Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Just saw the latest Final Fantasy 16 state of play and holy poo poo my body is read. YoshiP you absolute monster.

A mainline Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda game in the same year??? Hasn't happened since Spirit Tracks and FF13 came out in 2009!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh no, in addition to the Turkish historical drama I'm now watching a Chinese palace drama.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Heading to the coast for an extended weekend. Wonder how it will be out there?

https://twitter.com/theinsiderpaper/status/1646701011061309444?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

Oh.

lol the original article is from the Daily Mail so you’ll be fine

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So this show about Ted Lasso coaching a Soccer team has very little soccer and even less Ted lately

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 14, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

So this show about Ted Lasso coaching a Soccer team has very little soccer and even less soccer lately

Its gone waaaaaay into drama about the owner and her friend etc and no where near enough about quirky sports stuff.

Season one with lasso being super confused about soccer was fun as hell.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Unless you make Ted a complete idiot, he's gonna learn about soccer. And part of Ted's charm is he's a nice guy and also not an idiot.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

A mainline Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda game in the same year??? Hasn't happened since Spirit Tracks and FF13 came out in 2009!

I'm thinking both series will have better results this time around.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This season of Lasso is great.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my wife got me a delicious burger for lunch, and then took me out to the D&D movie for dinner date, and then we came back and caught the latest mando and the latest Picard, not loving bad for a thursday!

D&D movie was fun, Mando was whatever, Picard was :kiss: they finally remembered what fans of the character jean luc picard actually want and they're gonna give it to us, yay

put him and his ol pals at the helm of the D and point them at the Borg, yup

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/theinsiderpaper/status/1646701011061309444?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

Oh.

Will this be the one that finally makes California slide off into the ocean, as it was supposed to between 2010-2020?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Freaquency posted:

lol the original article is from the Daily Mail so you’ll be fine

The one to actually worry about is the cascadia subduction zone

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Will this be the one that finally makes California slide off into the ocean, as it was supposed to between 2010-2020?

I always thought this until I moved here and then found out that the big one will actually cause the ground to move upwards not out to sea

Not that that matters when the entire valley where I live turns to liquefaction

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Liquefaction is good, it means when your poorly built $700k condo collapses and sinks into the slurry of dust and loose styrofoam packing pellets that they leveled the Valley out with 50 years ago, it will probably not catch on fire as much

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ether Frenzy posted:

Liquefaction is good, it means when your poorly built $700k condo collapses and sinks into the slurry of dust and loose styrofoam packing pellets that they leveled the Valley out with 50 years ago, it will probably not catch on fire as much
Does the house just sink into the packing pellets, or slide along the packing pellets into the sea and possibly on fire like the wild video from Fukushima?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
the insurance company, waiting to hear my answer: Oh that's the one situation where there is no coverage I'm sorry sir

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Juno temple looking rough.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

EmbryoSteve posted:

If you're interested in psych stuff become a counselor. We need more therapists.

In my experience many prescribers who don't also practice therapy aren't always helpful since they think the can just prescribe a cure to the "problem" rather than address what the actual problem is that Is manifesting as psychiatric symptoms (psychotic, bi polar, and AdHd dx not withstanding as those are things you learn to live with and manage with meds). Clients have talked at length with me about difficulties with prescribers not understanding their issues and not listening to them. Not to mention that most prescribers only see clients once every 3-6 months to check on med efficacy most of the time.

Meds have their place imo but if you want to be face to face with mental health and join people on their journey to a new healthy and adaptive life and hold the honor of thier secrets and pain as you guide and suuport them in thier most challenging moments then become a counselor. (Therapy rules)

That’s good insight, thanks! I’ve looked into therapy as well. It’s sort of confusing to parse as an outsider because there are a million different names for seemingly very similar positions.

What sort of school and training do you have? Do you work at a practice or are you independent? What sort of relationships do you have with prescribers?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ether Frenzy posted:

The bank is gonna take it out of the packing peanuts for the next potential owner and say "see it's still in its original packaging!" That's how they getcha.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Its gone waaaaaay into drama about the owner and her friend etc and no where near enough about quirky sports stuff.

Season one with lasso being super confused about soccer was fun as hell.

I’m fine with this, Rebecca and Keeley are excellent and TBH all of the supporting cast are loving great so that works for me. I’m halfway through season 2 rewatch and GFs first time then we’re onto season 3

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Season 3 Episode 9 of Picard.

:discourse:

Perfection for an old TNG fan like me. Perfection.

I'm still on season 2 but it's been such weird trash I think I'm just gonna find the highlights on Youtube and skip straight to season 3. Need to get caught up by next Thursday anyway.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Oh.

We call this warning "thursday" here in the PNW

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Ehud posted:

That’s good insight, thanks! I’ve looked into therapy as well. It’s sort of confusing to parse as an outsider because there are a million different names for seemingly very similar positions.

