Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

It still gets me when I read a draft blurb about someone and it's 100% wrong. Saw this on NFL Draft Buzz about Antonio Johnson:

He's a good safety but he has one career INT and like 7 passes deflected over three years of play because he's a box safety and rarely is even in position to make plays on the ball, like most box safeties. People just make poo poo up with draft blurbs or completely misquote scouts to force a narrative. Draft journalism is barely better than video game journalism except one is a total psychological hit on young athletes trying to find their careers.

I think this is what always gets me about these freaks. They know what types of traits and phrases go into these profiles, but either through laziness or just outright stupidity they don’t match. Like, if you don’t like writing draft capsules, get another job I beg of you. It’s like when video game journalists complain about having to play a game—-would you prefer working on a factory floor or in retail? do this on a dead comedy forum on the internet for free because there are a handful of people who enjoy talking about this sport like grown ups—it’s not that hard!

Also, I have my new hot take which is that Brian Branch probably should be going higher than we think in the modern NFL. The 2 man under requirements necessitate having at least 1 guy who can play deep zone and roll down in obvious running situations—Branch is that and will be a 10 year player if you don’t make him like play nickel for some reason.

Additionally, corner class has 1 elite guy and a bunch of system guys. Gonzales is plug and play even if he might occasionally have to play bail against big guys. Porter belongs in the Carroll/Bradley press for committed Cover 3 addicts. If he can fix some of his trail and hip-driven techniques he could be a guy who goes super saiyan in the league relative to his draft status like Surtain Jr. Witherspoon rules but is more of a nickel safety to me that you probably need to work with if you want him outside. He tackles like he can play outside, but a dude like him is going to commit penalties in 1 on 1 because he does a masterful job of hitting receivers just early enough to win and not get flagged over the middle. Ringo is another cover 3 press guy that’s going to remind people of Dre Kirkpatrick, not in a good way. I kinda think Cam Smith is undervalued and can be what Trent McDuffie is if he adds a few extra pounds.

In general not a great year for ballhawk but plenty of reasonable cover guys who aren’t complete tackling liabilities. Feel like a lot of high-end CB2s past Gonzales unless the scheme hits perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Everyone invited to the draft, not really any surprises I can think of.

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Jordan Addison, WR, USC
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
Keion White, Edge, Georgia Tech
Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech

Keion White over Myles Murphy and Lukas Van Ness is a little odd. Even Nolan Smith and Isaiah Foskey I would've figured as more likely to go in the first.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Caserio: it’s fine, who needs Stroud. We can take a total stud at another position this year, still totally suck rear end and tank, and get Caleb Williams next year! gg ez

DeMeco Ryans: solemnly salutes photo of Lovie Smith hanging in his office

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gonzalez's ability to turn his hips on a swivel is really neat I just get worried about how often he has to fling himself back into coverage at the route break.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

Keion White over Myles Murphy and Lukas Van Ness is a little odd. Even Nolan Smith and Isaiah Foskey I would've figured as more likely to go in the first.

Yeah that is a little odd. Keion White is 24 and pass rushes like hes got a turd in his pants

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PFF has White as their #120th prospect. I can't check the Athletics big board until I'm home from work. I wonder if this is the NFL indicating that a team is gonna reach for White.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I hope the Chiefs draft Quintin Johnston in the 1st round

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nervous posted:

Please continue to think this. Seattle will gladly win 15 NFC West titles in a row with AR.

Again, having watched basically every AR snap, and let me just say lol/lmao.

If he ever sees the field, enjoy electric runs, effortless 45yd incompletions, and a constant river of backbreaking turnovers.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Docjowles posted:

Caserio: it’s fine, who needs Stroud. We can take a total stud at another position this year, still totally suck rear end and tank, and get Caleb Williams next year! gg ez

DeMeco Ryans: solemnly salutes photo of Lovie Smith hanging in his office

Just draft Brock Purdy

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

SKULL.GIF posted:

PFF has White as their #120th prospect. I can't check the Athletics big board until I'm home from work. I wonder if this is the NFL indicating that a team is gonna reach for White.

