Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When Netflix raised their prices I downgraded from 4K and it was less money. I showed them! (I think.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is 4K good over streaming

I have a 1080 tv so it makes no difference to me haha. Still a big upgrade from my ol reliable 720. I like being a gen behind on AV stuff, I’m still buying dvds. Need to get back into vhs there’s some real bargains in that space

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Is 4K good over streaming

I have a 1080 tv so it makes no difference to me haha. Still a big upgrade from my ol reliable 720. I like being a gen behind on AV stuff, I’m still buying dvds. Need to get back into vhs there’s some real bargains in that space

If you don't have a 4k tv or if you do it makes no difference

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean the blu rays I have already make any streaming movie look like poo poo in 1080p. My eyes are perma blurry now but I’m sure I’ll get into the 4K thing at some point

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Charging for 4k is pretty poo poo and no amount of home repair shows can justify the price increase.

Back to Sunday night piracy I guess.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
They're just trying to make more money wherever they can. They've got wealthy shareholders to feed. They don't have to justify the price increase, they just charge more and wait to see what happens. It doesn't, however, give you a moral reason to pirate stuff, but I guess that's up to you to decide.

Honestly I don't care about the name thing. It's a popular service, we'll get over it. I'm not sure the scenario of a person trying to find HBO content and not knowing where to go is a real one, but I guess we'll see.

A MIRACLE posted:

I mean the blu rays I have already make any streaming movie look like poo poo in 1080p. My eyes are perma blurry now but I’m sure I’ll get into the 4K thing at some point

Yeah, sometimes I'll buy the 4K Blu-Ray of something that's still on streaming and I feel like a dumbass, but also, *I know it looks better*. I went back and forth with Dune just to confirm to myself in a completely lack of blind study.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As long as I get it free with my cable TV, I'm going to use it. That's why I'm using Paramount+ instead of Peacock, unlike this time last year!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
cancelled my max subscription. hope they see a significant dip the day they sent out the announcement emails because that'd be funny to me.

netflix manages to hang on solely for streaming bad reality shows with folks across the country

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Netflix also has good mobile games.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

Wh..what,??

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I did do a double take when I downloaded Into the Breach for my phone a few months ago and saw a Netflix logo

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The animated Cat Burglar game in Netflix itself is a lot of fun. Burned through it over a week during downtime on vacation recently.

IMMORTALITY (standalone game) is more of a visual novel, but can be a fun rabbit hole to fall down.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lazy_Liberal posted:

cancelled my max subscription. hope they see a significant dip the day they sent out the announcement emails because that'd be funny to me.

Too much good stuff coming out for me to even consider canceling Max (HBO) for a second. I don’t care if they only did HBO Sunday nights, still worth every penny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

There's just a thing where you get free games if you have a subscription

Terra Nil and Immortality, notably

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tagichatn posted:

Wonder Putt is an awesome time killer

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'll be keeping Max now that I know it's where I can find all the HBO shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jolo posted:

I'll be keeping Max now that I know it's where I can find all the HBO shows.

Well, about that...

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, about that...

Well, then at least Max has all of the great "Max After Dark" content.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'll be keeping Max because I get it through my AT&T account unless its yanked for some reason which lol

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For me, HBO (MAX) .......>AppleTV > Hulu & Amazon > YouTube ad free lol > Netflix , etc. HBO is still hitting that level of quality that will keep me watching for at least the next few years. The only question is if I am going to pay for 4K and extra streams or not.

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, about that...

I am the weirdo that only watches HBO for new content since I pretty much seen everything on its first run. I still do a random Deadwood, Wire, Sopranos, etc. rewatch when I feel that pull but that is about all.

The only real positive for me with Discovery being added is the Bourdain stuff, which I will rewatch a 100 times. Outside of that not much on that side that peaks my interest. Maybe something else is in there. I use to be a big fan of the Food Network back in the day, but the food content on YouTube > Food Network.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

The only real positive for me with Discovery being added is the Bourdain stuff, which I will rewatch a 100 times. Outside of that not much on that side that peaks my interest. Maybe something else is in there. I use to be a big fan of the Food Network back in the day, but the food content on YouTube > Food Network.