What sort of school and training do you have? Do you work at a practice or are you independent? What sort of relationships do you have with prescribers?

I have a bachelor's in Women, Sexuality, and Gender studies and a Masters degree in clinical mental.health counseling. I practice in the northwest (go hawks) so acronyms will be specific to my state. I think in Florida my license is called LPC ( licensed professional counselor). I didn't take my first actual proper psych class until grad school. Youu don't need a psych background to be a good counselor.

I am fully.licensed now so I could do private practice but I have been part of agencies because I have a family so i can insure I have a stable income and health benefits for them.

I will be starting in May at a local hospitals counseling clinic so with many ofmy referrals and clients coming from their PCP and health care system so working prescribers will be a big part of my job! I have worked at community mental health agency's in the past with integrated Healthcare and prescribers as you imagine are a mixed bag. Some are grounded and cool others are haughty and need enpathy training.

Many times I see myself as a client advocate and get to see how the impacts of meds are playing out on a client's everyday life since i see them every week or every other week. I am often the one who makes the Dsm diagnosis and consult with the prescriber about how symptoms are manifesting (I don't make any med recommendations or anything like that) and how efficacious the meds are for the client and relay symptoms or prompt early meetings between clients and the prescribers.

Everyone thinks thier tools are the best so I always keep that in mind. I mostly view meds for non psychotic/bipolar/adhd dx as either a bridge until the client can begin to integrate therapy into their life or not necessary because therapy works. But a surgeon will almost always opt for surgery, the oncologist almost always opt.for chemo etc to take that with that perspective. There is no one way to heal

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just finished listening to the new Metallica album. Aside from Lux Aeterna they reverted to the bluesy stuff they did in the 90s. Overall it sounds way better when you play it at 1.5x.

Which hell I can't blame them, they're all approaching 60.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I’m fine with this, Rebecca and Keeley are excellent and TBH all of the supporting cast are loving great so that works for me. I’m halfway through season 2 rewatch and GFs first time then we’re onto season 3

I’m the same, I feel like if they’d dragged out the “haha I’m an American I don’t know anything about soccer” joke for 3 seasons it would have been well stale by now. They still have throw away jokes where it shows he’s learned a lot but still doesn’t have everything down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EmbryoSteve posted:

We call this warning "thursday" here in the PNW

Huh, had one yesterday, even, off the coast of Vancouver Island. Piddly 6.0 though (that's still pretty big as I understand things, just not the one that clickbait is advertising).

They're calling for a straight up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake. Which seems like it'd ruin a lot of people's day whenever it does happen.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Just finished listening to the new Metallica album. Aside from Lux Aeterna they reverted to the bluesy stuff they did in the 90s. Overall it sounds way better when you play it at 1.5x.

Which hell I can't blame them, they're all approaching 60.

Ngl, I've been thinking they've been older than that for ages, because they all look way older than 60

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

Electrical Engineering. I’m squarely in prerequisite and math-review mode which has been pretty fun and interesting but thankfully, even though the majority of my higher level credits are expired, I got basically all of my general ed requirements transferred in.

Celebrating getting out of gen ed requirements in favor of "real" classes, you really are an engineer at heart

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want a time waster/mindless game, preferably for Switch. Which is better, Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing? They both seem relatively the same - or is there a better one?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

EmbryoSteve posted:

I have a bachelor's in Women, Sexuality, and Gender studies and a Masters degree in clinical mental.health counseling. I practice in the northwest (go hawks) so acronyms will be specific to my state. I think in Florida my license is called LPC ( licensed professional counselor). I didn't take my first actual proper psych class until grad school. Youu don't need a psych background to be a good counselor.

I am fully.licensed now so I could do private practice but I have been part of agencies because I have a family so i can insure I have a stable income and health benefits for them.

I will be starting in May at a local hospitals counseling clinic so with many ofmy referrals and clients coming from their PCP and health care system so working prescribers will be a big part of my job! I have worked at community mental health agency's in the past with integrated Healthcare and prescribers as you imagine are a mixed bag. Some are grounded and cool others are haughty and need enpathy training.

Many times I see myself as a client advocate and get to see how the impacts of meds are playing out on a client's everyday life since i see them every week or every other week. I am often the one who makes the Dsm diagnosis and consult with the prescriber about how symptoms are manifesting (I don't make any med recommendations or anything like that) and how efficacious the meds are for the client and relay symptoms or prompt early meetings between clients and the prescribers.

Everyone thinks thier tools are the best so I always keep that in mind. I mostly view meds for non psychotic/bipolar/adhd dx as either a bridge until the client can begin to integrate therapy into their life or not necessary because therapy works. But a surgeon will almost always opt for surgery, the oncologist almost always opt.for chemo etc to take that with that perspective. There is no one way to heal

Great info ty!