Daniel Jeremiah had him crazy high on his first big board, I wanna say in the top 10 or something. He's fallen down since then but I think he's still ranked as a first rounder, so there's at least one semi-reputable draft analyst who has him in that area

fake edit after actually looking it up: Yeah, he had him at #8 at the end of January, and he's fallen to #28 as of April 5. Here's the blurb from the initial list if you want the perspective of someone who's over the moon on Keion White:

quote:

White is a twitched-up edge rusher with a defensive tackle frame. Against the pass, he has an explosive first step and can really bend at the top of his rush. He can convert speed to power and refuses to stay blocked. He never stops working to free himself and he can stack one move after another. He is a freaky athlete in coverage. On tape, you can see him peel off and mirror running backs 30 yards down the field. He also showed off his effort and motor by running more than 80 yards to look for a block on a Georgia Tech fumble return vs. Florida State. Against the run, he is violent with his hands to shock and shed blocks. He has a huge burst to close from the back side. Overall, White is one of my favorite players in the class and could emerge as the top defender in the class.

Brugler has him as the #9 edge and #47 overall

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

I hope the Chiefs draft Quintin Johnston in the 1st round

I think we'd have to trade up

I would also accept Mingo in the 2nd

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
44 Keion White Edge/DL/OLB Georgia Tech Started freshman year for ODU, transfered to Georgia Tech, lost sophomore year to Covid Year, junior year to an ankle injury, then played both Edges and some stand up pass rushing from OLB senior year. Great get off with long first stride, good leverage, and fluid hips for a big man. Can change direction with ease which makes him a great gap filler and QB spy. Violent hands with good initial punch, fights and chucks after getting stood up. Fights hard through double teams with active feet. Good wrap up tackler. Kind of plays himself out of the run game, doesn't read the backfield well and ends up away from plays. Lowers his head and sticks his arm out when trying to take the outside edge rush, it works but turns into guess work when to cut up. Punch is great but way too high, looks like he should be moving OTs but it gives them time to reset. Doesn't use his agility to trick anyone outside of a spin move, picks an angle and goes. Already 24. Versatility is intriguing, could legitimately play 5 tech or stand up and be a 3-4 OLB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgkWazXjJwM

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kalli posted:

Everyone invited to the draft, not really any surprises I can think of.

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Jordan Addison, WR, USC
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
Keion White, Edge, Georgia Tech
Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech

Skoronski didn't get an invite? T-Rex arms cost him a trip to the draft.

Who is the funniest possibility for the Aaron Rodgers Green Room award?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anthony Richardson

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

Anthony Richardson

Was it Malik Willis last year? Someone stayed in that green room until Day 3.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just thinking after all the hype it would be kind of amazing if the whole NFL said nah

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

kiimo posted:

I was just thinking after all the hype it would be kind of amazing if the whole NFL said nah

I’m old enough to remember the gameday for UK-UF and all the comparisons to NFL stars for Richardson and Levis—just before their seasons imploded simultaneously.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think its a very funny indictment of the entire draft scouting process and how influenced it is by recency bias that a guy who's projected to go in the 6th round at best and more likely to go undrafted has the prospect comp to Josh Rosen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alaois posted:

i think its a very funny indictment of the entire draft scouting process and how influenced it is by recency bias that a guy who's projected to go in the 6th round at best and more likely to go undrafted has the prospect comp to Josh Rosen

Josh Rosen is as big of a bust as Ryan Leaf with how he changed perception of QBs who can't hit slant routes with any sort of timing (looking at you Levis

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thinkin bout Christian Ponder

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Ponderin about Brady Quinn

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

kiimo posted:

I would really love it if all goons collectively unfollowed Dov Kleiman

the ravens subreddit straight up banned him lol https://www.reddit.com/r/ravens/comments/12ey4w2/message_from_the_mods_dov_kleiman_tweets_are_no/

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Was it Malik Willis last year? Someone stayed in that green room until Day 3.

