Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

It’s always been there but I think it kicked into overdrive when the Pro consoles came out. People started talking about Gflops and frame pacing and stuff more often

On the other hand I wouldn't buy a PS5 (no games) or a new Xbox (Game Pass, so pointless) regardless, so I guess the Switch actually does win by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1646658139599814656?s=20

kirrrbuya miiiishima

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mildly interesting: the oldest game you can buy on steam is from 1983 and it's called Dragon's Lair

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37rXORCKxo

VostokProgram posted:

mildly interesting: the oldest game you can buy on steam is from 1983 and it's called Dragon's Lair

aka Coin Eater

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

feel like the right answer is probably atari 50 since it has games from the 70s

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

turns out the spinning top karakuri is really fuckin' strong, and i got the monkey down on my first attempt

but shadowplay decided to just completely break instead of doing its job!! :argh:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

the story behind this is a fascinating time capsule of a bygone era: randy linden, the guy behind the SNES port of DOOM and some other stuff like bleem!, thought he might be able to get a home version of the game running on the amiga, so he managed to get in touch with the company behind the arcade machine via bugging downtown toronto arcade owners to get a laserdisc copy, bummed a laserdisc reader from a local A/V store, convinced a tech company to loan him an experimental video digitizer, and then got a team of artists and sound engineers to clean up the resulting port to produce something with visual fidelity that was almost unheard of in 1983

hell of a hustle for what was essentially a passion project to see if he could actually manage to get it up and running with no clue if it was truly possible

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, I remember reading about this game being stupid loving hard, but that its introduction to arcades at the time was pretty mindblowing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I remember reading about this game being stupid loving hard, but that its introduction to arcades at the time was pretty mindblowing.

it wasn't "hard" so much as it was deliberately designed to eat quarters by making everything a QTE that only had a single correct answer; you were effectively paying to memorize a sequence

it was definitely impressive looking for the time compared to the actual fare on offer at the arcades back then, but it was realistically nothing more than a glorified DVD menu

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Don Bluth is such a good animator...I miss movies by him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's no Bakshi

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

today instead of beating my head against lu bu i will beat my head against this stupid monkey
"sun wukong is coming for you" -- Wild Hearts, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

it wasn't "hard" so much as it was deliberately designed to eat quarters by making everything a QTE that only had a single correct answer; you were effectively paying to memorize a sequence

it was definitely impressive looking for the time compared to the actual fare on offer at the arcades back then, but it was realistically nothing more than a glorified DVD menu

There's a straight lines from the 80s to 90s where console games were made Bullshit Hard by design, which came from a coin-op mentality where people were expected to keep pumping money into a machine to continue, to where Lives/Continues became less and less of a concern.

I'm looking at you Bayou Billy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZcbojyLBs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Infinitum posted:

There's a straight lines from the 80s to 90s where console games were made Bullshit Hard by design, which came from a coin-op mentality where people were expected to keep pumping money into a machine to continue, to where Lives/Continues became less and less of a concern.

I'm looking at you Bayou Billy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZcbojyLBs

The original gaas

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's hilarious cause a lot of bad games back then are just hard for no reason, but if you think about the exact same game as an arcade cabinet where you need to keep pumping coins into it, everything suddenly makes sense.

Like the slow realisation over many many years of "maybe we don't need to dick our players over?" is just :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Then mobile devs very aggressively remembering that dicking over players is a great way to get some people to spend even more money.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The plebs can have their outdated Switch 2. I'll be over here with my PS5 Pro playing video games at a blazing 40 frames per second

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

He's no Bakshi

holly wood is fire

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm sure this has been discussed at length before but I just saw some gameplay from the latest Pokemon and lol those games do not look good.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cheetah7071 posted:

don't let the oracle games slip you by

they're not as big names as the rest but they're real good

Yeah they are both hidden gems

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

haveblue posted:

IIRC it is possible to save both the geth and the quarians together, but the prep work stretches back to the previous game

:smug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mega

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Time

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did they fix 4s translation or is it still full of stuff like “Leg’s go”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

Do yours not?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gripweed posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed at length before but I just saw some gameplay from the latest Pokemon and lol those games do not look good.

Yeah but with Pokémon you can argue its issues may not be the hardware but the people making it. The 3DS games had issues too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress!! Tricky dick steam got me again

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hatty posted:

As I understand it they did not touch most of the existing translation scripts, other than renaming SpoutMan to AquaMan. And I think changing Z-Saver to Z-Saber?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Gaius Marius posted:

Do yours not?

Only in the morning

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lamenting my lack of money with all these new games coming out, then I remembered I never filed my taxes lol.

Thank you Battle Network

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah but with Pokémon you can argue its issues may not be the hardware but the people making it. The 3DS games had issues too.

No the problem is that the people making it are being made to churn out an entire-rear end JRPG every year

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The wheels of merch must never stop, thus sayeth the Pokémon company

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

No the problem is that the people making it are being made to churn out an entire-rear end JRPG every year

Fair enough

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this month is full of bangers

4th best OC score of the year if that holds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god they gave megaman.exe chrisr pratt voice

23% of players already have the achievement for listening to 2 songs from each game soundtrack. games been out ten minutes, people know whats up

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 14, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I never played beyond the first game; do the sequels ever follow up on Megaman being a copy of the protagonist's dead twin brother?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good question. I just remembered earlier today that's who the MegaMan program is and I seem to recall his dad gets wrapped up in it more eventually somehow, or maybe he's the one who stuck his kid in there? so I look forward to seeing what's up as I've forgotten much, but I think that part of their bond continues. I don't remember the series gazing too deeply in any darkness it inadvertently introduced but I probably wasn't looking for it back then either.

On the surface sounds like an Outer Limits episode

edit: pvp scene is dead, just tried to start a ranked battle and over 2 minutes later still no bites edit2: lol no wonder if you choose "real thing" for battle option you have to wager an actual chip to lose.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

It's hilarious cause a lot of bad games back then are just hard for no reason, but if you think about the exact same game as an arcade cabinet where you need to keep pumping coins into it, everything suddenly makes sense.

Like the slow realisation over many many years of "maybe we don't need to dick our players over?" is just :allears:

I mean no, they still needed to dick their players over, because if you paid full price for Mega Man and it was so easy that you ran it start to end in an hour and a half no trouble, you'd be pretty upset. Not to mention the rental stores.

ChickenHeart posted:

I never played beyond the first game; do the sequels ever follow up on Megaman being a copy of the protagonist's dead twin brother?

2 sort of forgets about it, but it's pretty important to the plot of 3 and regularly referenced in the later ones.