Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

LuckyCat posted:

Are there any classes in a “modern” MMO that is a healer which heals the group by doing damage to the mobs? Closest I’ve ever come in a game was Chloromancer in Rift.

I’ve always loved that clerics traditionally have a mace, shield, and heavy armor so wouldn’t it be bad rear end and fitting that slamming their mace over a mobs head would lead to healing/inspiring the group?

Cleric in Shards of Dalaya, if you define modern as post-19th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Autisanal Cheese posted:

has anyone found the catch to Blue Protocol yet
The combat doesn't appeal to me at all, but if you like the combat it's a decent game

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 13, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
having now read about lost ark i don't even mind that i can't play it atm lol

i think i said this before, but yeah, RO with its custom builds and poo poo was insane for a mmo. even if it was balanced like complete rear end it was insanely fun on a lot of builds
had a few wizards, best one was agi wiz. high agi in combination with quagmire's -50% dex effect meant nothing would ever hit you it was amazing. just stand there doing long cast big damage spells while poo poo flails around you

also had a knight that only did autoattacks, except they were happening 5 times/second or some poo poo with a big sword so the dps was insane lmao

however, since i started seriously playing path of exile every couple leagues and now also last epoch, i've completely lost interest in ever going back. modern arpgs give the same/similar game feel but are way less janky

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Clicky Pen
Sep 23, 2007
Hello, would you like anything duct taped to your walls?
Postin' this alt-tabbed from an RO pserver and my god. If i ever get rich somehow I'm going to pester gravity until they let me license the pre-renewal version.

Like many others, I imagine, I've found nothing else that compares just right. I don't want a rotation, I want to spam skills until I get carpal tunnel from the best weekly 2 hours of gaming (War of Emperium) I've ever had with people. God dammit, gravity. What a waste.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Are there any classes in a “modern” MMO that is a healer which heals the group by doing damage to the mobs? Closest I’ve ever come in a game was Chloromancer in Rift.

I’ve always loved that clerics traditionally have a mace, shield, and heavy armor so wouldn’t it be bad rear end and fitting that slamming their mace over a mobs head would lead to healing/inspiring the group?

Lineage 2 had vamparic rage buff a dark elf healer could put ion someone that healed based on damage.

GW2 necro trait has something that does exactly the same.

But not the healer doing the damage

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

this kinda popped up out of nowhere i feel like?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277920/Ethyrial_Echoes_of_Yore/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Echoes of Yore mama

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm sure it'll pop back there shortly

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ethyrial_Echoes_of_Yore posted:

Navigate treacherous politics ...
each choice and skill mastery is essential to avoiding paths to brutal defeat.
Uh-huh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol this looks terrible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LLSix posted:

Uh-huh.

Defeat your political foes through wit, rhetoric, fire magic

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

it looks great shut up im going to play it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can anybody name an mmo properly anymore.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I said come in! posted:

lol this looks terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVTbKGn1ryY
I'm getting very "OSRS with a coat of fresh paint and some minecraft for flavor" vibes

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm getting very "OSRS with a coat of fresh paint and some minecraft for flavor" vibes
Is it full loot?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The resident dumbass (that is me) purchased Embers Adrift.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

wow it doesn't just look like completely empty barren poo poo sprinkled with unity store assets - it's also insanely unbalanced!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Is it full loot?

Apparently yes it is and you also lose xp for maximum fun. A caveat is that there's a system where there's a certain chance to lose items on death that increases every time you die, but this resets an hour after you die. This also applies to xp in a similar way I think.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Sorry, I only play MMOs where another party member's death causes you to lose xp.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want an mmo where party member death gives me an xp buff to make up for them being dead

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Cardboard Fox posted:

Sorry, I only play MMOs where another party member's death causes you to lose xp.
Lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

blatman posted:

I want an mmo where party member death gives me an xp buff to make up for them being dead

isn't that most old mmos? because i distinctly remember the party xp being split equally, which made soloing faster as long as you could survive the grind on your build

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I said come in! posted:

Every time I see this game mentioned I get excited but then I remember it's not Worlds Adrift and has no relation to Worlds Adrift.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Hra Mormo posted:

Every time I see this game mentioned I get excited but then I remember it's not Worlds Adrift and has no relation to Worlds Adrift.