I've never completed a college degree, so I could go literally any direction for an undergrad. I'm thinking about making an appointment with a counselor at my local community college to try and narrow my focus a bit. I've been all over the place with new career ideas in the past (turns out bipolar 2 and ADHD make getting your poo poo together for sustained periods of time kind of hard!), so I just keep doing IT because that's the only thing I know how to do.

Now I'm 37 with a wife and a 2 year old so going back to school is going to be hard...but the thought of continuing in this uninteresting (to me) field doing IT in the financial sector (which is a net negative to society), filling out stupid rear end security audit forms is just the worst. It's a WFH gig, I make great money, but holy poo poo is it unfulfilling and empty. I feel like I'm thinking clearly for the first time maybe in my entire life and it makes me want to finally decide what I want to be when I grow up lol.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I want a time waster/mindless game, preferably for Switch. Which is better, Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing? They both seem relatively the same - or is there a better one?

Kind of a taste thing there I think? They're both good and cute and sort of similar. I guess you can recruit and kick out animals from your island in AC if you think you'd find an animal friend you like more than the others, with SV you're kinda stuck with the characters in town. AC incentivizes you to play and do something for at least a few minutes every (real life) day, I don't remember that from Stardew Valley.

Honestly if one is cheaper than the other I'd go with that to figure out if you like it or not. If you like one you'll probably like the other.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Kind of a taste thing there I think? They're both good and cute and sort of similar. I guess you can recruit and kick out animals from your island in AC if you think you'd find an animal friend you like more than the others, with SV you're kinda stuck with the characters in town. AC incentivizes you to play and do something for at least a few minutes every (real life) day, I don't remember that from Stardew Valley.

Honestly if one is cheaper than the other I'd go with that to figure out if you like it or not. If you like one you'll probably like the other.

Yeah fair enough. Stardew is $15 vs $50 for AC on switch. Though I just looked and Stardew is free on game pass so maybe I’ll try it there first. Thanks!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Stardew Valley is Harvest Moon, if you ever played that, there’s a little more structure between farming and relationships and a sense of time and all, though also no firm end point and more depth/variability than you’d at first think. Animal Crossing is just hang out with your chill animal friends, round out collections, and play dress up/home design your island, less formulaic farming/fishing/routine to rely on and more just messing with costumes and all. My kid likes AC more, I prefer SV, but it’s all very nice, simplistic happy times.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlindSite posted:

Juno temple looking rough.

She is extremely thin. I need her to eat something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So uh, hear me out there, Baz Luhrmann's Elvis is not a bad movie.

Ehud posted:

I've never completed a college degree, so I could go literally any direction for an undergrad. I'm thinking about making an appointment with a counselor at my local community college to try and narrow my focus a bit. I've been all over the place with new career ideas in the past (turns out bipolar 2 and ADHD make getting your poo poo together for sustained periods of time kind of hard!), so I just keep doing IT because that's the only thing I know how to do.

Because we all love Ehud and you expressed interested, the track for PA-C, education, experience, timelines ish that I did myself.

1. Degree - you have to have an undergrad degree. I had one in theater so I was fine there. Any degree will do as long as the grades are good. You say you never competed one earlier - I can assure you at this stage in your life the actual classwork, studying, tests etc will be a breeze. We're just so much smarter and able to focus now than we were at 18. Obviously your big thing now would be family obligations, and I can't offer you advice on that.

You can bang out an undergrad degree in about 2.5 - 3 years if you really dig, take accelerated courses, go year around etc. Again, that sounds intimidating, but the actual coursework will not be difficult.

2. Prereqs - these are science classes you have to have to apply. Generally these have to be taken within the last 10 years. They differ by school; and there's no national/state guidelines. Generally, they're going to be Bio 1+2, Anatomy and Physiology 1+2, Chem 1+2, Organic chem 1+2, Microbio, Statistics, some math bullshit, some liberal arts bullshit, etc. Then some schools will have further requirements like genetics, biochem, maybe physics (run screaming). Again, intimidating as above but it really won't be that hard. Organic 2 was a death march.

What I suggest is finding schools you would be interested, go to an advisor, and plot how quickly you could get it done. So I took, for example, Bio, Chem, AP 1 all at the same time. They wouldn't let me start orgo until I'd finished chem 2.

Schools will evaluate by your science GPA and your overall GPA. Again classwork will not be difficult....except for orgo 2. And like biochem I dropped the poo poo out of that loving class the second I got admitted. You can apply with classes pending if you've planned to take it.

3. Patient contact experience - the biggie. You effectively need a year of fulltime work's worth of it. This needs to be direct contact in a legitimate healthcare setting; my hours of personal training did not qualify. Every school will have a minimum list of hours, but more is always better. You can also apply with the hours that you'd be expected to have at time of acceptance.

