Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDP1
Mar 11, 2023
i've been visited by the
[**]Linux Gnu (cow)[**]

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve never written code in a professional setting

I've never written code but I was paid to delete some code once

Lifetime lines of code: -7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

at an old job, the CEO insisted on hiring engineers for every position, including HR.

my company tried something like this for a while, where the expectation was that the only promotion track for engineers after a certain point was into management, and the end result was just a bunch of our best engineers quitting.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

im not a communist

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Share Bear posted:

I likely have more professional respect for anyone who posts here than any random person from a FAANG

this seems appropriate to me. you should generally respect the people willingly associate with more than semi-random groups of people

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i never really cared about david bowie or his music

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

distortion park posted:

im not a communist

guillotine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

my company tried something like this for a while, where the expectation was that the only promotion track for engineers after a certain point was into management, and the end result was just a bunch of our best engineers quitting.

yeah as an addendum the dude was crazy and drove his company straight into the ground, last i checked the company was him, two of his brothers and an israeli consulting firm.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

VDP1 posted:

I've never written code but I was paid to delete some code once

Lifetime lines of code: -7

the software engineer version of a fyad poster. much respect.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

i like typescript and think people should stop whinging about javascript

I want to write crime committer ][ in typescript but i don’t get how to make a header for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Share Bear posted:

I likely have more professional respect for anyone who posts here than any random person from a FAANG

its basically the same group of people tho

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i know how kubernetes works

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i masturbate in front of my cats

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

its basically the same group of people tho

um excuse me yospos also has some
fuckin weirdos

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MeruFM posted:

i know how kubernetes works

disgusting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

it is taking all my self control not to queue them up for a ban

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i... dont think i actually like mac os that much. im realizing that i have massive nostalgia for my powermacs with 10.3 and 10.4, which i stopped using daily in like 2006.

ive been daily driving monterey for a couple months now, and im finding it more annoying than i had hoped. i hate to say it, but other than being more stable than windows, it really doesnt seem to have anything for me that i didn't have in windows 10, and that might just be from having 4x the ram i used to have. even the design isnt as pleasing to me as i remember it being.

idk man, i was expecting this to be a pleasant return to my roots, but i guess im just not the same person i was 20 years ago, somehow. lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've flip flopped for years between windows and mac at home (w/ occasional linux use) and now i just use a mac b/c it's the least annoying :shobon:

also can't game anymore and that was my biggest reason for having a desktop pc

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I want to write crime committer ][ in typescript but i don’t get how to make a header for it

do you mean a type definition file? you don’t really need to do that unless you want to publish it to npm as a module

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've flip flopped for years between windows and mac at home (w/ occasional linux use) and now i just use a mac b/c it's the least annoying :shobon:

praxis

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
actual confession: i no longer get excited about new technology and i'm a little scared i'm finally going to become a legit dinosaur in the industry who's completely out of touch

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

actual confession: i no longer get excited about new technology and i'm a little scared i'm finally going to become a legit dinosaur in the industry who's completely out of touch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

going to?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

:negative:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cold on a Cob posted:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Cold on a Cob posted:

same, between crypto and now LLM bullshit I'm really starting to worry that whatever I ever found interesting about computer-touching is evaporating right before me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
crypto is bullshit but I fear machine learning will be a game changer and failing to understand it would be profoundly disabling

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

crypto is bullshit but I fear machine learning will be a game changer and failing to understand it would be profoundly disabling

what's wild to me is how much more straight forward ml is compared with say... kubernetes.

k8s had me ready to hang up my keyboard, but i'm feeling way more at ease working tangentially to ml

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I kinda miss fax machines

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

there's not *that* much understand though. i don't think anyone has to be very fearful of falling behind with a minimum of effort and enough guts to pretend to know things. like, there's a mathematical core to training, but for most practical purposes that can be ignored unless one intends to get into deep R&D.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

what's wild to me is how much more straight forward ml is compared with say... kubernetes.

k8s had me ready to hang up my keyboard, but i'm feeling way more at ease working tangentially to ml

oh yeah, i have 100% written off being a competent infrastructure person myself. it is a sophisticated discipline and i don't think it'll get less so.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cold on a Cob posted:

also can't game anymore and that was my biggest reason for having a desktop pc

i just use whatever tehy put in front of me tbh

i only have wsl installed because its fun to do sudo apt-get update every once in a while

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i just use whatever tehy put in front of me tbh

i only have wsl installed because its fun to do sudo apt-get update every once in a while

i mean at home, where i get a choice. at work i use windows 11 because i have no choice.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i don't know how to use windows or macos

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i use bookmarks instead of google for things besides finding new information, then i bookmark it and search my bookmarks usually

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the only vim command I know is :wq

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

the only vim command I know is :wq

what about i

Silver Alicorn