:emptyquote:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Embers Adrift looks nice until you realize how janky and lame combat is.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Please report back on your inevitable disappointment and your potential, but unlikely, enjoyment?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Truga posted:

isn't that most old mmos? because i distinctly remember the party xp being split equally, which made soloing faster as long as you could survive the grind on your build

it was kinda weird in old eq where you got an xp bonus per person that didnt fully compensate for the xp split

for awhile you'd have a full group of soloers all soloing outside of xp range but they'd still get the grouping buff lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

I think I lucked out, the payment system Embers Adrift uses won't accept my credit card for whatever reason. So I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

blatman posted:

it was kinda weird in old eq where you got an xp bonus per person that didnt fully compensate for the xp split

for awhile you'd have a full group of soloers all soloing outside of xp range but they'd still get the grouping buff lol

A lot of pet classes would do that to avoid the exp penalty if your pet did more than 50% of the damage. Also don't forget some class/race combos had exp penalties that would apply to the entire group in a weird way, so some turbonerds would actively avoid grouping with, say, a troll shadowknight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I liked LOTR for having a pet class where you just have a guy with a standard follow you around

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Dark Age of Camelot had a cool necromancer class where you turned into a shade and cast all your spells through the pet. Also the bonedancer where you had multiple pets and you were encouraged to get in there and fight with them. That game had some real cool classes.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Embers Adrift looks nice until you realize how janky and lame combat is.

On Spot.

I bought the game a few week's ago and the combat was so dull and slow.

Also your surrounding's in the game are pretty drab as well.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
anyone heard of wayfinder? was anyone in the playtest?

https://www.playwayfinder.com/en

this kinda snuck up on me, is supposed to be in a similar ftp / p2w format as warframe, and is supposed to be coming out in june right after d4?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last King posted:

anyone heard of wayfinder? was anyone in the playtest?

https://www.playwayfinder.com/en

this kinda snuck up on me, is supposed to be in a similar ftp / p2w format as warframe, and is supposed to be coming out in june right after d4?

Yep! A lot of us have been waiting patiently for this one. Alpha and beta testing impressions have been really positive.Wayfinder is not an MMORPG though by the way. It has a social hub and then you jump into small group instanced missions like Warframe, Destiny 2, and Phantasy Star Online.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 22, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Oh it's being published by DE? that gives me hope that the monetization will be alright, warframes is pretty reasonable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im waiting for Soulframe (the other Fantasy Warframe) myself

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Probably said it before but I would be a lot more interested in Wayfinder if it wasn't all premade/named hero characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sachant posted:

Probably said it before but I would be a lot more interested in Wayfinder if it wasn't all premade/named hero characters.

It seems like a game too that could just as easily be a single player offline RPG. I know i've brought this up before, but so many online only games do absolutely nothing to justify their online requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Embers Adrift trip report: Game is exactly what I was hoping for in an old school MMORPG. Just the right amount of quality of life features, and the right amount of grinding, and needing to think about what you are doing. The developers clearly love games like Everquest, and Vanguard, integrated a lot of that into their MMO. It's a modest game with a very small team that did not get super ambitious. Hence the reason why this game is actually out, where other similar titles (like Pantheon) are never going to release. I wish there was more immersion and lore to the world, for example there are no buildings that you can enter, at least none that I have come across yet, and that is disappointing. But again; the team making this game is very small, and to add that sort of detail is going to be something that would need to be done much later down the line, if ever. The devs have more important things to focus on. This game probably will never have the lore and world building of Everquest, and that is okay.