3 guys hung out until the 3rd round last year.

Unrelated, if you can't handle the Dov grift that's on you.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Malik was definitely the biggest though because a few mocks had him going 1st overall (no one sane) and on average the worst had him going late 1st round.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Malik looked really good in practice but he's hesitant and bad in the NFL. Hard to place any QBs in a weak QB year since you're basically relying on a GM to go eh gently caress it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Who would be a good EDGE for the Todd Bowles system in say rounds 2-4?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wandler20 posted:

I think Bowles mainly looks for one-gap players, right?

If so I think Zach Harrison from Ohio fits the bill nicely. Great frame, upfield quickness, and athletics. Elite wingspan. He's more straight line gogogo than bendy and shifty. But seems like a perfect one-gap, upside-oriented prospect. He only had 14ish plays behind the line of scrimmage but he also had a nice amount of passes deflected. I think he's neat and can impact the game in a few different ways, even if his edge-setting and pass-rush-technique both need work.

As an average, big boards seem to have him in the third.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1646906240952410113?s=20

Not great, Bob.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it's better to be bad all the time like Richardson

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

This guy was on local sports radio talking about this and I was getting real mad until I realized he was PFF and then just stopped paying attention.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PFF sucks and people get mad because they post their fake “stats” compiled by underpaid interns to justify their bad takes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
God, c'mon, please, pop the right pills Irsay and swallow this bait whole

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1646935360251764740?t=ZZEHOK-ir4lQJskw55hLcQ&s=19

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

wandler20 posted:

I think it’s hard to say with Bowles, generally speaking I’d say that he isn’t super concerned about coverage for an OLB and he’s willing to field some bigger guys than you’d expect.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People seem to get irrationally mad if you don't love PFF as if they weren't poor under cross examination for almost all of their company's timeline.

We can make the case for them either way, but that's a bad trait to have.

18th percentile in the KIIMO BS grade under scrutiny the last two seasons.

click and subscribe

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

God, c'mon, please, pop the right pills Irsay and swallow this bait whole

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1646935360251764740?t=ZZEHOK-ir4lQJskw55hLcQ&s=19

NFL teams talking themselves into the white qb because he’s real smart? :thunk:

Do many highly drafted guys bomb out because they literally can’t remember the playbook? I mean there was JaMarcus with the all time great blank VHS story. But he’s a legend for a reason

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Docjowles posted:

NFL teams talking themselves into the white qb because he’s real smart? :thunk:

Do many highly drafted guys bomb out because they literally can’t remember the playbook? I mean there was JaMarcus with the all time great blank VHS story. But he’s a legend for a reason

I think this is actually a fair point for teams to be sold on him about. Having already shown he can run a pro style offense is significant. It would just be nice if his tape reflected the ability to run it well

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

kiimo posted:

People seem to get irrationally mad if you don't love PFF as if they weren't poor under cross examination for almost all of their company's timeline.

We can make the case for them either way, but that's a bad trait to have.

18th percentile in the KIIMO BS grade under scrutiny the last two seasons.

click and subscribe

I’m clicking but there’s no subscribing???

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If anything that shows Levis is likely to be able to hang around the league for awhile as a backup even if he doesn't pan out.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m clicking but there’s no subscribing???

Try the report button :hehe:

(Is joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I'm a Kentucky homer, but Levis had 1 quality WR (no offense to Josh Ali, but there's a reason Wan'Dale caught 107 balls) in 2021 and a brand new OC in Liam Cohen. He had a very stout running game and offensive line, but not a ton of guys who didn't need to be schemed open. In 2022 he had the most disappointing offensive line I've seen at UK in years, a new (and lovely) OC, his starting RB (all-time school leader in 100 yard games) suspended for the first 4 games, and two talented but freshmen WRs.

He could be a giant bust and maybe he ruins some GMs career, but I think he deserves a few stable years under the same coaching and with an NFL-caliber cast to see what he will be as a pro.