Oh is that where the Bourdain stuff was moved to? I used to watch that endlessly, and then it disappeared one day. Is there a bluray I can buy? I should probably do that before it disappears again.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Beef was real good wow

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh yeah I did do a double take when I downloaded Into the Breach for my phone a few months ago and saw a Netflix logo

I don't think they were involved in making Into the Breach, but they did setup a contract with them to distribute it free to Netflix subscribers so that's probably where the logo came from.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh is that where the Bourdain stuff was moved to? I used to watch that endlessly, and then it disappeared one day. Is there a bluray I can buy? I should probably do that before it disappears again.

Last time I looked all of No Reservations was on Discovery+ and I think they moved Parts Unknown there. I did try to buy No Reservations on iTunes, but you can only buy it by chapters (no complete series option). Parts Unknown is like $80 for the complete series, but if ever goes on sale I am grabbing it

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I also enjoyed Beef a lot. Interesting look at very realistic people, absurd escalation, often times very darkly funny but also serious. I feel like we've gotten a few things like this recently but I can't remember what else or articulate the idea more eloquently.

The Mandalorian is whatever but the last episode ("chapter 23") was pretty good stuff. If you like Star Wars action it's worth checking out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Last time I looked all of No Reservations was on Discovery+ and I think they moved Parts Unknown there. I did try to buy No Reservations on iTunes, but you can only buy it by chapters (no complete series option). Parts Unknown is like $80 for the complete series, but if ever goes on sale I am grabbing it

Yeah, I looked on Amazon for Parts Unknown and it looked like you could only buy it by season digitally, no hard copy releases.

I miss that man

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

cocaine bear is now on peacock

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vertical Lime posted:

cocaine bear is now on peacock

Good for us, probably not for Elizabeth Banks.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
BEEF had a mangosteen reference, and I pointed at the screen like Leonardo DiCaprio.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The first season of Clone High just popped up on HBO Max for those that haven't seen it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

Beef was real good wow

I watched the first episode at 10 pm last night and ended up binging the whole show near 4 in the morning. Just one mored myself clear through the series. I do not recommend this approach. Seems like a show that really benefits from space to breathe and ponder between episodes.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
no idea why i waited so long to watch the aplinist. christ, so good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Hmm is that the one about Marc Andre? It made me cry even though I already knew how it ended

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It is, yeah. I did not know how it ended :(

Good movie though, not quite as well done as free solo but he was an amazing climber

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

clean ayers act posted:

no idea why i waited so long to watch the aplinist. christ, so good.

I also found this enjoyable. His smoothness and confidence when climbing insane poo poo is hard to wrap my head around. Plus I like seeing Alex Honnold interviewed in basically any capacity because he's hilarious.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I watched the first episode at 10 pm last night and ended up binging the whole show near 4 in the morning. Just one mored myself clear through the series. I do not recommend this approach. Seems like a show that really benefits from space to breathe and ponder between episodes.

Same. Something about it is perfect zombie watch material.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All the 90s tracks fit so well in Beef too

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

It is, yeah. I did not know how it ended :(

Good movie though, not quite as well done as free solo but he was an amazing climber

A lot of it probably comes down to finding Leclerc more interesting as a subject than Honnold but I like The Alpinist more. I also think the shots were way more stress-inducing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Umm his girlfriend talking about him in the past tense is like the saddest thing I’ve ever watched on tv

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I never liked Into the Wild but I got it after watching The Alpinist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

A MIRACLE posted:

Hmm is that the one about Marc Andre? It made me cry even though I already knew how it ended

i had no idea how it ended, i generally know nothing about the climbing world in general although i respect the hell out of the people who do it. I had a feeling he would die at the end just based on the insane stuff he was doing but it still was depressing as hell