department of education to carry on with implementing my order"

how many civil servants would be OK with it, instead of resigning enmasse?

how many red states (and maybe even purple states) would openly revolt?

what types of headlines would dominate the media?

which party would benefit the most from a major constitutional crisis single-handedly caused by a Dem president?

these may be too much to think about for your simpleton brain but please at least try

ok now do the same thing but in a 5-4 decision the supreme court made slavery legal again

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

clarification: it's chattel slavery. im well aware slavery in general never went anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the ccp is my new god