There's honestly never been a better time to get some bullshit hours at a hospital. You could work transportation 1-2 shifts a week and bang it out before you knew it, if a school will accept it. You can get your CNA cert in like 4-6 weeks, work as needed, and just structure your work schedule around your classwork/family. That is, if you have the stomach for CNA work. I had no idea what I was getting into with that; I went to work at an inpatient rehab center and primarily worked with patients who were neuro injuries who needed full assist with bathing, toileting, wound care, etc. I don't want to overstate things but after like 2 weeks of that I was loving carved out of wood and nothing I've ever seen since has freaked me out. CNAs are getting like 27 dollars an hour at my hospital right now; it's nuts.

Paramedic is another popular way to go, but I'm not familiar with that track. You could be a scribe but I think that'd be boring as hell.

Never really got the impression any one type of hours helped with any of the classwork. When we got to doing actual techniques the people that had actually touched patients all ran together just so we didn't have some twitchy spaz blowing out our veins trying to start a line.

4. GRE - lots of places don't need this anymore. it's babytown frolics you don't even need to study for it

5. CASPA - application website for like 90% of schools. Centralized, opens annually at a certain time, huge loving scam

I started in like May 2016 with my CNA, started preereqs in the fall, was accepted spring/summer 2018 and started school that fall. Of course I didn't have any little crotch goblins running around, and I already had a liberal arts degree.

PA school is generally 5 quarters of didactic and 4 quarters of rotations. Didactic is just sitting there in class 8 hours a day drinking from a firehose. Then you go home and study. I can't imagine having worked during this. It was hard enough just to do one shift a month to keep up tuition assistance from my hospital.

My rotations were during covid and were a complete poo poo show. Generally you have to do Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Psych, Family, OBGYN, ER. We got an elective one that I spent with neuro. you take a test at the end of each.

Once you do ALL of that, you take the PANCE. I had my last rotation in november due to covid loving up poo poo and officially graduated in December, but I spent two straight months studying for the PANCE (and playing with Addie). The PANCE is considered one of the harder cert exams out there, but by the time I took that I'd had so many tests it was easy.

So yeah, there you have it.

If you wanted to go this route, I'd suggest getting a bio undergrad (just make sure it covers everything you need) and get your hours somewhere while you do it.

JOIN US

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Current mood:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Stardew rocks

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

Now I'm 37 with a wife and a 2 year old so going back to school is going to be hard...but the thought of continuing in this uninteresting (to me) field doing IT in the financial sector (which is a net negative to society), filling out stupid rear end security audit forms is just the worst. It's a WFH gig, I make great money, but holy poo poo is it unfulfilling and empty. I feel like I'm thinking clearly for the first time maybe in my entire life and it makes me want to finally decide what I want to be when I grow up lol.

My brother got his master's degree in a subset of biology and did it in a foreign country. He came back, and was only able to land a research job in academia, but enjoyed it for a bit. That said, after several years of the same thing and very little pay increases (it is academia) he ended up quitting and decided to go back to school to get a software engineering degree. He did it while with 2 kids and with him and his wife running an adult family home.

It's definitely possible! Certainly isn't going to be easy. When I did my master's program, everyone was working full time and a lot of my cohorts had kids too.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Ehud posted:

Great info ty!

Also I would encourage you to talk to your therapist about what fulfills you and what it might look like to live your values in your current situation and if you got a job.you felt more fulfilled in. It is a gigantic misnomer that you MUST HAVE fulfillment in your money making job. A lie we've been told since childhood that we are our job and the work you do for money must be Uber fulfilling. It's also OK to work something that is unfulfilled per se to support what does actually fulfill you. It can certainly.make that work easier when you connect the two

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Stardew is a Farmers Only dating sim. I will not be taking questions.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

So uh, hear me out there, Baz Luhrmann's Elvis is not a bad movie.

Because we all love Ehud and you expressed interested, the track for PA-C, education, experience, timelines ish that I did myself.

1. Degree - you have to have an undergrad degree. I had one in theater so I was fine there. Any degree will do as long as the grades are good. You say you never competed one earlier - I can assure you at this stage in your life the actual classwork, studying, tests etc will be a breeze. We're just so much smarter and able to focus now than we were at 18. Obviously your big thing now would be family obligations, and I can't offer you advice on that.

You can bang out an undergrad degree in about 2.5 - 3 years if you really dig, take accelerated courses, go year around etc. Again, that sounds intimidating, but the actual coursework will not be difficult.

Lol, yea right. My ability to focus is so much worse now than at 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

Amazing such a bad accident occurred. Supposedly the driver stopped on a dime.

I hate that this made me laugh